VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

This has always worked in the past but I just installed this for 2.7 - deleting the shaders first using the DCS Updater app - but the display on my monitor does not display the VR mask i.e. I get a full rectangular image on my monitor. Is this normal now or have I done something wrong?

EDIT: Ignore me. Just read about the mask situation here - 

Everything behaving normally now I've understood it all!

Edited by netizensmith
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skypirate said:

does the shader mod in 2.7 have version including the transparent water?

yes it does.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Normal to get significantly longer load times with the 2.7 shaders versus the 2.5.6 shaders? The previous versions used to get me in the cockpit in less than 5 minutes. Now it's taking me 15~20 minutes from launching DCS to the cockpit fully loading. Zooming in on the Mission Planner locks up DCS for a solid 3 minutes. Pretty sure I installed it correctly: Mod manager straight to the main directory. 

Edited by Nealius

12 hours ago, Nealius said:

Normal to get significantly longer load times with the 2.7 shaders versus the 2.5.6 shaders? The previous versions used to get me in the cockpit in less than 5 minutes. Now it's taking me 15~20 minutes from launching DCS to the cockpit fully loading. Zooming in on the Mission Planner locks up DCS for a solid 3 minutes. Pretty sure I installed it correctly: Mod manager straight to the main directory. 

Same situation here, OVGME to install it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z97-A/ i7-4790K/ Hyper 212 EVO/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1080 Strix OC/ Supernova 750/ X-55/ TiR

this will be true the first time you load a cockpit as the shaders have to recompile; subsequent visits to the same cockpit/terrain will be faster 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

When I use the NVGs in the AV8B the green circle (nvg vision) appears quite small, as if the nvgs are too far away from your eyes. It's great that I can see around the NVG circle but I would like it to be a bit bigger. Is there a way to do this?

On 3/13/2021 at 3:42 AM, speed-of-heat said:

Have you tried turning off simple transparency i the config file?

Does this stop the fps-drops when shooting at the ground? I get very high gpu spikes when gun rounds hit the ground and around smoke.

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

this will be true the first time you load a cockpit as the shaders have to recompile; subsequent visits to the same cockpit/terrain will be faster 

With all the bugs in DCS we have to clear shader files after every flight, so subsequent visits will always be slow 🤣

Oddly, I also did not see any performance improvement. Framerates were the same with or without the shaders mod for me. Strange compared to 2.5.6 where I got a 15~20fps boost. 

7 hours ago, Vitallini said:

Does this stop the fps-drops when shooting at the ground? I get very high gpu spikes when gun rounds hit the ground and around smoke.

No idea, try it and find out... 

Neither the vanilla here nor @speed-of-heat's mods work with the Hoggit servers (the only ones I play on).

Any suggestions?  Thank y'all very much for this work.

Edit: They don't work for me.  Can anyone else load into either of those servers with any of these mods?

Edited by logan683

the only one that would work is the IC pass version, which will only work if you go in and fly in MP directly.

if you have loaded the shader for the first time, you need ideally to load the mission you will play and the aircraft you will fly without going into Multiplayer first, or it might time out while the shaders are compiling... then exit DCS and reload then go back in ...you should now be able to connect with the IC pass version 

Edited by speed-of-heat

Install it using a MOD manager, if you want to eyeball check go to your DCS game installation folder and into Bazar\shaders\deferred look for _HMD.hlsl which isnt there otherwise 

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Install it using a MOD manager, if you want to eyeball check go to your DCS game installation folder and into Bazar\shaders\deferred look for _HMD.hlsl which isnt there otherwise 

I did use a mod manger but I was used to see the mask ..and now it s not. But I checked like you said and it s ok. Thank you

With 2.7, the mask is provided by the main game not the mod, and the game provided mask is only visible in flight, not in the menu.  There are some people reporting that they aren’t seeing a mask in flight in the 2d mirror, this seems to be a bug, but it is also present without the mod.

5 hours ago, Convexrook said:

Where do we find the new settings for mask size as it is incorrect for the Reverb. A Blue section is visible at the bottom in the headset

Reverb_G2_LeftEye_DCS_1.png

The mask size, is controlled by the main game. Not the mod.

the mask size seems to be held in this file

x:\<installation path>\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\HMDMask.fx... specifically this part of the code

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
	return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

changing the values from 1 to 0.9 will reduce the size of the area masked e.g. 

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
	return float4(pos, 0.9, 0.9);
}

which seems to be enough to mask the edges out, both numbers have to be the same. 

I have briefly tried variants such as 0.99 which does seem to offer finer control, and still reduce the mask area accordingly, you will need to find the right number for you, as i suspect it has a lot to do with the mask and facial geometry and interface. I suspect there will be a corresponding drop in performance (I havent tested) but that would make sense, I have no sense of scale on how much it would be.

Always make a copy of the original file before you make any changes, and preferably make any changes through a MOD Manager.  

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

I am not having a good experience at all with this updated version :(( 

when I move my head it is very jerky (not even close as smooth as it was before), the edges are shimmering/flickering. It s like the mod is not installed; acttualy even worse..since I didn t have the shimmering issue ever before.

Any ideas? (I m using a hp reverb g2)

Thank u guys

Edited by Gabi_tro

you have actually provided no information with which to provide you "ideas"... 

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

you have actually provided no information with which to provide you "ideas"... 

ahh?? I described the issue I m having! What info are you talking about?

I don t even know why I m answering. You are that kind of guy that is here for anything else but helping 😉

Edited by Gabi_tro

8 minutes ago, Gabi_tro said:

ahh?? I described the issue I m having! What info are you talking about?

I don t even know why I m answering. You are that kind of guy that is here for anything else but helping 😉

That's a little harsh of a comment, and frankly untrue. Perhaps a little more detail re the issue and a minor adjustment to your tone and I'm sure there are many here that would offer their help 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero