VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Here is a screen shot of the reflections i mentioned in an earlier post.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

Same here... this mod is grate, but I’ve uninstalled for some graphics trouble

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Thanks Kegetys for your work to keep this MOD updated, essential for many VR users -as is my case.

I in particular have always tried to keep the original visual aspect of the simulator as much as I could. For this maintenance, original files from the DCS folders themselves, instead of replacing them with the ones proposed by your MOD. Reaching an optimal performance / visual compromise.

To date there has been no problem keeping the original DCS file "water.fx". When I install the one that comes with its mod, I lose the transparent effect of the sea and rivers -and it is an effect that I would not like to lose from the simulator.

But since version 2.5.6, if you don't include the "water.fx" file of your MOD, the water looks crystal clear and completely transparent. Giving an unreal feeling. View this forum post to verify how rivers and lakes flow on the Caucasus map.

I've been testing for a few days editing the file "water.fx" and it got muddy the river water, but in the sea you can still see the bottom ... I don't know if this is the file you will have to touch, I am going to do trial and error trials. Can you guide me which file should I look at?

Could an alternate MOD file be made that would keep the water as seen in DCS? If you use your "water.fx" the water looks very dark and on the Gulf map it looks very sad.

Actually for me it would be enough with a MOD that simply allows to represent what is visible with the viewer (corner cropping). And also that the MSAA applies specifically to the central zone.

Personally with a MOD that only did this it would be enough for me: When I turn off the MSAA I gain a lot of fps but I see a lot of brightness and with its MOD I remove enough brightness and the performance does not suffer.

Could you do something about it?

Regards

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080, 32GB 3600MHz, W10 64 & Rift S

remove water.fx from the MOD before applying it

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I often don’t see an FPS improvement, what I do see is a gpu frametime reduction, though to be fair I haven’t flown the barrier in Ages...

Maybe it's because DCS is now mostly CPU bounded...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

No lines on A4 and radar screen and Mig21 scales.

I installed this mod but now I cannot see the radar reference lines on the Community A4-EC, and also on the Mig21 scale indicator and needle.

Any help to fix it?

Thank you

I removed the Water.fx file from the MOD and recompiled all the shaders.

The weird reflections over water are now gone.

Thanks for your help..!

Hello, Avalanche110:

If I remove the mod file "water.fx" I see the extremely transparent and crystalline water, typical of those photos of paradise beaches in the Caribbean ...

The effect is most noticeable in shallow water because the bottom details are clearly visible...

In the gulf map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xPVibQbCyiTzUxyLqMSOBirvz-ZcVWx8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dhQD2FEYztoxSgNzCBtqIRiU--avb1-x

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q7_XHsNFpTQ3qxDetdJJF1HyerrB-4dr

...and in the Caucasus map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r9LZOPazmLS9h_imQGkMw5k05BFR9pfC

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fOFMsGPAHf12AB2oMj-MycuTUpGDNDwd

Do they look that transparent to you?

A greeting

P.S. How do you make the images appear directly?

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello, Avalanche110:

If I remove the mod file "water.fx" I see the extremely transparent and crystalline water, typical of those photos of paradise beaches in the Caribbean ...

The effect is most noticeable in shallow water because the bottom details are clearly visible...

In the gulf map:

A greeting

When you say you removed the water file, at what point did you do that? Before or after applying the mod?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hello, Avalanche110:

In the gulf map:

A greeting

i can't see your files, it keeps asking me to request access...

but the water in the the Gulf tends to be shallower meaning you can see more "sandy bottom"

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I'm sorry, stuartaston you're right. I forgot about the permissions

I think you can see them now.

And this for Imacken: "When you say you removed the water file, at what point did you do that? Before or after applying the mod?"

I do not directly include the mod file, so I understand that the original DCS file remains by default. Doing it that way is when I see the water as seen in the images.

I must also say that in the same way that I do not apply the mod's "water.fx" file, I exclude* others, so as not to have strange effects on the instrument panel dials when I fly towards the sun -for example.

(*)I do not delete them from the DCS folder: I replace them with the original files of the sim.

I try to install as few as possible so as not to lose graphic quality. When the simulator does not start because I have removed an essential one from the mod I put it back.

I'm doing trial / error trials...

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you have removed the water.fx file from the mod before applying the mod, then you have done it right.

The caucuses map seems to have ‘deeper’ and darker water, so it is ‘less’ transparent... simple test... remove the mod, look at the same area, and then apply the mod...and look again

But what you are seeing is just “the map”...

If I install the full mod I see the dark and non-transparent water in the Gulf: I don't like it.

If I install the mod without the mentioned file and others that I also remove on my own so that the visual aspect does not deteriorate too much: I get the transparent water of the images.

If I install the mod without the mentioned file, keeping the rest of files what the mod brings to replace: I have to do the test...but I imagine that I will get something similar to what Avalanche110 saw.

Then after eating I will do the tests and report the results.

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

I'm having this compilation error when I launch DCS after replacing bazar/shaders files and renaming misc/DCS folders

Could you help me?

Thanks!

you installed the wrong version of the MOD on the version of DCS you have...

Yes, that was the problem. Silly me! ^_^

Thanks!!!

glad you are up and running

Hi, is there a complete list of what file from the mod affects which aspects of the rendering? Some of them are self explanatory but not all.

From all the features I am interested in just few of them as I tried it once with not good at all results and I would just want to keep 3-4 things like:

- "Emulation" for the OpenVR hidden area mesh**

(It seems _helper.hlsl controls this by adding it)

- MSAA is applied only on the middle area of view***

(I think Compose.fx controls this, not sure if alone)

- Removed one GBuffer entirely for bandwidth savings

(probably GBuffer.hlsl controls it)

- Slight mip bias adjustment for text rendering (sharper text)

(I think ils151.hlsl commands this)

It looks like _HMD.hlsl is used to activate/deactivate most of the functions of the mod?

Thank you.

PS Also about the mirrors adjustments... anything to fix the backwards Z axis movement possible?

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

PS Also about the mirrors adjustments... anything to fix the backwards Z axis movement possible?

I don’t understand the question?

In all the cockpits the mirrors work backwards. When you get closer to them instead of your pilot getting closer filling the mirror it actually moves away getting smaller.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Not sure that’s a problem with the mod... try it without...

No it isn't but I thought that since is doing something to the mirrors shader maybe there is a fix for this ugly bug there too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any chance for a version with just

MSAA

NVG

Grass simplification

Z buffer

Leaving the canopy, shadows and bloom etc as is

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Find the files you don’t want in the mod before you apply it, delete them, and apply the mod... it’s not hard... it is essentially the same as doing the ic pass version, see my sig below...

though from memory the glass simplification is one of the major perf benefits along with the mask..

@stuartaston I think just to delete some files it is not done. Im new to lua and I try to figure out, what file affects which effect. I also need a version just with HMD-size and MSAA. Can you give us CaptYosi, jason peters, me and some others a hint, how to do such a version?

@CaptYosi I also got this strange clear water-effect, even when deleting the water-file before installing the mod.

so the MOD file over rights existing LUA files, if you delete the files you dont want it works; simple

the water file is a perfect example of this... the clear water is part of the upgrade to 2.5.6, the current shaders mod, doesnt account for it .. so by removing the file from the shaders mod you get the new water effects...