VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

the water reflections are stuck to my head movements. They appear, and only reflect off the water, but will not go away. I am flying the Hornet off of the SC. I DL the most current MOD for VR. Only increases FPS by 5 for me. So I will place the orig shaders back for now. I know there needs to be a new shader built for this current MOD. Just letting you know what I encountered.

I'm also using the Pimax 5K XR, with SteamVr. Not sure if SteamVr is causing this or not, since not many others are saying they are encountering this issue. I will try again, once a new MOD has been released. Or maybe some water MOD might fix this? IDK. But anyway, it's just DCS stuff right lol.

Dave.

the water reflections are stuck to my head movements. They appear, and only reflect off the water, but will not go away. I am flying the Hornet off of the SC. I DL the most current MOD for VR. Only increases FPS by 5 for me. So I will place the orig shaders back for now. I know there needs to be a new shader built for this current MOD. Just letting you know what I encountered.

Dave.

+1

I will be sticking with the original dcs shaders on the correct openbeta. Looks like they did some deep work on fixing the fps creeping bugs . Some good improvements.

Hoping they build on this development.

Water reflection in vr shader mod could be disorienting over water especially in night missions.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'm also using the Pimax 5K XR, with SteamVr. Not sure if SteamVr is causing this or not, since not many others are saying they are encountering this issue. I will try again, once a new MOD has been released. Or maybe some water MOD might fix this? IDK. But anyway, it's just DCS stuff right lol.

Dave.

try the version in my signature block

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

try the version in my signature block

Thank you for the suggestion! Regarding the links in your Signature you have two relating to the VR Mod. ( Shaders MOD for VR and / Shaders MOD for VR with IC pass and clear water )

Being this is a water issue, and I don't care about IC since I mainly play single player, which if not all the links should I download? One of the options says clear water, so is that the one i need to try out?

Thanks.

Dave

For some ppl clear water becomes a bit of an issue - you cant really see the water like rivers. They look like wet lands and not rivers so to speak. Just focus on the VR shaders for now and look for something that works.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

OK my normally butchers knife approach works; if you remove the water.fx from the mod folder you get the water as intended and it seems to pass IC.

well done @wju , please accept my apologies.

i have included an updated zip file.

if you make any changes to the graphics settings in game you will likely need to reclear the fxo and metashaders2 file in order to pass the IC check.

i will do some perf testing tomorrow ...

I affirm:

If you remove the "water.fx" file from the wju mod lite before installing it (i.e. keeping the original "water.fx" file from the sim), it works perfectly.

The water looks perfect, now there is no longer the problem of transparent rivers...

I tried today, the wju mod as is and leaves the water dark and without the beauty of its transparency. I have also observed those bright white wakes, which I never observed before?!

So I've put back the original file of the simulator itself.

In the mod it works the mask size for the MSAA, that from what I see in the forums the option of the simulator to apply this mask still doesn't seem to work...

Greetings

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by CaptYosi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080, 32GB 3600MHz, W10 64 & Rift S

Thank you for the suggestion! Regarding the links in your Signature you have two relating to the VR Mod. ( Shaders MOD for VR and / Shaders MOD for VR with IC pass and clear water )

Being this is a water issue, and I don't care about IC since I mainly play single player, which if not all the links should I download? One of the options says clear water, so is that the one i need to try out?

Thanks.

Dave

The one with clear water.... which is basically the wju mod minus water,fx

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

For some ppl clear water becomes a bit of an issue - you cant really see the water like rivers. They look like wet lands and not rivers so to speak. Just focus on the VR shaders for now and look for something that works.

Again this is fixed now, as per the file in my sig block, which allows 256 ‘s water and wju’s ic pass version of kegetys mod

Edited by speed-of-heat

Another update added to the first post for the latest DCS version. Full list of changes:

2.5.6.49314:

- Renamed the mod to 'DCS World VR shaders mod'

- Compatibility with DCS World version 2.5.6.49314 (23.5.2020)

- Removed MSAA_MASKSIZE setting as ED "cloned" it to DCS itself

- Added multi-sampled terrain shadow sampling (less aliased shadows with MSAA)

- Added alpha-to-coverage support for trees and tree flat shadows (less aliased trees with MSAA)

- Fixed ship wakes being permanently "burned in" with high water detail

- Simple transparent objects rendering setting (off by default - not well tested)

- Fixed some issues with NVG especially with NVG_GAIN_ADJUSTS_POSITION enabled

I renamed the mod since it does more than just performance improvements nowdays.

AToC and terrain shadow multisampled reading are new features. With them and MSAA enabled, shadows and trees should appear much less aliased. Also tree shadows with "flat" shadows enabled should do the same. Comparison screenshot here: http://junk.kegetys.fi/atoc.jpg (its more pronounced in motion).

There is also a new optimization setting ENABLE_SIMPLE_TRANS which simplifies shading of transparent things like propeller in most propeller planes and smoke/dust effects. Its off by default though as I haven't had time to test it properly.

This version is slightly rushed as I have been busy with real flying, hopefully I didn't screw anything up. :)

Also, it seems DCS nowdays correctly picks up changes in the metashaders and deleting/renaming the metashader directiores for terrain is no longer necessary so I removed that part from the install instructions.

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Thanks for this Kegetys, is there any chance you could natively do an IC pass version?

Thanks for your great efforts Kegetys!!

Shouldn't we keep the masksize line in the config file as ED's masksize is applied after a full antialising of the game rather then before?

dont think the mask size in game works yet.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

it definitely does; if you set it to something different, between the ingame settings its pretty apparent as you go across the terrain in persian gulf. i can't get clear water to work, nor can i get IC pass ...

dont think the mask size in game works yet.

I think it does.

Set MSAA to x4, sit in the Hornet in Ready on the Ramp PGulf and move your head left and right to see the efects on all the lines on the ground.

Not sure we see any benefit in performance terms though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

it definitely does; if you set it to something different, between the ingame settings its pretty apparent as you go across the terrain in persian gulf. i can't get clear water to work, nor can i get IC pass ...

Yep, we're back to the black water syndrome. It's funny, because it looks OK from a distance, but overhead, no depth or detail at all.

Have you tried putting back the original water file?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

is there any chance you could natively do an IC pass version?

Maintaining multiple versions would be too much work. It would be best if ED would just allow signing of mods.

ED's MSAA mask should function identically to mine (given they almost certainly even copied the line that does it from the mod). Though the implementation is also slightly different, but it would be odd for them to not even check it works. :)

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

leaving the terrain meta caches in place for terrain in place, but clearing the fxo and metashaders2, applying the MOD sans water.fx, seem to give you a clear water fix ... but it is too transparent again on some of the shallower water

I think it does.

Set MSAA to x4, sit in the Hornet in Ready on the Ramp PGulf and move your head left and right to see the efects on all the lines on the ground.

Not sure we see any benefit in performance terms though.

Ill check, but someone brought up a bug report on this earlier yesterday and I see it referenced in this thread..but looks like its only working in an either/or function. Right now Im only limited to 2x.

My wallpaper and skins

OK this works in terms of clear water , and passes IC (on the 2nd load .. i have no idea why!) it is still very much work in progress, and there isn't much left of Kegetys original mod, im goign to try and add some files back in slowly and see when it breaks ...

I tried with the latest Mod. Thanks for putting this together. I can't imagine how much work goes into this. Anyway, I still had the water reflections in the Pimax Headset. But that could be SteamVr. Turning the water textures to LOW fixes it. No more reflections, but also don't have any white caps. But I'm fine with that. It gave a slight performance boost. : )

I can now sit on the new SC with SteamVr at 100% PD 1.1 and runs smooth. Also @speed-of-heat Great work. Your screen shots of settings also helped.

Dave.