VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

I think that’s what the ic pass versions of the mod that people use do.

There is a link in the YouTube video by the author here

Stuart, no, sadly that is not the case. I tried it again to check, and see the results attached.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

my guess is not copying over water.fx would fix that

Thanks Stuart,

I'll try that the next time I experiment with the mod. I've never seen any benefit of it myself, and in fact, when I tried the IC pass version earlier, I was actually getting worse frame times with the mod in the Viper PG Free Flight mission.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks Stuart,

I'll try that the next time I experiment with the mod. I've never seen any benefit of it myself, and in fact, when I tried the IC pass version earlier, I was actually getting worse frame times with the mod in the Viper PG Free Flight mission.

for me the reverb on my gfx card it provides a marginal benefit in terms of frame times normally, i haven't tried the IC pass version before in anger

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

for me the reverb on my gfx card it provides a marginal benefit in terms of frame times normally, i haven't tried the IC pass version before in anger

But, do you think the 'marginal' benefits are worth the other visual degradations? I'm thinking shadows, sun, grass, etc.

I never have grass switched on, i only rarely fly choppers and war birds if i see grass its because im about to auger in... The last pass kind of fixed sun, and shadows i normally have them on flat when i have them so i really don't see much difference if at all... and with the water in its current shape, that looks pretty sweet.

it comes down to when can i upgrade my gfx card, and assuming the toilet-roll apocalypse doesn't end us all, that will be likely August or so, so i will liekly wait until the end of the year for the 3k series and see where we are, id get something like a 10-20% perf upgrade if i went to a 2080ti ... and that's not worth spending over a grand on.

In the mean time everything i can do to keep the frame times as close to 11 and far enough away from 22ms as i can is goodness t o let me fly more complex scenarios stutter free and smooth etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I never have grass switched on, i only rarely fly choppers and war birds if i see grass its because im about to auger in... The last pass kind of fixed sun, and shadows i normally have them on flat when i have them so i really don't see much difference if at all... and with the water in its current shape, that looks pretty sweet.

it comes down to when can i upgrade my gfx card, and assuming the toilet-roll apocalypse doesn't end us all, that will be likely August or so, so i will liekly wait until the end of the year for the 3k series and see where we are, id get something like a 10-20% perf upgrade if i went to a 2080ti ... and that's not worth spending over a grand on.

In the mean time everything i can do to keep the frame times as close to 11 and far enough away from 22ms as i can is goodness t o let me fly more complex scenarios stutter free and smooth etc...

That's fair enough. The only thing I would question is your 2080Ti upgrade figures. More like £500 than a grand once you sell your 1080Ti for £500 on eBay!

yeah true but still doubling in cost for ish perf benefits and new hotness coming at the end of the year

It's like all hardware decisions really, depends on your attitude to cash vs performance vs timing. Especially now, I think the end of year is optimistic for the 3080s release, and even longer to get supplies out there if the 2080Ti situation is anything to go by.

So, you have still got the best part of a year to enjoy a significant 15-20% improvement for a few hundred pounds. All very much a personal decision, of course. There is no right and wrong, but I always go for the performance option every time!

indeed, in the mean time i'm happy to compromise ... but also i just removed a whole bunch of my bottle necks at the CPU end so senior management might melt down if i spend 500 quid (also it will be definitely seen as a grand despite your logic )on a new graphics card ... and rightly so (i already had my treat for this half of the year) :)

Fair enough! I might try the mod again with water reenabled, although I’m not hopeful of seeing any improvement. What value do you use for mask on the Reverb?

670, thats why the perf is so marginal IMO the mask needs to be so big to avoid the "ring" witthe O+ Vive and Rift-S its much higher

also in a smilar way you can also remove the sun, ray, & grass effects as well if you want them, not sure you can change shadows though

so running the IC Pass version (no water) i get an 7-9% frametime improvement on my GPU on the same settings etc... compared to running native, that was a pretty crude test level flight in an F/A-18 in Caucuses instant action free flight but it feels about right

so i have to be clear I'm using the IC version

the link is in the notes on the video... that is IC compliant on the latest beta patch. I removed the water.fx file (before you apply the patch) then you get the new water graphics.

If you want to build your own IC compliant version from Kegetys, you need to use something like OvGME or JGSME to apply the MOD, then having applied it .. go into game and go to multiplayer, look at the list of files that it says you are breaking the IC with, not them down. Then unapply the mod , then edit the mod directory and delete those files, then reapply the mod ... and it should all work

670, thats why the perf is so marginal IMO the mask needs to be so big to avoid the "ring" witthe O+ Vive and Rift-S its much higher

So, I tried the mod again, and better experience putting back in the water effects. Sun is still horrible though. Not sure about any performance boost, but I'll try again tomorrow.

I am using 520 as mask. Interesting how that is so much smaller than your value. What could be the reason? Head shape?

So, I tried the mod again, and better experience putting back in the water effects. Sun is still horrible though. Not sure about any performance boost, but I'll try again tomorrow.

I am using 520 as mask. Interesting how that is so much smaller than your value. What could be the reason? Head shape?

i just tried 520 and i get a very nasty distortion around the edge ... quite horrible... i have quite a wide ipd 68.5 i wonder if that could be causing the distortion issue for me?

Edited by speed-of-heat

i just tried 520 and i get a very nasty distortion around the edge ... quite horrible... i have quite a wide ipd 68.5 i wonder if that could be causing the distortion issue for me?

Hmm, interesting isn’t it? I wonder what is making the difference between us.

no idea, too many variables face shape, ipd , peripheral vision ...whatever works :)

It's like all hardware decisions really, depends on your attitude to cash vs performance vs timing. Especially now, I think the end of year is optimistic for the 3080s release, and even longer to get supplies out there if the 2080Ti situation is anything to go by.

So, you have still got the best part of a year to enjoy a significant 15-20% improvement for a few hundred pounds. All very much a personal decision, of course. There is no right and wrong, but I always go for the performance option every time!

I am going to wait for the next series of cards, even though I have the money to upgrade my 1080 now, would love to get an upgrade but I will be glad I held off when the next series is released.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Let me try something here and see if it fly's☺:

Instead of the answer always being that we investors must yearly upgrade to newer $$$ equipment to stay ahead of the ED engine nerfing 'updates'...

And

Instead of every year ED making it clear that over 90% of their efforts are going towards Payware instead of optimizing DCS, or instead of completing aircraft that have been in 'early access' comas [some for over 18 months]..

Then

Would not the smart thing to be for us investors to simply close our wallets and declare,

"Hey ED, love the sim. But no more cashflow until the hundred$ each of us have invested into aircraft since 2017 actually are finished and polished in an updated sim engine. "

Argument:

Those new to DCS are immediately introduced to:

Looks beautiful. Is very expensive. Most experience stutters and low fps. Must have a very pricey rig to hope for ANY fair performance. ED updates nearly always hose performance.

ED is famous for releasing unfinished aircraft that are almost never finished.

BUT WHAT IF.......

What if the opposite of what I just wrote was true instead?

Imagine how much $$ ED would make if those new and old to DCS heard:

DCS runs FANTASTIC even on medium rigs. DCS aircraft are affordable, awesome and professionally well done and smooth running. There were stutter issues for 2 decades but those days are gone forever since ED optimized and included Vulkan.... DCS can't be beat for customer satisfaction.

Hey, if more than one person said it then it would have more weight and might actually have a chance of happening within the lifespans of us and our children☺!

All that needs doing is that customers make it clear they want more efforts into finishing, fixing, real-updates and optimizations -BEFORE- any more cashgrabs.

Let me try something here and see if it fly's☺:

Instead of the answer always being that we investors must yearly upgrade to newer $$$ equipment to stay ahead of the ED engine nerfing 'updates'...

And

Instead of every year ED making it clear that over 90% of their efforts are going towards Payware instead of optimizing DCS, or instead of completing aircraft that have been in 'early access' comas [some for over 18 months]..

Then

Would not the smart thing to be for us investors to simply close our wallets and declare,

"Hey ED, love the sim. But no more cashflow until the hundred$ each of us have invested into aircraft since 2017 actually are finished and polished in an updated sim engine. "

Argument:

Those new to DCS are immediately introduced to:

Looks beautiful. Is very expensive. Most experience stutters and low fps. Must have a very pricey rig to hope for ANY fair performance. ED updates nearly always hose performance.

ED is famous for releasing unfinished aircraft that are almost never finished.

BUT WHAT IF.......

What if the opposite of what I just wrote was true instead?

Imagine how much $$ ED would make if those new and old to DCS heard:

DCS runs FANTASTIC even on medium rigs. DCS aircraft are affordable, awesome and professionally well done and smooth running. There were stutter issues for 2 decades but those days are gone forever since ED optimized and included Vulkan.... DCS can't be beat for customer satisfaction.

Hey, if more than one person said it then it would have more weight and might actually have a chance of happening within the lifespans of us and our children☺!

All that needs doing is that customers make it clear they want more efforts into finishing, fixing, real-updates and optimizations -BEFORE- any more cashgrabs.

And this is relevant in a thread about a shaders mod because?