RWR and Sidearms not working after update

Hovis

As soon as I updated I set up a training mission to practice. RWR shows nothing and sidearms wont lock or change tone regardles of range.

I tried on Tor, Sa-13, Shilka and Hawk site, nothing at all. Tried on both nevada and caucasus maps

Since we have not touched the RWR in a long time, until NAV was ready this problem is on ED's side of the road.

We will check and solve it ASAP.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Since we have not touched the RWR in a long time, until NAV was ready this problem is on ED's side of the road.

We will check and solve it ASAP.

I hope do not have to wait 1 or more weeks, fix the lights and break the RWR... :doh:

CPU i7 9700K@5ghz | COOLER Corsair H100x | MB Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz | GPU MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio | SSD OS Samsung M.2 860 EVO 250GB / SSD DCS 860 Evo 500GB| PSU Antec HCG 850W Gold | SO Win 10 pro 64bit | MONITORS LG 27GL850/BENQ GW2780 | PERIFERICHE GAMING TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind + combat pedals + hydraulic damper | TM MFD Cougar | Logitech DFGT

"Mai discutere con un idiota, ti trascina al suo livello e ti batte con l'esperienza" cit. Oscar Wilde

There are other modules affected as well. I would wait until Friday, there is a hotfix inbound regarding to NineLine. But not sure what will be included.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried on Tor, Sa-13, Shilka and Hawk site,

Strela-10 (NATO "SA-13") is a IR missile platform that has only a ranging radar when required. Same is with a ZSU-23-4 (Shilka).

The 9S80 (NATO "Dog Ear") is the search radar that is used to give early warning and directions to Strela-10 and Shilkas.

Meaning, once you would get a ranging radar at you, there was already a IR missile coming at you (unless the "dog ears" gave the ranging as usually did) and the shilka radar beam is so narrow that once it has ranged you, you had lead already flying at you.

You can't shoot Sidearm against those as you don't have anything to lock on them.

IIRC, Wags wrote that the F/A-18C RWR is blind to those ranging radars and doesn't give you the warning as it ain't guidance or search radar.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3525754&postcount=5

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3525836&postcount=12

Even when you can detect the "Dog Ear" that is detecting you if flying higher, you can't see all the Shilkas and Strela-10 there until they engage automatic tracking and ranging, meaning those AA systems are silent until "Dog Ear" tells them that you are at their range and they engage you. And if you are hidden from a"Dog Ear" detection, each of those can be used visually to be targeted and then use their own radar to range you, or just estimate the range/and lead without giving warning at you.

Simply meaning, your Sidearm is suppose to be useless against those targets and only really useful against "Dog Ear".

Would there be a so stupid Shilka or Strela-10 gunner/radar operator that would start ranging at you when you are clearly outside of their engagement range, even estimated by visually? No....

And when they do that ranging, would you be there waiting to get the lock when you are likely already inside their engagement envelope and ready to shoot at you? No

Reason why TOR and Hawk search and track radars can't be locked is then another question.

DEC%20S3.jpg

8ZJVRBRRQVk

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Folks the problem was a last minute ED update to DCS base code. Any dll built before Tuesday July 3 has the problem.

We were told there is going to be a hotfix this Friday.

We are rebuilding the dlls today and can confirm that the RWR and Sidearms are operational again.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Folks the problem was a last minute ED update to DCS base code. Any dll built before Tuesday July 3 has the problem.

We are rebuilding the dlls today and can confirm that the RWR and Sidearms are operational again.

Why wait till Friday. Best to fix the rwr asap

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

DCS base code

Thats why we must wait until Friday

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Why wait till Friday. Best to fix the rwr asap

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Exactly

It's really funny in the context that the cause of the problem was a last minute code change. "Let's fix a last minute code change bug with a rushed quick fix and forget about the regression testing". Or maybe it's better to have some structure approach to the development/maintenance process within a "project" (more of a program) that is not exactly a notepad code and involves multiple teams across the world?

There are many advantages of using OB but also we should accept that things can get broken and not fixed immediately on a day after.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Or maybe it's better to have some structure approach to the development/maintenance process within a "project" (more of a program) that is not exactly a notepad code and involves multiple teams across the world?

Hah

Sorry, but world largest software projects that are like maybe most important software in the modern world, are mostly programmed just with a simple "notepads" (like Vi, Vim, Emacs, Micro-Emacs etc).

It is the code that matters, not the size of your tools.

There are many advantages of using OB but also we should accept that things can get broken and not fixed immediately on a day after.

^^ THIS!

Most people have no idea what so ever regarding the complexity to make things work in this sim.

When ever any of you feel the need to post " hey that should be a simple fix, please fix it" ... don't.

Its like a child walking up to a Formula One mechanic with a piece of lego and saying "this bit fits here nice and easy, please put it in".

The guys at RAZBAM all fly and enjoy this hobby too, have a bit of faith that they do their best with the mountain of complexity they have to deal with to get working toys out to the masses.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Hah

Sorry, but world largest software projects that are like maybe most important software in the modern world, are mostly programmed just with a simple "notepads" (like Vi, Vim, Emacs, Micro-Emacs etc).

It is the code that matters, not the size of your tools.

I didnt mean notepad as a programming tool but the complexity of the code... Still with all due the respect using IDE is more than a standard today.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I didnt mean notepad as a programming tool but the complexity of the code... Still with all due the respect using IDE is more than a standard today.

Yes, IDE is standard, but it doesn't make them a better ones...

Give a coder powerful text editor, a great version control system and flexible compiler and off you go for all size projects with a tens of thousands coders working the same project pushing changes continually.

For beginners, IDE is easier to start as even to compile something you just press a button. But we are talking easily a lot of about notepad level softwares.

But that ain't topic in this thread, just that even when fixes can be tiny ones, they can break a lot and anyways all should go through a proper testing workflow.

And anyways we are here now talking about couple days to get things fixed.... Like seriously! Not a life and death situation!

Couldnt this issue have been found almost instantly if there was a single tester running the update build before releasing it?

I'm pretty sure people would much rather push an update a few days rather than lose all RWR functionality and still wait for an update.

And then the reality dawned.

We are the testers :)

Couldnt this issue have been found almost instantly if there was a single tester running the update build before releasing it?

I'm pretty sure people would much rather push an update a few days rather than lose all RWR functionality and still wait for an update.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yes, theoretically it should be captured. In reality a perfect validation process where 100% of defects are captured does not exist. That's one of the reasons to have so called a "Beta" or actually staging version before going to release. I think we should be sure ED has done everything what is reasonable to test the patch before pushing it out.

Again we're talking about a defect in beta, not in release branch. Most probably the fix will be released tomorrow. Even if not it's not an end of the world. Just use the opportunity to build and practice your situational awareness with other means than the RWR.

Hi

Which of the items in today's changelog fixes this issue?

Cheers.