[ALL MODULES][SP/CO-OP] Liberation Dynamic Campaign

• 2 weeks later...

How does SAM sites react on HARM attacs? Do they shut down automatically or move a little like in the MOOSE script?

If yes, do average skill units not react at all? Can you give us some insight? Thanks.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to run Liberation on a network pc which does not have DCS installed on it?  I have edited the paths in the preferences file, but it still hangs on start up with  <can't find DCS installation>  (or something to that effect).

Cheers

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I already posted these ideas over to DISCORD but I figured I wanted to revitalize this thread, so here are my thoughts on how to tweak some parameters for immersion and variety of weather and lighting in Liberation missions:

A COUPLE OF IDEAS TO DIVERSIFY THE AMBIANCE

I have been thinking about something that seemed really important (to me at least): how to make all those missions feel diverse and immersive, visually…  I must say that the weather and the lighting is certainly one of the most important aspect of immersion (for me)…

(By the way, I am a private pilot in RL and I realized once that it is really funny how we search for the best time of day and best weather for our taste in our simulators and how much those are two variables in real life flight which cannot be chosen at all…😊).

Anyhow, since we CAN change these in DCS, I found (thanks to Mustang) that we can change the time of day, date or weather when we get into a (Liberation) mission and it doesn’t change anything in the end result since Liberation engine only records kills… so why not use this for better immersion.

I was a bit sick of repeated 08:00 and 12:00 noon flights over deserted terrain…

I want to share here with my fellow Liberation simmers my findings (I have been fiddling with dates and times a bit)…  I wanted to have a real Nordic kind of feeling, a campaign where Russians fight us in the mountains, at sea or down in the snowy valleys… I also wanted to find the best times for sunrise, sunset, full moons, etc… in order to get a better immersion and variety…

First thing, I am sure you all know, there is no winter textures in any other theater than Caucasus, period…  And to get them you need to set the date at an appropriate wintery month, which means the sunset and sunrise will be at different times than, say, June 1st default…

Here is a list of factors that could be tweaked at mission start (in DCS), that don’t affect Liberation engine at all, and that can provide some variety and immersion:

-Date : change the date for example, for February 1st in Caucasus (I know you all know that) and you get white fields and mountains…  Date will affect the phases of the moon as well (I found that the phases of the moon correspond pretty well with universal tools on the internet, real moon phases, so you can choose the year you want in combination with the month and date to get moon phases that you like… full moon, pitch black no moon, etc…).

-Start Time : whatever you have in the Liberation software, you can change before starting the real mission in DCS and it wont affect Liberation in any way… therefore, a suitable time with a sunrise, or a mission time that has a sunset an hour later than mission start can be very nice!

-New DCS clouds : of course, you can choose whatever you like, that will alter dramatically the gameplay of a mission (and together with the sunrise or time of day, it will make a combination of lighting effects that can be really beautiful!).  Oh, and not mentioning that you can correct some horrible weather that Liberation is always throwing at us (with overcast and rain all the way down to the deck…)

-New DCS clouds’ height! : this is another factor that is VERY important for ambiance… a BROKEN layer of clouds near the ground will block the sunrays but a high layer (BKN130 for example) will have the sunset shine underneath…

-Localized precipitation: since DCS’s new clouds we have localized precipitation!  If you choose the preset OVERCAST + RAIN 1, you will get some areas where it rains under the clouds and some other areas where it is clear….

-Temperature… if you set the temperature slider to +10 degrees C. you will get some rain for sure… if you set it to +5 (only in the Caucasus), you will get rain with a little bit of snow… (at least in February).  If you set it to 0 degrees C. you will get more snow with a bit of rain, and if you set it to minus 5 degrees C. or lower, you will get only snow!!!  Those subtilties can change your environment…

-Wind speed and direction (at ground level): if you set a wintery date (in Caucasus only) with a below zero temperature and a clouds preset to OVERCAST+RAIN 1 for example, adding some wind will make the snowflake travel horizontally across your canopy rather than falling down vertically… any combination of the above will lead to different results…

Here is an example of some settings that I used to make an immersive wintery campaign (Sorry I am a northerner… from Montréal… I love snow and mountains…):  after a lot of experimenting I found the following timings (they don’t concord exactly with RL data but I believe DCS doesn’t take into account DL Savings for example…) : 

In the CAUCASUS, at GROUND LEVEL, on FEBRUARY 1st , 1999

-the legal sunrise (Dusk) is at about            08:00

-actual sunrise is at about                            08:45

-actual sunset is about                                  18:15

-Legal sunset (Dawn)                                    18:50

-Moon rise (full moon)                                   19:40

-Moon set                                                        09:00

With this info, imagine the beautiful scenarios one can make with mission timings…

As an example, on that precise day (Feb. 1st, 1999), I tried flying in a southerly direction at 27000’ at 08:30 with a BROKEN4 preset (@max height of 13780’) over the Black Sea, close to the mountainous coast..

I had the full moon sailing above the clouds on my right hand canopy bow, ready to set, and a very red sunrise under the clouds on my left side… so beautiful…

Enjoy!

JEFX

Edited by JEFX
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

On 5/18/2021 at 1:17 PM, Sérvalpilot said:

Hey, 

Why was support for the Rafale mod removed?

Is it because of a technical issue or something else?

I don't believe the Rafale mod has yet been updated for 2.7, looking at their forum thread.

Me and a couple of friends have been flying a 2.5.1 Campaign and can't get our troops to take the "Golan North" base in the "Syrian - Battle for Golan Heights - Lite", even though the last three missions has been around the front attacking everything. Our mission before this one:
https://www.twins4ever.dk/files/DCS/Liberation251Campaign.zip  had us doing an Alpha strike on the front and our units from "Golan South" had "ELIMINATION" orders. Every RED unit was destroyed and our forces was parked close to "the base" which consist of 4 heli pads, command center, 2 garages and 3 Barracks 2 but the base does not change hands to our side...

The above zip file contains our campaign save and the last mission generated and flown by us.

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Cougar_DK
spelling

On 5/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, Cougar_DK said:

Me and a couple of friends have been flying a 2.5.1 Campaign and can't get our troops to take the "Golan North" base in the "Syrian - Battle for Golan Heights - Lite", even though the last three missions has been around the front attacking everything. Our mission before this one:
https://www.twins4ever.dk/files/DCS/Liberation251Campaign.zip  had us doing an Alpha strike on the front and our units from "Golan South" had "ELIMINATION" orders. Every RED unit was destroyed and our forces was parked close to "the base" which consist of 4 heli pads, command center, 2 garages and 3 Barracks 2 but the base does not change hands to our side...

The above zip file contains our campaign save and the last mission generated and flown by us.

Any suggestions? 

We have exactly the same issue.

Edited by Pikas62

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

I've just installed v2.5.1, and the option picklists are too large for me to select, thus unusable.  I have checkboxes, and they work fine.  The help text is also unusually large.  Anybody had this before and can explain how I resolve this problem?  I've rebooted and tried different scaling, with no luck.  Thanks in advance...I'm looking forward to using this.

db

2021-05-30 (14).png

2021-05-30 (15).png

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NaCH said:

I tried to add the Hind as a unit but is not available in the pydcs. Any idea how to add it manually??

you can't really. for now, just add some Mi-8's in and in the mission editor switch it to an Mi-24.

Just started experimenting with this. For some reason, moving ground unit "glow" with the same lighting effect as a burning vehicle (Except there is no fire- only the low).

Is this an option from the campaign (To make units easier to spot?) or is it a DCS bug in the current OB build?

Hi all!

We released a new version of DCS Liberation: https://github.com/dcs-liberation/dcs_liberation/releases/tag/4.0.0

DCS Liberation is a community-made tool that allows you to create a single-player or multiplayer PvE turn-based dynamic campaign. We are also happy to hear your feature requests or bug reports via github.

Highlights:

• Support for the latest version of DCS, including JDAMs for the Viper, Cyprus airfields, and the flyable Hind.
  • Refueling missions are now plannable.
  • Squadrons now have a (configurable) maximum size and replenish at a (configurable) rate per turn.
  • Aircraft price audit.
  • Several bug fixes and UX improvements.

Full patch notes are included below:

Saves from 3.x are not compatible with 4.0.

Features/Improvements
[Engine] Support for DCS 2.7.2.7910.1 and newer, including Cyprus, F-16 JDAMs, and the Hind.
[Campaign] Squadrons now (optionally, off by default) have a maximum size and killed pilots replenish at a limited rate.
[Campaign] Added an option to disable levelling up of AI pilots.
[Campaign] Added Russian Intervention 2015 campaign on Syria, for a small and somewhat realistic Russian COIN scenario.
[Campaign] Added Operation Atilla campaign on Syria, for a reasonably large invasion of Cyprus scenario.
[Campaign AI] AI will plan Tanker flights.
[Campaign AI] Removed max distance for AEW&C auto planning.
[Economy] Adjusted prices for aircraft to balance out some price inconsistencies.
[Factions] Added more tankers to factions.
[Flight Planner] Added ability to plan Tankers.
[Modding] Campaign format version is now 7.0 to account for DCS map changes that made scenery strike targets incompatible with existing campaigns.
[Mods] Added support for the Gripen mod.
[Mods] Removes MB-339PAN support, as the mod is now deprecated and no longer works with DCS 2.7+.
[Mission Generation] Added support for "Neutral Dot" label options.
[New Game Wizard] Mods are now selected via checkboxes in the new game wizard, not as separate factions.
[UI] Ctrl click and shift click now buy or sell 5 or 10 units respectively.
[UI] Multiple waypoints can now be deleted simultaneously if multiple waypoints are selected.
[UI] Carriers and LHAs now match the colour of airfields, and their destination icons are translucent.
[UI] Updated intel box text for first turn.
[UI] Base Capture Cheat is now usable at all bases and can also be used to transfer player-owned bases to OPFOR.
[UI] Pass Turn button is relabled as "Begin Campaign" on Turn 0.
[UI] Added a ruler to the map.
[UI] Liberation now saves games to <DCS user directory>/Liberation/Saves by default to declutter the main directory.

Fixes
[Campaign AI] Fix procurement for factions that lack some unit types.
[Campaign AI] Fix auto purchase of aircraft for factions that have no transport aircraft.
[Campaign AI] Fix refunding of pending aircraft purchases when a side has no factory available.
[Mission Generation] Fixed problem with mission load when control point name contained an apostrophe.
[Mission Generation] Fixed EWR group names so they contribute to Skynet again.
[Mission Generation] Fixed duplicate name error when generating convoys and cargo ships when creating manual transfers after loading a game.
[Mission Generation] Fixed empty convoys not being disbanded when all units are killed/removed.
[Mission Generation] Fixed player losing frontline progress when skipping from turn 0 to turn 1.
[Mission Generation] Fixed issue where frontline would only search to the right for valid locations.
[UI] Made non-interactive map elements less obstructive.
[UI] Added support for Neutral Dot difficulty label.
[UI] Clear skies at night no longer described as "Sunny" by the weather widget.
[UI] Removed ability to buy (useless) ground units at carriers and LHAs.
[UI] Fixed enable/disable of buy/sell buttons.
[UI] EWRs now appear in the custom waypoint list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

Just started experimenting with this. For some reason, moving ground unit "glow" with the same lighting effect as a burning vehicle (Except there is no fire- only the low).

Is this an option from the campaign (To make units easier to spot?) or is it a DCS bug in the current OB build?

Hi - we believe it's a DCS bug. We've tried to track it down for a while now, and haven't managed to so far. It's still being investigated, however.

• Like 1

Anybody have or see an issue where the Main Map in the Liberation GUI is just blank white? same happened to me with 3.0 so I stayed with 2.x, but now 4.0 is having that same problem. Works fine when I try it in a VM I have on the same PC though. Very odd.

image.png

EDIT:- For others who might encounter this.....

Maptiles are loaded from the internet now in v3.0 onward.
"Its Always DNS"
Simply Toggling my DNS ad-filter (Pi-Hole) brought it to life, can't find what it was actually blocking, but it 's working now regardless.
(Thanks to Malakhit for the hint.)

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--
  • Like 1

Why are the older campaigns like 'Iranian Invasion' and 'Inherent Resolve' not available in 4.0?

The 4.0 included campaigns lack a lot of variety - especially for the Persian Gulf, they seem to pack enemy air assets into a small area.... Iran just spams F-14's and with the current AI tactics, it's neither fun nor authentic.

• Thanks 1

Great update! Especially with Hind and Syria insurgent scenario. Thanks a lot for v4.0.

Please will be possible to make helicopter flight planner to not set waypoint height as 20000ft and set it to some lower alt above terrain level so helis will copy terrain? 20000ft is bit much I think. 

Edited by ataribaby

1 minute ago, Furiz said:

My DCS doesnt see .liberation files? before it was .miz

DCS does not need to see the .liberation file. That is for the Liberation engine. The mission file that Liberation creates is still a .miz file, which should be in your Missions folder. Unless you changed something.

• Thanks 1

Just now, VeeSPIKE said:

DCS does not need to see the .liberation file. That is for the Liberation engine. The mission file that Liberation creates is still a .miz file, which should be in your Missions folder. Unless you changed something.

Ah yea you are right, haven't played liberation since 2.3 version 😄 thanks

How do you guys usually handle mission completion in big campaigns. was trying that campaign where you're the US trying to capture Cyprus from the Russians. 10+ packages planned by the AI. i flew my mission and made it back to the carrier, but 70% of the packages have yet to even get started yet. wondering if i should just leave the mission running for an hour or so to let them all finish?! 

Last time I played the utterly fantastic Liberation was in Dec 2020. I tried 4.00 last night and I couldn’t get the Culling option to work. I set it to 100, 150, and 200 miles but each time the whole map was populated. It used to work like a charm, has something changed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as at the moment it’s unplayable and makes my CPU cry hot fiery tears.

it was one of the Syrian Campaigns if that makes any difference.