[ALL MODULES][SP/CO-OP] Liberation Dynamic Campaign

Thanks Dan. I missed that reply from khopa in my searches.

I've compared the contents of <dcs>\scripts\missionscripting.lua and <liberation>\resources\scripts\missionscripting.lua, and they are both identical. I've also verified that liberation is rewriting <dcs>\scripts\missionscripting.lua each time I launch liberation.

I think I've figured out the root cause of my issue as well as a workaround.

I have three DCS directories on my system.

1. D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World: My initial stable install now converted to an OB install.

2. C:\Users\<USER>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta: An OB saved games directory created when I converted #1 from stable to OB.

3. C:\Users\<USER>\Saved Games\DCS: My initial saved game directory from the initial stable install.

I've configured my DCS installation to use my saved game directory #3 instead of #2. Liberation is picking up and writing the mission files to directory #2 which is not used. If I run the mission from directory #2 I get the script error on mission exit. However, if I move the mission file from directory #2 to directory #3, launch DCS, and then run the mission everything works great!

For now I'll just manually move the mission files generated by Liberation until the next RC is released in which khopa has stated will allow us to manually specify the saved games directory which should fix the problem for me.

Hello guys,

The next version will include a configuration windows on start up.

2B5qgsB.png

It should make life easier for everyone.

I know I have been a bit silent lately, and it has been a couple of weeks since the last version, but don't worry i'm still working on this :).

I've had DCS crash on me in the F10 screen a couple of times after issuing orders to friendly units in the F10 view. Haven't had any crashes so far if I let friendly units do their thing and avoid assigning them new targets or orders to stop attacking or move orders.

Thanks for picking this project up, Khopa. I've really been enjoying it and DCS is sorely in need of campaigns like this.

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Hello guys,

The next version will include a configuration windows on start up.

2B5qgsB.png

It should make life easier for everyone.

I know I have been a bit silent lately, and it has been a couple of weeks since the last version, but don't worry i'm still working on this :).

Very much appreciated. I have some commits ready for your Dev build (some minor stuff that created errors when you want to proceed to the next turn).

I have played the mission from the current Dev build with some friends and it seems that in the night missions you will be started in the air even if you select "Runway" in the settings.

Otherwise they run fine.

A few suggestions though:

- The amount of airplanes you have to fight of in the first rounds is huge. It may be possible to reduce the ai start resources?

- I know you do not like the idea of ground starting ai airplanes, but at least for the enemy it would be essential in my opinion. There were situations where we cleared the sky and a few seconds later some enemy migs spawned right on our 6 and shot us down.

The problem with stuck ai during taxing can be handled with some Moose scripts.

- Adding Moose

I think mainly about the following functions :

*Airboss script for the carriers

*Intercept mission that are triggered when airplanes get close to an airfield

*Handling ATC and ground traffic (in order to respawn stuck airplanes)

*Repairing destroyed Sam sites, factory and base defenses via CTLD and some Moose magic

*Some Warehouse and logistic functions (described as an additional point)

*Easily spawning airplanes and groups via Moose

- Further down the road I would absolutely love to see the possibility to buy loadouts and fuel.

They would be delivered by supply planes during the next mission and could be intercepted

I would like to help where I can, even if my time at my computer is very limited (family and real life stuff).

I wouldn't like to see more scripts, especially complex ones, integrated into Liberation. Not because they aren't good or nice additions, but because they are potential source of bugs. The AI in DCS isn't working as intendet right now and maybe for quite a while in the future. And every update seems to brake AI behavior in some manner.

Liberation is really good playable right now and to make the AI and the mission script as rudimentary as possible will make this very robust to future updates that usually brake a lot of other missions and campaigns.

Though it would be nice to have cargo missions for helicopters. But thats my opinion. Others asked for the air defence script you ask for some mose scripts, i ask for cargo missions and another one asks for other stuff. At the end of the day the missions wont work and nobody is able to figure out why.

I would like to see improvements in the Liberation app itself and leave the mission features to the DCS devs.

That's only my opinion. And i have too made suggestions to Khopa for features in his version i would like to see. I do not want to say your ideas are bad or i would quit playing Liberation or whatever. I just want give my two cents to the increasing request of (surely good) mission scripts into liberation.

I would like to see more features with the DCS basic mission editor possibilities. Like an vanilla JTAC. Without too much complicated scripting. Even than, there is a possibility of more bugs with more features. But as mission builder myself, i have made the experience that a mission works best when you keep things as basic as possible.

The amount of airplanes you have to fight of in the first rounds is huge. It may be possible to reduce the ai start resources?

For me this is a very immersive part of Liberation as you have to take all your ressources to achieve air superiority in the AO first. I like how this plays out now and that was the first time in DCS where i played A2A missions and had the feeling of really accomplish something usefull.

But again i think this is a matter of taste. Maybe at some point you can customize things like that in the campaign setup. I would like to be able to contribute things like this too. But there are time constrains for me too and i never used python before.

Edited by The_Dan

Khopa,

I'm really enjoying Liberation. I can select my primary mission (Strike, CAP, SEAD, etc.) that I want to focus on for that flight, but I really have to keep my head on a swivel in a way that's just not present in the default missions/campaigns. I'm also able to use my DLC maps along with the SC. This way I don't have to take the time to create my own mission, and I also have no idea what the enemy is doing like I would in my own missions. I don't think I've had a mission yet where I haven't had to defend myself or fall back and then recommit on my mission target.

A couple of QOL improvements I'd recommend (if you don't already have them in the works).

1.) If possible could the carrier, AWACS, and tanker comms be pre-programmed into the mission aircraft?

2.) If possible a check on the wind direction in comparison to the carrier's BRC. I just flew a mission with a 113 degree crosswind compared to the carrier's BRC. My hornets flight path indicator was out of the constraints of the HUD.

Thanks for the great utility and keep up the great work!!! Liberation has returned my interest in DCS.

Hi Khopa!

I don't really post on the forums, more just read\lurk :)

But I felt compelled to post what amazing work you are doing with this dynamic campaign application, I want you to know it is really appreciated and adds so much to the DCS experience.

I hope you continue to feel motivated by this fantastic project, because it really does bring something "extra" to DCS World.

As much as I love playing through what the great content mission designers on here are creating (Looking forward to Baltic Dragon's F/A-18C campaign), this provides me with the "Never the same, but always engaging" experience I have been looking for since Falcon 4.0

Great job and keep up the awesome work! :pilotfly:

All the best,

Edited by Stalintc

JdYfaeO.jpg

I'd like to ask about some things that confuse me.

If i wanna fly F16 CAP and change F16 flight start time from 33 minutes to 0 minutes, will it screw up the order/flow of things for the rest of the flights?

If i finish my mission in 30 minutes and exit, will Liberation app still carry out CAS mission that is set to start in 80 minutes or that CAS (or any flight that start after i'm finished) will never happen?

Thanks. Cheers.

mission-preparation.jpg.5d9a574a34adfe265117281c5e00113c.jpg

• Thanks 1

If i wanna fly F16 CAP and change F16 flight start time from 33 minutes to 0 minutes, will it screw up the order/flow of things for the rest of the flights?

Depends on the circumstances. It is intended to have two hours of "action" in the mission, where hostile and friendly flights are in the air. I have made the experience that the most action is within the first 30 minutes of a mission. So within this time more CAP flights are needed. And there are plenty of hostiles in the air at the first few rounds of the campaign. It is not that there is something you can really screw up with replanning the start time of a single flight. You could reschedule the other blue flights then to get an equal spacing between takeoffs again.

In later rounds, after you gained air superiority and there are not many planes left at the enemies air bases it would not make a huge difference if a flight with start time after 30 minutes is rescheduled to the mission start time..

If i finish my mission in 30 minutes and exit, will Liberation app still carry out CAS mission that is set to start in 80 minutes or that CAS (or any flight that start after i'm finished) will never happen?

No. Liberation does only count events that happen when you play the mission. If you want to have the planned flights to carry out their missions you would have to wait until they have finished it in in the mission before you exit. Though in singleplayer you can use time compression. That also counts if you want to skip flying a mission but want to have the AI tasks evaluated. You would have to load the mission (with no client slots) in DCS and then keep running it until the AI flights finished their task.

You can combine the solution to both issues so that you replan all flights for a shorter mission play time. If you intend to exit the mission after 30 minutes, you can plan all flights to start in the first few minutes of the mission, so they get their job done in time.

• Thanks 1

Hello guys,

The new pre-release is finally available here :smilewink:

I have really been delaying it, cause play-testing takes so much time, and i always end up running into some issue that i want to fix before release. Once again, i have changed a lot of things in the campaign save structure, so this version is not compatible with the previous save files. (But you can still use the old version to finish your old campaigns.)

This has only been tested on my PC, but hopefully there should not be any environment issues.

Please report them if it happens so i can provide a hotfix.

But what to expect from this version you'd ask me ?

• Bug fixes
  • Configurable path for the Saved Games and DCS installation directory
  • Improved WW2 campaign, Channel map and P47 support.
  • Mission planner can auto-generate basic missions for you.
  • AI units will spawn uncontrolled on parking instead of appearing with late activation trigger (I'm not using as much late activation trigger as i did before, so it will reduce freeze). This mean you can bomb enemy aircraft on their airfield before they take off.
  • More performance oriented settings
  • A proper log file.

Here is the raw list of changes :

Features/Improvements :

• [units/Factions] Added P-47D-30 for factions allies_1944
  • [units/Factions] Added factions : Bluefor Coldwar, Germany 1944 Easy
  • [Campaign/Map] Added two campaigns in the Channel map
  • [Campaign/Map] Changed the Normandy campaign map
  • [Campaign/Map] Added new campaign Normandy Small
  • [Mission Generator] AI Flight generator has been reworked
  • [Mission Generator] Add PP points for JF-17 on STRIKE missions
  • [Mission Generator] Add ST point for F-14B on STRIKE missions
  • [Mission Generator] Flights with client slots will never be delayed
  • [Mission Generator] AI units can start from parking (With a new setting in Settings Window to disable it)
  • [Mission Generator] Tacan for carrier will only be in Mode X from now
  • [Mission Generator] RTB waypoints for autogenerated flights
  • [Flight Planner] Added CAS mission generator
  • [Flight Planner] Added CAP mission generator
  • [Flight Planner] Added SEAD mission generator
  • [Flight Planner] Added STRIKE mission generator
  • [Flight Planner] Added buttons to add autogenerated waypoints (ASCEND, DESCEND, RTB)
  • [Flight Planner] Improved waypoint list
  • [Flight Planner] WW2 factions uses different parameters for flight planning.
  • [settings] Added settings to disallow external views
  • [settings] Added settings to choose F10 Map mode (All, Allies only, Player only, Fog of War, Map Only)
  • [settings] Added settings to choose whether to auto-generate objective marks on the F10 map
  • [info Panel] Added information about destroyed buildings in info panel
  • [info Panel] Added information about destroyed units at SAM site in info panel
  • [Debriefing] Added information about units destroyed outside the frontline in the debriefing window
  • [Debriefing] Added destroyed buildings in the debriefing window
  • [Map] Tooltip now contains the list of building for Strike targets on the map
  • [Map] Added "Oil derrick" building
  • [Map] Added "ww2 bunker" building (WW2)
  • [Map] Added "ally camp" building (WW2)
  • [Map] Added "V1 Site" (WW2)
  • [Misc] Made it possible to setup DCS Saved Games directory and DCS installation directory manually at first start
  • [Misc] Added culling performance settings

Fixed issues :

• [units/Factions] Replaced S3-B Tanker by KC130 for most factions (More fuel)
  • [units/Factions] WW2 factions will not have offshore oil station and other modern buildings generated. No more third-reich operated offshore stations will spawn on normandy's coast.
  • [units/Factions] Aircraft carrier will try to move in the wind direction
  • [units/Factions] Missing icons added for some aircraft
  • [Mission Generator] When playing as RED the activation trigger would not be properly generated
  • [Mission Generator] FW-190A8 is now properly considered as a flyable aircraft
  • [Mission Generator] Changed "strike" payload for Su-24M that was ineffective
  • [Mission Generator] Changed "strike" payload for JF-17 to use LS-6 bombs instead of GBU
  • [Mission Generator] Change power station template. (Buildings could end up superposed).
  • [Maps/Campaign] Now using Vasiani airbase instead of Soganlung airport in Caucasus campaigns (more parking slot)
  • [info Panel] Message displayed on base capture event stated that the enemy captured an airbase, while it was the player who captured it.
  • [Map View] Graphical glitch on map when one building of an objective was destroyed, but not the others

Known issues

• AI units will have trouble taking off from the dunkirk airfield on Channel map as the runway is very short.
  • If you want to recruit B17 bombers on Channel maps, please recruit them at Manston airbase, which is one of the only base they seems to be able to operate properly from.
  • I have disabled AI units being spawned uncontrolled on carrier as i have experienced some issues with that, so AI units on carrier will still spawn in the air through late activation trigger for now to avoid taxi issues on carrier occuring when there are too many planes.
  • The new "culling" performance setting is really dumb for now, if you put a low value you might end up with a strike mission on an objective that did not spawn. I recommend checking the mission in the editor if you use this setting.
  • If you want to attack an enemy airbase and destroy planes on the ground, for your targets to be registered as destroyed by DCS liberation you need to destroy them for good in DCS. Just strafing them with guns is not enough, the plane will only be seen as damaged by DCS, which is not enough to get it registered as a kill by DCS Liberation. In fact, it usually require a direct hit with a bomb to get them being destroyed.. for now.
  • There is still no real way to capture an enemy airbase located away from the frontline. For instance if you choose the battle of Britain campaign, there is no possibility to properly capture the enemy airbases in France. Same for the full Persian Gulf map with the islands and the part of the map located in Iran)
  • I haven't had the time to properly play-test MP with this new version.
  • There is still no way to run the mission on dedicated servers and extract the "results".

Hello Khopa,

DCS liberation seems to be great and i started to test it.

My first question is :

How to create/modify Factions or to create it's own faction ?

Thx

It is not possible yet from the release version.

I started a new campaign with RC7, USA Vs RUS in Caucasus, and my airfield has some RUS units (SU-27, SU-25T, Ka-50, at least). Is that intended?

Also what do each of the "frontline operations" settings do? I don't see them in your documentation.

edit: my bad, yeah, I see those planes in the list.

Edited by drhay53

If anyone else has trouble with the new version not starting up even when run as administrator, try deleting your old save game in the DCS Saved Games folder. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out :)

Thanks for the new release Khopa. Will run a few missions and see what's new.

I do know of one bug that was in the old version and is still there: when I zoom in on the campaign map, I can't zoom all the way back out. If I repeat this I have to restart Liberation to be able to see the map.

Edited by Minuit

AJS-37 / F-5E / F-14B / F-86F / FC3 / Ka-50 / M-2000C / UH-1H

Specs: GTX 1080Ti / R5 3600 / 32GB DDR4 / Samsung Odyssey+

Thanks Khopa, This Campaign is simply incredible and improving each version. I will let you know if any issues comes up. Congrats!!!

Edited:

Not sure if this is an issue, still under construction or I don't know how to do it, but no mission is showing Gen.CAS nor Gen.SEAD/DEAD under Flight Planer - dropbox with waypoints.

Running BLUEFOR, Allied 1944 vs Axis 1944 Channel Map

Thx

Edit 2:

While I was trying to start campaign it returns an error informing that the mission is trying to use radio 251 Mhz on P47 for example (it's range does not go until 251, its much shorter)

I can investigate the ranges if you need.

Edited by diogofalcao

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

Not sure if this is an issue, still under construction or I don't know how to do it, but no mission is showing Gen.CAS nor Gen.SEAD/DEAD under Flight Planer - dropbox with waypoints.

If you chose battle of Britain on the Channel map with WW2 factions, then it's normal.

You won't have any valid SEAD target, since there are no units group with radars. And even though technically attacking the german flak sites could be considered a DEAD mission, you have to use the STRIKE mission generator instead. It can be a bit confusing.

And on this map (Battle of Britain on The Channel map), there is no frontline with ground units, hence why the CAS mission generator list is empty as well.

While I was trying to start campaign it returns an error informing that the mission is trying to use radio 251 Mhz on P47 for example (it's range does not go until 251, its much shorter)

I can investigate the ranges if you need.

My bad, i don't have the P-47 so i couldn't launch the generated mission to test, and you're right the frequency is wrong and it appears red in the editor as it is not a valid frequency for WW2 aircraft. I fixed it in RC8.

========================================================

I do know of one bug that was in the old version and is still there: when I zoom in on the campaign map, I can't zoom all the way back out. If I repeat this I have to restart Liberation to be able to see the map.

I finally figured it out, fixed in RC8.

I started a new campaign with RC7, USA Vs RUS in Caucasus, and my airfield has some RUS units (SU-27, SU-25T, Ka-50, at least). Is that intended?

If you are using faction "BLUEFOR modern", then it is normal since I included most popular modules in this one (even non bluefor ones). Just don't recruit them if you don't want them :)

Also what do each of the "frontline operations" settings do? I don't see them in your documentation.

The wiki is still incomplete and will need updates with the new version.

Basically :

• Defensive: Units will wait in line for the enemy units
  • Ambush: Same as defensive but with generally smaller units groups
  • Aggresive: Each player ground units group will attack the nearest enemy groups
  • Elimination: Each player ground units group will try to attack up to 3 enemy groups
  • Breakthrough: Each player ground units group will try to move forward fast ignoring the enemy group position. (If succesful, you will gain quite a lot of ground)
  • Retreat: Your units will move back, but you will lose terrain

Generally, tanks and IFV will be on the front, and less armored units will be in second line. Some units, such as artilery units will never move toward the enemy.

You will gain ground, if you have selected an offensive strategy and if the kill ratio on the frontline is in your favor.

And version RC8 (bugfixes) is available here : https://github.com/Khopa/dcs_liberation/releases/tag/2.0RC8

Save game from RC7 should be compatible.

Fixes:

• [Mission Generator] Frequency for P-47D-30 changed to 124Mhz (Generated mission with 251Mhz would not work)
  • [Mission Generator] Reduced the maximum number of uboat per generated group
  • [Mission Generator] Fixed an issue with the WW2 LST groups (superposed units).
  • [uI] Fixed issue with the zoom

I'm playing 1.5.2.3 version. Congrats, It's a very fun to play add-on.

I think there is a bug in the F-18 CAS loadout. The plane spaws with the AGM-65D version, and this missile it's not recognized by the plane. The missile should be the AGM-65E or AGM-65F versions.

Thank you for this great add-on.

EDIT: Just tried the RC8 version. What a great improvement, thank you for yor work.

Edited by JuanAJ

Another question, I was having bad issues with performance so I turned on the unit culling. Are those flights simulated in the background or is it as if they never existed? Also, what is the distance calculated from?

I don't want to end up in a situation where I significantly hinder one side because of the culling range. First flight with it turned on was totally smooth in FPS, so I want to leave it on, but I want to make sure I know how it works.

edit: and a third question. How many of the flight tasks actually work? I.e. if I set a flight to "intercept", the details aren't really filled in on the waypoints section. What will that flight do? There a few other tasks that I don't know if I should use them or not because nothing is filled in.

Random note. My last flight I noticed a CAP flight went 70 nm off course in order to attack some planes that were on the ground at an airport. of course, both F18's in the wing were shot down by SAMs.

Edited by drhay53

Hello everyone.

This dynamic campaign is really fun and creates a very immersive environment. Congratulations for your work!

I was running the RC8 version and today when flying the first mission, I realized that the waypoints are not located in the correct region of the front. I opened the editor and saw that it seems that the problem is that the bullseye is no longer on the front, but a little to the east, as you can see on the printscreen. Both CAP and CAS are like that. I haven't tested other missions like SEAD and Strike.

Thank you

Salute

973176619_DigitalCombatSimulator23_06_202016_38_01.thumb.png.009c6ff439f502a83a07bd8361160198.png