Target Of Opportunity mode (TOO) behavior incorrect

BritTorrent

Hi guys,

The behavior for the TOO push button is incorrect. As per section 2.4.6.2 of the NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I manual.

The pilot presses the TOO pushbutton on the UFC shown in Figure 2-48 to designate the point directly below the aircraft as the target

However in DCS, when you press the TOO button it creates a target point at your exact position in space. So if you press it at 10,000ft then the target point will be at 10,000ft instead of on the ground.

I've attached a track showing the behavior. I press the TOO button and when I turn around to engage the target, it's floating in the sky.

Bug-Report.trk

Edited by BritTorrent

Hi guys,

The behavior for the TOO push button is incorrect. As per section 2.4.6.2 of the NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I manual.

However in DCS, when you press the TOO button it creates a target point at your exact position in space. So if you press it at 10,000ft then the target point will be at 10,000ft instead of on the ground.

I've attached a track showing the behavior. I press the TOO button and when I turn around to engage the target, it's floating in the sky.

:megalol: Sorry! I will fix it ASAP.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 10 months later...

I think i reported this back in February.

Track file if you need one.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=231683

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

TOO is a, low level, designation method.

The radar altimeter tells the diamond where the ground is and should be turned on automatically when the TOO is pressed, but it doesn't.

If radar alt is previously manually turned on, it should still work, but it doesn't.

Therefore it's unresolved.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's still a thing. A mid air floater.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that this discussion is in a thread entitled "Resolved Bugs" is a bit of a problem, because it probably means that they are unlikely to look at it - why would they? After all it is not a bug any more, so no need to look.

For what it's worth, I did post this again in the bugs section but nobody from RAZBAM has acknowledged it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

That's because it's in the resolved section.

For what it's worth, I did post this again in the bugs section but nobody from RAZBAM has acknowledged it.

Then you've done the right thing.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241468

Make sure to include a link to this (older) thread and include a short track to make it easy to test/replicate.

As SGT Coyle says, focus your attention on your repost in the bug section, as mistakes happen and stuff gets missed.

Perhaps give the new thread a bump (as a reminder) in ~6 months if nothings been said but don't spam the forum for an immediate fix, as the devs will have their own priorities and road map.

A good report with a track file is the best we can do as consumers.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...

I tried it yesterday and it works properly: if I press the button in the air, i get a target point on the ground.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I tried it yesterday and it works properly: if I press the button in the air, i get a target point on the ground.

TOO now puts the diamond on the ground, but it doesn't turn on the radar alt automatically, as it should.

Radar alt is also working correctly, in that it turns to Baro at 45 degs bank.

Edit: Radar alt is a momentary thing, therefore we can assume it's doing the job, of placing the diamond, correctly.

Great improvements. :thumbup:

Edited by Holbeach

Nice! Love the constant progress. The Harrier is getting better every month. :thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 month later...
TOO now puts the diamond on the ground, but it doesn't turn on the radar alt automatically, as it should.

Edit: Radar alt is a momentary thing, therefore we can assume it's doing the job, of placing the diamond, correctly.

TOO is incorrect at the moment, below 5,000 ft AGL it uses the Radar Altimeter to calculate the target point T0 elevation.

Above 5,000 ft, it likely should use the selected waypoint elevation like CCIP does.

In Open Beta 2.5.5.34644, using TOO at 35,000 ft places T0 precisely at ground level.

Bug Report

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4014435#post4014435

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

TOO, is a Low Level, heads up, marker for unplanned targets. It is designated by the Radar altimeter, nothing else. Therefore it doesn't work above 5000' AGL, (RL). In the game I believe it works at all altitudes and therefore this part is incorrect, but at least the diamond is in the correct place and usable.

Above 5000' AGL, you can use a mark to do the job, by placing a waypoint directly underneath.