How voice caht may kill the game

ridbobkan

Hello all,

Just my thoughts; I was wondering why servers are sometimes showing less players than before. Maybe the problem comes from the fact some servers do need to be on DISCORD to play. There is a huge diffrence between tha capability of writing English and the capability of have voice chat in English, for those who are not that good speeking English.

Playing a game with people having conversations you Don't understand is not funny. So you just Don't connect.

Maybe servers shoud keep in mind some of us are not good enough to be "voice connected".

have a nice week end.

I do have a bit of mixed feelings about that sort of thing myself, even though I generally think the language isn't troubling me too much.

It's true that you can always fall back to typing messages in chat yourself, but one of the major points of trying to enforce a rule like that is that everyone is supposed to be listening. Sure, it makes some things smoother as talking is so much quicker than typing (especially if you can't spare a hand).

I personally don't frequent those servers either. In part because sometimes I really don't feel like talking and in part because there are three major voice systems going around (TS3, Discord and SRS) and quite frankly I don't like Discord as a program enough to have three separate solutions at the ready.

So in conclusion, I don't think the concept is in danger of killing the game at all, but it might be worth a reminder that if you run a server that declares certain things mandatory, this will keep a few people away.

The only server enforcing discord i know of is drexx's and imho thats one of the best things about the server.

if you dont want to listen or speak for whatever reason thats fine.

but dont expect each and every admin to cater to your specific needs.

if you dont like it, dont go there. if you dont find anything for you, create your own server. thats at least my best practice.

Correlation does not imply causation.

If you can figure out how to switch to the open beta of DCS, then you can click a link to join a discord channel then mute yourself and everyone else. Requiring discord is not affecting multiplayer numbers.

That aside, there are plenty of people joining the DDCS discord that do not speak english. They can either mute themselves, or join a room speaking mainly their language. This happens frequently. I've joined rooms and they're all speaking russian or french... which i think is super cool. Hell, there's no better way to learn a language than to immerse yourself in it.

Edited by Banzaiib

I enjoy the challenge of fighting other humans, but I usually don't want to hear or engage in voice chats. I play computer games to have some time to myself. The trend to require discord or srs is unfortunate.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

i don't believe the requirements for voice chats is a problem.

in my view voice add much to the immersion of the flights in MP, especially srs

unfortunately many servers offer "discord + srs + teamspeak - join our voice"

... yeah - like what now? discord or srs or teamspeak? or all of it at the same time?

that is a problem ... if server hosters could stick to one solution i'd be happy (especially with srs)

nobody is forced to talk, but listening helps very much - especially if someone is doing the gci role!

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

• 5 months later...
  • ED Team

It's quite the opposite, I wish this game had an integrated voice client like BMS and that servers enforced its usage more harshly. People who do not cooperate with the team and essentially use fellow players as smarter bots is what makes me steer clear from most public servers. If you don't want to deal with other players you can always play offline, instead of bringing anti-social attitude to the multiplayer environment.

That being said, I wish SRS allowed for more than just in-cockpit comms, e.g. a mess hall/briefing channel for people in the lobby, since I agree that Discord is insecure, bloated, and generally unsuitable for serious voice communication.

Regarding speaking other languages in public voice chat - if it's allowed on the server, change server, if it isn't, report it. It is a rude behaviour and I agree that it may put people off - well, it puts me off, as it generally goes in conjunction with people ignoring the radio altogether and messing up whatever you're doing due to lack of coordination. All things considered though - this is a very detailed sim and lack of cooperation online removes a lot from the experience

Edited by m4ti140

• 4 months later...

If you look at it another way, how do you think it'd go over if you jumped into a soccer game but refused to even try to talk to anyone?

Want to play with other folks, you need to communicate, even if the language isn't your primary.

I've gotta agree with @SacredRaziel: don't like the rules on the field, go find another game.

I've never seen an inappropriate demand for voice comms on the server list. What you find is that certain TEAM oriented servers want to exclude people who don't want to fly as a team because the objectives are requiring team play.

It's perfectly fine not to want to play in a team, I think even the most avid of players wants quiet time. What's not OK, is to expect that everyone is in the same mood for the same game style all the time and that mood magically coincides with your own mindset. So the simple choice is, fly where you are wanted, not where you want other people to be like you. Please, please please don't join team games as the silent unresponding chap that doesn't want to talk and people are screaming a world away buddy spike, or whatever they are communicating. There are plenty of non team related servers out there, but this is clearly an example of wanting to have your cake and eat it and both sets of views here are mutually exclusive.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Brixmis, care to elaborate ?

Discord isn't itself insecure, it's the ways in which users can use it. Examples such as a well known bot was gathering user data for one particular game.

Most of this is entirely user discretion related and in part to the admins of Discord. Information stealing/gathering/storing is a large business today. Facebook is a far worse platform as long as you don't join 50 million Discord channels run by folk you don't know. As for where your stuff goes... well it's no worse than the major security leaks by any other company holding your private data. I recently had an email address expose due to a breach on Mariott hotels. Doesn't mean I think staying in a hotel is unsafe, this is the world we live in.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

When a server uses SRS I join it for the common ATC stuff etc.

My skill level isn't high enough to participate on any tactical warfare frequency but I do enjoy listening to it. There are a lot of people with such a high skill level and tactical insights that you can learn a lot from it, and it adds realism to the sim.

What I do not like it that there are a lot of servers that uses SRS and TS3 for example. It splits up the comms. I understand that squadrons use TS3 to chat to each other (like a local flight comm) but besides that they should use the common radio's to communicate. I prefer SRS for this.

If you do not like/wish to talk, just join and mute yourself. If the comms distract you just dial the volume down a notch. Your problem is your english you said. Just listening to comms will help you with that.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

When a server uses SRS I join it for the common ATC stuff etc.

My skill level isn't high enough to participate on any tactical warfare frequency but I do enjoy listening to it. There are a lot of people with such a high skill level and tactical insights that you can learn a lot from it, and it adds realism to the sim.

What I do not like it that there are a lot of servers that uses SRS and TS3 for example. It splits up the comms. I understand that squadrons use TS3 to chat to each other (like a local flight comm) but besides that they should use the common radio's to communicate. I prefer SRS for this.

If you do not like/wish to talk, just join and mute yourself. If the comms distract you just dial the volume down a notch. Your problem is your english you said. Just listening to comms will help you with that.

I think most servers will be just fine with however you want to give information as long as it isn't clogging up the radio. Over time most people will learn and start to use the terminology.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I hate to throw Dynamic DCS under the bus here because otherwise it's a fun server to fly on, but I think it's a pretty good example of why requiring users to connect to discord voice chat is not a great idea overall.

The bot that manages it just seems to work maybe 50% of the time at best. Several times I've been trying to get a group flight up and running with people I bring in and we'll be attempting to do everything by the rulebook - DCS and discord display names set to be identical, connected to a voice channel in DynDCS discord, everyone set to appear online - and yet we have people getting kicked after the timer run-down despite the fact they've done everything required to play on the server.

Likewise, the glaring issues of even functional discord voice comms become apparent when you join the DynDCS discord voice channels and are greeted with 20 people all talking over each other. Need a BRA call from GCI? Looking for vector to home plate? Want a sitrep as to what's happening with the ground war? Good luck, you'll have a hell of a time getting a word in edgewise over that many people, and without fail there'll be a pair of people sitting on the ramp without knowing how to start their planes up just cluttering comms as they try to work things out.

At this point SRS should really just be the standard with the advances made on that end of things in the last year or so, and servers should forego Discord voice comm requirements entirely.

SRS! It works with the planes radios. If you have a team then you can go to another channel. But have a standard freq for A2A traffic, another for A2G, another for ATC, another for each airport/carrier operations, etc.

Diving into setting up kneeboards with the use for each freq (what uses what) has helped tremendously with my comms game.

The immersion factor is great in VR. It is not so easy to alt-tab out of dcs into discord to change a channel (same with TS). So doing it in the radios is awesome!

Was inbound to Sochi last night. They had live atc. I ran out of fuel and had to point it to the water and bail out. I called out the issue, bra and that I was punching out. ATC replied back that they copied and had SAR on alert and enroute to fish us out.

I got a good chuckle out of it!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes