F/A-18C Lot 20 Template Questions / Help

SkateZilla

how do you split the document into 11? The file I copied from another skin maker was 2048 pixels tall. Divided by 11 = 186.18 which cannot be snapped to or made into a box to lay on the document as guides to then place the text on. Can I change the document size to a multiple of 11 or does it have to be 2048? When you see the guide boxes i did, they are 187px tall and thus the bottom digit is off by a bit.

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, Megalax said:

No no it has to be the same size as what you started with.

I'd go with boxes of 186 px and start from there. Adjust the numbers that aren't quite lined up. Use a panel finder as a guide.

Ok. Thank you for the help. That got me on the right path. The new problem I discovered is that the numbers apparently have a width limit as well, which I discovered after skewing my numbers at the angle to match the real airplane's side numbers. You can see from the following reference picture that the numbers are leaning quite a bit (I reckon about 24 degrees):

image.png

So in photoshop, I was able to get all the heights to match and fit 11 times. 186px was the better number and I ended up having 2px short which I placed in the blank spot. Here's a sample:

image.png

Because of the skewing, I end up with numbers which get cropped because of the aforementioned width limit. I see now why other designers just end up making a bunch of individual airplanes with side numbers painted on and their description file containing a bunch of "empties"....

image.png

***Also, dont try to dirty up the numbers. I didn't think it thru that it would be repeated with common numbers and that it might not match the planes dirt layer.***

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 6:34 AM, Bones1775 said:

Help with cockpit texture

Help with cockpit texture. i have edited the BuNo previously on other hornet liveries with no issues but with a new install of PS and the latest DDS plugin from NVidia i get this when the instrument lights are on. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen_200913_051600.thumb.png.91dcbd67877883d42f83d9d8ac46849a.png

I am having the same problem. The background is completely transparent so I don't know how to fix this. I've tried looking at the channels and there is no information anywhere outside of the white paint. Is there some setting for export to DDS (using the Nvidia plugin) that I should know about?

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, RaTzo said:

I am having the same problem. The background is completely transparent so I don't know how to fix this. I've tried looking at the channels and there is no information anywhere outside of the white paint. Is there some setting for export to DDS (using the Nvidia plugin) that I should know about?

Its the alpha channel. It has to be completely black with only the text you want showing. Thats how they get the backlighting to work.

• Like 1

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

15 hours ago, Megalax said:

Its the alpha channel. It has to be completely black with only the text you want showing. Thats how they get the backlighting to work.

Thanks!

• Like 1

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, Megalax said:

OK I'm not able to fix this for some reason. I'm a photographer and skilled in photoshop and I've skinned just about every aircraft in the game but I cannot get the Alpha channel correct. Can you tell me how to do this like I'm stupid (because apparently I am! lol)? 

I've tried using a layer mask on the mip0 layer and then adding my art in that location, I've tried creating a whole new Alpha channel, I've tried using a tga instead... always various things are wrong. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, Megalax said:

OK so here is the problem I'm having. Previously I was able to get a graphic to show but when I turned the lights up all the panels glowed like the person showed above. 

Now every time I save a the tex01 file and use it in game it looks like this. 

Here is your file from your 401 SQN livery unaltered but exported from photoshop and then used in DCS. Also what happens when I use the ED file from the F18 cockpit textures and cut out the BUNO section without generating a new alpha channel. Then what happens when I cut out the section, add new text and graphics and a new alpha channel. 

Able to tell what is going wrong?

alphabug.png

alphabugcutout.png

alphabugmergedgroup.png

alphabugnewalpha.png

Edited by RaTzo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 11:20 AM, RaTzo said:

OK so here is the problem I'm having. Previously I was able to get a graphic to show but when I turned the lights up all the panels glowed like the person showed above. 

Now every time I save a the tex01 file and use it in game it looks like this. 

Here is your file from your 401 SQN livery unaltered but exported from photoshop and then used in DCS. Also what happens when I use the ED file from the F18 cockpit textures and cut out the BUNO section without generating a new alpha channel. Then what happens when I cut out the section, add new text and graphics and a new alpha channel. 

Able to tell what is going wrong?

alphabug.png

alphabugcutout.png

alphabugmergedgroup.png

alphabugnewalpha.png

what plug in do you use, NVIDIA or Intell

On 4/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Bones1775 said:

what plug in do you use, NVIDIA or Intell

nvidia

Is there a setting I should know about?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Bones1775 said:

i switched to intel for this reason. couldn't figure out the settings

So are you saying if I use the Intel plugin that the problem will just go away?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Text elements:

Hi all!

Does anyone know, if it is possible, to ie. have a pilot name in a .dds file, and use only that on an existing skin?

Like an overlay, so you would only have to change the 'pilotname.dds' to customize a generic skin, used by a whole squadron.

Edited by Tubesnake

5 hours ago, Tubesnake said:

Text elements:

Hi all!

Does anyone know, if it is possible, to ie. have a pilot name in a .dds file, and use only that on an existing skin?

Like an overlay, so you would only have to change the 'pilotname.dds' to customize a generic skin, used by a whole squadron.

Unfortunately no. The only way to do that is to edit the skin directly.

Megalax's Livery Studio

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's because you aren't editing the texture file, you are editing the Roughmet, which determines what physical texture for the file to represent, i.e. glossiness, roughness/smoothness, or metallic sheen.

The file(s) you'll want to play around with are "f18c_cpt-texXX" (XX being the associated numeric identifier).

10小时前,AngryEchoSix说:

That's because you aren't editing the texture file, you are editing the Roughmet, which determines what physical texture for the file to represent, i.e. glossiness, roughness/smoothness, or metallic sheen.

The file(s) you'll want to play around with are "f18c_cpt-texXX" (XX being the associated numeric identifier).

This problem has been solved by myself before your reply.Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I really hope the texture files get updated so they are a bit more realistic. this way the official ones can be downloaded and not require folks to do it for the community. the 2018 download is ok just the tails has more detail than the rest of the bird.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello fellow aviators, 

I'm trying to get back into skinning and noticed a huge change. Way back in the hood days the textures were labeled 1_DIF, but when I download the templates via ED they are only Texture1/2/3 ect... I use GIMP to skin my airframes and I cannot figure out which texture goes where.

As you can see below, all the textures are in the incorrect locations.

Is this a description.lua change, if so could I get some help please

image.png

Thanks for the assist!

14 hours ago, Crater_1 said:

Hello fellow aviators, 

I'm trying to get back into skinning and noticed a huge change. Way back in the hood days the textures were labeled 1_DIF, but when I download the templates via ED they are only Texture1/2/3 ect... I use GIMP to skin my airframes and I cannot figure out which texture goes where.

As you can see below, all the textures are in the incorrect locations.

Is this a description.lua change, if so could I get some help please

image.png

Thanks for the assist!

I'm going to assume you're using the old C model template set that has 6 files. You have to use the Lot 20 template that only has 2 files.

Megalax's Livery Studio