Base / final carrier turn at 30deg too wide.

coolts

Just for clarity, pulling G that's 1% of my current airspeed while relaxing G to keep up with the changes in airspeed still puts me at 0.8-0.9nm abeam. Example throughout the break turn:

350kts - 3.5G

330kts - 3.3G

300kts - 3.0G

270kts - 2.7G

250kts - 2.5G

Gear down Flaps down

Downwind 0.8-0.9nm abeam

For whatever reason, it doesn't yield the 1.2-1.3nm abeam that it should.

If I fly the above I only get through about 120 degrees of the turn before reaching 250kts. After gear and flaps down I relax the roll to increase the radius of the turn and enter downwind with the correct separation.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

This is a good point that hasn’t been mentioned as far as I remember in this post.

Watch this guy doing his carrier qualifications and on one pass he extends to over 4Nm and has plenty of time to get onspeed at 600 ft.

Very interesting video: thanks for sharing it!

Just a couple of noobish questions:

- what's that "W" mark flashing in the HUD during the final turn?

- How can you put the TCN distance on the HUD? Even if I correctly set the Tacan, it never appears on my HUD.

Thanks

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

Very interesting video: thanks for sharing it!

- How can you put the TCN distance on the HUD? Even if I correctly set the Tacan, it never appears on my HUD.

Thanks

For the tacan distance to appear in the Hud, you have to select TCN on the HSI page, it's located on the upper left corner of the screen

What time does this 'w' appear? I had a quick look but can't see it.

Pressing the TCN button on the HSI DDI page should do it. Top button on the left hand side.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

What time does this 'w' appear? I had a quick look but can't see it.

For example at min 1:02 and 4:48 of the video. A big "W" flashing in the middle of the HUD

Pressing the TCN button on the HSI DDI page should do it. Top button on the left hand side.

Strange... I'm sure I pressed it (it was boxed) but it didn't appear on the HUD. I'll try again this evening, thanks.

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

I relax my turn a bit when approaching the downwind so as to hit 1.2 when abeam. That's not my problem. I did some analysis last night and my biggest issue is that by the time I've stabilised at 600ft, 140-ish kts and on speed AOA, I'm way past the boat, or i turn at the round-down, before i'm stable and end up in a climb going too fast and overshoot.

I'm going to give myself another 2 miles on the downwind to get prepped for the base turn. I need to find a good throttle/engine RPM ballpark for 130kts-140kts wheels&flaps down.

I had that same problem. I decided to do some straight line flying while in landing configuration ( full flaps, gear down, hook down) and see what it too took to get trimmed out properly. After many tests I found that holding my trim hat up and counting to 25 fairly quickly, which takes approximately 12 seconds, trims me pretty close to where I need to be. So I do this as soon as I begin my break and by the time I get into the downwind all I need to do is bump the trim up or down a time or two to fine tune it. That gives me time to make sure my altitude and carrier distance is correct before I'm in position to start the 180. Doing this has me pretty well trimmed out before I level out into the downwind and makes the rest of the pattern process a lot easier to manage.

With full flaps and gear down it should only take 2-3 seconds of holding the trim hat to reach proper on speed aoa trim. Trim responds differently depending on configuration. With flaps and gear down 12 seconds would be more than enough time to completely max out trim.

Just for clarity, pulling G that's 1% of my current airspeed while relaxing G to keep up with the changes in airspeed still puts me at 0.8-0.9nm abeam. Example throughout the break turn:

350kts - 3.5G

330kts - 3.3G

300kts - 3.0G

270kts - 2.7G

250kts - 2.5G

Gear down Flaps down

Downwind 0.8-0.9nm abeam

For whatever reason, it doesn't yield the 1.2-1.3nm abeam that it should.

When I pass the boat at 350 kts and 800 ft I extend out to 1-1.5 nm. I then cut throttle to idle, deploy speed brake and gently roll into a 2 g turn. I keep the brake out till 300 kts then pull it in and wait for 250kts to deploy full flaps and gear. Once gear and flaps are down it takes 2-3 seconds of pitch trim (while still in the turn) and I end up wings level around @ 150-160 knots, 1.1-1.3 nm from boat on the beam and roughly trimmed up for on speed aoa. Then its just a matter of making minor trim adjustments and flying thrust for altitude till the final turn. Once trimmed for on speed aoa you really shouldnt be using stick for pitch at all. It will massively exaggerate effects on your aoa.

Highly recommend turning on the control input display so you can see your trim adjustments, how fast its adjusting and roughly where it needs to be for on speed aoa flight. You can also throw your fcs display up on a ddi and watch your stab trim numbers if you want more realism.

Edited by Talonx1

I don't doubt anything you are saying but all I can say is that it works almost perfectly for me.

Holding trim hat for 12 seconds just makes no sense if flaps are at full and gear is down. If it takes that long something is wrong. Most likely flaps arent set to full.

Holding trim hat for 12 seconds just makes no sense if flaps are at full and gear is down. If it takes that long something is wrong. Most likely flaps arent set to full.

Flaps are full and gear is down. You can tell me how wrong I am all you want but when you’re done talking it still works for me.

Flaps are full and gear is down. You can tell me how wrong I am all you want but when you’re done talking it still works for me.

Above you say that you are starting to hold trim as soon as you start your break. Is that correct? If so what speed are you starting your break? If youre at 350kts as typically prescribed then you cant possible be gear down and full flaps when you start applying trim as the gear and flaps wont drop till 250. No need to get defensive either. Just trying to help.

Above you say that you are starting to hold trim as soon as you start your break. Is that correct? If so what speed are you starting your break? If youre at 350kts as typically prescribed then you cant possible be gear down and full flaps when you start applying trim as the gear and flaps wont drop till 250. No need to get defensive either. Just trying to help.

Thanks, but if you reread my posts you will see that I wasn’t asking for help.

Highly recommend turning on the control input display so you can see your trim adjustments, how fast its adjusting and roughly where it needs to be for on speed aoa flight. You can also throw your fcs display up on a ddi and watch your stab trim numbers if you want more realism.

That's a great idea. I didn't know trim was shown on the controls indicator OR the FCS page, (doh, takeoff trim is!). Turns out I've been trimming wrong, hitting up-up-up-up-up-up rather than just holding it up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

That's a great idea. I didn't know trim was shown on the controls indicator OR the FCS page, (doh, takeoff trim is!). Turns out I've been trimming wrong, hitting up-up-up-up-up-up rather than just holding it up.

Well that’s what I do, about 10-12 clicks up as I’m approaching down wind to get a reasonable aoa (still a little fast) then nudge it into the bracket after that.

I haven’t actually tried holding the trim down. I’ll try that tonight cheers

Aye, some switches are meant to be held down and some you can hold down all day and they only produce one virtual key-press

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

I had that same problem. I decided to do some straight line flying while in landing configuration ( full flaps, gear down, hook down) and see what it too took to get trimmed out properly. After many tests I found that holding my trim hat up and counting to 25 fairly quickly, which takes approximately 12 seconds, trims me pretty close to where I need to be. So I do this as soon as I begin my break and by the time I get into the downwind all I need to do is bump the trim up or down a time or two to fine tune it. That gives me time to make sure my altitude and carrier distance is correct before I'm in position to start the 180. Doing this has me pretty well trimmed out before I level out into the downwind and makes the rest of the pattern process a lot easier to manage.

Have you used the control input display to actually see the trim position after holding for 25 seconds with full flaps and gear?