F-18 ram air scoop

Hippo

The checklist item in the NATOPS

16. Air scoop - CHECK

a. AV COOL or FCS COOL switch - EMERG

FCS ram air scoop deploys (thumbs up from plane captain).

b. Plane captain manually restows scoop

If I understand correctly, once opened it can't be closed again from the cockpit.

My questions:

Where is it on the aircraft?

Can it be seen opening in the external model of our F-18?

In one of "Tricker's" brilliant start-up youtube videos he states that the switch is spring loaded and should return to NORM, which makes sense (so change required from ED?). So, if it is modelled in-game is there a way to close it, so that the checklist item can be completed correctly?

I know that there are ground crew that very kindly answer questions on here, it would be particularly interesting to hear from you on this. Don't feel that you have to hold back on any trivia, amusing anecdotes, etc.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

A lot of jets have RAM turbines. If all else fails, at least you have some hydraulic an power to actually fly the plane.

It's fail-safe drop down, so once deployed it's there until the end, which, in most cases, will be at the end of a runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

A lot of jets have RAM turbines. If all else fails, at least you have some hydraulic an power to actually fly the plane.

It's fail-safe drop down, so once deployed it's there until the end, which, in most cases, will be at the end of a runway.

The Ram-Air inlet is not a auxiliary turbine inlet for providing emergency power. It is an auxiliary/emergency air source for the Environmental Control System (ECS), providing back-up cooling air for the avionics system and the cockpit.

DCS Open Beta, I9-10900K(5.1 OC), Asus Z490 Maximus Hero XII, EVGA FTW3 2080TI, 32 GB, TM Wathog Throttle and Stick (Virpil base), Valve Index VR

The Ram-Air inlet is not a auxiliary turbine inlet for providing emergency power. It is an auxiliary/emergency air source for the Environmental Control System (ECS), providing back-up cooling air for the avionics system and the cockpit.

What a letdown...:)

It is on the right side, just in front on the Avionic bay door. It's about 2 inchs big.
Actually it's on the left hand side and I believe it hasn't been modeled in yet. Before start-up the scoop is out and after the bleed air is cycled and ecs kicks in, the scoop goes in.

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A6003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Actually it's on the left hand side and I believe it hasn't been modeled in yet. Before start-up the scoop is out and after the bleed air is cycled and ecs kicks in, the scoop goes in.

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A6003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Right is according to the pilot, not looking at the A/C.

It is for the FCC emergency cooling.

RAM air scoop in front of door 14R to be precise.

• 2 years later...

Yup, it works. You can see it deploy on the right side of the fuselage.

In DCS once it's out there's no way to stow it again short of getting a new plane, so if you don't want it sticking out for the whole mission it's best to just skip that test.

Screen_200821_010831.thumb.png.0cc230159a645752ad14fc842d2b5d0f.png