[ALREADY REPORTED] How do I use true and magnetic north settings

Hello, I found the following:

when Command Heading Marker points left of the north (for example just 357°) and I'm flying right of the north (for example 003°), the Command Heading Marker goes to end of the scale. Same when Command Heading Marker points right of the north and I'm flying left of the north. Both if I select WYPT and TCN.

Edited by AMVI_Grape

I don't understand why I posted this message on the bug section and with a different title and now I found it on the general section.

The Command Heading Marker that goes to the end of the scale, is it normal?

I don't find anything on the original manual.

Please explain.

"a different title"

yes, very puzzling. looks like a bug to me. maybe the mod is trying to suggest that it's something to do with a magnetic variation quirk? maybe he's being far too clever for his own good?

i haven't tested myself, but does it also happen if you follow a heading which is not north?

System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5x Blower (1480 / 1582 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift S, Saitek X52 Pro

i haven't tested myself, but does it also happen if you follow a heading which is not north?

Yes, I tested also with different heading, but no, it happens only when flying across 000°.

I think that it is a wrong way to calculate the deviation difference just when flying the other side of the 000° border.

Just tested in both magnetic North and true North and get the same results you got in both. Wish I knew more about whats going on, but I can confirm what your seeing, and not entirely sure what it has to do with Mag/True heading.

Nothing changes on the HSI as you pass 000, it just seems to be an error with the carret on the heading tape

Edited by Mad_Max2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey :-)

I'd also be very interested to hear...

1 ...if this is noticed by the devs or how they view it.

2. ...how true vs. mag north should play a role here.

aside from devs or moderators, does anyone else have an idea how true/mag could cause this behavior?

I'm the type of guy who considers DCS a sim not a game, that's why I find it important.

Dirty :-)

Hey :-)

I'd also be very interested to hear...

1 ...if this is noticed by the devs or how they view it.

2. ...how true vs. mag north should play a role here.

aside from devs or moderators, does anyone else have an idea how true/mag could cause this behavior?

I'm the type of guy who considers DCS a sim not a game, that's why I find it important.

Dirty :-)

The True vs. Mag., I don't think that plays a role here. Because the Magnetic Declination at Kutaisi is +6° 50', at Sochi is +7° 2', at Tbilisi is +6° 43', and the range of the Hud Heading Scale is ±15°. So even if the calculation was done using True vs Mag. heading, the Command Heading Marker shouldn't go out of the scale!

• 1 month later...

Had noticed a jumping heading indicator (marker on heading tape in HUD) as well last mission, pretty sure we've been flying due North on that occasion as well..

I can post a video (with timestamp) displaying this behaviour if needed, but i assume the existence of this "bug" should be recognized by now.