CASE 1 Recovery practice

Sam

Hey guys !

Since the F/A 18 came out, I had a lot of fun practicing case 1 recoveries and I wanted to share a quick video I made.

I would love to hear any comments so I can keep improving since I practice pretty much alone.

I'd like to thank Wagz, Jabbers, RedKite and A.E.W for their videos, I really saw huge improvements after watching them !

Edited by Panther 976

I've enjoyed watching the entire video. You are obviously way better at this than I am

An area where you could improve IMHO is the trimming into E bracket to catch OnSpeed. It seemed to me you were 'searching' it, while this too should become muscle memory if you know what I mean.

Love your video, thanks for sharing!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Just another airhead :megalol:

Thank you Blade !

Yes indeed, I am slowly getting there ! I can't trim up too quickly to keep that descent going to reach 600ft RA on the downwind but it also needs to be quick enough to get it done to make my life easier !

Thanks guys for your comments

That was a really good job. I wish my groove can be that smooth.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Hey guys !

Here's a second video where I make a lead turn overhead the boat at 480kts.

I was wondering if the 350kts / 800ft was mandatory or if other specific values were also used ? There's a video of a carrier break at 480kts and 500ft on youtube but I thought 800ft was the minimum altitude for the break ?

Awesome Flying! The 800ft./350kts Case 1 recovery is the standard used by the Navy under good conditions. The Carrier Break is sometimes used by experienced pilots (approaching the carrier at 500ft/500kts.) from what I understand, to show their skill. I've also heard though that if you attempt the carrier break pattern and mess it up you are ridiculed relentlessly :). There are different approaches for different weather conditions.

Hi Repth ! So if I understand, there is a difference between a CASE 1 recovery which a standard procedure (always flown at 350kts - 800ft) and something called a "carrier break" always performed at 500kts - 500ft ? Or can you find other combinations such as for example 600kts - 600ft or 450 kts - 800ft etc. etc. ?

Thanks guys ! You're right, I also feel like I'm taking long to line myself up... Maybe I should relax the pulling a little bit...

Well Nikola, you mentioned 500kts and 500ft, so I gave it go too !

Listening to pilot stories the comment on that to almost quote the guy was, "It came from a different era when these things were OK"

But it's a sandbox so it's pretty hard to apply the rigidness in the way you ask. We can model the books, but we can't really model the exceptions to the rule with being... an exception to the rule. In which case, I wouldn't worry, go copy it and call it by the book.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *