[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] ATC mode for approach

Sunshadow

Hi!

I'm trying to use ATC mode for landing approach, but I don't know how to use it properly.

When should I activate ATC? In final approach with AoA of 8.1 degrees, or earlier?

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

The ATC works pretty well. You get to the speed you want to hold and push the ATC button. After Cold and Dark start you have to push it twice in order to engage it.

Greetings

-K

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

The ATC works pretty well. You get to the speed you want to hold and push the ATC button. After Cold and Dark start you have to push it twice in order to engage it.

Greetings

-K

He means for approach, where it doesn't work as it should currently and shouldn't be used for approaches ATM.

Thank you!

But how should it be used when it's implemented properly?

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

Sounds very useful. Hope we will get this feature soon.

When ATC functions properly, the pilot sets up the approach on-AOA, on-Speed, then engage ATC. Pilot can then concentrate on maintaining AOA with the stick and throttle will automatically adjust speed.

No, the throttle moves to maintain AoA, stick controls glide path.

This is also back to front compared to how you normally do things.

When ATC functions properly, the pilot sets up the approach on-AOA, on-Speed, then engage ATC. Pilot can then concentrate on maintaining AOA with the stick and throttle will automatically adjust speed.

Throttle will move to control AoA not speed when on approach mode. Basically, you would never have to worry about AoA once on-speed, all you would have to do is move your stick, making the process way way easier.

IRL, from what I know, experienced pilots use ATC on approach all the time for Case I, but only experienced pilots, while non-experienced pilots go manual.

Obviously the experienced pilots use ATC so they don't have to use throttle, and it is only for them, since you know, they are experienced enough that they don't have to train with manual.

The procedure with ATC in Approach mode is pilot controls Flight path angle with stick, ATC controls AOA to On Speed .... its the reverse of the accepted manual procedure NATOPS discusses this in some detail.

Until the current issues with the FM in Flaps Half/Full are sorted ATC in approach mode will be very problematical.

• 10 months later...

What's been fixed? I don't think anything is broken at the moment. Approach mode simply hasn't been implemented yet and it'll probably be a while. Wags and the team are probably focused on weapons systems, tgp, ag radar etc.

Honestly I could do without it. I've just become so used to flying manual, plus I think the challenge is invigorating. And like someone else said, approach mode atc is used pretty much by the experienced guys. I like to think of myself as a JG at best.

ATC in approach mode is almost never used by real Hornet pilots, because it makes landings so easy and they get used to do it in that way, and loses skills. Only manual approach is 99% used, your hands need to be always on stick and throttle. Its like driving a car - you never let the steering wheel. So its just a cool option, but its not often used in real life.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

ATC in approach mode is almost never used by real Hornet pilots, because it makes landings so easy and they get used to do it in that way, and loses skills. Only manual approach is 99% used, your hands need to be always on stick and throttle. Its like driving a car - you never let the steering wheel. So its just a cool option, but its not often used in real life.

Absolute nonsense, if there is a safer way to land then that is what should be used, ATC makes landing safer, it reduces greatly the likelihood of a bolter. Landing on carriers is not easy, in flight refuelling is not easy if a pilot gets low on fuel then he has to refuel and it is a close margin. Many aircraft have been lost and pilots killed because of bolters.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Absolute nonsense, if there is a safer way to land then that is what should be used, ATC makes landing safer, it reduces greatly the likelihood of a bolter. Landing on carriers is not easy, in flight refuelling is not easy if a pilot gets low on fuel then he has to refuel and it is a close margin. Many aircraft have been lost and pilots killed because of bolters.

It makes sense, because If you do all in auto-mode, you will lose main pilot skills soon. And in some situations you will be in big trouble.

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

..... we were not allowed to use auto throttles in the legacy hornet rag. In the fleet you are considered more "a professional" and could use either technique as governed by squadron SOP. I never used it except to find the physical throttle position for the AS i was looking for during cruise, then promptly turned it off. Given this game and the ATC does not physicaly move your throttles, i can't use that technique so i revert back to "that pilot sh!t". I always preferred *not* flying glide slope with the nose.

What's more, auto throttles is widely used in the super hornet. Evidently it has gained popularity and confidence by the commands over the years. It was about 50/50 during my time in the legacy.

As for the game, the harder things are to master the more i get out of them. Its a game, "fun" is subjective.

Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

It’s the basic catch 22 with automated systems. If the reliability is not near 100% then you’ll need to be proficient in the manual mode. Only way to do that is lots of practice in manual mode. So you never end up taking advantage of the automated system. So why even have the system!

(This is also what makes me nervous about unleashing self driving cars onto the general public! :()

It makes sense, because If you do all in auto-mode, you will lose main pilot skills soon. And in some situations you will be in big trouble.

People do not lose their skills but the likely hood of being in a situation where you lose an aircraft from an accident is greatly reduced particularly from running out of fuel.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

People do not lose their skills but the likely hood of being in a situation where you lose an aircraft from an accident is greatly reduced particularly from running out of fuel.

Yes they do. In fact carrier qualifications are required several times on occasions where the pilot hasn't been to boat for a length of time, Same thing for A2A refueling. See indoctrination chapter in NATOPS. Of course guidelines are different from squadron to squadron, but you’ll get the idea.

Ball flying, the pattern, among other things are very perishable skills. Without constant practice they go away.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

People do not lose their skills if they use ATC for approach, it is a useful thing that makes life easier for the pilot to land on the carrier. If a pilot has a bad day and keeps missing the wire then you have a situation that no one wants. Refuelling is not fun either it is a meticulous task that is dangerous and very, very, very difficult. A pilot who misses the wire a few times has to refuel as there is a minimum. No pilot refuses something that makes landings safer and easier, ATC makes it much easier to land on the Carrier.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

SUBS17 likes to tell RW pilots they're wrong. Just ignore him.

Real World Pilot not too far from your post:

(…)

In the fleet you are considered more "a professional" and could use either technique as governed by squadron SOP.

(…)

What's more, auto throttles is widely used in the super hornet. Evidently it has gained popularity and confidence by the commands over the years. It was about 50/50 during my time in the legacy.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...
Well, I want to use it for Refueling in Air since my throttle on my Joystick is nowhere near accurate enough to hold any airspeed. I can see it being very useful in that situation.

Your throttle doesnt need to be accurate, you arent looking to set the throttle. You need to constantly jostle back and forth, speeding up and slowing down very slightly to keep position.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2