Thrustmaster Reveal - TPR Rudder System

Jabbers_

I 've already received the Thrusmaster rudder pedal while I had SlawDivse RX VIPER and MFG

I waneted to see what it was after Jabbers review, in one phrase it was not a special snow flack in addition the left pedal's toe brack is not working well ,so I contacted Thrusmaster to eather change or repair it .

thats being said, the sencetive parts are not so robust

Ops. :P

Clearly snapped by force or didn't set them up correctly.

Between us using them for months now with no issues and the thrashing use of them by big and small people at Oshkosh with no issues, there's no way that part snapped without sheer weight on the pedal.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Clearly snapped by force or didn't set them up correctly.

Between us using them for months now with no issues and the thrashing use of them by big and small people at Oshkosh with no issues, there's no way that part snapped without sheer weight on the pedal.

Thanks for your expert and totally impartial view on the matter :music_whistling:

There are to many factors at play. I'm wrapping up my review on them and should have it ready to go hopefully sometime over the long weekend. But I will say I feel like this failure was either an unfortunate defect, someone not being truthful and actually hammering on them, or improper setup (something I point out in my review... and quite possibly the issue here) ... stay tunes :)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Basically just make sure there is no tension on the ball join in the retracted and extended position of the toe brake. In some configurations when adjusting the 2 adjustment points of the toe brake angle you can get the ball joint to bind when either retracted or fully extended, the excess strain could cause an issue on both the join and adjustment point.

2 adjustment positions pointed out in this image 19Geago.png

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

For some reason, it looks awesome from side view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I had the original Thrustmaster pedal which are ok. These are definitely better as you would expect, given that they are roughly 4 times the price of the original ones. The action is nice and smooth with both rudder and toe brakes. They feel pretty solid however you may want to fix them to something as even though they are over 7kg in weight they do slide on carpet.

I’ve only used them with the f-18 and they make taxiing etc easier. I used to have a hard time parking in the f-18, now I find it easy with these. They are also way more comfortable to use than my originals ones as your feet are more upright and your pushing not sliding the pedals.

So far pretty happy with them.

t80hr8ele1j11.jpg

(I also posted this in the reddit thread regarding the picture of the failed ball joint)

In the picture you can see that the female thread has been completely been stripped out - the silver post has pulled/sheared the outer thread, you can see the remains of the other grey metal thread below the nut.

The ball joint itself has a plastic snap-in insert. The ball joint post is not bent, and the insert looks intact. If you try and transfer too much force through the actual ball joint it will pop out of the socket.

Someone over-tightened the nut. Thats the only way your going to pull (not bend) a post out like that.

Edited by Thermal

t80hr8ele1j11.jpg

(I also posted this in the reddit thread regarding the picture of the failed ball joint)

In the picture you can see that the female thread has been completely been stripped out - the silver post has pulled/sheared the outer thread, you can see the remains of the other grey metal thread below the nut.

The ball joint itself has a plastic snap-in insert. The ball joint post is not bent, and the insert looks intact. If you try and transfer too much force through the actual ball joint it will pop out of the socket.

Someone over-tightened the nut. Thats the only way your going to pull (not bend) a post out like that.

To give the guy the benefit of doubt it could have been a bad casting, but I’ve been using these every day for a month, and at times with some force and everything holds up fine, no signs of wear, stress, etc

That looks like over tightened nut. Did it break while in use or assembly? I wouldn't think you would need to torq it down especially if the there were a lock washer there, but perhaps a lock washer would tear up the aluminum.

Ordered mine and amazon said 9/20-10/7 for delivery. I may be canceling that order. Depends if there's sufficient price protection.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

• 2 weeks later...

Can the centering spring be removed on these pedals? I would primarily be using them for helicopters and don't want any centering tension but would want to use them for fixed wing from time to time by reinserting the springs when needed.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Can the centering spring be removed on these pedals? I would primarily be using them for helicopters and don't want any centering tension but would want to use them for fixed wing from time to time by reinserting the springs when needed.

Yes, they can, explained in my review.

rXfL7N7dLJc

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Now three years later - does anybody know if this breakage was a really rare incident or it is a common problem for TPR owners?

About to pull the trigger on this pedals but unsure if there is a real issue or not as when I have searched for this issue in the recent days I haven't come across anybody else reporting this problem 

Cheers

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

22 minutes ago, inexus said:

Hi all,

Now three years later - does anybody know if this breakage was a really rare incident or it is a common problem for TPR owners?

About to pull the trigger on this pedals but unsure if there is a real issue or not as when I have searched for this issue in the recent days I haven't come across anybody else reporting this problem 

Cheers

I've had mine for more than two years, put 2000+ hours in DCS VR on them, and haven't had a single problem.

• Thanks 1

Had mine for about 1 year 5 months still ok.

Edited by rapid
  • Thanks 1

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Purchased mine around christmas 2018. Screwed down in a SimRig, about 3000hrs+ with DCS, Star Citizen, ArmA3 and a few other games. No issues.

• Thanks 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Just got mine today.  First impressions for switching from Crosswinds which I have had for six years:

1: Very precise, have done limited testing but just taxiing feels fantastic.  I like the out of the box tension adjustments with no changes.  Just taking off I feel like I have a precision I never had before even with the crosswinds to keep the nose right on the center of the runway.

2: I was worried about the center bump which was mentioned.  It's perfect though, So subtle I can barely even feel it in use, but very solid centering when you need it and lift your feet up.

3: build quality seems solid, all the moving parts look like they use some teflon bushing similar to the material in an igus linear bearing.  Very smooth, but as for wear and tear who knows how it will hold up.

4: I like it being completely sealed, it's going to be a treat to keep clean compared to the crosswinds or any of the other yoke style pedals.

5: The pendular motion is nice, but it does have the downside of now moving up and down.  So at full deflection my heel wants to come off the floor on the close pedal.  This can be mitigated with seating position adjustment.

6: I don't care for the deep concave design of the toe pedals so much.  I had printed replica F-18 pedals for the crosswind which I like the shape of better.

7: The main pendulum itself is not super tight tolerance, if you grab the arms and give them a wiggle you can see the arms move a bit on the shaft.  Having not taken it apart though to see if it runs, I don't know if this is any issue.  If the shaft is on bearings inside the housing as I would assume and arms just clamp on then it doesn't much matter.

Overall very satisfied with the upgrade, they feel great and in my opinion don't need a damper at all unless maybe you are flying helos and want to go full damper no springs.  They seem like they will be amazing for helos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goblin said:

Here’s a thread about how I solved the tightness and increased the spring force of the brakes.

It's not really the toe breaks I meant, but yeah they are kind of a little clacky as well.

The main pendulum arms and how they attach to the top shaft is more what I was referring to.  They aren't really a tight tolerance fit on the shaft and you can sway the whole arm back and forth with what comes out to maybe half a millimeter to a millimeter at the bottom of the arm where the pedal attaches.

I have not tried removing the entire arm from the main shaft to see how it attaches, but I would have to guess it is just keyed to the shaft based on the way it slops around on it.  It doesn't really hamper the performance of the pedal in any way, and since they are almost zero pressure on the arm with the heel resting on the floor design it shouldn't be an issue.  It could probably be shimmed up to be more snug, but honestly I'm happy with them and don't feel the need to tinker with them.  I like the metal tie rods, in the future maybe I might consider that as a replacement for the RC car traxis style arms it has out of the box.