Frapsing

Hi again. About Fraps...again...

But i found out why my Footage was disappearing, this is just another question about FPS.

Whenever I press Ctrl-F11 or F11 the counter disappears, consequently making my footage disappear, I worked around this by pressing F11 again which switches the counter back on, but believe me, it's costing me even more joysticks and monitors. :mad:

Annndd...

(Im posting from another computer by the way) My FPS drop SIGNIFICANTLY!!! like.. from 56 FPS down to like 7 or 10 on my GOOD computer, yet this computer, you can hardly notice much of a change.

Also.. Good Computer was just formatted, 3 days ago so it's not crowded with junk.

System Specs for THIS computer:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 1

Intel®

Pentium ® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

2.81GHz

768Mb of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

GOOD COMPUTER SPECS are as follows, may be a little sketchy but ill try to remember the lot.

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Intel®

Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

3.01GHz

1GB of RAM

ATI Radeon 9550

Now why would the good computer be doing worse than the other?

Cheers

Is breaking the laws of gravity illegal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, make a track first, then edit it with all your camera angles and such. then watch it AGAIN and recors what you want with FRAPS.

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=22099

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

you'll like it alot better. believe me.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Whenever I press Ctrl-F11 or F11 the counter disappears, consequently making my footage disappear, I worked around this by pressing F11 again which switches the counter back on, but believe me, it's costing me even more joysticks and monitors.

In Fraps, go to FPS tab, and change Overlay Display Hotkey to something you don't use for camera angles eg. Scroll Lock. The default is F11 if I remember correctly, that's why it disappears when you press F11. I had the exact same problem.

If that doesn't work, go through every hotkey in Fraps options and change it to something not used for camera angles.

As for your FPS problem, compensate. If you're getting FPS at around 10 slow down twice (so it's three times slower) and so you can get 30 frames per second in your final render. If it's higher, only slow down once.

It doesn't really matter what FPS you're at when you're recording, just that FPS when recording multiplied by the amount you slow the game down equals whatever FPS you set in Fraps [Movie Tab].

Hope that helps you, and wasn't too hard to understand.

porkylomacscale1sl0.jpg

In Fraps, go to FPS tab, and change Overlay Display Hotkey to something you don't use for camera angles eg. Scroll Lock. The default is F11 if I remember correctly, that's why it disappears when you press F11. I had the exact same problem.

If that doesn't work, go through every hotkey in Fraps options and change it to something not used for camera angles.

As for your FPS problem, compensate. If you're getting FPS at around 10 slow down twice (so it's three times slower) and so you can get 30 frames per second in your final render. If it's higher, only slow down once.

It doesn't really matter what FPS you're at when you're recording, just that FPS when recording multiplied by the amount you slow the game down equals whatever FPS you set in Fraps [Movie Tab].

Hope that helps you, and wasn't too hard to understand.

Thanks for the fix on the counter.

But unfortunately yes it does matter how much I slow it down, Vegas doesn't let you speed up over 4x.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then dont slow it down that much.

The FPS blow if I don't when flying through smoke and whatnot.

Have you installed the Explosion mods? Helps with FPS issues.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Service Pack 2

AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.82GHz (from memory)

1GB of RAM

nVidia GeForce 7300LE

It's a bit worse than your computer. I get 10FPS while recording, all settings on highest possible. Check if antialising is turned off...

Ok, you might wanna check that you have "AnitAliasing" turned OFF when you are using FRAPS to record.

For some people, the fps dont really change that much whether they record WITH AA, or without.

Myself, i have to record without the use of AA, if i dont, my FPS drops down to the low 14-15's. When i record without AA, i can maintain my set fps, which is 25-30.

And if you're still having problems, and you're still having to slow down loads, try to speed up then re-render in VirtualDub. This makes a huge file, but you can still edit it as normal in Vegas. Look in the attachment for some instructions.

virtualdub_instructions.txt

porkylomacscale1sl0.jpg

Have you installed the Explosion mods? Helps with FPS issues.

Ill install the explosion mods.. right now..

And Ill think about re-rendering in that program, thx for the link!

Question for the Missile Guy! GA!!

If I turn off AA will I be able to turn it on in vegas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can in Premiere. Taken from the Help Center:

The Antialias effect blends the edges between areas of highly contrasting colors. When blended, colors create intermediate shades that make transitions between dark and light areas appear more gradual.

I see no reason why Vegas would be different, but you'd have to ask someone who uses Vegas.

porkylomacscale1sl0.jpg

yea fraps just hates some people. i was so into wanting to making sweet lockon videos for some time but fraps just ruined my experience because my frames dropped to 5-13fps when trying to record and i have

Core duo 2.0ghz rated at 4.0

2gb ram at 667mhz

GeFroce 7900GTX 512mb

i dont get that program

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think Fraps works the same for all of us, it's just that you have to make your expectations fit *your* PC and the software's abilities. Fraps is doing a staggeringly difficult job when you consider the fact that LOMAC pretty much sucks up all the CPU and graphics power you can throw at it.

Even with a dual core, 2.4GHz AMD and a fast, PCI-E bus graphics card (both of which help according to the Frap's creator, but nowhere near as much as I'd hoped) I set Fraps to record at 15fps (force it in the options). I fly at 800x600 with x2/x4fsaa (no fsaa is better but I dislike it enough to put up with the potential frame rate hit). I have LOMAC set to maximum settings except for viewing distance, and when I record I slow LOMAC down to 1/2 or -- usually -- 1/4 speed. That way I can usually get the frame rate to be fairly solid at 14-15fps.

When recording a clip pause the action, start Fraps recording, let the frame rate settle (it sometimes takes a few seconds), then start LOMAC again.

Making movies is hard work, and it took me many, many hours and lots of dodgy movies to work out you only win if you stop trying to fight the hardware. No two PCs are identical and there is no substitue whatsoever for putting in hours of work to find out how to get the best out of *your* setup. You may have to cut down on detail in LOMAC. You may have to fly at a resolution you dislike. You may have spend far longer than you ever hoped getting a single clip recorded smoothly. You may even have to record at 1/8th speed, accelerate that x4 in your editor, render that at full quality, then put it back into the editor to speed it up to normal. But that's life... just when you thought it couldn't get any more messy, complicated, or annoying it does!

The only things anyone needs to make a movie are patience and perseverance. It's the 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration thing again. Get used to it. :-)

Here endeth the lesson.

Andrew McP

• Like 2

sp0nge...Andrew has hit the nail on the head there. Making a LO movie will be hard, but all you need is determination and patience. I can Fraps ok, and I'm learning Premiere quickly, but I'm way off my movie yet. And I expect that in a few weeks, if not months, I will still be a long way off my movie. Don't be disheartened by something that doesn't work out!

As for alternative programs, there is Game Cam There's a Basic version which is free but when I tried that I wasn't impressed, but I know a few who swear by it, so it's worth a go.

Also in looking for Game Cam's website I found another one that might be of interest...ZD Soft Game Recorder. I'm gonna try it out right now and see how it is, but I don't know anyone who's ever used it before.

Well...LO failed to load when it was running, but I got DOD:S up, but failed to connect to a server before the 60sec time limit kicked me out. So that was probably a waste of time lol. If you could get hold of a full version then, I dunno, maybe it's worth it.

porkylomacscale1sl0.jpg

• ED Team

I'm not the "missile" guy. My name has nothing to do with the missile. It's just a name. :P

Regarding AA in vegas....i really have no idea if you can "turn on AA" in vegas... sounds kinda weird to me.

I don't feel that i have to use AA when recording, cause i record at full-screen. And when i render my movie into 720x576 res, the movie is resized down, which means less pixels, which in turn means less jaggies.

Besides, when you render your movie, there is some AA work involved, although it's not that much. I think it's around 2x AA.