Op Hammerfall p.3 funny ending

Thought I would share this, although this seems like the typical "AI got a brain freeze" kind of situation. So not sure there is anything that can be done about it.

In this mission (see title), I have always had some issues with the AI. I ask for it to attack, it shoots either one, or both of its Mavericks, and then stops doing anything. But, since I had so much trouble doing that mission, I never made a big deal out of it.

Now, yesterday, I was finally in good position to finish it. I asked my Wingmen to attack, once I had destroyed the SAM. It shot one Maverick, then didn't do much, apart from dropping all of its flare in some weird panick moment...

Anyhow, after a few minutes I asked him again to attack. He responded "Unable to comply" or something like. And right after, maybe 30 seconds after that, he said "RTB" in the radio.

I thought "Weird...?". So I pushed F2 and he looked in perfect shape. No damage whatsoever, nothing.

So I let him do his thing... thinking "Maybe a mechanical failure?" (can AI suffer failures btw?). 15 minutes later he said "I'm hit!", so I pushed F2 again and he was inside a building, right next to the initial position airport (Kabuleti). I looked like he overshot the runway... or crashed before it, depends which direction he was going.

I then finished the mission. I was pretty damaged, so had some kind of a rough landing (only my right gear was still functionning), but managed to land it.

Got a score of 35 for the stuff I destroyed, but a result of 50. Maybe my question would be, is this because my Wingmen crashed?

I don't know how result is calculated, so I was wondering what could cause the result of 50 instead of 100.

I guess this is my only question.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Got a score of 35 for the stuff I destroyed, but a result of 50. Maybe my question would be, is this because my Wingmen crashed?

The score is automatically calculated by DCS, based on the enemy units you destroyed, your own (player) aircraft losses, and huge minus points for any blue-on-blue.

The results can be assigned by the mission designer for each and any condition.

In TEW campaign, almost all missions require the player to land "properly" to get a mission success, and to achieve a score of 100.

The trigger zone to detect a "proper" landing is placed in the middle of the airfield, Kobuleti in most missions. With a damaged landing gear, I'm guessing your aircraft came to a complete stop before reaching the center of the runway? In that case, you could have repaired it, taxied along the runway, and that mission probably would have ended with good results. Sounds like you were just a few meters away from it... :music_whistling:

The score is automatically calculated by DCS, based on the enemy units you destroyed, your own (player) aircraft losses, and huge minus points for any blue-on-blue.

The results can be assigned by the mission designer for each and any condition.

In TEW campaign, almost all missions require the player to land "properly" to get a mission success, and to achieve a score of 100.

The trigger zone to detect a "proper" landing is placed in the middle of the airfield, Kobuleti in most missions. With a damaged landing gear, I'm guessing your aircraft came to a complete stop before reaching the center of the runway? In that case, you could have repaired it, taxied along the runway, and that mission probably would have ended with good results. Sounds like you were just a few meters away from it... :music_whistling:

Note quite...! I had an engine down, only the right gear functional, damage to my wings, and it was windy as hell..

Therefore, I was able to touch the runway with a low enough speed and a relatively "ok" descent... but I was kinda all over the place. As soon as I touched the runway, the aircraft turned left and went into the grass, on a good distance.

So to say I was a few feet away from 100 is being optimistic! hahaha!

But good to know, next time I'll just repair and taxi to the appropriate place.

That is, as long as in 2.5.0 we can now roll in the grass? In 1.5 it was completely stopping the aircraft.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

That is, as long as in 2.5.0 we can now roll in the grass? In 1.5 it was completely stopping the aircraft.

Good point; I think the behavior is still the same. But worth a try anyway, it only takes about 3 minutes (plus spooling down the engines before the 3 minute timer starts, and another couple of minutes to spool them up again).

See the 40 page thread about the dirt in DCS for myriad examples. :lol:

I'm wondering if that's been locked, or no one dared offer yet another repetition of opinions that had pretty much been voiced on the first page already. Best not to find out, I guess. :music_whistling: :D

Well... seems I'm stuck on that mission. That or... it's the last mission or something?

I was able to complete it with 0 damage, with perfect landing, bring back my Wingman, etc. Destroyed the SAM, the bunkers, got the UH1 to land, they told me package delivered you can RTB, etc etc.

Still a score of 50. At first I thought "Oh well... who cares..." And thought I'd just continue the campaign anyway.

Welp, the next mission is AGAIN Hammerfall Part 3. So I did it, AGAIN! With no damage, etc etc. Same thing.

But when I push "Next Mission", it is still Hammerfall Part 3...

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I thought if you'd fail a mission you could decide to continue anyway. And this was actually the suggestion of Baltic Dragon, to those who got frustrated about that mission...

I really don't feel like doing it once more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would add that I just experienced a similar issues with Hammerfall 3. Targets destoyed and Uzi completes its drop off and you receive orders to RTB. Upon landing there isn't the usual Mission Success message and score remains at 50.

Warrior also doesnt seem to respond to the bunkers being destoyed, you get a message stating that you have new radio options (call in Uzi) and Warriors options disapear from the menu without the usual, no further tasking call.

I also couldnt get get a direct response to Overlord on a bogey dope about the Mig floating around. Although, I did hear the BRA calls on the way to the target

I have tweaked the missionlog file to move on, but it does look like there might be something funny with the triggers.

PS. Really enjoing the campaign so far, and this is the first mission I have seen any issues with.