Hook Bypass

DeadMeat

The Hook Bypass switch starts in FIELD mode by default when doing a cold start from an airfield. It should start in CARRIER, as power from the generators/ground power is off.

Further, if it is not manually cycled to CARRIER and back to FIELD after power-up, the switch stays in FIELD does not behave as it should i.e. it doesn't revert to CARRIER when turning the power off again or when lowering the hook in the air after takeoff.

This second issue also arises when starting in the air or with engines running on the ground. In these cases, the switch also starts in FIELD position (which otherwise seems fine, since it could have been put there after engine startup) and won't spring to CARRIER when cutting generator power or lowering the hook.

The only cases I could find where the switch starts as intended/works as it should without cycling it first, is in a cold start on a carrier (via mission editor) and in the carrier takeoff instant actions.

2.6.1.6 Approach Lights/Arresting Hook Floodlight.

Three approach lights are on the nose gear strut. With all landing gear down and locked, and weight off the gear, the lights come on as a function of angle of attack. A green light indicates a high angle of attack, an amber light indicates optimum angle of attack and a red light indicates a low angle of attack. The operating approach light flashes if the arresting hook is not down and the HOOK BYPASS switch, on the left vertical panel, is in CARRIER. If the HOOK BYPASS switch is in FIELD, the lights do not flash. The FIELD position is solenoid held and reverts to CARRIER when the arresting hook is lowered or electrical power is shutdown after flight. On aircraft 161353 THRU 162909, an arresting hook floodlight on the left inboard landing gear door (when installed) illuminates the arresting hook area when the approach lights are on, provided the exterior lights master switch is on. The approach lights are dimmed whenever the warning/caution/advisory lights are dimmed. The arresting hook floodlight cannot be dimmed. On aircraft 163092 AND UP, the arresting hook floodlight is removed.

2.12.10 Angle-Of-Attack (AOA) Indexer.

The AOA indexer (figure 2-19) is mounted to the left of the HUD. It displays approach angle of attack (AOA) with lighted symbols. Corresponding AOA indications are shown on the HUD. The indexer only operates with the landing gear down, W-off-W, a valid ADC AOA signal and a functional ADC. The lighted symbol(s) flash if the arresting hook is up and the hook bypass switch, on the left vertical panel, is in CARRIER. The symbols do not flash with the arresting hook up and the hook bypass switch in FIELD. The switch is solenoid held to FIELD and automatically goes to CARRIER when the arresting hook is lowered or aircraft power is removed. The AOA indexer knob on the HUD controls dimming of the symbols. All symbols light when the lights test switch on the interior lights control panel is held to TEST.

Hook Bypass

2a983a4dff98a79ea4161a453726db3c.png

Image of the NATOPS manual.

When bypass is set to Carrier and the hook is up, the indexer flashes.

However, when the bypass is set to Field and the hook is lowered, it does not change the Hook Bypass switch to Carrier, as described above.

• ED Team
IIRC a cold start on land will have the switch in field, which it shouldn't be from reading that too. Can someone confirm? Good catch.

That is correct, I just fixed this internally. About behaviour inflight with hook down - I can't confirm without a track.

In flight

Gear and Flaps EXTENDED

Hook bypass set to FIELD

Lowering the hook does not set it to CARRIER.

That is correct, I just fixed this internally. About behaviour inflight with hook down - I can't confirm without a track.

Track added.

I can't confirm this. How do you use Hook Bypass switch? With keyboard or somehow else? A track would be helpful.

I don't. I leave it alone. I extend flaps, gear, then the hook. NATOPS above says it should automatically switch the Hook Bypass switch to CARRIER once the hook is lowered.

Hook Bypass Test.trk

Edited by Booger

IIRC a cold start on land will have the switch in field, which it shouldn't be from reading that too. Can someone confirm? Good catch.

Edited: You're right. No airplane power, per NATOPS.

Edited by Booger

Was just reading that part of the NATOPS today, and tested it. I was going to ask about it as well.

Runi. "IceCat"

Printable A5 F/A-18C Checklist

Win 10 Pro 64bit, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, Intel Core I7 9700K @4.7 - 4.9 GHz,

Nvidia Asus GeForce GTX 1080TI 11Gb, G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 C16 DC - 32GB (2x(2x8Gb)), Samsung 870 NVME + Multiple Samsung 850 & 860 EVO SSDs, Dell P2414H & U2414H Monitors.