Throttle behavior and settings

Out of curiosity, has anyone found the throttles on the Hornet to be a little ineffective in the first half of the band? I'm using the TM Warthog HOTAS and haven't messed with curves or anything yet. Saturation is 100%.

I notice it most when I'm taxiing around. I have to push the throttles over half just to get the A/C to roll with no loadout and minimal fuel. In most other sim A/C it seems like just inching the throttle forward should be enough thrust to start a roll.

Is this true to the Hornet IRL?

Also, has anyone with the TM Warthog found the need to tweak their throttle settings, specific to the Hornet? If so, what changes have you made?

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

Out of curiosity, has anyone found the throttles on the Hornet to be a little ineffective in the first half of the band? I'm using the TM Warthog HOTAS and haven't messed with curves or anything yet. Saturation is 100%.

I notice it most when I'm taxiing around. I have to push the throttles over half just to get the A/C to roll with no loadout and minimal fuel. In most other sim A/C it seems like just inching the throttle forward should be enough thrust to start a roll.

Is this true to the Hornet IRL?

Also, has anyone with the TM Warthog found the need to tweak their throttle settings, specific to the Hornet? If so, what changes have you made?

Same thing here. Same HOTAS. I think you need about 80% thrust just to taxi. It seems like a lags a bit though. It could be because it’s just such an awesome flight and system model. So we are just not used to the real deal. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

I will have to check again, but pretty sure after my carrier landings I am able to taxi to parking area with around 40-50% throttle to get it moving, then back off a little.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

RCTRL-ENTER brings up the Joystick overlay in game. You can also see a trim indicator when in FLAPS-FULL.

You can clearly see the first 10% of physical throttle travel is a software induced deadzone, which is a bit of a pain.

• 6 months later...

F-18 Throttle

Found problem: Had throttles as Sliders, unchecking Sliders allowed for full use of Throttles. . .

Using RCntl-Enter, can see that DCS throttles do not advance off idle until the Saitek Throttle is past 50% of the real throttle, this leaves only 50% to 100% usable . . . Thus, twice as sensitive . . . Anywhere can adjust the throttle in DCS to get full Throttle range . . . The Saitek software shows the Throttles are at idle when the actual throttle is at idle, etc, etc . . . It is only the F-18 . . .

Edited by jserdynski

Great find! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift