Air-Air Refueling

muehlema

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I got frustrated yesterday and gave up. I can't even make contact. Closest I got was almost in the basket, but I oscillate too much when it's close trying to make contact. I over correct each time.
Yup I have this issue too. I have a curve of 20 on my warthog stick. I removed the deadzone of 5. I probably should use curve of 25 and have no deadzone?

I managed to connect but i used autothrottle. Set it to 1 knot less than the tanker and then just focus on flying and lining up with the basket.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I’ve noticed the tanker will give a “breakaway” call whenever a contact is made right now. Is this a known bug?

gassed a couple times this morning

havent encountered that at all

so many possibilities here you're better off attaching a replay if it keeps happening

I was totally frustrated with this a couple of days ago. Shot down the tanker couple of times... even in a multiplayer server (forgot I was online). :)

Then after I had let it rest for a week or so, because of frustrations. I took it back up. And suddenly it clicked. From one session to the next. Very weird, but very rewarding.

So as they say: Practice, practice, practice.

I’ve noticed the tanker will give a “breakaway” call whenever a contact is made right now. Is this a known bug?

I get that every time, so do others. I don't have trouble keeping contact when I get into the basket, so I don't think it's user error.

Also general advice for others that I'm having success with, reference the tanker itself rather than the basket for making smooth corrections. Get lined up and slowly move into the basket watching primarily the tanker with the basket in your peripheral vision. Try to make corrections in one direction at a time (don't go up and left at the same time, etc.)

Everyone's technique for refueling will be different so no one can really tell you what you should be doing as one person may use something for lining up you may use a different technique. I like to use autothrottle at first to stabilize my oscillations then take it off autothrottle as I get near. Sometimes I'm lazy and can't connect so autothrottle helps me stabilize.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I don't know what the heck happened but I'm able to fill the bags from a turning tanker every time now! Is it practice? lol

I was even able to float around pretty close to the tanker with some lateral movement too.

Maybe I got better at jockeying that throttle...

Had that a lot with the KC-130 when the Harrier was released (and the KC-130 along with it). Seemed like a bug to me, since my closure rate was in the 1 to 2 knots region and I was still well aft of the drogue.

I'd just ignore the call and go on. ;)

Once I figured out to make micro-movements with the joystick, a tiny nudge in the direction I want and release, it started working for me.

The throttle fell into place after that.

Thanks

Pizmo

PS Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if if I'm repeating

Edit: Thanks to all the YouTube teachers. I picked that tip up there somewhere.

Edited by Pizmo

• ED Team

topic is Air-Air Refuelling please stick to it,

treat everyone with respect,

off topic posts will be removed.

Rules can be found at the top of the page.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The issue I find with most people trying to refuel is that they want to chase the refueling plane. In a sense you want to fly through it. Think of it like driving.. you look ahead, not at the road just in front 10 feet away. Look past the drogue and should take care of your problem. when ready to disconnect just decrease power a slight bit.

I am having issue with getting into pre-contact position. I try to be at par with tanker speed but I overshoot most times. When Mission editor say 300knts for tanker, is this indicated, True or Ground speed.

I have tried setting curves in my hotas still no luck.

Earnestly want to put the aar process in the bag having gotten around PA trimming.

AAR is very crucial for long distant missions.

Most videos on yt on aar do not lay out procedures of getting to pre-contact position.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Not sure where to put this so Ill just ask here instead of opening another thread.

Is ED planning on adding an AI refueling Superbug with that will help top off Hornets and Tomcats during Case2 and Case3 recovery?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I am having issue with getting into pre-contact position. I try to be at par with tanker speed but I overshoot most times. When Mission editor say 300knts for tanker, is this indicated, True or Ground speed.

I have tried setting curves in my hotas still no luck.

Earnestly want to put the aar process in the bag having gotten around PA trimming.

AAR is very crucial for long distant missions.

Most videos on yt on aar do not lay out procedures of getting to pre-contact position.

You can try aligning the 10 degree left bracket on your HUD with the last engine on the left of the tanker.

It's true air speed. So if it says 300 it's more or less a bit slower is what I've found.

First fly level behind the tanker. From a distance make yourself at nearly the same level as the tanker. Make sure the nose is perfectly aligned with the horizon line in your HUD too.

Then add speed slowly. Start by going two knots faster, then 3 then back to two. Keep chopping throttle until you are about 500 ft from the tanker.

What I do at this point is make sure I'm 1 knot slower than the tanker. Then I engage autothrottle. Once that's done, I I just slowly in small tiny increments align myself with the probe. With small pitch moves and side to side shifts you should enter the basket. Once I am in, I disengage autothrottle unless I'm flying exactly the speed of the tanker. Then I just watch the horizon and look up at the tanker. Sometimes with autothrottle all I have to do is keep level with the tanker.

Edited by sze5003

Not sure where to put this so Ill just ask here instead of opening another thread.

Is ED planning on adding an AI refueling Superbug with that will help top off Hornets and Tomcats during Case2 and Case3 recovery?

ED hasn't announced anything about a Super bug for buddy refueling, but they are updating the S-3 model. It will fill the role nicely.

You can try aligning the 10 degree left bracket on your HUD with the last engine on the left of the tanker.

It's true air speed. So if it says 300 it's more or less a bit slower is what I've found.

First fly level behind the tanker. From a distance make yourself at nearly the same level as the tanker. Make sure the nose is perfectly aligned with the horizon line in your HUD too.

Then add speed slowly. Start by going two knots faster, then 3 then back to two. Keep chopping throttle until you are about 500 ft from the tanker.

What I do at this point is make sure I'm 1 knot slower than the tanker. Then I engage autothrottle. Once that's done, I I just slowly in small tiny increments align myself with the probe. With small pitch moves and side to side shifts you should enter the basket. Once I am in, I disengage autothrottle unless I'm flying exactly the speed of the tanker. Then I just watch the horizon and look up at the tanker. Sometimes with autothrottle all I have to do is keep level with the tanker.

Sze5003. How nice of you. Got a lot from your method. Certainly would be putting that to use. Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Sze5003. How nice of you. Got a lot from your method. Certainly would be putting that to use. Cheers.
Sure let me know if that works. The auto throttle for me helps a lot because my warthog throttle isn't giving such a smooth response. If the tanker is flying 265 knots I set 265 and then creep into the basket. Then I just stay level and watch the tanker and the horizon. If it moves up a bit or down I adjust my pitch accordingly and having the autothrottle helps in this case to keep the speed.

I'll disengage it when I see the tanker variations move a lot. I was able to connect and get like 2500 lb of fuel this way.

No one has mentioned that the Il-76 (Il-78 ) is the easiest ting to refuel behind ...

I couldn't agree more! :thumbup: I think that it is the lights on the pod that give you a clue as to whether you are moving in or out. On another note regarding the IL-78, I find it very annoying that the Russian/Ukrainian plane does not give you altitude information when you declare your intention to refuel. So, I always use the USAF Aggressors as the country for the IL-78 so that they always reply in English exactly as the S-3 and KC-130 do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I sure will let you know how it goes. One quick question.

When the tanker says go to say 8000 ft as pre-contact position, do I get to that altitude exactly?

Most times, I find myself above the tanker if I go to the pre-contact altitude stated by the tanker?