Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

I wouldn't say it's a big challenge. It mainly affects MiG-15 pilots so GCI operators might want to jump on the 4.95 MHz frequency quickly and let them know of it. Give it time and it will work.

It's such a tiny little detail and it can't be overlooked. It's just that I never cared to actually take a look at the options I have in SRS as an admin with so many other things going on. Good to have a helpful community!

Thank you and others for the support throughout the years and God bless you all!

Anyone who uses SRS with any of the FC3 modules should already be familiar with how this works! You tune using the SRS overlay, and you can easily program channel presets by creating a small text file. It's well documented in Cribob's videos.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. Dell XPS-8500 24GB, i7-3770@3.40GHz, Win 10Pro, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, TiR, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, CH throttle and pedals, all maps, most modules

After having multiple pm's with Conker4 back and forth since the ban he received, and after he reached out to me on TS today and we had a conversation for about an hour, I decided to remove the ban and give him another chance, Although I'm still convinced of my position on a few things, but not all.

I told Conker4 that I'll have to announce that here, as the whole thing was talked about so publicly from the beginning, so that you guys don't end up issuing reports about him being able to join the server again.

Note:

No replies needed, please, at least not publicly. I'd rather handle reports about players privately, however, and as mentioned above, this one was exceptional in that regard.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

Operation Prince of Persia:

- 24 x Mi-24's added. 4 slots.

- Ka-50's reduced in numbers. Instead of 12 at mission's start, it's now 8 x Ka-50's.

- The mission being big and demanding will not be part of the daily rotation.

- Therefore, and just like operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed, the mission will go online once in a while.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Any chance of more B-52s as well? 🥺

Also, I was testing something offline yesterday and randomly picked a weather preset. Turns out there was some interesting turbulence going on in it, and it made me realise that I've only ever seen turbulence once or twice in DCS and it was only set to a fairly tame level. It'd be cool to see it in some missions from time to time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rossmum said:

Any chance of more B-52s as well? 🥺

Also, I was testing something offline yesterday and randomly picked a weather preset. Turns out there was some interesting turbulence going on in it, and it made me realise that I've only ever seen turbulence once or twice in DCS and it was only set to a fairly tame level. It'd be cool to see it in some missions from time to time.

More of those in a specific mission or a new mission with B-52's?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

Am 10.7.2021 um 18:51 schrieb Alpenwolf:

I'm not aware of any SC Kuznetsov. Unless you mean the 2017 (remake) Kuznetsov? In that case, yes. It simply looks way better with more details onboard.

this is the SuperCarrier Адмирал флота Советского Союза Кузнецов, it has working blast-shield animations, is retextured, working radar and secnet arrays, working animated wheelblocks integrating with the Su-33s stageII burner, different approach messages, approach ligthning and animations aso aso aso.. and the firetruck is gone ( 😞 ) . It came with the SC module, is a module-exclusive and was the reason everyone got an Su-33 with the module account-infused (fe I now have two).

And you are very right, almost everyone attending your extremely well thought-through and balanced for the current possibilities within DCS-MP server will have the module, moreso if interested to use carrier-based aiframes.. and the inevitable statistical minority that does not still has enough alternatives in every mission.

Edited by rogorogo
  • Thanks 1

After receiving quite some pm's over the last 2 weeks, I had to reconsider the issue with the Viggen:

Yes, the pylons' bug is quite annoying, but so do many other modules have a bug or more as well. Some bugs we can live with, others are just way too much. Removing any module because of that is never the solution, otherwise I'd end up adding and removing modules constantly. Obviously, rubbish! I've tried restricting the Viggen with a script that causes damage to its engine once a certain speed limit is exceeded, and that added even more work and wasn't justified for the Viggen at all. It was too... restrictive.

As many of you know I stepped away from playing DCS for several months, since the beginning of the year. And you have to know that I'm often reacting to your posts, feedback, replies, criticism, etc. and relying on what's written. At some point, players started reporting the Viggen's pylons' bug to me quite often. It even resulted in long discussions amongst users of this very thread, as many of you know. I don't own the Viggen and I don't plan on doing so. And I wasn't flying during that time so I had to react to what was constantly being reported, while not paying attention to other modules' bugs, which is unfortunately a normality in DCS, and frankly, no one ever cared! So it's been rather a journey ever since with the Viggen story, especially because I wasn't flying, so I was never able to evaluate the whole thing from my own perspective.

Conclusion:

Not restricting the Viggen would obviously upset a lot of Red players. Restricting it, however, upsets Viggen pilots and affects Blue's CAS and strike missions immensely. Therefore, in order to avoid any similar endless discussions in the future, and players reporting each other over exploiting bugs in modules, I decided to not get involved in trying to fix what 3rd parties fail to fix or don't even want to fix. The intention was always to keep things as playable and enjoyable for all (never possible though, so let's say the majority of players), hence the restrictions, the scripts, the kicking, the banning and all of that. I thought I might get somewhere with it and start applying the same to other modules at some point, but it turned out to be a disaster. So, all of you Viggen players who reached out to me, and other players as well, for the love of God just enjoy your modules anyway you like while at least trying to stick with the objectives. And if exploiting a bug can be avoided, then please, do so.

That's all.

Leave me out of 3rd party issues, please.

I tried though...

Sometimes pushing too much to get as close as possible to perfection leads to unfortunate results. Well, this one was very unfortunate.

Fly safe!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

According to patchnotes the negative pylon drag bug has been fixed, haven't tested it though. Damage model remains a problem as just earler today we had one with one wing and a burning engine continue tailing a Su-25 until he was finished off with a missile which seems to have killed the pilot.

Most people didn't exploit this stuff, but there are always some.

e/

20 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

More of those in a specific mission or a new mission with B-52's?

Both would be cool.

Also, update: regardless what the patchnotes say, the issue persists. RIP.

Edited by rossmum

I've always considered this situation an unfortunate balance of bugs. We appreciate your efforts trying to balance @Alpenwolf, thank you for trying suggestions.

8 hours ago, rossmum said:

Also, update: regardless what the patchnotes say, the issue persists. RIP.

If there is a RIP here it is the MiG21's broken RWR lock indications to others and radar overperformance issues that have been seemingly ignored since formally posted months ago (and there are earlier comments on these issues also ignored or overlooked). Most players are blissfully unaware of these MiG21 advantages as it is not as obvious in game or in tacview as the Viggen's speed bug. The availability of the unrealistic ASP pipper, that tracks targets, is also questionable. In the mean time the F5 has RWR functionality missing and the jet nozzle scheduling bug are still present. The Viggen speed and damage issues have shown improvement with the recent patches and show some hope of being resolved (and also HB were fairly honest and didn't say the recent patched fixed the issue, but were tweaks they could do while busy finishing the F14 and Forrestal).

• Like 1

Core i5 6600k@4.2Ghz | 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz | MSI 2070 Gaming Z | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | Thrustmaster Warthog

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present :D

Viggen

• Updates to sidewinder pylon drag coefficients. (DCS changelog)

Also in the past I can't confirm but I'm sure that they have mentioned that the Viggen has a damage model, but the visual damage can desync and not have a visual damage model that correctly represents what the damage should be and again I think it was the case the visual model was too delicate/aggressive compared to the actual damage.

Hope the fact that the drag on the pylons have been fixed means that they are looking into fixing the drag and power values. 1450+-50kph soon TM hopefully and a good acceleration curve, not the 5g acceleration to 1.3mach then you hit a brick wall we have now.

Just now, LoneS said:

I know you hate these question but I'll ask 🙂

how many F-1 slots will blue have? will it replace any blue aircraft?

4-6 slots will be the standard. I'm leaning towards 6 though. Bigger missions will have 8-10 slots.

In some missions the F-1 will be added without removing anything from the Blue roster. However, if I add 6+ slots then I think (not sure yet) it will be on the cost of removing 2-4 F-5 slots to avoid imbalance. But these are just ideas so far. We'll see.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, pmiceli said:

Alpenwolf,

Any chance we can get Show Transmitter Name enabled on the SRS server? This will show who is talking on the SRS overlay and would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

Question: not sure if this has been brought up before but can there be at least one mission where only the A-4 Skyhawk among mods is allowed? The latest update of this aircraft is splendid and has a proper EFM (I believe it's still a beta release) but my god is it realistic!

Screen_181124_100629.png

Edited by carss

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

5 hours ago, carss said:

Question: not sure if this has been brought up before but can there be at least one mission where only the A-4 Skyhawk among mods is allowed? The latest update of this aircraft is splendid and has a proper EFM (I believe it's still a beta release) but my god is it realistic!

Has been discussed many times, try the search function 🙂

Core i5 6600k@4.2Ghz | 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz | MSI 2070 Gaming Z | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | Thrustmaster Warthog

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present :D

6 hours ago, carss said:

Screen_181124_100629.png

My man, carss! Long time, mate.

And as you know, this has been discussed multiple times, mainly with you years ago 😉

Check out FAQ number 9 here.

And again, sorry to disappoint you, but if ED or third parties don't care about (or maybe just can't for whatever reasons) making it a module then it's on them, despite the A-4 being one hell of a Cold War plane. Shame. Waiting on the F-4 too among many other modules.

Every module we get is either way too modern and probably hasn't seen battle in real life or way too old; WWll. anything in between seems forgotten or neglected. Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

... So they're working on the Eurofighter -__-

Again, some too modern aircraft with ZERO wartime (thank God for that). As a mission designer, you're always looking for assets and aircraft that can suit a certain era, and have them all included to either try and replicate an actual skirmish that once took place, or come up with a fictive scenario but still based on what was used back in the day. And as a player you'd appreciate that, I dare presume. Why? Because it's like you're reliving some epic battle you might've read or watched a movie about. Pretty much as it is in some other video games featuring WWll stuff or Vietnam, etc.

The focus here, however, seems to always be on modules, their textures, how realistic the cockpit looks like, how the systems work, etc. which is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to neglect the outside world, which is the world outside the "cockpit". The very ambience you fly in and everything dynamic in it. Or is it dynamic? So where does the Eurofighter fit in all this really? Or am I just some annoying DCS player who is very finicky about everything while the majority of players is not? Maybe I am... I think, I am 😉

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

On 8/1/2021 at 6:31 AM, Alpenwolf said:

My man, carss! Long time, mate.

And as you know, this has been discussed multiple times, mainly with you years ago 😉

Check out FAQ number 9 here.

And again, sorry to disappoint you, but if ED or third parties don't care about (or maybe just can't for whatever reasons) making it a module then it's on them, despite the A-4 being one hell of a Cold War plane. Shame. Waiting on the F-4 too among many other modules.

Every module we get is either way too modern and probably hasn't seen battle in real life or way too old; WWll. anything in between seems forgotten or neglected. Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

... So they're working on the Eurofighter -__-

Again, some too modern aircraft with ZERO wartime (thank God for that). As a mission designer, you're always looking for assets and aircraft that can suit a certain era, and have them all included to either try and replicate an actual skirmish that once took place, or come up with a fictive scenario but still based on what was used back in the day. And as a player you'd appreciate that, I dare presume. Why? Because it's like you're reliving some epic battle you might've read or watched a movie about. Pretty much as it is in some other video games featuring WWll stuff or Vietnam, etc.

The focus here, however, seems to always be on modules, their textures, how realistic the cockpit looks like, how the systems work, etc. which is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to neglect the outside world, which is the world outside the "cockpit". The very ambience you fly in and everything dynamic in it. Or is it dynamic? So where does the Eurofighter fit in all this really? Or am I just some annoying DCS player who is very finicky about everything while the majority of players is not? Maybe I am... I think, I am 😉

Hey Alpenwolf, yeah you're right and I do wholly understand your point of view. Now I did speak to (I can't exactly remember) was it Chizh or Nineline asked them if they would integrate the A-4 into DCS as an asset, they said they'd gladly do it and they just need the yes from the main creators and they'd work with them. Now on the off chance that this happens just out of curiosity? Would you then maybe consider including it? Because then it won't break integrity nor would people have to download it

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

On 8/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Take the MiG-21 for instance. Why the bis version?! Why not some good old MiG-21 version that actually saw war in Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc.? Why not have the F-16A or B for instance? How about the AH-64A? F-15A? F-18A? Get the picture? It seems as if they always push towards the most modern version they can get their hands on, when older versions saw more wartime and quite often in many different regions across the globe.

I can answer this specific question. The Leatherneck lead developer at the time of the Mig21BIS development was an active duty Serbian fighter pilot. The MiGs he flew were of the Mig21 BIS variant, at the time he flew on that type they were already old and mostly obsolete but still in service since they were the most common fighter type that Yugoslavia operated and that Serbia and the other nations who formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia inherited. (I'm not sure about Serbia, but for example Croatia still operates a few BIS Migs that are operational) It's not always about what they want to develop, but what they have access to. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i9-9900KF@5Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, carss said:

Hey Alpenwolf, yeah you're right and I do wholly understand your point of view. Now I did speak to (I can't exactly remember) was it Chizh or Nineline asked them if they would integrate the A-4 into DCS as an asset, they said they'd gladly do it and they just need the yes from the main creators and they'd work with them. Now on the off chance that this happens just out of curiosity? Would you then maybe consider including it? Because then it won't break integrity nor would people have to download it

In that case, yes! Everyone would have it by default and no additional constant monitoring of that mod is required.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I can answer this specific question. The Leatherneck lead developer at the time of the Mig21BIS development was an active duty Serbian fighter pilot. The MiGs he flew were of the Mig21 BIS variant, at the time he flew on that type they were already old and mostly obsolete but still in service since they were the most common fighter type that Yugoslavia operated and that Serbia and the other nations who formed after the breakup of Yugoslavia inherited. (I'm not sure about Serbia, but for example Croatia still operates a few BIS Migs that are operational) It's not always about what they want to develop, but what they have access to. 

Thanks for the explanation. Although, I do doubt it applies to all the other modules I mentioned as an example 😉

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Helicopters Tournaments

@Alpenwolf Please correct me if I'm wrong but TrueGrit's lead developer is (or was, not sure about that) an active duty German Airforce fighter pilot who flew on....you guessed it the Eurofighter Typhoon type 😉

But I digress, I get where you're coming form and the fact of the matter is that most players will always want to get their hands on the latest and the best. It's understandable. I don't mind it, and I think that it's even skewed in our favor since we are still getting some great "oldies" in the pipeline. In fact most of the new modules in development are indeed cold war aircraft. The Mirage F1, the Mig23, Mig29A, the Crusader F-8, the A-7 Corsiar, the A-6 Intruder, etc. 

In fact I was extremely surprised that we are even getting a Typhoon, or that an AH64D is in development. If anything I would argue that these "newer" aircraft are the exception and not the rule where DCS is concerned. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i9-9900KF@5Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.