Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Yeah and I was able to once I landed and could bring up the overlay (didn't want to mess with it in the air and risk crashing and losing the plane) but to prevent some confusion with new players using SRS just having the channel preset like in the MiG 21 could solve some minor headaches

Isn't there an in-game overlay and an out-of-game overlay?

Ground crew won't replace an empty drop tank unless you rearm without the tank, then rearm with it AFAIK. It's one of the reasons I don't make any special effort to bring them home in the 21, 19, or F-5 (aside from fighting with them on being very suboptimal).

Ground crew won't replace an empty drop tank unless you rearm without the tank, then rearm with it AFAIK. It's one of the reasons I don't make any special effort to bring them home in the 21, 19, or F-5 (aside from fighting with them on being very suboptimal).

Ahhh. Yeah usually I do, and I thought that I had, however the patameters to release the drop tank in the 29 is a little more picky then with the 21. I only noticed the light indicating it was still attached when I was RTB, and at that point I was like ehhh why not just land with it.

Maybe there's a bug in "Once upon a time in Abu Dhabi". I was not able to find crates that were supposed to be dropped at enemy airbases, but in the CTLD menu there was a dashed line where I would expect an option to choose.

Oh, and thanks to those two F-5 experts repeatedly shooting up the HAWK site I put up well in blue territory. You guys really enrich the sim experience.

Maybe there's a bug in "Once upon a time in Abu Dhabi". I was not able to find crates that were supposed to be dropped at enemy airbases, but in the CTLD menu there was a dashed line where I would expect an option to choose.

Oh, and thanks to those two F-5 experts repeatedly shooting up the HAWK site I put up well in blue territory. You guys really enrich the sim experience.

Speaking of HAWK sites, I feel like there's barely any space over which the dogfighters can actually...dogfight. You come barely north and you guys get Kubs in the face, meanwhile I spend 20 minutes draining your HAWK sites of ammo, wait for enemy fighters to show up, start the merge aaaaaand...HAWK to the face. Maybe I'm just looking for a Cold War server that doesn't exist yet.

I prefer that the Hilos should not be able to deliver any kind of SAM sites, only AAA and Manpads.

Can you imagine if the Cold War server was about dogfighting and not having half your team roleplaying as War Thunder Ground Forces? It's almost as if the entire logistics side can be done on literally any other server if people fancy scratching their heli itch.

Speaking of HAWK sites, I feel like there's barely any space over which the dogfighters can actually...dogfight. You come barely north and you guys get Kubs in the face, meanwhile I spend 20 minutes draining your HAWK sites of ammo, wait for enemy fighters to show up, start the merge aaaaaand...HAWK to the face. Maybe I'm just looking for a Cold War server that doesn't exist yet.

You seem to be looking for a simple furball server... with Cold War planes. I think there are plenty of those available.

• Like 1

The dashed line is were you normally can select troops to transport. Until infantry units are modified at some stage in DCS and become reliable to use I'll have to stick with transporting vehicles of different types instead. Otherwise, you'd see transport helicopters transporting nothing but troops. Gotta deal with what we have here.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Excellent! If you need an instructor in the 21 then I'd be happy to help. It'll be interesting to see how an F-5 pilot reacts to the Fishbed's numerous quirks. :joystick:

Thanks man, that would be awesome ! I'm down for it If you're available one of these days or after a mission :thumbup:

MANPADS/Avengers/Strelas and AAA are far greater threats than Hawks or even Kubs, especially with how low we all fly. If you are getting hit by Hawks then I don't know what to say, they're so bad they can scarcely hit a gently manoeuvring target at mid/high alt and will not hit you at all down low. They are mostly used to force people away from main bases or force them down into IR SAM coverage.

As for ground forces... rarely more than one or two people are in actual ground vehicles, and the entire point of air superiority is to be able to provide effective support for ground troops. If you're looking for GS/JDF but Cold War, this ain't it, chief. I mostly fly CAP in the 21, for a long time it was all I did, but there's a surprising amount of fun to be had with some of the other assets in the server and the mission design ensures there's something for everyone. I would rather not see that change in favour of fantasy air jousting over empty battlefields.

MANPADS/Avengers/Strelas and AAA are far greater threats than Hawks or even Kubs, especially with how low we all fly. If you are getting hit by Hawks then I don't know what to say, they're so bad they can scarcely hit a gently manoeuvring target at mid/high alt and will not hit you at all down low. They are mostly used to force people away from main bases or force them down into IR SAM coverage.

As for ground forces... rarely more than one or two people are in actual ground vehicles, and the entire point of air superiority is to be able to provide effective support for ground troops. If you're looking for GS/JDF but Cold War, this ain't it, chief. I mostly fly CAP in the 21, for a long time it was all I did, but there's a surprising amount of fun to be had with some of the other assets in the server and the mission design ensures there's something for everyone. I would rather not see that change in favour of fantasy air jousting over empty battlefields.

Don't worry, I'm not changing anything.

The reason why only SAM site batteries (e.g. KUB and Hawk systems) are allowed in the mission Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is because they're easier to defeat than MANPAD's and IR SAM units. Imagine having the latter between all these building at Abu Dhabi. Now, imagine all the complaints should I do that. The 4 airbases at Abu Dhabi are too close from one another. Spamming the area with IR SAM's would result in a slaughter over bulls. And by the way, it's only 3 KUB/Hawk sites per coalition. And it's only 4 MANPAD's per coalition stationed at the FARP. You can assign waypoint for all 4 MANPAD's if you want and send them to bulls, however, they'd need 3-4 hours to get there. Good luck with that. They're supposed to defend the FARP so they shouldn't be moved around that much.

This is the one mission with the least amount of air defences. Never had anyone complaining about SAM sites. Now that's a start...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Don't worry, I'm not changing anything.

The reason why only SAM site batteries (e.g. KUB and Hawk systems) are allowed in the mission Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is because they're easier to defeat than MANPAD's and IR SAM units. Imagine having the latter between all these building at Abu Dhabi. Now, imagine all the complaints should I do that. The 4 airbases at Abu Dhabi are too close from one another. Spamming the area with IR SAM's would result in a slaughter over bulls. And by the way, it's only 3 KUB/Hawk sites per coalition. And it's only 4 MANPAD's per coalition stationed at the FARP. You can assign waypoint for all 4 MANPAD's if you want and send them to bulls, however, they'd need 3-4 hours to get there. Good luck with that. They're supposed to defend the FARP so they shouldn't be moved around that much.

This is the one mission with the least amount of air defences. Never had anyone complaining about SAM sites. Now that's a start...

Plus it doesn't happen that often on the server that a helicopter pilot makes the effort to fly four crates some distance to put up such a site.

In fact there is still plenty of simple non-mission-oriented flying for dogfighting around bullseye going on here.

The dashed line is were you normally can select troops to transport. Until infantry units are modified at some stage in DCS and become reliable to use I'll have to stick with transporting vehicles of different types instead. Otherwise, you'd see transport helicopters transporting nothing but troops. Gotta deal with what we have here.

This means I don't have to transport/sling-load some sort of crate to an airbase, but simply drop a tank there? I wasn't sure about this.

This means I don't have to transport/sling-load some sort of crate to an airbase, but simply drop a tank there? I wasn't sure about this.

Take whatever type of ground units you want for that matter. EWR, tank, APC, ammo truck, (infantries if available), etc. Doesn't matter.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey guys,

I started flying the Mig-21 recently and I have some stuff that I can't figure out.

I have a keybind for the "request bogey dope" command but since there are 2 channels (15 and 124) on redfor the call using that keybind is made on the first line of channels which is 15. Do you guys use a macro or something to avoid having to go through the whole F7-F2-F4 stuff to call the right ewr frequency ?

Second question is about engine flameouts, I understand the fishbed hates negative g's but I sometimes get flameouts when flying straight or climbing with afterburner on. I can't pinpoint why that happens, should I go easy on afterburner use for some reason ?

Thanks in avance ! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I started flying the Mig-21 recently and I have some stuff that I can't figure out.

I have a keybind for the "request bogey dope" command but since there are 2 channels (15 and 124) on redfor the call using that keybind is made on the first line of channels which is 15. Do you guys use a macro or something to avoid having to go through the whole F7-F2-F4 stuff to call the right ewr frequency ?

Second question is about engine flameouts, I understand the fishbed hates negative g's but I sometimes get flameouts when flying straight or climbing with afterburner on. I can't pinpoint why that happens, should I go easy on afterburner use for some reason ?

Thanks in avance ! :thumbup:

I press F7-F2-F4 without even looking these days. Done it quite often so it's becoming natural, I guess. So when there's no EWR for the MiG-15's (destroyed or something), the F2 gives me "direction for home plate" :)

As you said it yourself, it's not just the negative G's, but also the "zero" G force -> flying straight. You can go for a while before flaming out while flying straight. It never happened to me while climbing though. Sometimes I take off and keep climbing until I get to 10k m or higher without flaming out. But here's how I do it: I'm always increasing the angle of attack or rate of climb SLOWLY to rather have positive G's than constant or negative G's while climbing. Climbing at 10 degrees per second, then seconds later 12-13, then 15-17 and so on. At some point it's 35-40 degrees (or more if I'm being too rash about it) by the time I get to the desired altitude. I then do a barrel roll rather than pulling negative G's to hold the altitude while slowly pulling the throttle backwards. Works like a charm and it should. I mean, the MiG-21's supposed to fly fast and get to a high altitude to intercept enemy bombers, right? So there you go.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Five Points Unleashed:

- ALL aircraft are limited in numbers, except for helicopters due to the long distances to cover, mainly for Mi-8's and UH-1's.

- ALL ground units can be moved/driven around.

- Each side has 2 x cmdr and 4 x JTAC slots. Using these slots requires players to always be on SRS, especially if they're moving/driving around ground units. I kicked quite some players for not doing that and I wouldn't hesitate doing that again.

- The mission goes online tonight around 1900 zulu.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Check you're not overspeeding. The engine chokes anywhere between 1,300-1,380km/h (the MiG-21's design speed limit being 1,300km/h IAS, which is normal for the era but not simulated in certain modules) and if you're in afterburner it can be very easy to pass through this without noticing.

Check you're not overspeeding. The engine chokes anywhere between 1,300-1,380km/h (the MiG-21's design speed limit being 1,300km/h IAS, which is normal for the era but not simulated in certain modules) and if you're in afterburner it can be very easy to pass through this without noticing.

That must be it ! Thanks man :worthy:

Server News:

- Operation Sneaky Bastards is offline.

- Operation One Night in Arabia is back online.

Operation One Night in Arabia:

- Instead of 12 x MiG-21 slots, 8 available.

- Instead of 12 x F-5 slots, 8 available.

- Instead of 2 x Su-25's Red has 2 x Su-25T's. This is due to the fact that Blue has the A-10A, the AJS37 and especially the AV-8B as strikers in this night mission.

- The mission lasts for 3 hours instead of 5.

- Limiting aircraft numbers in this mission is impossible because the operational airbases I'm using have 4-6 slots only.

- Will try and figure out something. Maybe with this.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

- ALL ground units in the mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed can now be moved and driven around. Instead of just having 4 x JTAC slots each coalition has 2 x cmdr slots too.

- The smoke markers in the mission Search & Destroy were removed. I hope by now most players know where the two lakes and towns are.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Thanks to Count (I think?) for making this MiG-29 kill possible...a GCI makes a difference.

• Like 1

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

Adding WWII units would mean people have to buy the WWII asset pack to play on the server, which will severely limit the number of players able to join.

I'd like to see more T-55 vs M60 fights, but I don't think the M60 is compatible with Combined Arms :(