Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Hi again chaps,

This is a little more explaining how to do some of the things that a ground commander does, if your thinking about combined arms, check it out.  It's sometimes frustrating as you will see, but you will get a flavour of how much fun it can be using the ground vehicles.

It also proves that one man can change the war if your wanting to help your side seek victory.

Enjoy the mission.

https://m.twitch.tv/mikedelta_dcs/home
I’ve changed the link to my channel, the old link would be dead due to time limits of the upload. 

See you in the next fight...

Mike-Delta

Edited by MarkMD
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MarkMD said:

Hi again chaps,

This is a little more explaining how to do some of the things that a ground commander does, if your thinking about combined arms, check it out.  It's sometimes frustrating as you will see, but you will get a flavour of how much fun it can be using the ground vehicles.

It also proves that one man can change the war if your wanting to help your side seek victory.

Enjoy the mission.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1133246628

Mike-Delta

Thanks for posting these. Fun to watch from the GCI viewpoint 

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkMD said:

Hi again chaps,

Enjoy the mission.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1133246628

Mike-Delta

This is exactly what you and I have been talking about for a long time. With ED seeming to work on upgrading the CA module, we can only hope to see more players interested in the ground warfare.

As you already know, and surely many players by now, the CA module is a centre point in most missions. If one capable operator is online, the whole dynamic changes and the battlefield seems way more different than what it was the last time one flew the same mission. So, basically, the same mission could be experienced differently every time one flies it. And you notice how lame it can be when the operators are not there. The comms become very quite, boring, solo flights are then the result and the experience is totally a disappointing one.

After flying for quite a long time on different servers before starting to host, the "CA issue" was a very annoying one to me; Static ground vehicles everywhere just waiting for inevitable destruction. I knew it was a risk to include the module (surely not very popular as other modules). Nevertheless, I even started wrapping the missions' design around it. I simply couldn't have it otherwise. It was either my way or no way. And I know that the missions seem to be rather very demanding sometimes, especially, if one was to read the briefings and dedicate his time to accomplishing the objectives. Yes, most players don't have the time to do that, hence the trouble that comes along with it. And by trouble I mean, lack of teamwork, lack of interest in being on comms with others when one just wants to fly around a bit, etc. That gives some veterans of the server headache and causes frustration occasionally. I guess, it always will be like that. Hard to get a large and dedicated community for modules that are lost somewhere between WWll and modern modules. The two enjoy way more upgrades and care by the developers. Besides, the average player is mainly interested in modern equipment anyway, so that makes it even more difficult to have a community like that to lock the server up with a password for it. Not to fail to mention that the whole DCS community is by far not big enough for such a purpose in the first place. I mean, who loves aviation that much, right? It's a very unique thing and not everyone's cup of tea. You can't compare it with all the games out there where some of them run tournaments and give loads of money for the winners! You're somehow cursed if aviation is your passion 😉

Thank you all for sticking around the server, despite all the hardship.

Safe flying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hi AlpenWolf,

I would like to appreciate all of your efforts in ColdWar 1947-1991 (there are bunch of other servers as cold war which influence by your server ) is best the public server in my opinion, hope to see 80s server by YOU (as you sometimes host it too) in the list of the available pubic servers.

I flew in your server for last 5 years and it is the only public server which I flew in just because of the missions design, weapons restrictions, realism, people (love it when I see MD~Merlin in GCI, please be on SRS people 😄 ) which all make it a real pleasure.

I would like to give some comment about Homs missions and generally the AI skills in all missions. The Homs is pretty challenging mission which Red has superiority due to Ka-50 and Mi-24 availability, on the other hand there are only 32 AGM-65H available for two ships A-10A (which make available for only 5 sorties, and if the plane crash without single shot, the blue will lose 6 mavricks which happen frequently), is it possible to revisit this and maybe increase the number of AGM-65H as well as availability of RB-75 for Viggens? there is not any RB-75 available for Viggen at the moment which make it very challenging to bomb the Tanks/OutPosts and Armor vehicles by F-5.

although the skills of all of the Armor vehicles in all missions set to Excellent and I believe this level ("Excellent") is probably unrealistic, the Artilleries and Zu-32s can engage prior to Shikka with quite high accuracy compare to Shilka (they are most likely shoot at aircrafts like snipers 😄 ), it might give a better experience if the level set to random for troops and vehicles off the main airbase.

Thanks again for the efforts and beautiful missions

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Raviar said:

Hi AlpenWolf,

I would like to appreciate all of your efforts in ColdWar 1947-1991 (there are bunch of other servers as cold war which influence by your server ) is best the public server in my opinion, hope to see 80s server by YOU (as you sometimes host it too) in the list of the available pubic servers.

I flew in your server for last 5 years and it is the only public server which I flew in just because of the missions design, weapons restrictions, realism, people (love it when I see MD~Merlin in GCI, please be on SRS people 😄 ) which all make it a real pleasure.

I would like to give some comment about Homs missions and generally the AI skills in all missions. The Homs is pretty challenging mission which Red has superiority due to Ka-50 and Mi-24 availability, on the other hand there are only 32 AGM-65H available for two ships A-10A (which make available for only 5 sorties, and if the plane crash without single shot, the blue will lose 6 mavricks which happen frequently), is it possible to revisit this and maybe increase the number of AGM-65H as well as availability of RB-75 for Viggens? there is not any RB-75 available for Viggen at the moment which make it very challenging to bomb the Tanks/OutPosts and Armor vehicles by F-5.

although the skills of all of the Armor vehicles in all missions set to Excellent and I believe this level ("Excellent") is probably unrealistic, the Artilleries and Zu-32s can engage prior to Shikka with quite high accuracy compare to Shilka (they are most likely shoot at aircrafts like snipers 😄 ), it might give a better experience if the level set to random for troops and vehicles off the main airbase.

Thanks again for the efforts and beautiful missions

Thanks, mate!

Good points regarding Homs. The mission is several months old and with less players flying Syria missions I get less feedback there.

Isn't the RB-05A also used for air-to-ground purposes? It's rarely used by Viggen pilots on the server, I know. Now, is it rarely used because it's more difficult to use (and the average player prefers the fancy weapons and easier stuff...) or because there are other factors I'm not aware of?

- Added 64 x AGM-65H missiles instead of 32.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Isn't the RB-05A also used for air-to-ground purposes? It's rarely used by Viggen pilots on the server, I know. Now, is it rarely used because it's more difficult to use (and the average player prefers the fancy weapons and easier stuff...) or because there are other factors I'm not aware of?

With rb05's you are limited to carrying only 2 missiles and the other pylons can only take pods or air to air. 

With the Rb75 you can carry 4, have longer range and the fire & forget capability gives you a much better chance of survival. 

However they have much less COOL factor 😁

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

Just now, Rover said:

With rb05's you are limited to carrying only 2 missiles and the other pylons can only take pods or air to air. 

With the Rb75 you can carry 4, have longer range and the fire & forget capability gives you a much better chance of survival. 

However they have much less COOL factor 😁

Even if it had been 4 x RB-05A's, players would still argue for the RB-75. You know, the fancy stuff is what most want. However, the mission is really tough on Blue, so I'll add some RB-75's. One question though: What's the difference between the F and the T variants?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

27 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

What's the difference between the F and the T variants?

I'm no expert but I think its like this:

RB75 is a Swedish AGM-65

RB75T have a heavier warhead (Tung=heavy)

RB75B is a fictional Swedish variant of a AGM-65B (Sensor has less fov with better "zoom").

• Thanks 2

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

Even if it had been 4 x RB-05A's, players would still argue for the RB-75. You know, the fancy stuff is what most want. However, the mission is really tough on Blue, so I'll add some RB-75's. One question though: What's the difference between the F and the T variants?

RB-75A will knockout everything regardless of panzer size

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

This is the best server!.

Over time, more cold war planes will arrive and the experience will improve much more.

Mig-17

Mirage III

Mirage F1

F-8 Crusader 

G-91

Mig-29A (clickable)

Bo-105

more variety in the skies ✈️🚁😎.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, Alpenwolf said:

So maybe it is about time I went for the VR experience? Hmmm...

VR, when the hardware gives a consistent frame rate, elevates the experience so radically it is almost like a different game. 

Your eyes will be opened. The air will be sweeter. Food will taste different. The first time you merge with an opponent at full burner - it is a religious experience. You reconsider everything. 

I am only joking, but only half. You will be a changed man.

• Like 2

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

6 hours ago, DrRed said:

VR, when the hardware gives a consistent frame rate, elevates the experience so radically it is almost like a different game. 

Your eyes will be opened. The air will be sweeter. Food will taste different. The first time you merge with an opponent at full burner - it is a religious experience. You reconsider everything. 

I am only joking, but only half. You will be a changed man.

Well said 😉

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Operation: Close Air Support

Situation:

- The mission focuses on helicopters and the Combined Arms module ONLY. Fast movers are excluded!
- Therefore, it will not be part of the daily missions, but rather put online occasionally.
- Featured map: Persian Gulf.

Red operates from Al Ain Intl Airbase, a western and an eastern FARP.
Blue operates from Fujairah Intl Airbase, a western and an eastern FARP.

*** The mission runs for 6 hours, unless the objective is completed ***

The objective is to capture all 3 airbases of the enemy by either moving in ground units or deploying troops.

Mi-8's and UH-1's can transport only troops. Use whatever ground vehicles available sensibly and have Mi-24's/SA342's provide CAS.

Combined Arms or GCI operators are vital in this mission. Players might want to do it for a while and swap slots with helicopter pilots for a change. Up to the players.

* Note that the additional and third Blue FARP, Warsaw, is NOT part of the objective. It's only there for SA342L's to operate from *

Red Objectives:

Important Notes:

All helicopters are limited in numbers!
Basically, you can land your helicopter at Al Ain Intl Airbase or one of our two FARP's to save it. However, it's preferred to RTB to the airbase/FARP you started at to avoid transferring all or most helicopters to one airbase/FARP.

Helicopters landing at Al Ain Intl Airbase must land within 1 km from the airbase to save the helicopter.
Each FARP has 4 single helipads. 2 for Mi-24's and 2 for Mi-8's. Check out the briefing images to know what single helipads are suited for your type of helicopter to land at in order to save the helicopter. If you land and leave (exit the slot) the helicopter at the wrong helipad, the helicopter is indeed saved, but players will have no access to it, because there's no slot to choose for that type of helicopter at that certain helipad.

* This is a limitation in the game we have to deal with *

*******************************************************************************************************

- Each FARP (friendly and foe) has 2 x AAA emplacements, a few MBT's, APC's and scout vehicles around it.
- The T-72B is our MBT. The enemy's is the Merkava IV.
- BTR-80's are our APC's. M-113's are the enemy's.
- BRDM-2's are our scout cars. The enemy's are Humvees.
- The only IR SAM threats are UH-1 deployed MANAPD's. Only 2 x Chaparrals at the enemy's airbase, Fujairah Intl.
- 1 x Hawk SAM site at Fujairah Intl Airbase.
- UH-1's can deploy troops only, so no additional SAM units or AAA's for the enemy.

*******************************************************************************************************

Mi-24's:

Waypoint-1 is the enemy's western FARP
Waypoint-2 is the enemy's eastern FARP
Waypoint-3 is the enemy's airbase, Fujairah Intl

Search & Destroy enemy ground units!

It's preferred to have the GCI operator scout a specific area using his ground units, before you go in there not knowing what might await you.

* Note that the enemy has 1 x Hawk SAM site and 2 x Chaparrals at Fujairah Intl Airbase. The latter is mobile! *
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mi-8's:

Waypoint-1 is the enemy's western FARP
Waypoint-2 is the enemy's eastern FARP
Waypoint-3 is the enemy's airbase, Fujairah Intl

Deploy troops at areas where they can intercept enemy ground units or helicopters.
In addition, you can deploy troops at the enemy's FARP's or airbase to capture them.

The assault troop consists of 1 x AK-47, 2 x MG's, 2 x RPG's and 1 x MANPAD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yak-52's:

You objective is to provide reconnaissance for your GCI operator. Maintain a high altitude while doing so to avoid being shot down by MANPAD's and AAA's.

Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
Frequencies:

* EWR's are NOT available!

GCI/Team's main comms: 124 MHz - Channel 0 for Mi-24's on the R-863 radio system
Jadro (for comms amongst helicopters only): 03550.0 kHz

Al Ain Intl Airbase: 119.85 MHz
FARP Vetka: 127.5 MHz
FARP Yunga: 129.5 MHz

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Blue Objectives:

Important Notes:

All helicopters are limited in numbers!
Basically, you can land your helicopter at Fujairah Intl Airbase or one of our two FARP's to save it. However, it's preferred to RTB to the airbase/FARP you started at to avoid transferring all or most helicopters to one airbase/FARP.

Helicopters landing at Fujairah Intl Airbase must land within 1 mile from the airbase to save the helicopter.
Each FARP has 4 single helipads. 2 for SA342M's and 2 for UH-1's. Check out the briefing images to know what single helipads are suited for your type of helicopter to land at in order to save the helicopter. If you land and leave (exit the slot) the helicopter at the wrong helipad, the helicopter is indeed saved, but players will have no access to it, because there no slot to choose for that type of helicopter at that certain helipad.

* This is a limitation in the game we have to deal with *

- Each FARP (friendly and foe) has 2 x AAA emplacements, a few MBT's, APC's and scout vehicles around it.
- The Merkava IV is our MBT. The enemy's is the T-72B.
- M-113's are our APC's. BTR-80's are the enemy's.
- Humvee's are our scout cars. The enemy's are BRDM-2.
- The only IR SAM threats are Mi-8 deployed MANAPD's. Only 2 x SA-9's at the enemy's airbase, Al Ain Intl.
- 1 x SA-6 SAM site at Al Ain Intl Airbase.
- Mi-8's can deploy troops only, so no additional SAM units or AAA's for the enemy.

SA342M's:

Waypoint-1 is the enemy's eastern FARP
Waypoint-2 is the enemy's western FARP
Waypoint-3 is the enemy's airbase, Al Ain Intl

Search & Destroy enemy ground units!

It's preferred to have the GCI operator scout a specific area using his ground units, before you go in there not knowing what might await you.

* Note that the enemy has 1 x SA-6 SAM site and 2 x SA-9's at Al Ain Intl Airbase. The latter is mobile! *

SA342L's:

Your primary target is enemy helicopters, especially, Mi-24P's!
Make sure you always RTB to FARP Warsaw to save the helicopter!

UH-1's:

Deploy troops at areas where they can intercept enemy ground units or helicopters.
In addition, you can deploy troops at the enemy's FARP's or airbase to capture them.

The assault troop consists of 1 x M4, 2 x MG's, 2 x RPG's and 1 x MANPAD.

Christen Eagle ll's:

You objective is to provide reconnaissance for your GCI operator. Maintain a high altitude while doing so to avoid being shot down by MANPAD's and AAA's.

Combined Arms:

The 2 cmdr slots are for players controlling ground units while being on SRS with each other and other players to coordinate their attacks.
You MUST be on SRS as a cmdr operator!
The JTAC slots are mainly for players who want to check out the situation quickly, provide GCI for a group of people or preferably everyone. In addition, you can use the JTAC slot to drive a ground unit. However, the latter requires you being on comms with cmdr operators to avoid confusion and/or causing problems to their attacks.
Frequencies:

* EWR's are NOT available!

GCI/Team's main comms: 251 MHz

Fujairah Intl Airbase: 124.60 MHz / 251.25 MHz
FARP Rome: 257.5 MHz
FARP Madrid: 259.5 MHz

FARP Warsaw: 133.5 MHz - For SA342L's only!

briefing image.png

Red FARP's.png

Blue FARP's.png

Red Notes.png

Blue Notes.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

51 minutes ago, rossmum said:

Sounds interesting, and finally enough Hind slots for everyone 😄

Never figured you for a Hind man 😉

The mission will probably go online this Friday. Hope to see some Combined Arms players too. Someone to counter Mike-Delta. I'll try and join the party and ruin it for him 😉

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

@AlpenwolfAny chance of a few Mustangs? 

There are Mustangs in 2 missions (Sukhumi - The Beginning and Mountain Peaks) simulating the early stages of the Cold War. Not saying they were used back then in the 50's and 60's, but I thought it would be okay nonetheless to include them and the I-16's as well.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

There are Mustangs in 2 missions (Sukhumi - The Beginning and Mountain Peaks) simulating the early stages of the Cold War. Not saying they were used back then in the 50's and 60's, but I thought it would be okay nonetheless to include them and the I-16's as well.

I was referring to Close Air Support. Sorry. 

I consider the Mustang as a stand in for all the prop driven FAC/CAS aircraft used from 1950 to today

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

1 hour ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Me refería al apoyo aéreo cercano. Perdón. 

Considero al Mustang como un sustituto de todos los aviones FAC / CAS propulsados por hélice utilizados desde 1950 hasta hoy.

P-51, P-47 blue and Fw-190A8 Red, to replace this beauty...but it would turn into a WWII battle.

Douglas-a-1-skyrider-navy-1024x768.jpg

Edited by Tavo89

57 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I was referring to Close Air Support. Sorry. 

I consider the Mustang as a stand in for all the prop driven FAC/CAS aircraft used from 1950 to today

I thought about adding 2-4 "fast mover" slots per side. I had the MiG-15 and the F-86 in mind. Then the L-39 and the C-101 to give helicopters the chance of fighting back. I even thought about the P-51 and the I-16. I also considered the Yak-52 and the Christen Eagle ll as scout planes. Apart from the latter, the airplanes would give helicopters a hard time and players would end up hunting each other, rather than focusing on their CAS roles and completing the objective.

Maybe in the future, I don't know.

There is only 1 x SAM site per side and it's at the main airbase, far away from the FARP's. That should give helicopter pilots the chance of flying higher than what they're used to, worrying only about enemy ground units and possibly helicopters as well. Shilkas and Vulcans are excluded to allow even Mi-8's and UH-1's to test their skills at strafing ground units. No doubt the T-72 or the Merkava lV could be tough to destroy with unguided rockets, but surviving their MG's is very likely, unlike AAA's or BMP-2's and Bradley's. So, adding any type of airplanes would change the whole dynamic of things.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

@Alpenwolf I forgot to suggest marking the helipads with red or white marker flags per helicopter type. Maybe red for CAS and White for Transports for each side.

flagqhite.jpg

flagred.jpg

Whether they're marked with flags or the way I've done it with designing different looking helipads, it's all the same. Besides, I use hidden single helipads, hence all the static units marking the H square. Nevertheless, the player will have to read the briefing and check out the images to know where he should land once RTB. In addition, if you land your Mi-24/SA342M at the wrong helipad you'll notice that ATGM's are not available there. Airbases are an exception.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just now, LoneS said:

I prefer how Alpy marked he helipads. You can see that instantly without zooming in on small flags.

I wouldn't mind the YAK52 😛

The Christen Eagle 2 is from the 80s and can also scout.....

Would love to scout.....

I wouldn't mind the two airplanes either. They don't carry any weapons and the argument for excluding airplanes was not against them. Might add them next time, just not yet.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments