Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

6 hours ago, The_Tau said:

Is it possible to increase amount of prop planes to like 15-20? They are easily lost to ground fire, especially ZU 23s 😛

Are you telling me there are people who fly them?! Wouldn't have thought.

Sorry, mate, the number remains the same. It's post WWll and the WWll planes are therefore in small numbers flying their last sorties so to speak.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hey! I've been learning the Mig-21 lately and it was time to try this server. I had a great time although those Avengers had even a greater time with me 😂

Congratulations to Alpenwolf, great fun server.

Is there an official Discord for this server?

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

1 hour ago, Al-Azraq said:

Hey! I've been learning the Mig-21 lately and it was time to try this server. I had a great time although those Avengers had even a greater time with me 😂

Congratulations to Alpenwolf, great fun server.

Is there an official Discord for this server?

Welcome aboard, mate!

You'll get used to those bloody AA's. The briefings should help you avoid flying over hot areas. However, Combined Arms players will surely move around their assets as they see fit.

TeamsSpeak 3 and SRS are the tools used for communication. No Discord.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

There's 2 bugs i want to report regarding the deep strike objective, and the B-52 triggered by it in the mission "Catch me if you can"

1st bug: Killing the Sa-2 STR did not bring up any messages
I've taken a viggen and decided to drop a bunch of high drag bombs on the target, in an overfly attack
Here's some before and after screenshots
Before
before.png
After
after.png
The strike was a success, destroying the STR, and 4 launchers
However, no message confirming target destruction ever came up, like it used to a few months ago, if memory serves me well
Interestingly enough, the Sa-2 STR never had the white "hit" box you can see on other units in the "after" screenshots

Secondly, the B-52 never bombed it's target
It spawned ok, and flew towards the target alright, until 20nm from the target, at which point it turned right, pulled a 270 degree turn, flew back over the sea, and then turned left to retreat to sochi
It was never under any direct threat, never locked by enemy fighters, as they were busy with our own, and the enemy Sa-6's were destroyed by the script, as intended (i presume)

It's a little difficult to capture in a few screenshots, so i m linking the tacview recording
Would upload it directly, but it's too big
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fwUCE9tLnCqt0XYsQl-5xrwvE7xbdmeN/view?usp=sharing

Time stamps:

Viggen strike: 2 hours and 1 minute in

B-52 Weirdness:  3 hours 31 minutes in

Maybe the mission is working as intended, but these 2 things stood out to me as something worth bringing up
Thanks for hosting a good server Alpen 👍

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

7 hours ago, BonerCat said:

There's 2 bugs i want to report regarding the deep strike objective, and the B-52 triggered by it in the mission "Catch me if you can"

1st bug: Killing the Sa-2 STR did not bring up any messages
I've taken a viggen and decided to drop a bunch of high drag bombs on the target, in an overfly attack
Here's some before and after screenshots
Before
before.png
After
after.png
The strike was a success, destroying the STR, and 4 launchers
However, no message confirming target destruction ever came up, like it used to a few months ago, if memory serves me well
Interestingly enough, the Sa-2 STR never had the white "hit" box you can see on other units in the "after" screenshots

Secondly, the B-52 never bombed it's target
It spawned ok, and flew towards the target alright, until 20nm from the target, at which point it turned right, pulled a 270 degree turn, flew back over the sea, and then turned left to retreat to sochi
It was never under any direct threat, never locked by enemy fighters, as they were busy with our own, and the enemy Sa-6's were destroyed by the script, as intended (i presume)

It's a little difficult to capture in a few screenshots, so i m linking the tacview recording
Would upload it directly, but it's too big
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fwUCE9tLnCqt0XYsQl-5xrwvE7xbdmeN/view?usp=sharing

Time stamps:

Viggen strike: 2 hours and 1 minute in

B-52 Weirdness:  3 hours 31 minutes in

Maybe the mission is working as intended, but these 2 things stood out to me as something worth bringing up
Thanks for hosting a good server Alpen 👍

Thanks for the detailed report. I like that 👍

... Aánd it's good to see someone tending to the objective rather than going air-to-air only. And because this is a rare occasion generally and in this mission especially I never knew anything about these bugs. However, and as you've said it yourself some months ago there was no issue with it. And I had my body, NaCH, back in the day testing the objective for me in his Viggen and it worked flawlessly.

AI B-52 behaviour falls under the long term problem with AI in DCS in general. Some updates are released and suddenly specific AI behaviour is changed radically. Which is why I try to stay away from involving AI planes that much while making bombers an exception. Otherwise you'd see AI F-4's and AI MiG-23's, etc.

I'll have a look at the issues once back home from work.

Cheers, mate!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I have a tactical question for you guys: How do you deal with the deadly Avengers in the Mig-21? I tried to pre flare, jink, cut throttle, etc. but they are all aspect and they always hit me in the face when trying to perform an strike run.

Any tips?

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

19 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

I have a tactical question for you guys: How do you deal with the deadly Avengers in the Mig-21? I tried to pre flare, jink, cut throttle, etc. but they are all aspect and they always hit me in the face when trying to perform an strike run.

Any tips?

Looks like you are doing everything correctly. The amount of flares dropped is crucial though, the more, the better. You should also avoid a second pass, deliver your ordinance in "one pass and haul ass." Doing so you can afford to drop more flares in your attack run.

On another note, when you fly by an Avenger (at 90° angle or similar) at higher speeds (> M0.8) their Stingers are pretty harmless. Even though they track, most will not hit you.

Edited by Pilot Ike

1 hour ago, Pilot Ike said:

Looks like you are doing everything correctly. The amount of flares dropped is crucial though, the more, the better. You should also avoid a second pass, deliver your ordinance in "one pass and haul ass." Doing so you can afford to drop more flares in your attack run.

On another note, when you fly by an Avenger (at 90° angle or similar) at higher speeds (> M0.8) their Stingers are pretty harmless. Even though they track, most will not hit you.

Thanks! I'm new to the Mig-21 so I'm sure I'm doing many things wrong and for starters, I was doing more than one run. I will try to avoid that. Also yeah, I noticed that some Stingers were missing me when shooting to my face so I'll try to stay fast, drop ordinance and haul ass with as many flares as possible.

Anyways, I noticed the Avengers are way more deadly than Strelas.

2 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

Anyways, I noticed the Avengers are way more deadly than Strelas.

That's disputable, and we don't have any hard figures.

The SA-9 (Strela-1) yes, it's inferior to Stinger. SA-13 (Strela-10) and SA-18 (Igla-S) are on par with Stinger in terms of missile/seeker performance.

The only disadvantage of the SA-13 system in-game is that the AI will use radar for ranging and is therefore detectable by RWR.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pilot Ike said:

That's disputable, and we don't have any hard figures.

The SA-9 (Strela-1) yes, it's inferior to Stinger. SA-13 (Strela-10) and SA-18 (Igla-S) are on par with Stinger in terms of missile/seeker performance.

The only disadvantage of the SA-13 system in-game is that the AI will use radar for ranging and is therefore detectable by RWR.

Tactical Commander can actually disable radar or set engagement ranges😛

• Thanks 1

Quick question. Are there any missions on this server that feature the Mig29? Seems like it might be a good fit for the 80s timeframe. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Quick question. Are there any missions on this server that feature the Mig29? Seems like it might be a good fit for the 80s timeframe. 

Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed (currently offline)

Search & Destroy (currently offline - will be back online soon)

Open Range (currently online)

When The Mountains Cry (currently online)

All 4 missions feature the MiG-29A and the F-14A.

No ER's, no Phoenixes. R's and 7M's plus "inferior" IR seekers -> R-60M's (no R-73's) and AIM-9L's (no AIM-9M's)

NOTE:

B-52's bombing behaviour in operation Catch Me If You Can has been modified. Works better now. The message confirming destroying the SA-2's radar site - Fixed.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey everyone. I'm gonna drop probably an unpopular opinion for the red guys. I've been jumpin between blue and red a bit over the last few months. Imo, I think the R60 is an advantage the MiG-21 has over the F-5 that it just can't compete with, not to mention the ability to carry 4+. When I am in the server, I consistently see MiG-21's in the top 3 or 4 on the scoreboard. Not to take anything away from their skill, but I do believe that the R60 presents an unfair advantage and the scoreboard shows the result. I've made shots with an R60 that have followed a Sabre around a hard 90° turn, a turn that would have dropped an Aim-9P before half that turn was made.

Now I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, I tend to not get on forums all that often. But if I had to guess, I'd bet it probably has. I'd bet it has to do with the maneuverability between the two birds. If this server is going toward a more unbalanced setup, I'll drop the matter. If the goal is to have a more relatively level playing field, I believe the R13M1 should replace the R60 as the primary missile. This is just my two cents.

10 hours ago, Davey said:

Hey everyone. I'm gonna drop probably an unpopular opinion for the red guys. I've been jumpin between blue and red a bit over the last few months. Imo, I think the R60 is an advantage the MiG-21 has over the F-5 that it just can't compete with, not to mention the ability to carry 4+. When I am in the server, I consistently see MiG-21's in the top 3 or 4 on the scoreboard. Not to take anything away from their skill, but I do believe that the R60 presents an unfair advantage and the scoreboard shows the result. I've made shots with an R60 that have followed a Sabre around a hard 90° turn, a turn that would have dropped an Aim-9P before half that turn was made.

Now I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, I tend to not get on forums all that often. But if I had to guess, I'd bet it probably has. I'd bet it has to do with the maneuverability between the two birds. If this server is going toward a more unbalanced setup, I'll drop the matter. If the goal is to have a more relatively level playing field, I believe the R13M1 should replace the R60 as the primary missile. This is just my two cents.

Weapons have always been discussed here and probably elsewhere regarding any server. The thing is, none of us knows really how these aircraft nor their weapons perform in real life. Even real pilots might not know all about them either. Why? Because real pilots don't engage in dogfights and BVR's every night! Most of them never seen any aerial combats. We'd have to dig out some old school pilots of the MiG-21 vs F-5/F-4 era and ask them about it, I guess. The point I'm making is that it will always be difficult and imprecise to take what's out there in real life and put it in our missions saying this is pure realism, especially when we have no idea how accurate the modelling of those weapons is. Maybe the R-60 is not accurately modeled and rather overpowered? Could be. Or is it the AIM-9P performing worse than in real life? That's another could-be scenario. Who knows.

This is a simulator we want to have fun playing. Therefore, it comes down to including and excluding weapons, assets, etc. to make it playable and enjoyable while maintaining some sort of "realism". Good luck trying to figure out the best configurations for that. I try my best knowing I will never achieve perfection and please you all. But I could reduce the number of R-60's a bit so when they're depleted MiG-21 pilots are forced to use the R3S or R-13MA missiles.

... and this might start a mutiny among MiG-21 pilots rallying against me 😛

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 2/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Are you telling me there are people who fly them?! Wouldn't have thought.

Sorry, mate, the number remains the same. It's post WWll and the WWll planes are therefore in small numbers flying their last sorties so to speak.

I mean yeah, quite effective at tank busting. I even managed to kill MiG 15. Too bad I had way too many instances where friendly tried to kill me...  FFS people, can you have a curtesy to check scoreboard for 5 s to see what planes are in the air?

1 hour ago, The_Tau said:

I mean yeah, quite effective at tank busting. I even managed to kill MiG 15. Too bad I had way too many instances where friendly tried to kill me...  FFS people, can you have a curtesy to check scoreboard for 5 s to see what planes are in the air?

Happens to me all the time while flying the L-39. For whatever reason MiG pilots tell me it looks like an A-10. "Didn't mean to", "my bad!", "mistook you for an A-10!", etc. I'd love to see an L-39 myself one time while flying something else. Can't really think of it looking like an A-10 😉

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Happens to me all the time while flying the L-39. For whatever reason MiG pilots tell me it looks like an A-10. "Didn't mean to", "my bad!", "mistook you for an A-10!", etc. I'd love to see an L-39 myself one time while flying something else. Can't really think of it looking like an A-10 😉

When I get the growling tone - everything looks like a target 🤩

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

9 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Weapons have always been discussed here and probably elsewhere regarding any server. The thing is, none of us knows really how these aircraft nor their weapons perform in real life. Even real pilots might not know all about them either. Why? Because real pilots don't engage in dogfights and BVR's every night! Most of them never seen any aerial combats. We'd have to dig out some old school pilots of the MiG-21 vs F-5/F-4 era and ask them about it, I guess. The point I'm making is that it will always be difficult and imprecise to take what's out there in real life and put it in our missions saying this is pure realism, especially when we have no idea how accurate the modelling of those weapons is. Maybe the R-60 is not accurately modeled and rather overpowered? Could be. Or is it the AIM-9P performing worse than in real life? That's another could-be scenario. Who knows.

This is a simulator we want to have fun playing. Therefore, it comes down to including and excluding weapons, assets, etc. to make it playable and enjoyable while maintaining some sort of "realism". Good luck trying to figure out the best configurations for that. I try my best knowing I will never achieve perfection and please you all. But I could reduce the number of R-60's a bit so when they're depleted MiG-21 pilots are forced to use the R3S or R-13MA missiles.

... and this might start a mutiny among MiG-21 pilots rallying against me 😛

Please don't misunderstand, I'm only talking about making it a more even playing field, not realism. I wanted to share my opinion that I think because of the missiles currently available (just referring to the R60s) that it's a lot more difficult to be an F-5 pilot fighting against Fishbeds, than vice versa.

11 hours ago, Davey said:

Please don't misunderstand, I'm only talking about making it a more even playing field, not realism. I wanted to share my opinion that I think because of the missiles currently available (just referring to the R60s) that it's a lot more difficult to be an F-5 pilot fighting against Fishbeds, than vice versa.

I didn't misunderstand you, no worries. I simply enhanced the subject to address a frequent issue connected to your matter. I'll reduce the number of R-60's as mentioned above. And don't worry about the F-5 in a dogfight. If flown well she'll always outturn the Fishbed.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

Very nice, and very informative on how tracking mode works, thx 😄

If you need help with that, I have another video describing how it works. Can link it here, if you want.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

8 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

All from last nights Homs session.... Stop hovering in front of the enemy and don't fly in straight lines.

Well, they'd never hover in front of the enemy if they knew he was there. Very tough to check out every tree and house within 5 km just to be sure you're safe. Besides, you can't do much in a helicopter if you're that close. You could dodge IR missiles but AAA's and tanks are just tough to deal with when you're that close even if you knew where they are.

The other Ka-50 pilot was defending well and popping flares. Then AAA got him and you finished him. Pretty much confirms what I just wrote above. Probably one of the reasons why the Russians cancelled the Ka-50 in favour of the two-seat attack/recon helicopter, Ka-52. One pilot flies and focuses only on that while the other tries to give you trouble 😉

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

3 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Well, they'd never hover in front of the enemy if they knew he was there. Very tough to check out every tree and house within 5 km just to be sure you're safe. Besides, you can't do much in a helicopter if you're that close. You could dodge IR missiles but AAA's and tanks are just tough to deal with when you're that close even if you knew where they are.

The other Ka-50 pilot was defending well and popping flares. Then AAA got him and you finished him. Pretty much confirms what I just wrote above. Probably one of the reasons why the Russians cancelled the Ka-50 in favour of the two-seat attack/recon helicopter, Ka-52. One pilot flies and focuses only on that while the other tries to give you trouble 😉

Really ?

Red does not have a briefing map, which shows there are tens of units on the other side of the town ? You are entering a contested, combat zone, which people are fighting over for and the reasonable thing to do is to rush forward and stay in a hover, within an extremely close distance from where the enemy is known to be ? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Most people who fly DCS are lazy. There are reasons why helicopters are flown a certain way in combat. Go look at any of the Ka-50/52 footage on youtube, always running in attacks.

If you are going to hover, don't just sit there, against the open blue sky. Do pop-ups, shoot, take cover.... I drove 3nm, up to a Ka-50 and shot it with a Vulcan.... pulled up below him. He didn't move a single bit. Stayed there for minute, until I reached him.

You know the enemies are supposed to be in a certain area, you setup a scout/attack pattern and don't sit around to get shot at. That Ka-50 which popped flares, was almost in our "spawn" area and that wasn't AAA, that was the rest of the M1s in my platoon, which started shooting. All the people who I didn't kill, where the ones who were constantly on the move, unpredictable and defended immediately after receiving a laser warning.

Run in, scout, repeat until hostiles spotted, run in, attack, repeat until hostiles destroyed.

If you stop people from being able to sit in a hover for 10 minutes and kill everything on the map, they start complaining. Patience, planning, situational awareness ! 

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days