Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

2 hours ago, The_Tau said:

It would also help with gazelles as I think they were designed to be rearmed in the field next to truck with HOT missiles...

On side note, maybe we should start lobby ED to allow R60s on Su25s and MiG29s. Cold War is one of the more popular server in prime time and surely one of the most active on this forum. Maybe if each one of us leave simple "+1" in correct thread and maybe ED gods will notice 😉

You can add your voice here.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Just wanted to say that When the Mountains Cry is my all-time favorite mission and I'm very happy that it's back online and updated.

When the new volumetric clouds are finally implemented in the next few months, it'll be even better as players will be able to duck into and out of weather around the target areas around the mountains.

3 hours ago, Brown Floyd said:

When the new volumetric clouds are finally implemented in the next few months, it'll be even better as players will be able to duck into and out of weather around the target areas around the mountains.

True.

The mission will go online tomorrow around 1900-2000 zulu. Had to work yesterday and have to work today for quite some time hence the delay of launching the mission.

Sorry, folks.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

7 hours ago, rossmum said:

Nice to have our radars working as intended again, finally...

unknown.png

Are the 29s in When The Mountains Cry flying from Senaki, with the Su-25s?

I had that thought to be honest. But then I preferred seeing the MiG-29A's coming from the south rather than the north like the rest of Red planes. The only downer is that Batumi airbase is a bit too far.

On a side note, the lack of comms on the Red side yesterday (not sure about Blue) was immense. It was really hard to coordinate anything despite outnumbering Blue in the first 2 hours. Therefore, I ask you veterans and aces of the Cold War server to please urge newcomers to get on comms. And if they do let's be patient with them until they figure things out. The testing phase over the holidays brought some new pilots to the server so we'll need to guide them a bit.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps with that.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As long as it's a different airbase - mostly thinking of the missiles, to avoid another Shiraz situation. Batumi should work just fine, maybe people can ferry back and forth a bit - slows down the reinforcement rate, kind of like the long ferry flight on Battle for Sukhumi.

Edited by rossmum

Server News:

* Operation Hold The Line is tough for restricting aircraft in numbers for Red. Jiroft airbase has 3 slots only! Makes it almost impossible to do so even with scripting.

* Operation Search & Destroy is offline.

* Operation Prince of Persia is back online with quite some changes:

- The briefing was rewritten in greater detail.

- New and better briefing images.

- All aircraft (helicopters included) and weapons are limited!

- Each coalition has now 2 x FARP's instead of one.

- The second FARP has ONLY 2 x Mi-8's/UH-1's at mission's start.

- Ka-50's, SA342M's, Mi-8's and UH-1's can all transfer to their second FARP to save time and distance.

- Helicopters kept at the second FARP will be saved there and wont count as a loss.

- CTLD (crates transport) operations available for Mi-8's and UH-1's at the main and secondary FARP's. Same crates; no difference.

- Instead of 12 hours run time it's now 8 only.

- When an airbase is captured tanks and AA's spawn. Cmdr and JTAC operators have access to each and every vehicle individually.

- Tanks can't be deployed any more! Deal with the tanks at hand and use them sensibly.

- Instead, BMP-2's/Bradley's and other units can be deployed.

- Instead of 4 x JTAC units, 1 at a time per coalition.

- I might add the MiG-29A and the F-14A in time. Let's adapt to these new changes first.

briefing image.png

important notes RED.png

important notes BLUE.png

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1. Regarding two towns. Using ww2 tanks is kinda problematic regarding speed. 38kph isnt in my opinion enough to reach bullseye while fighting. At least if you start advancing mid playtime.

2. "Operation Sukhumi- The Beginning"  why not add RS-2US for MiG-21s? They predate R55.

Also a discord server would be nice, by someone at least. 

Overall very fun server to fly on. 👍

2 hours ago, Apok said:

1. Regarding two towns. Using ww2 tanks is kinda problematic regarding speed. 38kph isnt in my opinion enough to reach bullseye while fighting. At least if you start advancing mid playtime.

2. "Operation Sukhumi- The Beginning"  why not add RS-2US for MiG-21s? They predate R55.

Also a discord server would be nice, by someone at least. 

Overall very fun server to fly on. 👍

1. It's T-55's vs M60's. Not exactly WWll tanks. Besides, BMP-2's vs Bradley's. And these two are very fast moving vehicles. Are you sure it's Two Towns you're talking about?

2. The idea was to use an older MiG-21 version. I believe the early versions (say mid-late 50's) didn't have a radar like the Bison? I might be wrong though so if you know better let me know, please.

Discord would result in giving up on SRS once and for all. Can't do that. Players do whatever they want though and that's their thing.

See you airborne!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

27 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

2. The idea was to use an older MiG-21 version. I believe the early versions (say mid-late 50's) didn't have a radar like the Bison? I might be wrong though so if you know better let me know, please.

Yes, early MiG-21s didnt had radar at all, they were pure day interceptors. Same with MiG-21s in earlier stages of war in Vietnam.

BTW

at new Prince of Persia.

Idk if its intended but those two helios on forward FARP don't have CTDL option in 'other' in radio, so they can't spawn crates. I noticed that with UH1s on Blue side. I had to fly in from main FARP to make use of Forward base crates.

Edited by The_Tau

1 hour ago, The_Tau said:

BTW

at new Prince of Persia.

Idk if its intended but those two helios on forward FARP don't have CTDL option in 'other' in radio, so they can't spawn crates. I noticed that with UH1s on Blue side. I had to fly in from main FARP to make use of Forward base crates.

No, it's not intended so thanks for reporting it. It works for the Mi-8's for sure -> Fixed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

4 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

1. It's T-55's vs M60's. Not exactly WWll tanks. Besides, BMP-2's vs Bradley's. And these two are very fast moving vehicles. Are you sure it's Two Towns you're talking about?

1. Eh dont remember the name of the map. My bad. Played it yesterday. Red had ww2 german tanks and blue shermans. Took me ages rushing the  bullseye target at Guaduta. Finally server changed mission and I was 10km from target. If its 50s then I guess its ok.

2. R55 is a IR ipgrade of beam riding R2-US. 55 Wasnt around in late 50s. It wouldnt give an edge to Redfor anyway. Just adding more options for fights. R2 was intented for MiG19PF and 17 initially. If going history accurate then  first variant MiG-21F-13 used K13 missile hence the variant name. But your right it had no radar just radar range finder I think. "Bison" you mentioned is 90s modern indian upgrade of bis with  R77/73.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Apok said:

1. Eh dont remember the name of the map. My bad. Played it yesterday. Red had ww2 german tanks and blue shermans. Took me ages rushing the  bullseye target at Guaduta. Finally server changed mission and I was 10km from target. If its 50s then I guess its ok.

2. R55 is a IR ipgrade of beam riding R2-US. 55 Wasnt around in late 50s. It wouldnt give an edge to Redfor anyway. Just adding more options for fights. R2 was intented for MiG19PF and 17 initially. If going history accurate then  first variant MiG-21F-13 used K13 missile hence the variant name. But your right it had no radar just radar range finder I think. "Bison" you mentioned is 90s modern indian upgrade of bis with  R77/73.

Cheers

1. Operation Sukhumi - The Beginning is what you're talking about. Yeah, it's early 50's, hence the old tanks. No soviet WWll tanks available so German ones instead, although it really feels weird. T-55's would be too much for the Shermans and M60's can't be driven by players. Go solve the riddle ;)

That being said and in response to your second point as well making things accurate is really tough and quite often impossible because we lack the exact variants, ground units and weapons for the most part. All the missions I have are based on my imagination alone. No historical background in any mission, otherwise I'd be doing a lot of injustice to many historical battles.

The German tanks do feel wrong in that mission now that we're talking about it again. Darn it!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Apok said:

Maybe T55 vs Leo1? Just make it 3:2 or 4:3 ratio? Or T55 on both sides(Finland had it)?

Maybe you're not quite familiar with the server and that's alright. One thing about this server that has always been and always will be is NOT having the same units (be it aerial, ground, naval, etc.) on both sides. That'd only cause a lot of confusion when it comes to IFF as pointed out by The_Tau. Structures are the only exception because they look the same for both coalitions but that shouldn't be a problem. You only need to know where you're attacking according to the briefing and the waypoints if the aircraft you're flying affords it. Another exception is the enclosed AAA unit. And that's really the only ground unit found on both sides (because Blue doesn't have the counterpart). Again, it's not a problem because this unit is stationary and only included in the two missions featuring the early stages of the Cold War; operation Sukhumi - The Beginning and operation Mountain Peaks. In addition, the enclosed AAA's are ONLY at the airfields to protect them from enemy aircraft and in Mountain Peaks they're protecting the communication towers. Surely, it's obvious when attacking Guduata and Sukhumi airbases that the AAA's there are hostile. The same applies to the AAA's protecting the towers.

There was a suggestion regarding the Leopard. Feels the same with the German WWll tank to me. We're really limited here.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@The_Tau 

You cant really make same equipment on both sides, how to IFF from air then?

Reminds me of a joke from a local play:

"How will we differentiate each other in heat of the battle?"

"By heroism!"

Sadly cant select diff seasonal camos in editor like with planes.

Edited by Apok

1 hour ago, Apok said:

@The_Tau 

Reminds me of a joke from a local play:

"How will we differentiate each other in heat of the battle?"

"By heroism!"

Sadly cant select diff seasonal camos in editor like with planes.

Actually u can in some cases. There are A LOT of Greek camos for some reason. For example for Leo 1 and even Tor system

4 hours ago, The_Tau said:

Actually u can in some cases. There are A LOT of Greek camos for some reason. For example for Leo 1 and even Tor system

Good luck seeing that in your TV camera, be it Shkval, FLIR or the like 😉

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

Hey Alpenwolf not seeing you on comms so much, losing the drive to come on and fly.

A bit busy at work, mate. I'll have more time during the upcoming days though. See you on TS 👍

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

7 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

Screen_210125_004303.png

Don't know what weather settings were on the Fight Island mission last night, but there was a blue moon, which also looked like the Death Star

Nice catch! Actually it's sunny with no clouds. Dust enabled.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

OFFLINE for an hour.

EDIT:

Server's back up.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments