Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

S&D is the only problematic mission due to lack of airbases in that part of the map. All-aspect is not a possibility, I'm afraid. I might remove the AIM-9L's then. I'll take a look at the mission.

Nice videos there, gents :thumbup:

That would cause another problem as they will play it safe and more passively(atleast for me).

I say give them F only

@Alpenwolf

Looks like you had a great time today in "Behind enemy lines".

Since the Su-25T and the KA-50 have proven once again to be invulnerable to Stinger (I noticed twice that you can't get a tone on a Ka-50) and you put 5 Sa-15 into the mission (where one shot down the only F-5E available trying to cover our Leclercs against you) plus an SA-6 to cover Minakh, can Blue now have Roland to at least stand a little chance against the Su-25T/Ka-50 combo (since Red has the Sa-15 radar / radio command guided SAM system)? And can Hatay also get a HAWK and a Roland just as Minakh has the SA-6/SA-15?

"once again"?! You must mean for the first time, right?

Ka-50's are always shut down by Avengers/Linebackers. AI controlled gets the tone always but not human controlled against any helicopter so leave it to the AI.

I was mostly flying and attacking from altitudes between 2000 and 5000 meters. And I flared quite generously on every approach. That's why your Linebackers couldn't get me. Range, notching and flares. And that's how it should be done but it rarely is.

UH-1's travel 29 km to get to Hatay with whatever crates they have on board, while Mi-8's cover a distance of 66 km to get to Minakh. That's 58 km vs 132 km for one whole flight!

Hatay has 4 x Linebackers. Minakh has 2 x Strelas. And for the Xth time (I lost count) Minakh is cut off due north while Hatay is where all fighters meet. So Red strikers/helicopters are always exposed to Blue fighters east of Hatay while the Su-25's only actual cover are the Tor and the KUB site at Minakh. And for the Yth time they're quite often destroyed by Leclerc tanks coming from the west/southwest (now that's a tip) long before T-55's have them in range. Not that T-55's are such a great threat, because despite the Ka-50 and me in the Su-25T being very effective we only had 2 x T-55's left! You still don't see how way easier it is for Blue to take Minakh unlike Red taking Hatay. And it was only possible because I had not 1 x F-5 or Viggen coming my way, although Blue were outnumbering Red by 2:1 when I joined the server and Leclerc tanks were already at Minakh. Only 1 x F-5 tried to get to me but he flew over a Tor west of Aleppo (coming from Hatay as tacview shows and flanked south rather than north and away from Red airbases and their defences). Bad approach and that's on him. I got 16 kills with my 16 Vikhr's (11 at Minakh and later 5 at Hatay after we gained air superiority - which wasn't hard because Blue players were leaving after being shot down by MiG's). And that was only possible (unlike all the other times in all missions) because I faced No aerial threats. Still, other Su-25 pilots were shot down by Linebackers if you remember. And that too is on them, just like the F-5 trying to get to me.

We had 2 x cmdr operators (1 being no less than 104th_Tiger), a good Ka-50 pilot and me in the Su-25T who, AGAIN, had no aerial threats to worry about, ALTHOUGH the KUB site was long destroyed and the Tor running south/southwest before it also got destroyed later on. And again, only 2 x T-55's survived despite all that dominance we had as you would probably say, so imagine if you guys tried to get to me just one more time and actually stop me from destroying all those tanks at Minakh. Which also shows us that 16 x T-55's are nothing against 16 X Leclerc tanks as I posted that a while ago. The surviving T-55's were hiding well, that's all.

Blue has normally 2-3 x dedicated cmdr operators and they're very good at it. You were alone but had good SA342M pilots destroying T-80's and T55's at Hatay. Only 3-4 Red tanks survived. The Gazelles were landing at Hatay, rearming and getting back at it. And it's only a flight of several kilometers.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I didn't want to discuss this all over again, I was merely asking why red now has 5 SA-15 available AND an SA-6 at mission start at Minakh airbase, while blue doesn't get any radar SAMs at all. But since you are repeating all your old arguments again and some other users don't seem to understand the imbalance here, I take this as an invitation to come up with my points as well:

It's quite difficult to stop an Su-25T if it is covered by SA-6, SA-13 and SA-15 when we didn't have the numbers at all at that point, nor any SEAD assets in general (we're talking ARM here, not bombs on a SAM site!).

Su-25T has an abundance of flares AND an IR jammer (not sure about the Ka-50, does it have one?) No blue asset has that. It is a fact that Su-25T are almost impossible to be shot down by Stingers if the pilot uses the stuff he has at his hands. Check Tacview and count how many Stingers fly by at each attack run. (Only last week I shot Alpenwolf down once when he flew right over my Avenger, didn't flare agressively enough and his jammer was blocked from the missile seeker. Only then can you hope to shoot down the Su-25T.)

The Gazelle has to enter SA-13 and T-80 engagement range to attack with HOT. Ka-50 outranges all available blue AD (except for the HAWK which we don't have at Hatay). A Ka-50 is also much easier to control single-pilot than a Gazelle due to automation. Try auto-hover in the Gazelle, then in the Ka-50 and you know what I mean.

Attacking is more dangerous than defending, because you have to move your tanks out of cover for the attack. It so happens that tanks can be caught in the open, while defenders can hide behind cover and let the enemy come to them. If my tanks are currently in the process of overrunning Minakh airbase, it's obvious they are not able to hide somewhere when an Su-25T approaches the scene at that moment. Do me a favour LoneS and show me how it's done if you win all the time. You take the Leclercs against 104th_Tiger defending (who really knows his stuff) and against Alpenwolf in his Su-25T and a Ka-50 (all covered by SA-6/SA-13/SA-15). I'm willing to learn some tactical advice from you.

Alpenwolf, I'm not so sure about your numbers. In Tacview I saw Hatay defended by 12 Challenger, 2 Linebacker, 4 Vulcan. Red attacks with 13 T-80, 8 T-55, 4 SA-13, 4 ZSU-23. Here it's 21 vs 12 MBTs (and 2 more SAMs for red), at Minakh 16 vs 16 MBTs (and significantly more AD for red). Yes, yes, I know, in an open field battle the Leclerc is better than the T-55, but what about T-55 fighting in urban areas (little town northeast of Minakh) where the advantage is taken away? But that's not my main concern, the tank numbers are more or less ok and acceptable. It's the red air defences and the air assets I'm worried about (just to make sure, in case this still wasn't clear to someone). Heck, red even has ammo trucks at Minakh to reload their air defenses, blue of course doesn't have any at Hatay.

I don't see Minakh "cut off" from the scene. Su-25T have a fairly short way, and there's no point in saying a MiG-21 can't fly there to cover them. If you really have this great coordination, what stops you from sending a MiG there?

Also for the umptieth' time, it's far easier for Mi-8 to put up air defenses than it is for Hueys (2 crates vs. 4 crates). So imagine the effort it takes for blue to put up a HAWK site to cover Hatay, while red gets an SA-6 and several SA-15 from the start at Minakh. There is one SA-15 right at the base, and red ground commanders also moved another SA-15 from the south to Minakh.

So it remains a fact that red has more advanced weapons available in this mission, and it has more in numbers. All in all, I'm going to take it as a compliment for blue players that red needs to resort to such an imbalance in forces in order to stand a chance. Thank you, I appreciate that :thumbup: See you at the next round.

Blue does not need radar SAMs over Hatay. It owns the airbase. It has enough Linebackers to protect the immediate area of the airfield from treetop height all the way up to about 10,000 feet. It only takes a handful of semi-competent F-5 pilots basing from there to put up such an intense barrier to red helicopters and strike aircraft that the only way they can get in, is to send a big fighter sweep beforehand and hope it buys them five minutes of uninterrupted killing time while the F-5s fly back out from Incirlik instead. The only way blue can lose Hatay is to either be severely undermanned versus red (which is uncommon, and apparently the opposite was true in this most recent run of the mission) or to be so grossly incompetent as to be losing fighters over Hatay faster than they can replenish them from Incirlik.

The entire mission is much easier for blue to win or at least draw out, than it is for red. This has been abundantly clear every time I have played it (both as a blue UH-1/F-5 and as a red MiG-21/Mi-8/Su-25T). You are also making some pretty serious leaps to claim Su-25Ts cannot be stopped. I sure got stopped plenty last time I flew it, both by hidden Linebackers loitering around the fringes of Minakh, and by F-5s at Hatay.

Blue also has the A-10's Maverick which is a whole other mess of issues in itself, and has proven extremely effective at killing red air defence across various missions. It's a small mercy that this mission doesn't also include the Harrier, since they're even more effective at wiping out SAMs.

The last time I flew the Su-25T in the mission, the only reason I was able to stop blue capturing and holding Hatay was because whoever was doing their CA side of things kept moving tanks in literally one at a time, probably manually driving them. This meant all I had to do (after dying to Linebackers about three or four times and finally declaring the area the attack starts from to be off-limits because of the risk of another Stinger hit) was orbit around the airfield and look for dust plumes, then kill any I saw. On a few occasions, Leclercs were moved into the trees and I could not damage them no matter what I tried. I had to wait for them to leave cover before I could hit them, even if I knew exactly where they were, because the trees on the Syria map have such enormous and impermeable collision models that they act as a shield to anything below their canopies. It should be needless to say that by this point we had well and truly lost all our T-55s. The only units we had on the base were a handful of Shilkas because someone had flown one in to recapture it. If all of the Leclercs had moved in at once, or at least a couple from different directions simultaneously, several would surely have got through and captured the airbase, at which point the task of finding the offending unit becomes a lot harder.

The A-10A does not have DIRCM (as far as I know) but it absolutely does have an abundance of flares. DIRCM is nice to have but it won't save you. I still got either damaged too badly to continue fighting, or outright shot down by Linebackers with my DIRCM on.

Red does have a fairly substantial amount of air defence over Minakh but they also have pretty poor ground forces there. If Ka-50s/Su-25Ts focus on supporting them and blocking blue's attack, they can hold Minakh but at the expense of having virtually no hope of ever capturing Hatay, unless the entirety of blue decides to switch away from fighters or they all end up disconnecting as soon as they feel like they're not going to have an easy win. The ease with which F-5s can base out of Hatay and lock down that entire valley, especially once red's Strelas are gone, is better than a thousand SAMs - believe me. SAMs miss and can take a while to reload. Even two or three F-5s rotating out of Hatay can absolutely stonewall red. Even if a Mi-8, or a couple of Mi-8s, get through, it's unlikely they'll be able to deploy units close enough to then kill the Challengers and capture the base without those units being spotted and killed.

MiGs have a harder time basing out of Minakh, because a) Avengers and Linebackers don't spike you before firing like AI Strelas do, and even if they did your RWR won't tell you what's coming or where from, and b) the MiG's heat signature is so enormous that even flares are of limited use, compared to the F-5 which can get away from IR SAMs with relative ease as long as it knows they're coming. What's more, the F-5's combination of good RWR and excellent forwards visibility make it a bit more able to perform its own limited IR SAM SEAD while also patrolling the valley around Hatay, something I found out by experience. It can also locate and kill EWRs easily, something only the Su-25T can really do on red.

As for the last bit... If we're going to start slinging more of this passive-aggressive "red vs blue" nonsense, hats off to blue for ensuring I won't be flying for them to balance the teams next time red is stacked. It really does say a lot to join the server and find yourself alone against 2 F-14s and a further pair of F-5s, and no effort be made to remedy the imbalance even after I switched to sling loading and the Tomcats suddenly had no fighters to kill. After getting on blue numerous times where I've been planning to fly the MiG-19 or 21, just to balance the teams, it really does make a hell of an impression.

Blue does not need radar SAMs over Hatay. It owns the airbase. It has enough Linebackers to protect the immediate area of the airfield from treetop height all the way up to about 10,000 feet. It only takes a handful of semi-competent F-5 pilots basing from there to put up such an intense barrier to red helicopters and strike aircraft that the only way they can get in, is to send a big fighter sweep beforehand and hope it buys them five minutes of uninterrupted killing time while the F-5s fly back out from Incirlik instead. The only way blue can lose Hatay is to either be severely undermanned versus red (which is uncommon, and apparently the opposite was true in this most recent run of the mission) or to be so grossly incompetent as to be losing fighters over Hatay faster than they can replenish them from Incirlik.

True, but what stops Red from doing the same at Minakh? When I last flew the mission for Red in the Su-25T, I saw a few MiGs land there and so did I with my Su-25 as well. Sure, the runway is scarily short, but I saw it being done anyway.

You are also making some pretty serious leaps to claim Su-25Ts cannot be stopped. I sure got stopped plenty last time I flew it, both by hidden Linebackers loitering around the fringes of Minakh, and by F-5s at Hatay.

(...)

The A-10A does not have DIRCM (as far as I know) but it absolutely does have an abundance of flares. DIRCM is nice to have but it won't save you. I still got either damaged too badly to continue fighting, or outright shot down by Linebackers with my DIRCM on.

No, A10A doesn't have DIRCM, and I'm not saying it always saves you, is the only means of effective defense against IR SAMs or makes you absolutely invulnerable to Stingers, but it surely helps a lot to have it in combination with a lot of flares. I wasn't trying to say Su-25T are absolutely invulnerable to Stingers - I also said I once managed to shoot down Alpenwolf himself in a -T with a Stinger - but the probability is very low if the -T driver knows how to use his aircraft and systems. Alpenwolf himself is a good example for this, or his mate Gunner who harrassed my tanks two times now in "Behind enemy lines". I feel I know what I'm talking about, been there, done that. Check the Tacview files and you know what I mean.

As for the last bit... If we're going to start slinging more of this passive-aggressive "red vs blue" nonsense, hats off to blue for ensuring I won't be flying for them to balance the teams next time red is stacked.

Sorry if my last remark made you feel this way, it wasn't intended to, just an attempt of making a funny remark about this weird discussion where all my points seem to fall on deaf ears.

I don't know what else to say - maybe one day we can have a similar mission where Blue has to hold a "cut-off" airbase and then gets M60 tanks, HAWK, Roland and Avenger to defend it, plus ammo trucks to rearm, while Red gets none of that. Plus the Harrier as an attack aircraft comparable to the Su-25T in capabilities, taking off from a separate and closer base to that mission goal. And while Red only gets the Hind (comparable to Gazelle in regards of ATGM), Blue will have an Apache that is comparable to the Ka-50. This would be a similar scenario to what we have now.

It really does say a lot to join the server and find yourself alone against 2 F-14s and a further pair of F-5s, and no effort be made to remedy the imbalance even after I switched to sling loading and the Tomcats suddenly had no fighters to kill.

This sounds as if this was just a thing with blue pilots, which is simply not true. I've had many missions on the server where Red had much more players and none of them seemed to mind. Or the many occasions when I was flying alone in a helicopter and the first red pilot to come on the server jumps into a MiG, keen on shooting me down. Don't go down that road, it takes us nowhere.

is it possible to fix automatic jtac auto lase code? By default it asks for like 1112 and on F5 or F14 u cant go lower than 1511.

According to Ciribob it's like that by default and can't be changed unless I rewrite some lines. I'll have to delay doing this for now (other things come first on my to-do list) and especially because I don't want to change such things quickly to end up having the whole script malfunction for whatever reason.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

@ LoneS Your posts are not supposed to be trolling? With all those personal attacks and all those false claims on what I said, that's a funny statement. You just show your posts are not worth thinking about...

Enjoy the mission, you obviously need it this way. Alpenwolf once wrote "Isn't it more challenging to try a figure out a way to beat your enemy despite having the disadvantage in regard to a specific role your coalition is unable to fulfill?" That's definitely not meant for you, it's only directed at my requests. :smilewink:

Current mission being hosted 'Search and Destroy' has the no weapons bug for blue airbase due to many automatic mission rotations, just a heads up.

Fixed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

As mentioned in one of the latest Server News posts, all Syria missions (Kiryat Shmona, Behind Enemy Lines and Street Fight) were updated, especially the briefings were rewritten in greater detail and some briefing images were added.

All currently online Caucasus missions (Catch Me If You Can, Five Points Unleashed, Open Range and Two Towns) were just updated. The briefings were also rewritten in greater detail and some missions have now additional briefing images.

- The work continues with Persian Gulf missions that are currently online. Will take some days as the above.

- Once that's done, work on the new mission will be resumed (final stages - almost ready).

- New tournaments coming up.

- The Helicopters Tournament - Round 12 will be announced soon.

* Operation Two Towns:

- Seems to be running flawlessly so far, especially after replacing FARP units on both sides.

- Blue artillery firing at the hillside - fixed.

- Added 2 X AV-8B for Blue at Tbilisi-Lochini airbase. That's 2 x slots for a total of 8 Harriers.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

One question, is the use of F10 Map markpoints  for loading a cartridge in the Viggen somehow disabled on this server?

Because , while I can place the respective markpoints on the F10 Map, they don't seem to be associated to my aircraft and therefore

are not available for selection as a custom data catridge.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

2 hours ago, Snappy said:

One question, is the use of F10 Map markpoints  for loading a cartridge in the Viggen somehow disabled on this server?

Because , while I can place the respective markpoints on the F10 Map, they don't seem to be associated to my aircraft and therefore

are not available for selection as a custom data catridge.

It should work, I use the F10 waypoints on the server 100% of the time. I haven't been playing DCS for about 2 weeks though so maybe some update fucked it up ?

On 11/26/2020 at 8:10 PM, The_Tau said:

is it possible to fix automatic jtac auto lase code? By default it asks for like 1112 and on F5 or F14 u cant go lower than 1511.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:26 PM, Alpenwolf said:

According to Ciribob it's like that by default and can't be changed unless I rewrite some lines. I'll have to delay doing this for now (other things come first on my to-do list) and especially because I don't want to change such things quickly to end up having the whole script malfunction for whatever reason.

It might be possible to adjust this. I remember that my mates dropped LGBs from F-5s on targets lased by a CTLD JTAC I deployed with the Huey on another server a few months ago, but I don't remember the laser code used.

12 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

It might be possible to adjust this. I remember that my mates dropped LGBs from F-5s on targets lased by a CTLD JTAC I deployed with the Huey on another server a few months ago, but I don't remember the laser code used.

According to Ciribob the laser code is different every time a JTAC unit is deployed. It is assigned randomly. Which means it works most of the time but not when it goes below 1511.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Fight Island:

- The briefing was rewritten in greater detail and new briefing images were added.

- All aircraft (helicopters included) are limited in numbers.

- To achieve that, 2 x F-5 slots were added to Tunb Kochak Island and 2 x F-5 slots to Khasab airbase (A-10's home base).

- Bandar Lengeh airbase remains as the main airbase for F-5's with 4 x slots available. A total of 72 x F-5's are available at the three aforementioned airbases.

- To counter that, 72 x MiG-21's operate from Bandar Abbas Intl.

- Red helicopters operate from Havadarya airbase.

- Blue helicopters operate from a FARP on the far western end of Qeshm island next to Blue attacking ground forces (24 miles away from Qeshm airbase - bullseye).

- Mi-8's and UH-1's can no longer deploy tanks! BMP-2's and Bradley's only as fighting vehicles with a variety of anti-air units.

- Unpacking crates is only possible at distances of at least 7,5 km (ca. 5 miles) away from the airbase/FARP.

- This should prevent helicopters from spamming air defences next to their home base.

- Instead of 5 hours mission's duration, it's now 4 only.

ZrQlm8t.png

zNImHXJ.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 12/1/2020 at 2:56 AM, ConkersBFD said:

It should work, I use the F10 waypoints on the server 100% of the time. I haven't been playing DCS for about 2 weeks though so maybe some update fucked it up ?

Well its not working for me on the caucasus mission map.I can place the markpoints on the F10 map , but the kneeboard pages show no cartridge with user generated waypoints.

regards,

Snappy 

16 hours ago, ogaruu said:

Hey Alpenwolf, could you please enable the NS430 on all your missions? Sometimes it appears and other times it doesn't. It's very flaky. Thank you.

The NS430 is disabled on purpose. If it's there it's only because I forgot to remove it from some missions which I will do.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments