Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Just had my first experience in the Syria map in the new mission Kiryat Shmona with 35+ players on the server. What a blast driving the T-55's and T-72's on such an incredible terrain! I mean, how am I ever going back to any other map! All the missions I have feel suddenly rubbish. Amazing work there in the Syria map.

Alright, I'm exaggerating maybe. The Persian Gulf map is still an incredible one. It's mostly desert which is why it doesn't always shine as the Syria map, I guess. Still love it though.

NOTE:

I know that some players don't have the map yet or can't afford it or simply don't want it, etc. No worries, guys. Missions on other maps will not be forgotten, but the first nights are probably going to be Syria only, except for this Saturday and only for about 2 hours or so when the Combined Arms Tournament 4 goes online.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Question: Since we don't have many blue for planes that fit the Syria map in Cold war, can the A-4 be allowed only for the Syria map? It's perhaps the one plane that will fit right in

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Question: Since we don't have many blue for planes that fit the Syria map in Cold war, can the A-4 be allowed only for the Syria map? It's perhaps the one plane that will fit right in

The A-4 is a mod, which means absolutely every client that wants to connect to the server that runs it, must have it installed. This creates problems. Not everyone is willing to mod their game, mods are generally (even more) unstable when compared to official modules, and have less developed systems/flight models, as well as a myriad of other issues.

That said, the A-4 is a plane that fits the era exceptionally well. I think it would be very cool if it had a place on the server, maybe in one or 2 short missions ( 2 or 3 hours) to not hold players without the A-4 back from joining for too long

In the end, it's up to Alpen, but considering we havent seen a mission with the skyhawk yet, i doubt we'll get one

TL;DR Unfortunately probably not

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

The A-4 is a mod, which means absolutely every client that wants to connect to the server that runs it, must have it installed. This creates problems. Not everyone is willing to mod their game, mods are generally (even more) unstable when compared to official modules, and have less developed systems/flight models, as well as a myriad of other issues.

That said, the A-4 is a plane that fits the era exceptionally well. I think it would be very cool if it had a place on the server, maybe in one or 2 short missions ( 2 or 3 hours) to not hold players without the A-4 back from joining for too long

In the end, it's up to Alpen, but considering we havent seen a mission with the skyhawk yet, i doubt we'll get one

TL;DR Unfortunately probably not

The one way this can be rectified is if the A-4 is added into the game as a default AI. That way those that want to download and fly it can do so and those that don't want to download it can also join and play. If you add the A-4 correctly it won't compromise your integrity check so that's also a plus

I did talk to CHizh (or Nineline) can't remember about this and they said they'll gladly add the A-4E into the game as an AI but they'll have to get word and work with the dev team that made it. So here's hoping it happens!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

In mission Open Range, tomcats only get 6* AIM-7F for ALL air to air missiles, where as the MiG-29's get 12* R-27R.

It gives the tomcats one flight with full A/A loadout, and 6 flights with full A/A loadout for MiG-29

With only 2 sparrows each flight, it's 3 flights for the tomcats and 6 for the MiG-29's

Can we get this fixed up please?

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

I haven't played DCS in over a year due to circumstances, but my go to server was always Alpen's. Reading up on this thread has me so stoked to load back in and fly again, especially this new Syria map.

I really want to thank Alpen for all his dedication, but also to the pilots that comment and help with suggestions to the server. I can't wait to get back in the sky and fly the cold war again.

Man, I've never hated disappointing someone as much as I keep on disappointing you, buddy. I know how much you love the A-4 and I know that it really fits well into the Syria map. WITHOUT A DOUBT! I can only hope ED would one day adopt this mod and make a module out of it. Just for you, brother.

Again, I'm sorry to say no to it and ONLY because it's a mod.

You break my heart :cry:

In mission Open Range, tomcats only get 6* AIM-7F for ALL air to air missiles, where as the MiG-29's get 12* R-27R.

It gives the tomcats one flight with full A/A loadout, and 6 flights with full A/A loadout for MiG-29

With only 2 sparrows each flight, it's 3 flights for the tomcats and 6 for the MiG-29's

Can we get this fixed up please?

Darn it! Forgot about this issue again! Very busy at work these days so I end up hooked over my PC at night if at all.

Just fixed the issue. So it will be included next time.

Sorry for the trouble.

Note:

No more R-60's in the new mission Kiryat Shmona (Syria map).

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Similar issues again

In the mission "Battle over Sukhumi Unleashed", MiG-29's get 12 R-27R's, while tomcats get no fox-1 whatsoever. There's only a bunch of AIM-7E's, which the tomcat cannot equip, as it uses the HB_AIM-7 munition

Pls fix

Modules:

Maps and others:

Similar issues again

In the mission "Battle over Sukhumi Unleashed", MiG-29's get 12 R-27R's, while tomcats get no fox-1 whatsoever. There's only a bunch of AIM-7E's, which the tomcat cannot equip, as it uses the HB_AIM-7 munition

Pls fix

Fixed.

Note:

I don't own the F-14B. And when a user suggests to include the AIM-7E instead of the F to balance the odds a bit and provides some historical and DCS relevant data so I take their word for it. I trust they know what they're talking about. So I do it and find out that the F-14B can't equip the AIM-7E. I mean, for God's sake, guys! As if I had nothing else to tend to in the missions. So I end up fixing an issue that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place and waste time on it rather than going on with other things. But give us this, give us that. Do this, do that. Then do me a favour and make it a bit easier for me, if you so kindly please.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Thank you Alpen! Much appriciated :thumbup:

Modules:

Maps and others:

Server News:

Operation Kiryat Shmona (Syria map):

- 2 x Su-25T's were added. Note that they take off from a short runway on top of the hill (amazing experience!). So use the whole runway, especially at maximum weight.

- 2 X A-10A's were added.

- Ground units locations optimised.

- FARP's structures added and some were optimised.

- The Su-25T's can fire R-60M's (no R-73's). 16 x R-60M missiles are available so use them for self-defense purposes only.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hey alpen,

Can you make possible the deployment of MBT's on the new syria mission: Kiryat Shmona if it's possible, because like today, the mission is empty of all MBT after 3h of game without the possibilty to deploy more of them.

Thanks !

I don't know how they spawn or where they came from (this was my first go at the new mission), but the objective base is right now swarming with tanks from both sides at hour 5.

That's because at mission's start there were mainly Red players flying Su-25T's and Ka-50's facing little to no resistance. So they simply wiped out the Blue ground forces and pushed in their own to capture Kiryat Shmona airbase.

The mission will go online tonight again. Deploying tanks will hopefully be included. "Hopefully" because I need to find a way of allowing the unpacking of Merkavas.

A-10A's in place.

See you tonight!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Kiryat Shmona was amazing, literally never a dull moment! Once the Mi-24 (and hopefully shortly after that, AH-1 or AH-64) arrive, it'll shine even more.

Having to land on the smell of an oily rag to rearm and refuel, while the airfield was under direct fire from ground forces, was crazy. I broke a lot of MiGs today but I think we only lost one or two Sushkas in that time.

Kiryat Shmona was amazing, literally never a dull moment!

Could not agree more!

The new ‘one objective’ missions that gathers all forces in one area, have given the Cold War server a boost in entertainment. Fight Island and Arabian night are pretty entertaining those as well. I personally enjoy that the Hilos have a reasonable distance to fly on the Kiryat mission.. it just gives the Hilo pilots an incentive to go for another round if shot down.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hope this isnt too annoying Alpen, but i need to bring this up again

In the mission "Battle over Sukhumi unleashed" the MiG-29's get 12 R-27R's and 24 R-60M's on their spawn base of Maykop, plus 12 R-27R's and 36 R-73's(!) at Sochi, which is much closer to the battle

Meanwhile, Tomcats are limited to only 24 Sparrow F's, and can only pick them up at their spawn base of Nalchik

Additionally, unlock system in that mission (sinking 2 ships) makes it so either the Tomcat, or the MiG-29, and then then maybe the Tomcat gets unlocked, if someone manages to kill the ships that are already in port

The MiG-29's will dominate in close range engagements, having reliable all aspect IR missiles, where as the Tomcats can use their overwhelming number of sparrows in medium range engagements.

It is worth noting that if the tomcat is to rely on the number of missiles it carries, giving both planes the same number of SARH will put the tomcat at a slight disadvantage, as it cannot afford to use it's only counter to the MiG-29's ; that being not getting close and proper BVR. Essentially, Tomcats will run out of SARH much sooner than Fulcrums, if they always take max load of 6 sparrows, vs max of 2 R-27R's

I know the Tomcat can carry up to 6 sparrows, but not letting it have heaters while allowing the 29 to have them (arguably the better one of the 2; AIM-9L vs R-73) seems like a stretch to me. The Tomcat will be dead meat as soon as the MiG-29 manages to close in, which isnt all that difficult if the tomcat stays aggressive

Is this missile setup intentional?

Thanks again for the patience. I appriciate what you do Alpen :thumbup:

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

Maps and others:

Good news everybody, the Rb24j changes are in today's hotfix patch notes:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.5.6.54046/

It should now manoeuvre as per other Aim9p models and effectively be an Aim9p3 (assuming they have only changed the Coefficient of lift values as suggested)

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

In the mission "Battle over Sukhumi unleashed" the MiG-29's get 12 R-27R's and 24 R-60M's on their spawn base of Maykop, plus 12 R-27R's and 36 R-73's(!) at Sochi, which is much closer to the battle

Meanwhile, Tomcats are limited to only 24 Sparrow F's, and can only pick them up at their spawn base of Nalchik

Additionally, unlock system in that mission (sinking 2 ships) makes it so either the Tomcat, or the MiG-29, and then then maybe the Tomcat gets unlocked, if someone manages to kill the ships that are already in port

The MiG-29's will dominate in close range engagements, having reliable all aspect IR missiles, where as the Tomcats can use their overwhelming number of sparrows in medium range engagements.

It is worth noting that if the tomcat is to rely on the number of missiles it carries, giving both planes the same number of SARH will put the tomcat at a slight disadvantage, as it cannot afford to use it's only counter to the MiG-29's ; that being not getting close and proper BVR. Essentially, Tomcats will run out of SARH much sooner than Fulcrums, if they always take max load of 6 sparrows, vs max of 2 R-27R's

I know the Tomcat can carry up to 6 sparrows, but not letting it have heaters while allowing the 29 to have them (arguably the better one of the 2; AIM-9L vs R-73) seems like a stretch to me. The Tomcat will be dead meat as soon as the MiG-29 manages to close in, which isnt all that difficult if the tomcat stays aggressive

I’m pretty sure it is not intentional.

It's a darn hard job to balance the sides out, especially when BVR weapons are in the mix.

Not sure that I’m looking forward to the F14A and the Mig23 unless they carry the same kind of short ranges missiles as the rest.. mixing BVR weapons in with the remaining Gen 3 and 4 planes is a recipe for disagreements.

I’m still saying, give those boys rockets/bombs and guns only.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's what this thread is for. You can share your thoughts regarding the missions or the server any time you want. And no, you're not annoying me with it.

The R-73's shouldn't be there. That's my bad.

The R-60M's should only be at Maykop and only because 2 x R-27's vs 6 x AIM-7F's is simply not fair. So I add the R-60M's and now the F-14 is having the disadvantage. And to counter that I then would need to add the AIM-9L's. That would piss off the Fulcrum (maybe) so the R-73's are the answer. However, the R-73's are way better than the 9L's. I knew this was going to happen. It was only a matter of time until players started realising how fair or unfair things are. And now you figured the thing out with the ships. You see why I was always against adding 4+ gen planes to the server? I gave it a try for months now (and still do) to kind of - as I always say - break the routine. You know, spice it up. New challenges. And I might keep it that way for a little while longer. In fact, a new mission is in the making (Syria map) and might have MiG-29's and F-14B's. The latter taking off from the Stennis. But then again, the problem is with the weapons.

The R-73's will be removed from Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed.

I'll try and figure out something for the anti-ship objective.

Good news everybody, the Rb24j changes are in today's hotfix patch notes:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.5.6.54046/

It should now manoeuvre as per other Aim9p models and effectively be an Aim9p3 (assuming they have only changed the Coefficient of lift values as suggested)

Lazzyseal is already testing the missile.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments