Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Good feedback there, folks. I'll get on it tomorrow.

NOTE:

BIGNEWY confirmed that the FARP's will be fixed in the next update. So no more helicopters spawning on top of each other:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4318470#post4318470

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

The last few weeks, I've also seen an increase in FARP attacks, but that has in turn been followed by an increase in the helos fortifying their bases at the beginning of missions. The first hour or two of the missions are now usually spent in shuttling SAM launchers, ammo trucks, and EWR sites around to prepare the battlefield. So one tactic is counteracted by another tactic, and the strategies on both sides evolve.

Yes, that's true. However, with the instant and continuous attacks combined with the current spawning bug for helicopters it takes too much time to get to the point were helicopters can build effective defenses before the show begins (and mind you, the current Vulcans and Stingers that we can deploy are not really defenses a fast MiG would have to fear very much!). The same if you are late to the party...

Not only are both FARPs and all the EWR sites very exposed and easy to find and attack [...]

Hmm, very true. That makes me want spawn points on the ground and some well hidden refueling and rearming sites (maybe just using the single helipads?) even more. I mean, in a symmetric conflict that we have on this server, a FARP would probably be hidden as good as possible. It's unfortunate ED only offers these crazy elevated super big green tiles. The best solution would have been an invisible area defined in the ME as FARP on the in-sim natural landscape. There once was an invisible runway available in ME, it was withdrawn however.

That was a fun session, I really liked the part where a Viggen and two tigers happened upon an SA2 site and finished it off. Sorry I had a go at people for entering the runway without looking but it was getting annoying and repetative having to dodge people while taking off :(

All good, I quickly glanced but didn't see you as the grey F-5 blends in quite well! Things got a bit chaotic later with people taking off in all directions anyway. Next time I might have to try my hand at finding a nice patch of road nearby, now I think I've got landing the Viggen mostly down pat :D

Server News:

1) Operation - The Desert Has Eyes:

- Deploying SAM batteries and ammo trucks is now available.

- FARP's have now more IR SAM units at mission's start.

- The FARP's are now a bunch of several single helipads rather than one FARP (no more spawning on top of each other).

- ARC channels for the Mi-8's and UH-1's have been added to help navigate on the friendly FARP.

- 4 x Su-25's/A-10A's instead of just 2.

- Less MiG-21's/F-5's.

2) Operation - Search & Destroy:

- The FARP's are now a bunch of several single helipads rather than one FARP (no more spawning on top of each other).

- The annoying bug regarding the situation's update is finally fixed. Found the bugger!

NOTE:

Single helipads will slowly but surely replace the FARP's to avoid players spawning on each other. ED did confirm fixing the issue (next update, I hope), but single helipads are a permanent solution, I guess.

Thanks for your continuous feedback, critics and words of advice! Helps a lot :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

After playing with no AWACK on a mission I decided to deploy 3 EWR and then spawn in an F5 but still I could have any buggy dope. I could select the EWR on the menu but no one reply on the radio when I request BD or Picture. I was on 251 like it says on the briefing.

What i do wrong and why we have no more AWACKS?

Server News:

1) Operation - The Desert Has Eyes:

- Deploying SAM batteries and ammo trucks is now available.

- FARP's have now more IR SAM units at mission's start.

- ARC channels for the Mi-8's and UH-1's have been added to help navigate on the friendly FARP.

- 4 x Su-25's/A-10A's instead of just 2.

- Less MiG-21's/F-5's.

2) Operation - Search & Destroy:

- The annoying bug regarding the situation's update is finally fixed. Found the bugger!

NOTE:

Single helipads will slowly but surely replace the FARP's to avoid players spawning on each other. ED did confirm fixing the issue (next update, I hope), but single helipads are a permanent solution, I guess.

Thanks for your continuous feedback, critics and words of advice! Helps a lot :thumbup:

Great news, Alpenwolf! Thank you!

After playing with no AWACK on a mission I decided to deploy 3 EWR and then spawn in an F5 but still I could have any buggy dope. I could select the EWR on the menu but no one reply on the radio when I request BD or Picture. I was on 251 like it says on the briefing.

What i do wrong and why we have no more AWACKS?

AWACS is too strong and unrealistic here in DCS. Even helicopters on the ground are detected by AWACS. EWR's are not as good so make sure you deploy them on a higher ground. I believe they have a range of 100 km max or something.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

AWACS is too strong and unrealistic here in DCS. Even helicopters on the ground are detected by AWACS. EWR's are not as good so make sure you deploy them on a higher ground. I believe they have a range of 100 km max or something.

Hi Alpen when I interrogate them using the comm menu I had no reply back ie Clean or with some kind of answer. How is it suppose to work?

Great mission today in "Search and destroy" for the helicopters! We were not attacked at the FARP or intercepted constantly, and we got great cover by A-10s and Viggen today! EWRs instead of AWACS works wonderful for the choppers. I'm aware that there are difficulties with getting a bogey dope from the AI EWR, but any human GCI is better than the AI anyway, so I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantage by far.

Edited by Pilot Ike

Great mission today in "Search and destroy" for the helicopters! We were not attacked at the FARP or intercepted constantly, and we got great cover by A-10s and Viggen today! EWRs instead of AWACS works wonderful for the choppers. I'm aware that there are difficulties with getting a bogey dope from the AI EWR, but any human GCI is better than the AI anyway, so I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantage by far.

It was only a pleasure, the A10 is made for CAS :smilewink:

I fully agree about the EWR’s instead of AWACS, it becomes more realistic, and that’s the bottom line in DCS.. is it not.

SRS was working perfectly, and aviators were calling in trouble since the EWR’s could not reach everywhere. This is definitely the way forward, it used to turn into air quake before.

Great fight from both the Red and Blue team :thumbup:

..and great work as always Alpenwolf!

[DEVILS 666] NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really don't understand how those EWR works. I miss the AWACK to be honest

If you don’t get any directions from EWR’s then head to the Hot Spots and start scanning the horizon, just like they did it in the old days.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really don't understand how those EWR works. I miss the AWACK to be honest

The EWR's are limited; mountains, hills, range etc. which is not far from the real thing. With AWACS, striking and helicopter missions were impossible. I can't have huge dogfights only. Not the idea behind any of the 22 missions so far (maybe except for the mission Chaos, which lasts for 1.5-2 hours only. Was online for a couple of weeks).

The blue EWRs still don't seem to consistently communicate - either by request or autonomously. Red ones do. Not sure why.

Same for Red.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Search & Destroy was incredible tonight! Helicopters, CA, strikers! All working together. 104th_Tiger shot down an A-10A while driving the T-72. Was fantastic and beautiful to watch while I was driving the other T-72.

For me it's safe to say this is my favourite mission so far!

Still looking forward to one of the teams winning the battle!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I had some issues repairing in both it (with the Viggen) and Swedish Delivery (with the MiG-19). Engines off, power off, all the usual. Not sure what was up but I had to replane for both, any ideas? As for EWR - when I switched to Red to even the teams, I was able to communicate fine, and got autonomous callouts. I almost wonder if it has something to do with when the player occupies the slot?

Also tried the Mi-8 in the former mission, first time flying a helicopter and it went about as well as you'd expect :lol:

If you don’t get any directions from EWR’s then head to the Hot Spots and start scanning the horizon, just like they did it in the old days.

It might be my imagination or my overly-optimistic nature, but the last couple days with the AWACS/EWR changes have seemed more realistic to me. Going on strikes, instead of getting lasered in from 100km away by a fighter, I was generally unharassed until I got close to the target where the enemy had put up a CAP station to intercept us. I know everybody in the real world had GCI and basic AWACS in the mid-to-late Cold War period, but maybe the default AWACS in DCS World is just a little too omniscient for what Alpenwolf is trying to simulate here.

Also tried the Mi-8 in the former mission, first time flying a helicopter and it went about as well as you'd expect :lol:

Coincidentally, during the same Swedish Delivery mission last night I flew the C-101CC for the first time and, wow, what a great-looking aircraft. I was just checking it out during the free month but I'm definitely buying it next week when the Steam sale starts. My first DCS module was the L-39 and while the Albatros is better in some (but not all) ways performance-wise, it really looks dated when compared side-to-side with the C-101. Highly recommend everyone at least take a look at it soon while it's still free.

As for EWR - when I switched to Red to even the teams, I was able to communicate fine, and got autonomous callouts. I almost wonder if it has something to do with when the player occupies the slot?

I'm not sure if there is still some bugginess on DCS side regarding blue EWR.

They used to straight up not work with the blue callsigns. Just as Jtac wouldn't work with the red numerical callsigns.

Their overall detection range is similar to AWACS however being on the ground terrain interferes with them.

They also have a conical blindspot above them.

Edited by Dehuman
Diction

I'm not sure if their is still some bugginess on DCS side regarding blue EWR.

They used to straight up not work with the blue callsigns. Just as Jtac wouldn't work with the red numerical callsigns.

I think I figured it out on Five Points Unleashed, at least: the Blue EWR sites are on 124Mhz, not 251Mhz. No responses to any comms on 251, switched to 124 and everything worked correctly.

(Edit: According to Google, the EWR's comms frequency can be changed in the mission editor through the Advanced Waypoint Action tab, then Perform Command > Change Frequency.)

Edited by Brown Floyd

Server News:

Currently there are 6 missions with EWR's instead of AWACS:

- Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed (2 x EWR's for each coalition)

- Five Points Unleashed (2 x EWR's for each coalition)

- Swedish Delivery (2 x EWR's for each coalition)

- Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi (1 x EWR for each coalition)

- The Desert Has Eyes (4 x EWR's for each coalition)

- Search & Destroy (1 x EWR for each coalition)

However, Red has 1 additional EWR unit which is assigned for MiG-15's only because they use a very old radio with unique frequencies that other Red airplanes can't tune on to use.

When you select F7 from the radio menu for EWR frequencies, the EWR's are shown as AWACS with numbers assigned to them; 1, 2, 3, ... I tried to change that and assign names for the EWR's (e.g. MiG-15's EWR, ALL planes EWR, etc.) but unfortunately there's no way of doing that, unless I overlooked something there. So when EWR units are deployed it gets even more confusing and MiG-15's wont know which EWR works for them. At mission's start it's always the last EWR on the menu. So for instance, in the mission Swedish Delivery where 2 EWR's are available for each coalition, EWR number 3 for Red is that of the MiG-15's.

Blue can now use different frequencies for different EWR stations. In the mission The Desert Has Eyes for example, there are 4 EWR's with 4 different frequencies:

EWR-1: 251 MHz

EWR-2: 252 MHz

EWR-3: 253 MHz

EWR-4: 254 MHz

All frequencies are in the briefing in every mission of the above. In this mission deploying EWR's is disabled so no problems there unless you start losing some. So if EWR-3 is destroyed, EWR-4 will be shown as number 3 on the radio's menu. so things become confusing. In other missions where EWR deployment is enabled it becomes even more confusing and not sure what frequencies are assigned automatically to the deployed EWR's. I believe 124 MHz and 251 MHz be default.

So for Blue the first EWR on the list has the frequency 251 MHz, the second 252 MHz and so on. Which is what you have at mission's start. It gets only complicated when EWR's are deployed.

So obviously if I could at least change the names of the initial EWR's things would be much easier.

Any help is appreciated :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Any help is appreciated :thumbup:

Hopefully when ED implements the IADS (integrated air defence system) things will improve.

Currently there is some data link / sharing between ai units but I need to test this further.

It would obviously be ideal to have a single EWR unit communicating with players the shared picture from all ground units.