Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

SRS has received an update that is not backwards-compatible. When should we update to maintain compatibilty with Cold War SRS?

People are flying right now. I'll have to wait for server rotation to bring it down shortly. SRS updates only when the server's offline.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Latest trend has been grabbing a dropped heavier armored vehicle, and drive it for the last part of the way and take over the airbases. The mission will be over in less then half the time.. like what happened on the Abu Dhabi mission yesterday. The bases should have some kind of defense for units like that, but still be easily to find when approached with aircraft or hilos for air to ground ops.

It is literally impossible to find a tank driving thru the streets of Abu Dhabi or forest sections on other maps.

3-4 well placed heavily armored tanks at neutral air bases would be a great solution. The Vulcans and Shilkas are pretty lousy against a human T72 or Abrams.

There was an incident 2 weeks back when a tank rolled in on Batumi airbase and started taking down Mig21’s while they were departing and taxying. That individual was proud of it and counted up to 30 planes down. This happened just an hour into the mission start.

I remember this. I spotted him flying down the valley behind Batumi and figured he was trying to drop a cheeky MANPADS or something, shot him down, RTB, came back to kill the unit and discovered it was a tank. He offroaded and hid it in a forest, so both my Groms missed (hey, at least now I learnt how to use them), and apparently nobody else realised he was there or just didn't go for it. The guy kept dropping connection so it was actually a mercy for us that he took so long to get there. For a while there was some confusion and we had a group of guys convinced it was our own GCI trying to grief them. A second player did the exact same thing with a BMP, only this time on Kobuleti, and I was thankfully able to spot and destroy it - but only after it'd killed every single unit on the airbase.

While we're on the topic of questionable strategies, actually, Alpen - what's the policy on runways? On some of the missions with capturable airfields I've recently been trying to deny use of the nearer ones to buy breathing space from MiG-21s, but always leaving them at least one or two spawnable airfields so they can still fly. Is there an official position on this? I kinda figured so far that if they can't defend their own bases, they're fair game, because I've seen Viggens doing it a lot while I've been on red.

I think its fine to have tanks or any other ground unit drive to an airport an cause destruction, this is combat simulation and any sound tactic should be alowed, of course within the limitations of the Sim. In my midnd runway denial is a must in any air war, more so to ensure that helos get breathing space to work, since is rather unusual to have ground focused pilots and comms do not allow tho coordinate CAP

While we're on the topic of questionable strategies, actually, Alpen - what's the policy on runways? On some of the missions with capturable airfields I've recently been trying to deny use of the nearer ones to buy breathing space from MiG-21s, but always leaving them at least one or two spawnable airfields so they can still fly. Is there an official position on this? I kinda figured so far that if they can't defend their own bases, they're fair game, because I've seen Viggens doing it a lot while I've been on red.

Viggen drivers have always been a group with questionable morality... :smilewink:

Pretty simple. Each coalition has at least one airbase defended with MBTs, ATGMs and a tonne of SAMs.

Pretty sure this is the case most of the time already.

Pretty simple. Each coalition has at least one airbase defended with MBTs, ATGMs and a tonne of SAMs.

Pretty sure this is the case most of the time already.

It is so.

Capture all you want (mainly, I'm talking about the last 4 missions, but others as well). When that's done the server is going to rotate anyway.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Abu Dhabi and the current mission have both been bugged with no EWR’s for the Blue team. The Red team has com’s working with their EWR, this is right in the beginning of the mission.

The com’s on the Blue team on the previous mission was in russian, not that I mind, but that in combination with zero EWR made it sound like a bug.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Abu Dhabi and the current mission have both been bugged with no EWR’s for the Blue team. The Red team has com’s working with their EWR, this is right in the beginning of the mission.

The com’s on the Blue team on the previous mission was in russian, not that I mind, but that in combination with zero EWR made it sound like a bug.

Not a bug, but the problem is I have to use a "ukranian" EWR unit (which is russian actually, but I put Ukraine on the Blue side) to enable EWR. So it's automatically in Russian. So you'd need to have the subtitles enabled. If there's a way around this, please let me know.

EWR's and no AWACS is "new" to the server so I still need to work on that.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Not a bug, but the problem is I have to use a "ukranian" EWR unit (which is russian actually, but I put Ukraine on the Blue side) to enable EWR. So it's automatically in Russian. So you'd need to have the subtitles enabled. If there's a way around this, please let me know.

EWR's and no AWACS is "new" to the server so I still need to work on that.

Use Georgian EWR and it's in English and imperial units. It converts the callsigns to the AWACS (Warrior gets changed to Wizard, for example) ones so use one of the first 4(5?) on the list.

MiG-29As don't get activated in the Search And Destroy mission

OJzAf6Q.jpg

YY2gdIE.jpg

Edited by Redhotita1

PC : i7 7700K | NVIDIA 2070 Super | 32GB RAM 3000MHz

Modules : FC3 | Bf 109K-4 Kurfurst | F-5E-3 Tiger II | A-10C Worthog | MiG-21Bis Fishbed | UH-1H Huey | Combined Arms | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C Hornet | Ka-50 | F-14A&B Tomcat! | L-39 | Mi-8MTV | Persian Gulf | F-86F | MiG-15 | AV-8B N/A | M-2000C | P-51D | F-16C | Yak-52 | Nevada | SA342 | NS430 | JF-17

Virpil WarBRD | Virpil VFX Grip

Use Georgian EWR and it's in English and imperial units. It converts the callsigns to the AWACS (Warrior gets changed to Wizard, for example) ones so use one of the first 4(5?) on the list.

Cheers, bro! It works now :thumbup:

However, deployed EWR's are quite a different thing, I'm afraid. I'll have to check out the CTLD script.

MiG-29As don't get activated in the Search And Destroy mission

Sorry you had to fly that long for nothing.

For whatever reason the triggers for activating the MiG-29A's (and the M-2000C's) were missing. They're there now and it works.

Thanks for reporting.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Can we have M818 trucks (or the red equivalent) in all missions to supply units deployed in the field?

Also, I have mixed feelings about this tank-dropping thing. It seems to be the new standard now for some people to put a tank into a chopper, fly close to an enemy base, preferably the FARP as it is less defended and gets little attention by the jet jockeys, drop the tank there, instantly leave the chopper where it is, hop into the tank and close the FARP. While I generally like the idea of denying bases for the enemy and the opposing side deserves right if they don't defend and coordinate, I don't like that people instantly leave their chopper in the field and go tank-driving, that's too arcade for my taste. A "real" sortie starts at the ramp/FARP and ends at the ramp/FARP.

Can we have M818 trucks (or the red equivalent) in all missions to supply units deployed in the field?

Also, I have mixed feelings about this tank-dropping thing. It seems to be the new standard now for some people to put a tank into a chopper, fly close to an enemy base, preferably the FARP as it is less defended and gets little attention by the jet jockeys, drop the tank there, instantly leave the chopper where it is, hop into the tank and close the FARP. While I generally like the idea of denying bases for the enemy and the opposing side deserves right if they don't defend and coordinate, I don't like that people instantly leave their chopper in the field and go tank-driving, that's too arcade for my taste. A "real" sortie starts at the ramp/FARP and ends at the ramp/FARP.

What missions don't have the ammo truck? The last 4 surely do.

I get your point. Which is why there are 2 tanks now (T-72/Abrams) at each FARP or captured airbase to counter such actions. Deployed APC's will have a hard time dealing with that so strike missions are needed more than ever. Might increase the number of the tanks. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, some players leave their aircraft while inflight. I rarely catch these guys. But when I do, they're banned!

I'd been watching a guy for weeks whom I caught recently doing that 4 times. Goes back to spectators or leaves the server then rejoins while being in a disadvantage in a dogfight. He's banned for ever.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

What missions don't have the ammo truck? The last 4 surely do.

I think it was "The desert has eyes" where I deployed several Stingers around the FARP (as we chopper pilots get harrassed there constantly), but they were Winchester very soon due to the many "visitors", and their less than impressive hit rate. I think there were no M818 available.

I think it was "The desert has eyes" where I deployed several Stingers around the FARP (as we chopper pilots get harrassed there constantly), but they were Winchester very soon due to the many "visitors", and their less than impressive hit rate. I think there were no M818 available.

Ammo trucks are now available.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Swedish delivery yesterday was awesome! Huge thanks to everyone involved (and sorry to the two MiGs I slammed into - I was trying to belly land my striken Viggen next to you for cinematic effect, but it got its own ideas about where it wanted to go and the left wing dug in). The server's been absolutely jumping lately and it was amazing to have so many people on, despite the EWR issues leaving blue with some SA problems until we got human GCI on.

I also discovered that Sidewinders make reasonably good dumbfire SEAD weapons, for when you configure your bombs and rockets wrong on three consecutive strike runs. Both Alpha flight's mission target and the starting red EWR fell to RB-24Js after I ran out of everything else :doh:

I also discovered that Sidewinders make reasonably good dumbfire SEAD weapons, for when you configure your bombs and rockets wrong on three consecutive strike runs. Both Alpha flight's mission target and the starting red EWR fell to RB-24Js after I ran out of everything else :doh:

I remember that, great move hehe :thumbup:

Speaking of the Swedish Delivery mission, would it be possible to add 2 A10c’s on the blues side to help out with ground strike missions, just to balance things out since the Red team has the SU25’s.

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it was in "When the mountains cry" today that there is a spawning error at FARP Zeni for the Hueys. They spawn on top of each other causing a crash.

That's a DCS bug. A rather annoying one.

DCS issue.

I was wondering, can you work around this problem by simply letting helicopters spawn "on the ground" (option in ME) next to the FARP? It happens in basically every mission and requires a lot of time to coordinate between players and make them spawn one at a time and clear the pad immediately to avoid crashes. That is IF other players are willing to coordinate at all.

Request/suggestion especially for "The desert has eyes", but also for other missions to consider:

Can we have a HAWK site at the blue FARP? Or have the FARP pulled back under the HAWK screen of rear targets? Or at least have the option as helicopter pilots to set up our own HAWK site, and also EWR maybe ?

Here's why: For the last few days some special MiG players seemed to make it their only goal to constantly attack the FARP and hunt down helicopters there. In general I'd say "C'est la guerre", but when these players only want to make our life miserable and fly without ever caring if they survive the sortie or not, while we want to fly mission-oriented, that's ruining the concept of the server, don't you think?

Yesterday I witnessed some really uncool events there, probably the "best" was a disconnect by a notorious MIG driver right before he was about to eat a -9M by an A-10A that was covering the FARP.

I was wondering, can you work around this problem by simply letting helicopters spawn "on the ground" (option in ME) next to the FARP? It happens in basically every mission and requires a lot of time to coordinate between players and make them spawn one at a time and clear the pad immediately to avoid crashes. That is IF other players are willing to coordinate at all.

I know that, but that's a lot of work, buddy. I'll see what I can do.

Request/suggestion especially for "The desert has eyes", but also for other missions to consider:

Can we have a HAWK site at the blue FARP? Or have the FARP pulled back under the HAWK screen of rear targets? Or at least have the option as helicopter pilots to set up our own HAWK site, and also EWR maybe ?

Here's why: For the last few days some special MiG players seemed to make it their only goal to constantly attack the FARP and hunt down helicopters there. In general I'd say "C'est la guerre", but when these players only want to make our life miserable and fly without ever caring if they survive the sortie or not, while we want to fly mission-oriented, that's ruining the concept of the server, don't you think?

Yesterday I witnessed some really uncool events there, probably the "best" was a disconnect by a notorious MIG driver right before he was about to eat a -9M by an A-10A that was covering the FARP.

I'll look into it and figure something out.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The last few weeks, I've also seen an increase in FARP attacks, but that has in turn been followed by an increase in the helos fortifying their bases at the beginning of missions. The first hour or two of the missions are now usually spent in shuttling SAM launchers, ammo trucks, and EWR sites around to prepare the battlefield. So one tactic is counteracted by another tactic, and the strategies on both sides evolve; that's one of the things I like about this server and its repeating missions.

That said, The Desert Has Eyes is uniquely tough for the helicopters on both sides, especially with no A2G weapons restrictions. Not only are both FARPs and all the EWR sites very exposed and easy to find and attack, but the AA weapons available (Vulcans/Shilka and MANPADS) make it very difficult to protect the FARP and EWR sites. The modern standoff A2G weapons (Mavericks, BK90s, Vikhr, etc.) have better ranges than the AA systems the helos are carting around, so it's bit discouraging to spend 30 minutes hauling a MANPADS over to an EWR site, only to have the radar get plinked by a BK90 anyway.

I think the easiest* tweak to the mission to fix this is to add Chapparals and Strelas to the available systems to pick up at the FARP. Having helicopter spawn points at the fixed-wing bases might also be a fun variation to try.

*With the usual implied caveat that I actually have no idea how easy it is to change anything in the missions, and that we all defer to Alpenwolf in his infinite wisdom and finite patience and time available.

I have been trying to CAP you and Rouge as much as I can, but it has been really hard since I’m one of very few ever doing it.

In regards to the Kamikaze Red spawning aviator, we all know who that is.. and it does not help his score if he leaves the server and comes back few seconds later, the kill/death ratio is still there.

Since the latest “drive your own tank to the objective” trend, the GCi slots are being taken and there is very few slots available if any in rush hour combat. Is there a possibility to add “tank driver” slots, and leave the Gci slots for the commanders?

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the usual implied caveat that I actually have no idea how easy it is to change anything in the missions, and that we all defer to Alpenwolf in his infinite wisdom and finite patience and time available.

Could not have said it better.. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Swedish delivery yesterday was awesome! Huge thanks to everyone involved (and sorry to the two MiGs I slammed into - I was trying to belly land my striken Viggen next to you for cinematic effect, but it got its own ideas about where it wanted to go and the left wing dug in). The server's been absolutely jumping lately and it was amazing to have so many people on, despite the EWR issues leaving blue with some SA problems until we got human GCI on.

That was a fun session, I really liked the part where a Viggen and two tigers happened upon an SA2 site and finished it off. Sorry I had a go at people for entering the runway without looking but it was getting annoying and repetative having to dodge people while taking off :(

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄