DCS-BIOS F/A-18C library. Get it here!

Hi TechRoss

I am exactly at the same point, nothing is working anymore

So i can forget about displaying my non functional cockpit in a SIMPit Fair at the 10.11.2018

Sorry community but ive been trying 3 weeks to get my broken cockpit to work again, after i made a run to build the cockpit in a record time.

And i really rage quitted. So thats whay i was offline for a while

I Aprreciate Andrews input, but im at the point to say wiring its fine, its the 0.6 update and the newest ED Updates that broke something as it was working like a charm before.

I am Using the latest Open beta-version

Maybe its time to rethink the whole dcs-bios story as far as i know, the guy hu invented dcs bios is not longer working on it.

What are your thoughts and how come that only 2 people report the same issue?

are you guys all on the Stable DCS Version?

Cheers Evilfisher

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tech

Thy that will give me new hope to try again

Are you on stable or open beta?

I am on OB.

I am not sure what version of the Hornet DCS-BIOS code I am using, can try figure it out when I get home, or just zip up the specific files for you.

Only problem I have is some switches have to be flicked up to turn on, and then back down and up again to turn off, so more like a momentary button.

I works for now, and hopefully will for you also.

I'm just getting this error when i try to create a new profile using the 0.6 files. Any ideas?

Sorry can't help with the specific error excrpt it sounds like the script is trying to call a control that it can't find.

I do however suggest you you an older version. We are not able to get 6 to work at the moment and waiting for feedback.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hi

first the error comes from this: /

replache the whole "10. Right Engine Fire Warning Extinguisher Light" block with:

-- 10. Right Engine Fire Warning Extinguisher Light
defineIndicatorLight("FIRE_RIGHT_LT", 26, " Right Engine Fire Warning Extinguisher Light", "FIRE RIGHT")
definePushButton("RIGHT_FIRE_BTN", 12, 3011, 27, " Right Engine Fire Warning Extinguisher Light", "Right Engine/AMAD Fire Warning/Extinguisher Light")
defineToggleSwitch("RIGHT_FIRE_BTN_COVER", 12, 3013, 28, " Right Engine Fire Warning Extinguisher Light", "Right Engine/AMAD Fire Warning Cover")

and delete the F-18 json files under:

.....\DCS-BIOS\doc\json

start some mission to create the new json files

so my question is there a way to read out the total fuelstate form the IFEI via dcs BIOS?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I finally have a bit of spare time, have just upgraded to the latest beta and as much as I'd love to spend time playing with the new features I'll be spending the next couple of hours going through each switch to make sure they are working. Stay tuned.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

My switch box works again in DCS but back to the original problem I was trying to solve where certain switches don't toggle correctly. For instance, the fuel dump switch, have to flick it up to dump, then to stop dumping must flick it down then back up, like it is a push button.

I tested the fuel dump switch by itself as my first test.

It works exactly as expected, with the switch position in the aircraft properly mimicking the physical switch position.

Note that for my complete switch test I use the interactive controls screen, but I specifically created a simple sketch for this one switch to test with a physical switch as well.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I tested the fuel dump switch by itself as my first test.

It works exactly as expected, with the switch position in the aircraft properly mimicking the physical switch position.

Note that for my complete switch test I use the interactive controls screen, but I specifically created a simple sketch for this one switch to test with a physical switch as well.

HI Andrew

Are you saying it worked with your new version that you are currently looking at or the current (0.6) release one?

Appreciate you doing all of this for us by the way. Without your code, the sim would not be the same to me as the keyboard spoils it big time.

HI Andrew

Are you saying it worked with your new version that you are currently looking at or the current (0.6) release one?

Appreciate you doing all of this for us by the way. Without your code, the sim would not be the same to me as the keyboard spoils it big time.

This is with the existing 0.6 code.

I'm still working through testing every switch and indicator, and have found a few that need fixing and will release a 0.7 compatible with 2.5.3.23788 as soon as it is ready to go.

Thanks for the kind words as well, I did this for my own use but I am glad there are others in the community that can use it as well.

Righto, v0.7 uploaded. I have tested every single switch and indicator lamp.

I fixed a handful of not particularly important 3 position toggles that whilst the control definitions had not changed, EDs implementation of the switches obviously has. This is a pain, as it means I can't rely on changes in the control lua files and instead need to check every switch every time a new release comes out ...

The only thing I am aware of as an issue with the current version is some strange behaviour on pulling the emergency brake, but that is going to take a bit longer to sort out.

Edited by Bullant

A couple of suggestions for people who are having problems.

1. Please make sure you have followed the DCS-Bios setup instructions to the letter.

2. Test that DCS-Bios works with the A10 before testing the F18

3. Start with a really simple Arduino sketch, I suggest just one 2 way toggle.

4. Make sure that you have used the absolute latest control reference to generate the entries in your arduino sketch, as the control commands sometimes change.

DDI PB didn't work

Hi first of all: thanks for your effort!! I tried myself to make F18 ULA's but have no Glue how you get to the rigtht paramters... actually Buttons work like the AA, or MasterArm, but could it be that the 20 DDI Buttons didn't Work? I tried it with Lefft DDI Button 13: nothing happened.

(your latest V.07 Bios Files, DCS 2.5 Beta, everthing works fine with A10)

Shame on me.. Nummeration is not the same as in A10... PB 13 is in the right row...in A10 it's bottom.. :megalol: Sorry. and Thanks. And because there is no function at startup screen I did not see the press animation...

Yes that is a bit annoying!

Glad it is working for you.

have you changed/deleted your old the json files?

Just to clarify, you shouldn't have to do this as they are regenerated every time you start a mission. I only include them in the zip file for completeness.

Hi Andrew

I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I had this working great with OB until ver 0.6. This morning I got 0.7, dropped the new files in my scripts folder, double checked my sketch did not need changing and when I am in game, nothing.

When I am on a connect serial CMD window, I can press switches no problem and see the output, but when I check the window with the Hornet running, there is no data coming in from DCS.

Like I said, this works if I go back to versions before 0.6. My process is to get your new zip, drop the DCS-BIOS folder from your ZIP into my saved games, scripts folder where it overwrites the files with your new ones. Run the connect serial and load game. What do you think I could have missed?

edit: a quick screen shot

Capture.png

Are you trying to run two copies of DCS-Bios at the same time? Because it looks as though you are running one on COMM1 and one on COMM4?

Your process for installing/updating the hornet library sounds correct, and the changes in OB necessitate moving to 0.7 as 0.6 is broken for a handful of switches (plus I fixed some typos).

Hi Andrew

When I am on a connect serial CMD window, I can press switches no problem and see the output, but when I check the window with the Hornet running, there is no data coming in from DCS.

Stupid question, but do you have this line in your saved games\openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua file?

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua]])

Also check that the saved games\openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua is my version that has the F18 module added with this line:

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\dcs-bios\lib\FA-18C_hornet.lua]])

Are you trying to run two copies of DCS-Bios at the same time? Because it looks as though you are running one on COMM1 and one on COMM4?

I have a second Arduino (Uno) running some LEDs for Shoot Que and lock.

Stupid question, but do you have this line in your saved games\openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua file?

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua]])

Yeah double checked the file and the line is there. If I go back to an older version of your code, to before 0.6 with the same expot file, your Hornet stuff works like a dream but with a fe glitches which I assume are changes made on ED side.

Also check that the saved games\openbeta\Scripts\DCS-BIOS\BIOS.lua is my version that has the F18 module added with this line:

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\dcs-bios\lib\FA-18C_hornet.lua]])

Yeah that one is in there.

Also made sure I am latest DCS-BIO but it has not changed for a while.

I am at a loss to explain that.

The only other suggestion I can make is to try using DCS-Bios in live view mode and see if that works. At least that will take arduino out of the loop and test your DCS/DCS-Bios setup standalone.

I am at a loss to explain that.

The only other suggestion I can make is to try using DCS-Bios in live view mode and see if that works. At least that will take arduino out of the loop and test your DCS/DCS-Bios setup standalone.

Andrew, I really do appreciate you trying to help.

I will look at this live view mode and see what happens.

Currently my sketches for the Hog, Huey and TF-51 work no problem.

Could messing with the default.lua for the joystick cause problems? I recently got a Warthog (never should have spent that money) and if I think back on it, I am sure this is when my problems started. I have a few lines of code in the lua to use the Warthogs buttons in game as proper toggle switches. There is no fancy code in there at all. My TF-51 default.lua file is changed ad that is not causing a problem.

Could messing with the default.lua for the joystick cause problems? I recently got a Warthog (never should have spent that money) and if I think back on it, I am sure this is when my problems started. I have a few lines of code in the lua to use the Warthogs buttons in game as proper toggle switches. There is no fancy code in there at all. My TF-51 default.lua file is changed ad that is not causing a problem.

It's a possibility. It couldn't hurt to set that back to the default file and see if things just start working?

Using a rotary encoder for the UFC channel selector

Hi Andrew,

I'm using a rotary encoder for the UFC channel selector, mainly because it also has a nice momentary button function as well. It does work, however only in one direction, it either INC only or DEC only. I've also performed a test using the browser interactive plugin and i'm seeing the same result.

/* UFC */

DcsBios::RotaryEncoder ufcComm1ChannelSelect("UFC_COMM1_CHANNEL_SELECT", "-3200", "+3200", 2, 3);

Just wondering if this is something that hasn't been implemented yet. Or, and most likely I'm doing something wrong. I have validated the wiring against the encoders single line wiring diagram as well

I've only just started my journey down the pit building path, so I'm sure I've messed something up or need to read up on something, so any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Shane

Oh, in-case anyone is wondering the UFC design I've used was created by the wonderful Brun in this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218874. I'm stoked with how its turned out so far using a single Arduino Mega

UFC1.thumb.jpg.1eda46cbd4b109674ad5d329964447a4.jpg

UFC2.thumb.jpg.d98d3485db13059dbfebc4b0bd9ff434.jpg

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat