kneeboard for specific missions?

Tricky11

you need to make a folder in the miz file called KNEEBOARD and inside that folder make another folder called IMAGES. In that folder place your jpegs... Simple as that..

For the benefit of others who, like me, may not find the above quite so obvious:

It appears that *.miz files are zip files - at any rate the above can be accomplished using 7-zip.

The case of the folders KNEEBOARD and IMAGES does matter.

They don't have to be jpegs. I was able to copy png files produced by kneeboard builder, and those worked - saving some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 6 months later...

Inside of the KNEEBOARD folder, you can use subfolders for each aircraft, such as A-10C or KA-50 so that only those types of ac can see them. It won't work Coalition wide but can give you some options.

The "Kneeboard Builder" app might be worth a look, as it has a snazzy UI to add kneeboards to .miz files as well as DCS in general.

Note that it wigs out with the text on PDF files sometimes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it Also possible to make specific kneeboards to specific planes. Say i have a group og f18 flying sead and another flying Cap. And i want them to have different info on kneeboard. Can this be done

using pilot id?

• 4 weeks later...

There are 2 trains of thought here and more.

To Make a kneeboard specific to one type of aircraft one must create a kneeboard folder under the saved games/DCS (or beta) folder.

Then under that folder make another folder of the aircraft in question using the exact name such as SpitfireLFMkIX.

put the jpg or png files in here that you want all Spitfires to see in all missions.

To make a mission specific kneeboard for a specific type of aircraft, I found that opening up the .miz file (winzip) and making a folder within the .miz for kneeboard and then under that make an aircraft specific folder I.E. SpitfireLFMkIX. Under that folder make another folder called IMAGES and place your jpg and png files in there for mission specific aircraft specific. It works for me.

This gets a selection, when you bring up the kneeboard for all missions and the ones that only show up on the specific .miz mission you edited by adding files and folders via .zip program or the afore mentioned utility.

Now to get on to investigating individual aircraft specific kneeboards which is beyond my pay scale at present.

Thanks for the incentive to dig deeper.

• Thanks 1

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

• 2 months later...
Total noob - so opened in WinZip. Created folder "KNEEBOARD/IMAGES", then rezipped. Added ".miz" to end of filename. DCS won't show it in missions. What do I need to do differently?

Your Mission has to look like this sample:

Vsv7W91.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 months later...

First - thanks for all the info, this has been helpful.

I have a miz file with the following directories

KNEEBOARD\IMAGES

KNEEBOARD\FA-18c_hornet\IMAGES

KNEEBOARD\F-16C_50\IMAGES

I have files in all three images folders. I can see the KNEEBOARD\IMAGES files in both planes. I can see the KNEEBOARD\F-16C_50\IMAGES in the F-16.

I cannot see the KNEEBOARD\FA-18c_hornet\IMAGES files in the F18.

Any thoughts on why? Is the folder structure and naming correct? Any one know what the F-14, AV8B, and A10C folder names are?

I've also tried KNEEBOARD\FA-18C_hornet\IMAGES with no luck.

*****UPDATE*****

I figured it out - its KNEEBOARD\FA-18C_hornet\IMAGES. The "C" must be capitalized.

Edited by Nagilem
  • Like 1

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

• 11 months later...
The aspect ration of the images must also be 4:3 IIRC.

7-zip is the easiest way if you are doing this manually.

Create KNEEBOARD, then go into KNEEBOARD and create folder IMAGES.

Just drag and drop your images there and exit 7-zip.

Kneeboard ratio seems to be 4:6, aka 400x600, aka 800x1200, aka 1200x1800, etc.

• Thanks 1

Total noob - so opened in WinZip. Created folder "KNEEBOARD/IMAGES", then rezipped. Added ".miz" to end of filename. DCS won't show it in missions. What do I need to do differently? Thanks.

Don't extract the mission files, add stuff, then "re-zip" them using Winzip or Winrar as it will break the mission file.

Rename the mission file to have a ".rar" or ".zip" extension, open it in Winrar or whatever, add the content you want then rename the file back to a ".miz" file when you're finished.

Edited by Hunter_5E

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for reopening this thread, but I can't get this to work 😕

I tried to add my kneeboard images just like @Rudel_chw showed above, but somehow they don't show up when I test my mission.

I created one of the png's with aspect ratio 4:3 (600x800pixels).

The other one, I see now, is 1146x1600 --> could this be the problem? Or is there maybe a size limit?

Strange however that I also can't see the 600x800 one..

any ideas?

2020_12_04_09_43_26.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I haven’t used this in a while, and the kneeboard was recently revamped .. let me test and came back later.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB