How do I use countermeasures?

paura19

I was having the same problem, couldn’t dispense chaff or flares even in bypass mode with a mission i made where i started on the carrier. Then I realized that you need the master arm armed. Maybe you didn’t realize that like me? Also, i use the dispense FWD and AFT switch to dispense in bypass mode. Hope that helps.

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

I was having the same problem, couldn’t dispense chaff or flares even in bypass mode with a mission i made where i started on the carrier. Then I realized that you need the master arm armed.

Bug perhaps? Wouldn't think you would need the master arm on to dispense...I could always be mistaken though.

Not totally sure if a bug or a feature, but when you program ALE-47 dispense programs and decrease amount of chaff/flares from 0, the counter jumps to 100 and can't be put back to 0 with up. Really frustrating if you then have to decrease again 100 times to get back to 0.

Is this intended?

If I want to use a MAN mod and edit release programs , it is not possible on the ground. Only after the take-off, of the ALE-47 report STBY,I can switch to MAN. This is correct ? Or do I make a mistake somewhere?

X-Plane 11 Payware :

Aircraft : Boeing 767-300ER, Airbus 319-100, Airbus 350 XWB, Beechcraft King Air 350, Diamond DA-62

Airport : KATL

Few other countermeasure related bugs;

Total amount of flares is wrong AFAIK, now it's 15 flares per bucket while it should be 30 just like chaff on the F/A-18.

On bypass mode 2 flares are dropped simultaneously isntead of one, is this intended or bug?

Rearming won't load chaff and flares.

Flares take up more space than chaff, so they can only stuff 15 inside the AN/ALE-47 dispenser.

Edited by NPOSuperhornet

For me the AN/ALE-47 always remains in stat "STBY", why?

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Flares take up more space than chaff, so they can only stuff 15 inside the AN/ALE-47 dispenser.

On ALE-47 variants that use square calibres yes, but Hornet uses cylindrical calibres on which chaff and flares are same size so should be 30 flares per bucket.

I found this pdf listing all(?) flares US navy uses and most of them are cylindrical, scroll down to page 14 for IR decoy flares.

http://navybmr.com/study%20material/14313a/14313A_ch4.pdf

Not from F-18, but Hornet uses same CM magazine.

050524-M-9176H-003.jpg

I looked to manual first but nothing about Master Arm that can allow the dispense of flares and chaff :)

Thank Sickdog, it was Master Arm.

ALR-67 = on

Dispencer = on/bypass

EW page

ALW-47 mode= Manual/Semi active

Master Arm = ARM

I come to looking for answer of same problem I met. And, My feel is as same as you.

I checked Manual for several times and entered game several times, finally, I gave up and come to here. Lucky, I found this answer.

We are not in TOP GUN sckool, here is no instructor around me and laughing at me and say: " did you arm?" I can do is looking for answers on Manual, BUT, it is not in Manual , Pity.

• 1 month later...

so all these youtube refuel vids with F/A-18s on the basket, the tanker had an UNSAFED follower all the time? kind of dangerous. what if pilot depresses the trigger by mistake?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

After making my previous post a while back, looked it up. Per the real checklists, master arm looks to have to be on in real life to dispense, there ere applicable warnings in the checklists to hightlight the potential for inadvertant weapons release if chaff flare is dispensed which would suggest it does have to be on.

As far as the arm being unsafe, I would think you still need to be in a master mode and have a weapon selected for the risk to go very high so there are still some failsafes there.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Am I missing something? I can't get the ALE-47 to power on at all. I put the dispenser switch in the on position, and I just keep getting the X over the ALE-47 on the EW page. I've turned master arm on, I've done the BIT on the RWR. What gives?