F/A -18C VR first impression

dburne

Do you get the same kind of performance hit just flying over towns etc? I am not sure if the too many static objects problem reported also applies to building etc or is it just if you add lots of other assets like planes *particularly other FA18s. Anyone know? .... Buildings and built up areas now definitely drop my fps. No problem with this prerelease.

Agree - I now see lower FPS flying over cities (no other objects in the mission) - keeps dipping below 45 FPS every now and then and looking to the side is no longer butter smooth. Hoping it’s fixed in the next update

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree - I now see lower FPS flying over cities (no other objects in the mission) - keeps dipping below 45 FPS every now and then and looking to the side is no longer butter smooth. Hoping it’s fixed in the next update

Thanks for the info. Good to know it isn't just my side of things.

'Leaning out' problem now seems to be persistent.

I had done the Odyssey setup (which is only like keep your Odyssey centered), but no positive result(

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

Hello fellows.

I have not used VR on sim before and the temptation to get one considering the beauty of DCS modules.

I just would like to know how easy it is to use the hotas buttons since one cannot see them. I watch some VR videos and see a lot of gropping trying find either the keyboard or Hotas. It seems to me one has to master the Hotas very well.

Do one get the seance of height like you are actually up?

Is it worth waiting for the 2nd generation of VR, lots of talks about resolution and screen door.

Actually looking at Samsung odyssey windows mixed reality headset.

Your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hello fellows.

I have not used VR on sim before and the temptation to get one considering the beauty of DCS modules.

I just would like to know how easy it is to use the hotas buttons since one cannot see them. I watch some VR videos and see a lot of gropping trying find either the keyboard or Hotas. It seems to me one has to master the Hotas very well.

Is it worth waiting for the 2nd generation of VR, lots of talks about resolution and screen door.

I have no issues, there is a gap between the bridge of your nose. I use the MFDs w/o any issues. If you live near a Microsoft store, BestBuy etc., you can give Odyssey a try and send it back if you don't like it. I've used the Vive, Rift, and Odyssey and kept the Rift. Tracking is better and in DCS, Rift gave me the best clarity. Others like the Odyssey so clearly your mileage may vary.

Yes, you do feel like you're in the cockpit. Yes, you do feel the sensation of speed. Now granted, the resolution is not as great as 4K or UW monitors. But I have a Predator X34 monitor and I do *NOT* fly DCS on it. As pretty as it is, for me VR is the way to go.

It depends on what your definition of 2nd gen VR is. Odyssey, Vive Pros of the world, I would consider them gen 1.5 I don't think we'll see true 2nd gen HMD until next year. But there is a wildcard. Pimax is a few months (best guess) away from releasing their wider field of view, higer resolution with Vive's tracking. I would estimate Aug-Sept-Oct timeframe. But of course, the 4K HMD, their first attempt didn't exactly get rave reviews. I took a chance and kickstart backed it.

Everyone is different. Some of us don't mind the lower resolution because the feeling of "being in the cockpit" is so incredible. Others love the clarity and beauty of 4K monitors.

And finally, HOTAS certainly helps. But using external button boxes etc. is very doable.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hello fellows.

When you use VR, you feel like you are really in the cockpit. The feeling of immersion is simply amazing. You have to try it for yourself to truly understand the full benefits of VR.

But the resolution is roughly equivalent to something similar to playing at 640 x 480 or maybe 800 x 600 if you can live with lower performance to get smoother graphics.

If you already have a PC that can support VR (preferably a 1080 GTX gpu or better) and you have $400 to blow on an Oculus, I highly recommend trying out VR. But it isn't good enough to justify building a new PC and buying a decent gpu at current prices on top of having to buy the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.

Right now, I fly VR at most 50% of the time. If I need to be able to read displays/gauges and/or see air or ground threats clearly or just want to enjoy the great graphics that come with DCS 2.5, I fly on a 46-inch 1080p TV with TrackIR (though I am looking to get a 50 to 60-inch 4k monitor). But when I want of enjoy 1:1 head tracking and "feel" like I am flying, I go with VR. If you can afford it, I recommend maintaining the best of both worlds rather than trying to choose one or the other. Waiting for the 2nd gen is risky: how long until it arrives and what PC will be able to run it with DCS World? I am going to put my money into a large 4K monitor before I commit to 2nd gen VR and a new PC/gpu to support it.

If you are like me, once you have flown VR, you will want the best of both worlds: the resolution/quality of a conventional monitor and the 1:1 tracking/immersion of VR, but what you are left with is having to choose between the lesser of two evils because flying with one option only reminds me of its flaws compared to the other option. I might fly a week of VR only followed by a week of monitor/TrackIR... only to be disappointed by both now that I know what I really want out of a flight sim display.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hansangb and Streakeagle, that was a fast and a very detailed perspective response. Indeed very helpful. Thanks a lot fellows.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Eaglewings

Im in the same camp as Hansangb, I cant not fly a flightsim now without VR at all, I have had my Vive since release and now use it exclusively for sims (DCS, Xplan11, IL2 BOS series, Project cars 2) its the only way to play.

I have a new 37" wide screen monitor and only last night did a flight in the F18 on it with Track IR which was how I used to play DCS, I was back in VR with 5 mins, looking at the flat 2D image was an immersion breaker for me. and it just didn't gel well, I missed the speed the reality of it and seeing what an actual pilots see's. Its the only way to play.

Cheers Hotdognz

Eaglewings

Im in the same camp as Hansangb, I cant not fly a flightsim now without VR at all, I have had my Vive since release and now use it exclusively for sims (DCS, Xplan11, IL2 BOS series, Project cars 2) its the only way to play.

I have a new 37" wide screen monitor and only last night did a flight in the F18 on it with Track IR which was how I used to play DCS, I was back in VR with 5 mins, looking at the flat 2D image was an immersion breaker for me. and it just didn't gel well, I missed the speed the reality of it and seeing what an actual pilots see's. Its the only way to play.

Cheers Hotdognz

I agree. I did the same. I tried Track IR with this module to see what it was like and I just can't fly like that anymore. If the 2nd generation VR is as good as they say it is then I'm not sure Iwill ever be able to function in actual reality anymore :)

Okay guys. I am really hunting for immersion and realism. On the shortcomings of not being able to see targets on the ground very well, does the standard zoom function in-game help in this area?

The zoom helps, but it's a rather weird effect in VR.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Pixel density has a role in how far you see targets i think (im in the process of trying different settings to test), as you bump up resolution the dots of far targets blend easier into the background and actually become less visible, there is a sweet spot wit PD and target visibility. I used to run a PD of 2.0 but found that although things were alot less jaggy it actually effected my far sight. If iwent lower on the PD i could start to see things further out but things were more jaggy.

I found a PD of about 1.2 or 1.3 with MSAA set to about x2 gives you good balance. Downside to this is there is still an area between BVR and close in (roughly around the 4-6mile mark) that stuff tends to dissappear as the dots become painted in their colours and just completley dissappear. This is a nightmare in aircombat.

Apart from aforementioned above there is no comparison to VR.

Edited by (504)Blade

I recommend you try and visit a Microsoft store or sometimes micro center has VR headsets. Try both the rift and the Samsung Odyssey.

I like the rift because the software is more stable but my Rift has been sitting in the closet since I got the odyssey. The Samsung colors in the hmd pop a bit more and the resolution is higher than the rift so cockpits are much easier to read even at the same pixel density as the rift.

Windows wmr is quirky software wise but nothing show stopping. I too have track ir and I tried it again after VR but I also went back to VR because it just didn't feel the same.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Okay guys. I am really hunting for immersion and realism. On the shortcomings of not being able to see targets on the ground very well, does the standard zoom function in-game help in this area?

I just set up a labels file to have dots in grey at certain distance's, this has helped me find targets in VR easier, they turn off at a certain distance for diffrent objects, I found I also had trouble seeing targets on my 37@ monitor when I tried it with Track IR, now for me it seems the high resolution of monitors are having the same target problems as VR they are hard to see, I prefer VR with my labels mod.

I will say the only part thet VR does not work very well in is FOV and when objects are by the sides of the lenses, they can be quite blurry, this happens for me when looking over my shoulder at my wingman, im hoping the Gen 2 will have a wider FOV

Cheers Hotdognz

• 3 weeks later...
Sometimes this happens to me in the odyssey. I have to run the setup again and select the seated position setup. Not sure what causes it but it's always happened in many modules.

The solution was very easy for me - I just turned on the light in my room. Dark rooms creates confusion for the tracking devices of the Odyssey.

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

The solution was very easy for me - I just turned on the light in my room. Dark rooms creates confusion for the tracking devices of the Odyssey.
Yea light needs to be on. But often I have it happen when the light is already on. I could brighten it more but it's one of these smart lights so it can only be set so bright.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I recommend you try and visit a Microsoft store or sometimes micro center has VR headsets. Try both the rift and the Samsung Odyssey.

I like the rift because the software is more stable but my Rift has been sitting in the closet since I got the odyssey. The Samsung colors in the hmd pop a bit more and the resolution is higher than the rift so cockpits are much easier to read even at the same pixel density as the rift.

Windows wmr is quirky software wise but nothing show stopping. I too have track ir and I tried it again after VR but I also went back to VR because it just didn't feel the same.

I am intrigued, I bought the rift when they first came out and being a ground pounder after about 12 months with the rift I sold it and went back to track IR, the visuals in VR were just not up to standard, trying to see targets from an A10C at angels 8 was impossible. Texture quality was really poor also, even with max game settings

I would be interested to see some videos of the Samsung with DCS

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I am intrigued, I bought the rift when they first came out and being a ground pounder after about 12 months with the rift I sold it and went back to track IR, the visuals in VR were just not up to standard, trying to see targets from an A10C at angels 8 was impossible. Texture quality was really poor also, even with max game settings

Cheers Specter

Not a problem for me with the correct VR settings and using VR Zoom (binos like the pros us). I think you bumped out too soon.

Cheers Specter

I don't have any issues spotting targets although I have a pretty strong system and I run pixel density of 1.5 in the Odyssey with most settings on high except civ traffic off and shadows medium.

It's tough to see videos of the odyssey becuase it's hard to get actual VR recording at the same quality the person sees through the lenses.