F/A -18C VR first impression

dburne

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathtaking in VR. Stuck it on free flight and went scooting around the wide streets of Dubai. Got snagged on a pylon once damn it but dusted myself down and soon shot off out to sea to buzz the oil tankers. Decided to ramp the graphics right up. Oh my. Still the same incredible performance. Had almost everything on full. In VR! I even forced the wife to take a look. She loved the sunset and the towering city blocks as they started lighting up as dusk descended ...wow. On higher detail I could see detailed pleasure boats bobbing around the straits. So, now, off to the carrier. Quickly disabled the over-fussy labels as I dropped the hook and gear. Wound down the detail a tad before my making my first attempt. Noticed a little more lag starting to appear when on high detail. Also noticed a helo hovering off the carrier watching me as zipped in and snagged a wire first time. What a rush. Now this is going to be fun...

I7 4790k, Strix 1080Ti, Rift & Warthog

Finally decided to take a chance at the Case I. Sheesh. I had to call it off 3 times before I was able to snag the 4th wire again. I'm cutting it too close. :) Power management is making this very interesting. I'm loving this.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Cant wait to give it a go after work on my Vive (once I have set up my HOTAS). Sadly being in AU and the nearly 3am release of the update I have only had time this morning to update DCS and download the plane and now I have 8 hrs in work :(

Anyone else use a Vive and can comment on it in VR?

Ok, took a while to get it sorted and bindings done. Thoroughly enjoyable to just blast around in the Black Sea mountains. Great sounds, inside and out. Great model. Good tutorials (only done some).

Landed on the Stennis first try trapped a 3 wire. Only problem I’m finding so far is I’m only getting 22 fps and that’s without targets. And tried firing weapons yet. Mostly it’s ok, unless I’m on or near land where it really quite juddery

Anyone tried getting down proper low at sea level yet? Lol it’s really, really fast. Doesn’t look anywhere near as fast on land though.

And I agree, in vr, it looks amazing

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

For those with 1080 Tis, are you running with MSAA? Are your frame rates OK when landing at Kobuleti in the VFR landing training mission?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Fantastic cockpit in VR indeed.

I noticed two drawbacks though, not sure if they are related specifically to F/A-18. I am using the Odyssey:

- when I lean towards an instrument or a panel, I can get two opposite results; either I get closer (zoom in) or the cabin kinda 'keeps the distance' away from me

- if I get the 'closer look' result (my preferred one), I can easily look 'outside' of cockpit, as if it was an open window in a car

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals

Just did my first launch off cat 1 in VR. AMAZING!! This truly is a fighter pilot's fighter jet. Can't believe the HUD scaling!! Coming from the A-10C with its tiny HUD characters - this thing is perfect.

Edited by shawnyp420

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS X570-PLUS, NVidia RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 @2400MHz, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Corsair H100i cooler, Oculus Rift S.

I have seen VR flight sims that stop you leaning out through the canopy, but they can make even the hardiest of VR stomachs a little queezy and do use more resources. Maybe just imposing your own limit on leaning out too far will be the bestwayto go. It does sound like you might have a bit of a tracking issue though.

Fantastic cockpit in VR indeed.

I noticed two drawbacks though, not sure if they are related specifically to F/A-18. I am using the Odyssey:

- when I lean towards an instrument or a panel, I can get two opposite results; either I get closer (zoom in) or the cabin kinda 'keeps the distance' away from me

- if I get the 'closer look' result (my preferred one), I can easily look 'outside' of cockpit, as if it was an open window in a car

I am not seeing that effect in the Rift.

Leaning into the instruments results in consistently closer view.

Also agree with poster above, leaning in and cockpit moving away is usually a tracking issue.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

:pilotfly:SSSSSSWWWWWEEEEEETTTTT

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

So if I understand you correctly, you have two different types of DCS you play on? Which one do you normally use and apart from Early Access, it is useful to download and install "open beta" on my computer too??

Open beta is version 2.5.2.xxx. Release is 2.5.0. I have both installed because I also use a multiplayer server that's only on 2.5.0 release so they don't get nailed from changes or bugs in the open beta.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here - I'm on GTX 1070 and down to 20-25fps on cold start missions in F-18 (both, on Caucasus and Persian Golf).

Low fps in VR on the Cauc. cold start mission because the Airbase is filled with objects.

EDIT: It's been reported that the static Hornets have a big fps hit right now. Im sure ED will get it squared away.

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Finally decided to take a chance at the Case I. Sheesh. I had to call it off 3 times before I was able to snag the 4th wire again. I'm cutting it too close. :) Power management is making this very interesting. I'm loving this.

I haven't read the manual yet, and my memory's a bit fuzzy as it's been more than 30 years since I wrote GE engine manuals for the F404-GE-400, but I seem to remember a system on the engine called the PLC (Power Landing Control) or something. I believe it was to control engine thrust during a carrier landing. That was on the F/A-18A and B. Maybe it was found to be ineffective and removed, or just hasn't been modeled.

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I haven't read the manual yet, and my memory's a bit fuzzy as it's been more than 30 years since I wrote GE engine manuals for the F404-GE-400, but I seem to remember a system on the engine called the PLC (Power Landing Control) or something. I believe it was to control engine thrust during a carrier landing. That was on the F/A-18A and B. Maybe it was found to be ineffective and removed, or just hasn't been modeled.

nah. I think it's me. My throttle work needs work. :)

Not sure if it's implemented now?

Many pilots IRL do not use it as it can cause negative training as it's almost backwards to pitch for speed throttle for GS. You get graded / tested not using the auto throttle.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yeah, that's a real possibility. I left the Technical Publications Unit in 1986 before the F/A-18A and B even they went into production.

I loaded up the carrier takeoff instant action mission, and was immediately greeted with about 23fps... Not exactly what I had been hoping for. However, once I got airborn and flying around, I was at a smooth 45fps all the way, until I came in for my landing, where it dropped back down to 23 or so.

Created a mission to place a carrier and my F/A-18C to work on takeoffs and landings, and wouldn't you know it, 45fps, butter smooth. All the extra deck clutter is eating performance right now.

I loaded up the carrier takeoff instant action mission, and was immediately greeted with about 23fps... Not exactly what I had been hoping for. However, once I got airborn and flying around, I was at a smooth 45fps all the way, until I came in for my landing, where it dropped back down to 23 or so.

Created a mission to place a carrier and my F/A-18C to work on takeoffs and landings, and wouldn't you know it, 45fps, butter smooth. All the extra deck clutter is eating performance right now.

Well, it makes sense.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

OMG!!

So loaded up a takeoff instant action mission over Persian Gulf. First time I was dropped into the cockpit I was so blown away. This thing in VR is gorgeous! I mean drop dead gorgeous!!

So first I amazed myself by successfully taxiing to the runway, and taking off without breaking anything. Flaps up, gear up, and I was off sightseeing over the Persian Gulf. Had a little fun with the afterburners, and a couple of loops. Even made stomach a little queasy the first time, it seemed so real.

Made some low speed passes, checked out some exterior views - man that fly by sound, you gotta hear it - absolutely incredible!

So finally instead of hitting escape, I thought why not. Picked a nearby runway, and started an approach. Got below 200, down around 150. Flaps down, check. Gear down, check.

Lined up to the runway, and greased her in for the most part. I was stunned, at this first successful attempt.

At low speed this baby is very docile, especially with flaps down.

What a ride! And what a gorgeous bird!

Now to the meat, to actually start learning some of the systems and see where I can progress. I can tell you I am now highly motivated!

I agree, really cool. Bravo ED, it’s looking great, especially for EA!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]