What's the point of the release version? [rant]

Sybreed

1. open windows explorer and move to the folder where you have DCS World installed.

2. Select the bin folder, don't open it and hold down the Shift key while right clicking on the bin folder

3. You will then see a menu with either something like "open powershell window here" or "open cmd prompt here", depending upon the version of windows you have. select whichever one you have

4. If it is the cmd variant, go to 5 below. if it is the powershell variant, type "cmd" and hit return

5. Type "DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta" and hit return

6 click Yes if you need to and that should download the openbeta version of the software and install it over the top of your release version

7. if you need to go back to the release version, repeat steps 1-4 above and then type

"DCS_updater.exe update @release"

I hope this helps

Thanks for this. It is a nice simplified explanation than what was originally listed in the old thread. It is condensed in a few steps and therefore, much easier to follow :)

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

1. open windows explorer and move to the folder where you have DCS World installed.

2. Select the bin folder, don't open it and hold down the Shift key while right clicking on the bin folder

3. You will then see a menu with either something like "open powershell window here" or "open cmd prompt here", depending upon the version of windows you have. select whichever one you have

4. If it is the cmd variant, go to 5 below. if it is the powershell variant, type "cmd" and hit return

6 click Yes if you need to and that should download the openbeta version of the software and install it over the top of your release version

7. if you need to go back to the release version, repeat steps 1-4 above and then type

I hope this helps[/quote

Thank for your exsplanation..

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

So what’s the issue, Just install Beta only. That way you only have one install, get all the modules and maps early and don’t have to wait for everything. Sure sometimes it’s a bit buggy but that’s a small price to pay for early access.

I haven’t had stable installed for years,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I still don't understand how they do their release management. But I wish they would look at a better release management methodology. I though 2.5.1 would fold in the main branch before they start pushing new content in. Because now it means it will take quite a bit cycle before they roll anything in the release branch.

It seems that since the alpha branch is gone the release is just a snapshot in time. So I am not sure what the main release branch purpose is or even if it should exist if it's not being handle in a separate delivery pipeline than the development pipeline.

I still don't understand how they do their release management. But I wish they would look at a better release management methodology. I though 2.5.1 would fold in the main branch before they start pushing new content in. Because now it means it will take quite a bit cycle before they roll anything in the release branch.

It seems that since the alpha branch is gone the release is just a snapshot in time. So I am not sure what the main release branch purpose is or even if it should exist if it's not being handle in a separate delivery pipeline than the development pipeline.

neither do i understand at the moment.

to be honest, i am very frustrated right now, because i assumed the steam release of the f-18 and persian gulf came with the appropriate release branch patch.

right now, i feel that the open beta is internaly seen as release, only that ED holds on to the beta nomenclature to have an excuse for bugs etc.

"release" branch seems to be more of an alibi at this point...

i don't have any problems with waiting for new features and modules. i'm not interested in early access.

it is just that after 2.5 and the great merge, the release branch is still in dire need for patching to adress the biggest issues...

neither do i understand at the moment.

to be honest, i am very frustrated right now, because i assumed the steam release of the f-18 and persian gulf came with the appropriate release branch patch.

right now, i feel that the open beta is internaly seen as release, only that ED holds on to the beta nomenclature to have an excuse for bugs etc.

"release" branch seems to be more of an alibi at this point...

i don't have any problems with waiting for new features and modules. i'm not interested in early access.

it is just that after 2.5 and the great merge, the release branch is still in dire need for patching to adress the biggest issues...

ED has push out a lot in the Beta the last few weeks, not including releasing 2.5 only four months ago. I'm sure it will settle down soon and the hornet PG beta with all these new sim updates will move to stable. It's much better now in the sim, it was just a big step up to where the core sim is now! Looking good so far. It will be moved to stable soon I'm guessing and there will possibly be more of a fork between the release and beta moving forward, now the hornet and pg map is out.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

ED has push out a lot in the Beta the last few weeks, not including releasing 2.5 only four months ago. I'm sure it will settle down soon and the hornet PG beta with all these new sim updates will move to stable. It's much better now in the sim, it was just a big step up to where the core sim is now! Looking good so far. It will be moved to stable soon I'm guessing and there will possibly be more of a fork between the release and beta moving forward, now the hornet and pg map is out.

All cute and dandy as answer but I write and architect code for a living this ain't normal release management. I say that because I believe they can do better and I want them to succeed

I will say that dcs is the best combat flight simulator as of 2018 and I very much enjoy playing it. I still think the release could be managed better and have a better focus on hardening their release before adding more variables to the mix.

This platform is extremely complex and constantly evolving, with no end… there is nothing out there to really compare. There is definitely a method to their madness. I would not second guess the DCS distribution model, its easy and straight forward giving the user many choices.

All of the references to editing with the command line stuff are completely unnecessary. Just install both versions and make sure they don't get installed in the same, base "DCSWorld***" folder and you're good to go. Compatible modules can then be easily installed and activated on both, without burning 2 activations. There's no need to make this more complicated than it is by messing with the command line editing. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

All of the references to editing with the command line stuff are completely unnecessary. Just install both versions and make sure they don't get installed in the same, base "DCSWorld***" folder and you're good to go. Compatible modules can then be easily installed and activated on both, without burning 2 activations. There's no need to make this more complicated than it is by messing with the command line editing. :D

You need to realize that not everyone wants two instances of a 100Gb program on their SSD...

This is the only reason why people opt for the Command Prompt method.

:lol: Kinda funny that you stated that with so much confidence, as if nobody here thought this through hahaha! :lol:

(don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of you, but laughing of the situation)

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

You need to realize that not everyone wants two instances of a 100Gb program on their SSD...

This is the only reason why people opt for the Command Prompt method.

:lol: Kinda funny that you stated that with so much confidence, as if nobody here thought this through hahaha! :lol:

(don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of you, but laughing of the situation)

Actually, I'm speaking from the standpoint of being one of the guys who thought it wasn't possible to run both versions on the same machine without them conflicting with each other. I got that way because that is how it used to be with this sim. I tried what I tried based on a "What the hell...you wanna live forever?", so I'm just sharing information. In my job in the aviation world, its not uncommon to see things being made more difficult than they have to be based on outdated information. If people are doing it for the reasons you say they are, then I'm sure they'll be able to figure that one out on their own, right? :smilewink:

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The release version is nothing more than the original open beta version 2.5.0 that was frozen after ED determined that the bugs in it weren't going to break anything. As far as I know, there is one reason for having the open beta version and the release version (notice I didn't say "stable" version). The release version is used by multiplayer servers and solo players that don't want to run the risk of an update to the open beta breaking the sim. The open beta version is used by those who want the latest fixes and releases such as the Persian Gulf map and the Hornet. ED will release new content to the open beta first to make sure it has no bugs that can break the sim. After they determine it won't break anything, they will "release"it to the release version. When ED is satisfied with the state of the open beta, they will freeze that version and use it to update the release version. They will then resume updating the open beta version.

It seems to me that most of the confusion stems from users not reading the descriptions of the two versions, that and their angst that the map and Hornet have been released only on the beta.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

The release version is nothing more than the original open beta version 2.5.0 that was frozen after ED determined that the bugs in it weren't going to break anything. As far as I know, there is one reason for having the open beta version and the release version (notice I didn't say "stable" version). The release version is used by multiplayer servers and solo players that don't want to run the risk of an update to the open beta breaking the sim. The open beta version is used by those who want the latest fixes and releases such as the Persian Gulf map and the Hornet. ED will release new content to the open beta first to make sure it has no bugs that can break the sim. After they determine it won't break anything, they will "release"it to the release version. When ED is satisfied with the state of the open beta, they will freeze that version and use it to update the release version. They will then resume updating the open beta version.

It seems to me that most of the confusion stems from users not reading the descriptions of the two versions, that and their angst that the map and Hornet have been released only on the beta.

Again that would be true if release 2.5 was stable but it is not . Campaigns have a lot of issues multiplayer is very unstable. The loading server side is terrible. 2.5 to me is an unstable snapshot...

"Stable" versions of software have always been found to have bugs in them. Then updates/patches are released. Some of which fix the problem, and some which create more problems than they solve. The approach that ED is using here is to make their continued development of the sim available to everybody, instead of a select few on a testers team. That way, the sim is run on a more diverse array of hardware, by a more diverse selection of technical skills among users. Bugs get squashed quicker that way, and its a reasonable alternative to hosting multiple versions on their web-site so you can backload if a new beta does something you don't like. I haven't seen a sim yet that was perfect the day it was released to the public. Just run both versions alongside each other and you can decide which one works best for you at that particular time. They've made it much easier to do this than it has been in the past.

On the other hand, the users may be abusing the Beta release then, this may sound radical, a combination of artificial limits such as a lottery and/or paywall, or purchases on shop would increase chances, may solve it and then it would be used by people who actually would do some testing rather than using it for purely enjoyment.

This mad dash for the latest isn't the most healthy one imo. There was a time I was excited too, it's just a period when I do involve more with DCS than with anythign else, right now I had a ton of other stuff so I already uninstalled the beta and will settle down with release for this year going forward.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

What is the general opinion on having which version,? I am currently thinking of deleting stable version. It is important especially for the mp servers side

Are patches coming to stable version by not tested on ob first ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

What is the general opinion on having which version,? I am currently thinking of deleting stable version. It is important especially for the mp servers side

Are patches coming to stable version by not tested on ob first ?

Despite the tradition of what beta and stable software versioning in software would mean in other software; currently for DCS people are using what suits them best†, so I think it's for the individual to make up their mind which version to use; perhaps there's a feature you wish to take advantage of, currently as of this post the F-18 was available only through beta, perhaps another module only has a moving map on test in beta and so on.

No software will be completely bug free, all code sucks to some degree, it's just some code sucks less than others, so use the bleeding edge versions with the understanding that not only 'There Be Dragons', but that by not having the availability of a public beta branch; they'll be fewer eyes on the software and therefore those few individuals that send comprehensive bug reports will be limited to in-house.

†Which is great; so long as users understand that usually with concurrent stable and beta releases of software - not just DCS - beta is more prone to change, due to it being a test-bed, before being considered for merge into the stable branch.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Hi folks,

I still haven't downloaded the open beta, hence, I cannot enjoy the F/A 18 like most of you. How long does it normally take ED to release planes or maps on the stable/ normal DCS after they have been released on the early access? A week? A month? A year?

Greetings to you all

I hope this helps

This is what pops up when I get to step 5 ; "'DCS_updater.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

What else can I do? I am not that good with computers. Sorry guys:(:(:)

Hi folks,

I still haven't downloaded the open beta, hence, I cannot enjoy the F/A 18 like most of you. How long does it normally take ED to release planes or maps on the stable/ normal DCS after they have been released on the early access? A week? A month? A year?

Greetings to you all

That's a question no one will be able to answer. The Persian Gulf map and the Hornet are the first new developments to be added to 2.5.xxx beta. ED hasn't added any new modules to the 2.5 Release version since it was released, so we have no historical data on which to base an estimate.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Hi folks,

Greetings to you all

You can download and install the Open Beta just like you did with the Stable. The 2 of them run independently now, so you don't have to worry about the Open Beta messing with your Stable install. That way you can enjoy the F/A-18C without having to wait until they have the Beta far enough along to offer an update to the Stable. If you're fine with having both versions on your machine at the same time, you won't have to do any command line editing. You also don't have to worry about using an extra activation for your modules.

If you have enough space instal them both, Beta and Stable, then you can run stable to see what is "finished" and Beta to see what is being planned and tried out. When they have tweeked it to their satisfaction and its deemed 'finished' it goes to a Stable update.

If they are both on the same machine, and using the exact same settings, you are going to get a pretty good idea what your machine can cope with, and what its struggling with, in both versions, so it will be easy to decide what to play for fun, and what to play around with for information and learning.