OT: Rainy Day

Look at the glide slope indicators on the left and right sides of the runway. For anyone who has eothe flew a GA plane in RL or has played MSFS, you will know that 2 red and 2 white lights means your on the proper glide path.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

That's Kai Tak Intl, old Hong Kong airport...that particular non precision approach is well known in civil aviation. Here is an article from wikipedia about landing on runway 13. Regarding the landing footage I can say it was perfect...as Aeroscout mentioned, the plane was right on the correct glidepath when looking at PAPI on the runway.

The landing approach using runway 13 at Kai Tak was distinctive. To land on runway 13, an aircraft first took a descent heading northeast. The aircraft would pass over the harbour, and then the very densely populated areas on Western Kowloon. This leg of the approach was guided by an IGS (Instrument Guidance System, a modified ILS) after 1974. Upon reaching a small hill marked with a checkerboard in red and white, which is being marked as a middle marker in the final approach, the pilot needed to make a 47° visual right turn to line up with the runway and complete the final leg. The aircraft would be just two nautical miles from touchdown, at a height of less than 1000 ft when the turn was made. Typically the plane would enter the final right turn at the height of about 650 ft and exit it at the height of 140 ft to line up with the runway. Landing the 13 approach is already difficult with normal crosswinds since even if the wind direction is constant, it is changing relative to the airplane when the 47° visual right turn is being made. The landing would become even more challenging when crosswinds from the northeast were strong and gusty during typhoons. The mountain range northeast of the airport also makes wind vary greatly in both speed and direction; thus, varying the lift of the airplane. This approach was used most of the time due to the prevailing wind direction in Hong Kong.

...as Aeroscout mentioned, the plane was right on the correct glidepath when looking at PAPI on the runway.

PAPI, that's the word i was looking for... thanks! :thumbup:

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Yep, it's Kai Tak, which was closed in 1998. I think the immersion of slow&steep approach and landings is just due camera zoom.. On touchdown the jet seems to be going at a walking pace:D

Gotta say, that's one nasty approach!

Actually i have been a passenger onboard a 747 landing at Kai Tak runway 13 many years ago.

On a flight from Copenhagen to Tokyo via Geneva, Karachi, Bangkok, and Hong Kong and i can tell you i had the immersion that the plane would try to land on one of the flat top Buildings below.

The weather was like on the video, rainy and windy, i was sitting at the window on the right side just in front of the wing and to me it looked like the Captain tryed hard to rip off some of the many TV antennas below with the wingtip.

I can tell you It left an impression who lasts to this day. :D

Oh bay... I'm going on a 747 trip this summer too.... well, i'll just pretend i'm fooling arround in lockon again :D

That reminds me of Leaving Miami Intl. and banking hard right over the everglades..

That wasn't a fun trip either...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Ya, i can imagian, especially because you dont know your pilot and thus, you subconsious can't trust him/her. just my thought. i like to be in control. :D