Format your PC, it could make all the difference.

I'm wondering how everyone's PC's are holding up now that the Persian Gulf Map and the F18 are rolling out?

One thing I just wanted to share with people, although this does take time and effort but completely erasing your hard drive, doing a fresh install of windows 10 pro (which is free), then installing all the windows updates, vid card driver, sound driver, DCS....

Not only do you wipe all viruses and garbage but your PC is up and running with a fresh copy of windows 10, no bloatware from old versions of windows, etc but your games run noticeably faster, including DCS.

I realize that it's a pain in the ass to back everything up, and do it... but hey... you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

If you've got nothing else to do with your time, it might be a good idea. :doh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

If you've got nothing else to do with your time, it might be a good idea. :doh:

The format itself, and installing windows doesn't take too long at all, it's the windows updates that take forever, and depending on your internet connection it could be a wait. Again though, a little bit of pain and suffering leaves you with a much faster PC.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

I'm using M2-SSDs in my PC. Running TRIM regularly and wiping the garbage from your system, makes a new install a waste of time - unless it's ages since your last install. But then your bigger problem should be your ancient hardware. :)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I'm using M2-SSDs in my PC. Running TRIM regularly and wiping the garbage from your system, makes a new install a waste of time - unless it's ages since your last install. But then your bigger problem should be your ancient hardware. :)

Yeah agreed if it's ages or big issues, a format is the way to go. What's TRIM?

Yeah agreed if it's ages or big issues, a format is the way to go. What's TRIM?

Since now most people use a SSD or M.2 drive for the OS and Windows 10 users have there operating system on a USB Flash drive formatting is way quicker. But remember eventually you will end up at the same point down the road. Better to just Defrag (Only if you have a HDD), Trim and clean up your windows before you decide to format and reinstall. If you are having problems fresh installs don't always work and fix the problem and if they do it can be temporary.

Also if a fresh install fixed a issue then you could have avoided the issue by searching possible fixes or asking around.

Edited by iKyrThraad993i

If one feels it's really absolutely necessary to wipe the drive and reinstall Win to its initial state, on a regular basis†; then I could save you some time.

• Format the drive and reinstall Win.
  • Install the service packages and updates, restart however many times.
  • Recheck for any required updates - restart if prompted. Win is great like that.
  • Clone the drive, I recommend Clonezilla.‡

So now, when you feel the need to bring Win back to a raw state, you can do a 'bare-metal' restore, which will run through like a Mig-21 on reheat, compared to a regular reinstall of Win the conventional way§.

†Arguments aside for how well this works.

‡Clone the drive when there's nothing but the up to date Windows and nothing more installed.

§You will still need to recheck for updates after restoring a cloned drive, as it will be minus any updates that were pushed out my MS, post the date you cloned the drive.

-- edit --

I should also add; that you can clone a drive at any point, so you could install DCS World, all the modules and then clone it, mitigating the need to redownload it all.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Windows 10 should have a feature like all windows to take a snapshot/recovery image that you can use to bring back to a certain state.

Say you install all your drivers and everything you create a recovery image. Then when you want to format just use that recovery image and you wont have to install all those drivers again and so on.

A Fast PC...

Well a fresh install is the first step to a fast PC but you need all those other programs like Office and others so the solution is fresh install with only DCS and VirtualBox from Oracle or VMware Workstation or VirtualPC from Microsoft to use Linux for browsing the net and windows XP Virtual Machine for Office and other great software...if you dont know what is Virtual Machines software just search on it.

My PC has only Windows 8.1 Pro DCS Windows store apps and VMware Workstation 12 Pro...remember Virtual Machines require virtualization cpus has core i7 and others to fast speed Virtual Machines.

With this configuration windows 8.1 runing almost has a fresh install... DCS is fast because you can shutdown virtual machines and run only windows 8.1 as i do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

Once you have a hammer, all problems appear to be nails.

I am not too confident that this is a wise idea, for a few reasons.

And it wont take long to install Win10 updates at all, there are like 3 or 4 of them, that's it.

As a timeline frame.

I did that last week, sub 2h for all incl. DCS 2.5 + OB.

check ninite.com if you install a lot of OS's. Saves HOURS.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Since now most people use a SSD or M.2 drive for the OS and Windows 10 users have there operating system on a USB Flash drive formatting is way quicker. But remember eventually you will end up at the same point down the road. Better to just Defrag (Only if you have a HDD), Trim and clean up your windows before you decide to format and reinstall. If you are having problems fresh installs don't always work and fix the problem and if they do it can be temporary.

Also if a fresh install fixed a issue then you could have avoided the issue by searching possible fixes or asking around.

One likely falls into the same pitfall with the new install.

Not knowing what caused the instability doesnt classify for a reinstall per se. You should then only install core parts..and then bit by bit and test thoroughly when the bad part comes back etc..

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just out of curiosity: what do you mean with "it's free"?

When you upgraded from Win7 to 10, it was offered as a free upgrade. And if you logged in with you MS account, you can blow away the PC and reinstall w/o having to pay for the license again.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1