2.5.1 Night Lighting

So What do u think guys of the new lighting, i saw some improvement over Nevada but still it seems like the whole map is lit not a result of light sources. especially when i turn on the taxi lights of my F15c they dont light up much!

Seems like it improved in the overall brightness, as now it's not pitch black, but there are still some things that need tweaking I guess.

Specially runway lights; you can barely see them unless you're quite close or zoomed in. Same with aircraft lights.

Only tested Nevada so far. Maybe it's map-related somehow; I'd swear I read somewhere they're trying out new things on the new SOH map; and the night screenshots I saw are just incredible so far. Hope that same lighting system is applied everywhere soon.

Had some trouble yesterday with the A-10C and night flying on the Caucasus map. Taxi/Takeoff lights were also super dim, plus on top of that the A-10C's flood lights don't seem to work. Runway lights at threshold were very dim as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

I flew some night flights last night to test and it still needs work. I do think we have not seen all the current tweaks until we get our hands on PGM as I recall them saying they are using that map to work on the night lighting then bring those changes to the others maps. I know we have seen some of the fixes, moon is back, in last update but they still have work to do.

One thing that seems to plague VR users at night is posterization. It just screams out and not sure what is going on in their engine causing it. I have other titles that do night and they do not suffer from the extreme posterization and banding as DCS shows. I hope they put some serious dev time into getting night time dialed in. I also hope they continue to work on their object lighting. There are many areas for improvement still and even adding some color correction for accuracy would be nice to see, especially for Dubai and Vegas and the major cities where more than just 2 or 3 colors of lights are used. We need purples and greens and blues where applicable..ect, in addition to the amber road and ground lighting that is common. The object lighting with the environment lighting really needs to both be pushed further.

But they are makin progress for sure. They just need to keep pushing and not just settling for mediocre, which has been the case with night lighting for years when a bit of effort and focus can result in a stellar result. I keep my fingers crossed one day we can all say, DCS has the best night time environment in the flight sim genre period. Just not able to now.

Edited by Torso

I did the SU-25T ''Difficult Landing'' training mission and that stuff is incredibly dark, and you cannot by any means see the runway since it hasn't any lights turned on in that mission. And lighting in and on the aircraft is too dim also. The anti collision lights on the wings are barely visible, you really need to look for them from inside the cockpit, and the red front dash light (L) looks way to weak as well, like there is some kind of filter applied to it. I did the same mission in 1.5.8 and there all lights on the airfield and in and on the aircraft were as they should be. Needs more tweaking in 2.5.1.

It was announced that night lighting is being improved greatly starting with Persian gulf map.

There has been some screenshots posted in a weekend update a while ago. I've been hoping someone with the alpha f18 + gulf map would post some night videos. I haven't seen one yet. I hope someone does as it would be good to see in video the improvements coming.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

beside the night lighting, runway lights need to be improved badly.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I think the airbase lighting is due for a fix soon, there are issues with the player plane being completely black and not casting any shadows when all around is lit by flood lights, in general the shading model is excellent, but it's an on going process to fix all these little cosmetic problems.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP