Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

Yes, usually the first time I load a mission, or if fpsvr is running

Hmm, I get the same thing too but the wierd thing is DCS don't CTD just SteamVR.. I will try and run fpsVR and see if it crashes when I have that running.. maybe it is fpsVR Program causing issues..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi guys! I have been away from DCS for the past 4 years and now that VR seems workable, I decided to take the splurge and get the Reverb. Before I upgrade all the other hardware, I was trying to see what it takes to get DCS to work at all in VR. I seem to be stuck at ground zero so I would appreciate some help since I can't find a description to start VR elsewhere in the forums here.

Essentially, it isn't clear to me what steps I am supposed to take to run the game in VR. I assume that I need to start the Mixed Reality Portal first, which I did, but to then start the game, I have to exit from VR mode to access the Desktop to start DCS World. So, I put the headset down and started DCS World and went into Options where I chose the VR tab and checked the Enable Virtual Reality Headset option along with the Use Mouse option. From there, I clicked OK and clicked the A-10C icon to start the game.

Well, all that did was start the game on my desktop. I put the headset back on and The Mixed Reality Portal was saying that I need to use Win-Y to switch back into the VR mode. But that does nothing and the game continues to appear within a window on the Desktop monitor.

I know I am missing something really basic here. I see a lot of discussions pertain to using Steam software, but I am not interested in multiplayer at this time so I don't have any Steam software loaded. Can someone help me?

Edited by bigbear

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Hi guys! I have been away from DCS for the past 4 years and now that VR seems workable, I decided to take the splurge and get the Reverb. Before I upgrade all the other hardware, I was trying to see what it takes to get DCS to work at all in VR. I seem to be stuck at ground zero so I would appreciate some help since I can't find a description to start VR elsewhere in the forums here.

Essentially, it isn't clear to me what steps I am supposed to take to run the game in VR. I assume that I need to start the Mixed Reality Portal first, which I did, but to then start the game, I have to exit from VR mode to access the Desktop to start DCS World. So, I put the headset down and started DCS World and went into Options where I chose the VR tab and checked the Enable Virtual Reality Headset option along with the Use Mouse option. From there, I clicked OK and clicked the A-10C icon to start the game.

Well, all that did was start the game on my desktop. I put the headset back on and The Mixed Reality Portal was saying that I need to use Win-Y to switch back into the VR mode. But that does nothing and the game continues to appear within a window on the Desktop monitor.

I know I am missing something really basic here. I see a lot of discussions pertain to using Steam software, but I am not interested in multiplayer at this time so I don't have any Steam software loaded. Can someone help me?

Well if it is in fact a WMR Headset you need to download and install Windows Mixed Reality for Steam and Steam VR..

Then you run WMR for Steam and steam vr should run also then run DCS and it should go into VR mode as long as it is checked in the DCS SEttings..

You do NOT need the Steam Version of DCS.. just those two programs to get it all working together..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Well if it is in fact a WMR Headset you need to download and install Windows Mixed Reality for Steam and Steam VR..

Then you run WMR for Steam and steam vr should run also then run DCS and it should go into VR mode as long as it is checked in the DCS SEttings..

You do NOT need the Steam Version of DCS.. just those two programs to get it all working together..

Hmm, I get the same thing too but the wierd thing is DCS don't CTD just SteamVR.. I will try and run fpsVR and see if it crashes when I have that running.. maybe it is fpsVR Program causing issues..

Well I do beleive it is fpsVR Causing the Crashes of SteamVR.. I will see if I can report this to fpsVR Gurus..

I’ve never had a SteamVR crash, with or without fpsVR.

What versions of these 2 apps are you running?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’ve never had a SteamVR crash, with or without fpsVR.

What versions of these 2 apps are you running?

1. SteamVR 1.9.16

2. fpsVR 1.12

3. Windows 10 Pro 1909

I think SteamVR 1.10.6 and fpsVR 1.13 are the latest versions. That’s what I am on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I am still unable to get VR to work. I installed Steam and SteamVR as you advised. I then do the following in the order below:

Test #1:

Run Steam.

Launch SteamVR from the Steam window.

SteamVR tells me to plug in my headset. (It was actually already plugged in.)

At this point, nothing appears in my headset. I run DCS World from the Desktop and the game appears on my monitor, but nothing in my headset.

I choose the Option menu to ensure that VR is selected.

I click on the A10 icon and select Instant Action.

I select Free Flight from the menu that opens and click FLY from the next screen that opens.

The game appears in a window on my Desktop. Nothing at all appears in the headset. The screen is totally black.

Test #2:

I then tried a new test by running the Mixed Reality Portal as the first step. The hilltop house appears along with a pop-up in the headset that says that input is being directed to the desktop and not the headset.

It says that to switch to the headset, I must press Win-Y.

Again, I run Steam from the Desktop and launch SteamVr from it.

I then go through the menus to run the A10C as described earlier in Test #1.

The game starts, but stays on the Desktop. The Mixed Reality Portal hilltop house continues to appear in the headset, but the game remains on the Desktop window. I press Win-Y, but nothing happens.

I feel like I am missing a step somewhere. What is peculiar is that my computer crashed a number of times after starting A10C, but as of now, it is running, but nothing appears in the headset.

Edited by bigbear

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

You need to install and run "Windows Mixed reality for SteamVR".. Dont use the windows MR.

Edited by The_Nephilim

I think SteamVR 1.10.6 and fpsVR 1.13 are the latest versions. That’s what I am on.

Are you sure they are not the Betas.. I just checked and 1.12 is the latest for fpsvr??

Yes, they are the betas. My advice is always use them. If something is not to your liking, then it takes less than a minute to switch back!

Only once over several years have I had a problem with a SteamVR beta. Even then, they fixed the issue the next day.

Yes, they are the betas. My advice is always use them. If something is not to your liking, then it takes less than a minute to switch back!

Only once over several years have I had a problem with a SteamVR beta. Even then, they fixed the issue the next day.

Yes I just tried the beta of steamvr it seemed to have fixed it so far..

Also I was told to start SteamVR first does it matter which I run first "SteamVR" or "WMR for SteamVR"?

Yes I just tried the beta of steamvr it seemed to have fixed it so far..

Also I was told to start SteamVR first does it matter which I run first "SteamVR" or "WMR for SteamVR"?

In theory, it shouldn't matter what you start first. Again, in theory, you can just start DCS and everything VR related will load up.

However, in practice, I have found issues with losing the mouse cursor control, MR Portal not finding 6 DOF etc. etc. with different loading sequences. This whole thing and tracking capabilities are the only aspects of the Reverb that I don't like. My Index was way better in this respect, just started SteamVR and everything was always perfect.

Currently, I start SteamVR, then DCS and the headset should work OK. Most of the time it's OK, but I do have tracking issues from time to time, especially in the evening with only artificial light.

I feel the most solid way of getting a good result is to put on the headset, make sure there are no warnings about not finding the room space, etc. to ensure 6 DOF, then load the other stuff. However, that either involves taking off the headset and loading SteamVR/DCS from the desktop, or getting out the controllers and doing it from within Cliff House desktop on the wall.

Either way, it's messy!

I never use my controllers. I just launch the virtual desktop from within the reverb headset using my mouse and then I click my dcs icon shortcut on the virtual desktop and everything loads up. Only other thing I need to do is press alt+enter to go full screen so my mouse doesn't wonder out.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I never use my controllers. I just launch the virtual desktop from within the reverb headset using my mouse and then I click my dcs icon shortcut on the virtual desktop and everything loads up. Only other thing I need to do is press alt+enter to go full screen so my mouse doesn't wonder out.

Yep, mouse or controllers - same mess doing it that way!

Just to chime in - here's my startup procedure:

1) Launch Steam WMR

2) Launch Steam VR (if not already running after Steam WMR started)

3) Put on headset

4) Use the WMR built-in voice commands and say out loud: "Go to Start" and then "Page Down" and then "Desktop"

5) Use the mouse to double-click on the DCS executable, wait until it launches, and say "Close" to close the virtual Desktop

6) DCS VR has loaded and I am ready to go

(I have an MSI GeForce 1080TI, and I usually run the MSI Gaming App and launch "VR Ready" mode, which overclocks my card nicely and stably; I also launch my JetSeat's software as well before starting DCS)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Guys, if you're happy with the tracking of your headset, there is no need for all this. You can just click on DCS or Skate's app and everything else launches and is all good.

The only reason I don't just do that is, occasionally, I get WMR losing my roomspace and then the 6 DOF goes, but if you don't have that issue, then it's a one-click process!

I noticed that with the one-click-process I would more often than not have no mouse at all in the DCS menu (and then would have to quit and start over); the more elaborate way always has a working mouse in DCS.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yep, it's very annoying when that happens. To be honest, I still haven't definitely concluded what causes that. It happens to me sometimes using the elaborate way too.

Got the VR working!

Well guys, it looks like the main problem was that I hadn't downloaded WMR for Steam. Once I did that, I was able to fly the plane using the long startup approach that you guys were discussing. At the moment, when I just click on DCS, I get page faults that crash my computer, but it did seem to attempt to start the VR automatically.

That crashing doesn't really bother me right now because I know I need an updated video card for this game anyway, so I will be getting a 2080ti on Friday. My computer vendor also suggested faster RAM (and doubling it to 32Gb) and then updating the bios. Will do that over the next few days. I suspect all that should take care of the crashes.

I can see already that VR is truly the way to go with flight sims. The closest thing to it is either a full-blown simpit or the Helios software a user put together that displayed gauges and enabled input from a touchscreen. But after I couldn't get Helios working 4 years ago on a new machine I assembled expressly for that purpose, I gave up on DCS totally -- until now.

I was able to retire a couple years early just last month, so having all this game time available in the years ahead is a dream come true! It is interesting how many new plane modules came out over the past few years. I really wish DCS would now put together some quality AI for more campaigns -- and ones in which the AI is truly acting intelligently. DCS has all this wonderful scenery and vehicles, but no real wargame engine (although admittedly a truly excellent game editor). A wargame AI in itself is a huge, expensive challenge and has never seemed to be in their mindset or budget. I was surprised to find them doing all that WWII work and not even have a Battle of Britain campaign. I see that a user put together something in that regard, but if I understand it right, the planes in the game aren't the same models as in 1940 so there would be a lot of work to do to make that campaign work accurately. It would be nice if they would team up with some of the other software vendors to share ideas and come up with fully integrated product that uses all the gaming intelligence out there to make for some truly interesting campaigns. I have the old, Battle of Britain boardgame they could use as a starting point... hmmm...

Thanks guys for your help!

Edited by bigbear

I noticed that with the one-click-process I would more often than not have no mouse at all in the DCS menu (and then would have to quit and start over); the more elaborate way always has a working mouse in DCS.

If you have the same problem I do, it seems to have something to do with DCS not being the window of focus. When this happens, I can see the mouse cursor moving in the reprojection, but when I put the headset on, the mouse cursor freezes. It's as if WMR is prone to making DCS the window of focus backwards, e.g. focused with the headset off, unfocused when you put it on.

For me, the order of starting SteamVR and WMR hasn't seemed to matter, but I haven't tested that extensively.

I've found an easy (but still annoying) way of fixing this is to turn on one of the hand controllers after putting on the headset. I don't normally use them, but once you select something on the screen, it seems to make DCS the window of focus. Then I turn off the hand controller and the mouse works again as normal. Once I do this, it seems to fix the problem, at least until it comes up again on a subsequent startup.

Edited by jaylw314

Hi All,

I was having issues with SteamVR crashing during DCS in VR Mode, is anybody else getting SVR to crash??

Yes occasionally not consistently, two scenarios first time in a new mission, or when FPSvr is running... but it’s not consistent enough for me to file a bug on

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg