Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

There are four potential reasons:

- poor lighting, add more light

- flat environment, add contrasting colour

- changed lighting or environment, reset the boundary in wmr

- not correctly 'zeroing' the headset, put it on and do the moves before you launch the game

It could be hardware failure, but, thays very unlikely

I have similar issues to OP.

When you say "do the moves" I assume you mean the look left, down, up request.

That seems to be a missing feature now on my Mixed Reality. It was there when I first installed and was also there initially when I re-installed twice.

I also notice that if I create a boundary, it's usually not there after a re-boot.

Any suggestions?

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

In my experience, losing the 6 DOF only happens when the WMR initial sync hasn't completed correctly - the left, right, down process.

Also, never start DCS any way other than from within Cliff House.

For me, the failsafe procedure is - enter Cliff House after doing the initial sync OK, then launch DCS from Skate's Utility on a desktop window in CH.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have similar issues to OP.

When you say "do the moves" I assume you mean the look left, down, up request.

yes.

That seems to be a missing feature now on my Mixed Reality. It was there when I first installed and was also there initially when I re-installed twice.

no i was going to suggest uninstall and re-install, but you have already done that

I also notice that if I create a boundary, it's usually not there after a re-boot.

Any suggestions?

no sorry, you could try an OS reinstall but i honestly dont know what the cause is, so i am reluctant to suggest it... it feels like some permissions got borked ... are you local admin on the box ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

In my experience, losing the 6 DOF only happens when the WMR initial sync hasn't completed correctly - the left, right, down process.

Also, never start DCS any way other than from within Cliff House.

For me, the failsafe procedure is - enter Cliff House after doing the initial sync OK, then launch DCS from Skate's Utility on a desktop window in CH.

*THIS*

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

yes.

no i was going to suggest uninstall and re-install, but you have already done that

no sorry, you could try an OS reinstall but i honestly dont know what the cause is, so i am reluctant to suggest it... it feels like some permissions got borked ... are you local admin on the box ?

Right, may have sorted it. I assumed the feature had been dropped or was temporary, so after a bit of fiddling I swapped the input sensor setting from manually switch to automatic (default). I now get the calibration page on WMR startup. Odd eh.

Cheers

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Right, may have sorted it. I assumed the feature had been dropped or was temporary, so after a bit of fiddling I swapped the input sensor setting from manually switch to automatic (default). I now get the calibration page on WMR startup. Odd eh.

Cheers

odd, indeed, gad its working for you

just now getting around to testing out DCS with WMR set to 60hz in my odyssey. disabled motion reprojection...and wow how nice is it not to have all the artifiacts caused by motion reprojection? lol.

Undecided on whether I prefer the occasional hiccup with msaa 2x and 160% SS, or the shimmering with 200% SS and no msaa, with less dips to 50fps.. but, afaic 60hz VR is the way to go until hardware or a graphics API change gets us towards 90FPS in VR.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

just now getting around to testing out DCS with WMR set to 60hz in my odyssey. disabled motion reprojection...and wow how nice is it not to have all the artifiacts caused by motion reprojection? lol.

Undecided on whether I prefer the occasional hiccup with msaa 2x and 160% SS, or the shimmering with 200% SS and no msaa, with less dips to 50fps.. but, afaic 60hz VR is the way to go until hardware or a graphics API change gets us towards 90FPS in VR.

All down to personal preference. For me, I get very smooth 45 fps with reprojection on 90Hz. I can’t stand the 60 Hz flickering screen.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

All down to personal preference. For me, I get very smooth 45 fps with reprojection on 90Hz. I can’t stand the 60 Hz flickering screen.

No flickering for me. I was just flying in another sim a bit ago @60hz and 60fps and it's amazing how much easier it is to identify the aircraft I'm looking at vs my experience with reprojection. Admittedly, before disabling reprojection, dropping to even 55 fps would kick on 30fps reprojection and that was no fun.. but once I disabled it.. dropping to 50-55fps is no big deal.

YMMV i guess but getting a consistent 60fps and no reprojection artifacts feels is pretty awesome to me. Then again, I'm able to get away with msaa 2x due to the lower resolution with my headset. When I bump SS% up to beyond reverb resolution I doubt I could still maintain at or around 60fps with msaa on.

Have you updated to the win10 2004 build? Earlier posts in this thread point out it's supposed to have made some differences with the 60hz setting in WMR.

At any rate.. I'm ecstatic to be flying in VR without reprojection.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Why is it that when I set my WMR to 60hz scales my 3D world so small that it is unplayable in that mode.

The whole cockpit just shrinks to a minaiture display and setting dcs PD does not seems to help enlarge the scale of 3d image.

Anyone notice this with O+?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Why is it that when I set my WMR to 60hz scales my 3D world so small that it is unplayable in that mode.

The whole cockpit just shrinks to a minaiture display and setting dcs PD does not seems to help enlarge the scale of 3d image.

Anyone notice this with O+?

Not something I've noticed personally and I have the OG Odyssey. You're on Win10 Build 2004? And you're adjusting the IPD in DCS not the PD setting, (Pixel density)? Can't tell if typo or not. ;)

Spoiler

Not something I've noticed personally and I have the OG Odyssey. You're on Win10 Build 2004? And you're adjusting the IPD in DCS not the PD setting, (Pixel density)? Can't tell if typo or not. ;)
Interestingly enough I was able to change to 60hz on mwr window and it worked this time with proper scaling.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Tried 60hz with the 2004 Windows build and the flicker is just the same, I don’t think there would be any cure for that it is the nature of a refresh that low on a headset (Reverb in my case). I think it is just something we are either sensitive to or not. For me it is unplayable but I don’t really notice the artefacts issue with reprojection other than some ghosting of fast moving aircraft close by so I guess it is down to how we are wired!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Tried 60hz with the 2004 Windows build and the flicker is just the same, I don’t think there would be any cure for that it is the nature of a refresh that low on a headset (Reverb in my case). I think it is just something we are either sensitive to or not. For me it is unplayable but I don’t really notice the artefacts issue with reprojection other than some ghosting of fast moving aircraft close by so I guess it is down to how we are wired!

My feelings exactly!

Yep

so this post initially said something about my frames tanking on growling sidewinder.. but I think something might have been going on with my DCS install, as I renamed my saved games\DCS.openbeta folder and let the game rebuild it. I copied my input folder out of the old one.. and now I'm getting better performance than I was last night.

Unfortunately, GS isn't as populated as it was last night when I joined but, I'm pretty sure there must have been some conflict in my saved games folder as my framerate seemed lessed consistant in certain scenarios even in single player yesterday. Going to do more testing.. think I'm back to the belief that 60fps VR for flight simming is BAWS.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

at the time of my post I had just been mucking about in single player and I took a test flight on a Hoggit server without issues. Connecting to growling sidewinder my FPS tanked pretty hard.. wasn't quite as bad when i disabled MSAA and upped the SS, but still not the greatest experience.

I used to be able to run a higher minimum framerate in DCS even on the busiest of servers. Guess it's the lighting introduced in 2.5.6. Which.. frankly I could have lived without. I hope they reconsider updating graphics options that lessen performance when we're riding on the edge of being able to maintain playable minimum framerates.

In the other VR sim I fly I can run 60fps all day long.. often flew at or close to 90FPS in it, but would get reprojection often. (probably dropping to like 70-75fps).

Ah well.

The new lighting really eroded vr performance on my end too. It is not a show stopper anyways considering the fact that the new lighting is here to stay but performance could be improved.

Edited my post thinking no one had replied to it yet but I think I was having some kind of conflict in my saved games folder.. and it wasn't just the fxo/metashaders folders either.

I let it build a new dcs.openbeta folder in my saved games and my framerate seems much more consistent. Currently running at 160% SS in steamVR and msaa 2x in my odyssey.

I also ran nvprofileinespector and changed some things up but I think that had less to do with my issues than whatever was going on in my saved games folder, which was likely still around from 2.5.5.

Then again I need to check this out when the GS server is more populated.. but I feel like I fixed something with the saved games folder rebuild.

Spoiler

Edited my post thinking no one had replied to it yet but I think I was having some kind of conflict in my saved games folder.. and it wasn't just the fxo/metashaders folders either.

I let it build a new dcs.openbeta folder in my saved games and my framerate seems much more consistent. Currently running at 160% SS in steamVR and msaa 2x in my odyssey.

I also ran nvprofileinespector and changed some things up but I think that had less to do with my issues than whatever was going on in my saved games folder, which was likely still around from 2.5.5.

Then again I need to check this out when the GS server is more populated.. but I feel like I fixed something with the saved games folder rebuild.

Good finding. I will give that a shot from my end too and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing.

Good finding. I will give that a shot from my end too and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing.

Not saying you aren't already aware... but for anybody who sees this and decides to try it..

Be sure not to delete your original saved games\dcs folder.. mine was Saved Games\Dcs.openbeta and I simply renamed it to DCS.openbeta.bkp.. that way i was able to grab the input folder (DCS.openbeta.bkp\Config\Input) and drop it into the new folder created by DCS to save my controls.

Spoiler

Not saying you aren't already aware... but for anybody who sees this and decides to try it..

Be sure not to delete your original saved games\dcs folder.. mine was Saved Games\Dcs.openbeta and I simply renamed it to DCS.openbeta.bkp.. that way i was able to grab the input folder (DCS.openbeta.bkp\Config\Input) and drop it into the new folder created by DCS to save my controls.

Yeah, I am very aware of saving the old saved game folder and moving file such mission, config, kneeboard and other relevant files back to the new folder. Thanks for the heads up.

While overall, my frames have smoothed out in certain situations.. with 20+ people on Growling Sidewinder my FPS still tanks.. but once I'm off the ground I get back up to a steady 60fps for the most part. The saved games rebuild does seem to have smooth things out a bit as I was experiencing some weird framerate issues in SP. Seems turning Anisotropic filtering off in game and setting it to 16x in nv control panel/profileinspector helped a bit too.

I'm not having the same experience with other servers. Hoggit for instance I pretty much stay at 60fps even when there's 20-30 people connected, both on caucasus and PG.

Might have to check out DCS but I'll quit bumping this thread.. as not everybody might be dealing with the same stuff I was experiencing.

Spoiler

Anyone else sometimes suffering from these suuuper annoying false-position-jumps on any map? -.- This is on Syria, I never had this issue on Persian Gulf and Caucasus. Also doesn't always happen, but regularly. Lighting in my room should be good, I use a bright lamp and there are no reflections on my 2 screens.

Should I try WMR for SteamVR beta? Or SteamVR beta? One of them, or both?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

quick question about WMR.

which software does the reprojection if you play dcs via steamVR. is it done by the WMR software or by steamVR, or can you choose?

if it is done by WMR how does WMR reprojection compare to steamVR and oculus implementation? i'm familiar with oculus ASW and found it to be very useable at 45fps.

thanks