Windows Mixed Reality Discussion

NineLine

Also, I have been having some serious lag on MP servers that have put my nose in the dirt on more than one occasion. I’ve read through this thread and others- is trying the beta branch of the WMR steam app still the most successful intervention? Specs: 17 8700k 5ghz on water, 32g 3200 ddr4, m.2 evo nvme (DCS, win 10), gtx 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought wmr for steam app was beta on it's own. How do you switch to the beta version because steam VR and wmr for steam app are two different software.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I've been wrestling with issues with my WMR device with DCS the past couple weeks. It would intermittently return to the SteamVR loading screen while in flight. It would happen often if a model had to be damaged, but it would also happen randomly. If I removed my headset, I would notice that the flat DCS window was completely locked up during this time. I tried all kinds of things to solve this -- messed around with the graphics settings, tried the Process Lasso trick, and even did a clean reinstall of Windows. Nothing helped.

On a whim, I opted into the beta branch of "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" on Steam and then manually enabled automatic motion reprojection in one of the config files. It solved the problem completely.

The guide I followed is here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

And just to make it easy for folks that might try this themselves, here's the current configuration:

Windows 10, fully updated

SteamVR (beta)

Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (beta)

Nvidia driver 397.93

Windows on SSD 1

SteamVR and WMR installed on SSD 1

DCS on SSD 2

Windows page file on SSD 3

i7 6700K (stock speeds)

GTX 1080 (reference card)

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM

Sorry for the information dump, but I figured it can't hurt. :thumbup:

I was looking at this post.

Afaik you can't, since "WMR for Steam" doesn't show up in the library.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Afaik you can't, since "WMR for Steam" doesn't show up in the library.
It's not going to show up in steam library, I had to download it via a Google search. But I'm not sure if I'm on the beta or not.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

There is no beta for WMR App afaik. Only for "SteamVR" app. I sometimes have lag on MP servers, but afaik that is an MP issue to be fixed by ED in a future patch sometime.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yea that's what I thought as well. I also noticed that starting dcs without first starting wmr for steam app first, it works once but then after closing everything down and starting dcs again steam VR throws an error stating it can't communicate with the headset. I have to reboot the PC.

If I start the wmr for steam app first, then I start dcs, it works fine every time. But it also launches steam VR which is not launched if you just start dcs on it's own without first starting the wmr for steam app.

Strange issue.

I don't think rebooting PC is necessary, did you try restarting Steam VR? (in task manager "vrmonitor.exe" and "vrserver.exe")

There is no beta for WMR App afaik. Only for "SteamVR" app. I sometimes have lag on MP servers, but afaik that is an MP issue to be fixed by ED in a future patch sometime.

I’ve heard that the lag issue is widespread and due for a fix, but I’m getting significantly more lag than the guys with whom I’ve been flying. My ping is generally in the 60s and I have gigabit internet.

I don't think I saw those two in my task manager. I know I looked in there. I'll double check tonight.

I just find it odd that I HAVE to start the wmr for steam app first, then dcs. When I was using my Oculus, I always just clicked on dcs and that took over everything. Obviously wmr headset software is less obedient.

If you're not sure if it's related to VR only, it could be Windows 10 gamemode (deactivate it), I had lag too, by using it... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215622

I just find it odd that I HAVE to start the wmr for steam app first, then dcs.

Wait, how do you start wmr for steam app ? I can only start/end SteamVR...

Wait, how do you start wmr for steam app ? I can only start/end SteamVR...
https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

I installed it by doing a Google search it brought me to the steam page. So once I installed it, it placed a desktop shortcut on my desktop.

Clicking it, brings up the wmr window with the play icon and also starts steam VR.

When I first got the odyssey I plugged the headset in, ran through the setup and it worked fine but dcs didn't recognize it. So then I thought I needed steam VR. Installed steam VR and it still didn't recognize the headset(dcs ). After I installed the wmr for steam app then dcs recognized the headset.

Such a confusing process. The Oculus software is much more user friendly but my Oculus has been in the closet since.

Yes, it is a longer process than Oculus. I especially was hoping for Microsoft or Valve to include "WMR-for-SteamVR" into Win 10/SteamVR. But this is how it is, I'm happy it's working for me. I'm happy WMR has higher resolution than Rift. I'm sad that M2000C, AV-8B Harrier and probably all modules have off-set positions in WMR currently. (I have to re-center my view a bit more to the left with Numpad 5, but then the mirrors are reflecting wrong)

Yes, it is a longer process than Oculus. I especially was hoping for Microsoft or Valve to include "WMR-for-SteamVR" into Win 10/SteamVR. But this is how it is, I'm happy it's working for me. I'm happy WMR has higher resolution than Rift. I'm sad that M2000C, AV-8B Harrier and probably all modules have off-set positions in WMR currently. (I have to re-center my view a bit more to the left with Numpad 5, but then the mirrors are reflecting wrong)
Yea I have to do the same for the mirrage, viggen, and av8. For the A10c I was able to move my view and then save it using right alt + numpad 0. Try that out and see if it works, it did for the a10 and f18 for me.

Edit: Right alt + numpad 0 not shift to save your newly set view.

Edited by sze5003

Samsung Odyssey IPD off

Hi Fellas,

I got a weird issue with my Odyssey and DCS. When I start DCS the IPD is kinda off. It's noticeable when a external box (like a Steam or Skype notification) and when I take the HMD after flying, I feel cross eyed for several minutes till my eyes recover. The really strange part is, this only happens in DCS. No issues in Elite:Dangerous (expect the loading screen), Steam VR, Arizona Sunshine etc. And no matter how I set the IPD on the headset or in DCS, the cross eye effect doesn't go away.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

Hi Fellas,

I got a weird issue with my Odyssey and DCS. When I start DCS the IPD is kinda off. It's noticeable when a external box (like a Steam or Skype notification) and when I take the HMD after flying, I feel cross eyed for several minutes till my eyes recover. The really strange part is, this only happens in DCS. No issues in Elite:Dangerous (expect the loading screen), Steam VR, Arizona Sunshine etc. And no matter how I set the IPD on the headset or in DCS, the cross eye effect doesn't go away.

You can play around with the ipd in the VR settings tab. Set it to what you want. If it's not an issue outside of Dcs, see what windows shows the ipd as.

Got to your windows wmr headset options/settings under windows and where you have the quality dropdown there is an ipd set there too. You can't change it for some reason.

Also the odyssey has a small scroll wheel on the bottom front of the headset. Moving it left and right will move the lenses in the hmd closer and further apart.

You can play around with the ipd in the VR settings tab. Set it to what you want. If it's not an issue outside of Dcs, see what windows shows the ipd as.

Got to your windows wmr headset options/settings under windows and where you have the quality dropdown there is an ipd set there too. You can't change it for some reason.

Also the odyssey has a small scroll wheel on the bottom front of the headset. Moving it left and right will move the lenses in the hmd closer and further apart.

I've already tried all of that. Not matter to which postion I scroll the IPD wheel and no matter what IPD I force in the DCS VR settings, the cross eye effect remains in DCS.

By the way, the IPD set in the Windows Settings is deactivated because the Odyssey sets the IPD via hardware (the scroll wheel in front).

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

Unfortunately I've never heard of feeling cross eyed when taking the headset off unless the lenses were not appropriate distance from each other to match your eyes. Strange that this only happens in dcs for you.

Good news, I think I finally fixed my terrible lag problem! I went into the device manager and found the mixed reality HMD in the list and had windows update the drivers. The only ones listed were tracking drivers, but apparently they needed to be updated. I then went on to Through the Inferno (a busy server with lots of spawns) and Roberts your Auntie’s live in lover, had only a couple of very short spikes (more like expected). I was able to dogfight and bomb without ending up with my nose in the dirt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good news, I think I finally fixed my terrible lag problem! I went into the device manager and found the mixed reality HMD in the list and had windows update the drivers. The only ones listed were tracking drivers, but apparently they needed to be updated. I then went on to Through the Inferno (a busy server with lots of spawns) and Roberts your Auntie’s live in lover, had only a couple of very short spikes (more like expected). I was able to dogfight and bomb without ending up with my nose in the dirt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting..I thought that the wmr would update on it's own through windows update.

How is WMR?

Will I get decent settings and Frames with a 8700K and GTX 1080?

Absolutely. I have the same oc on H2O to 5ghz. with an Odyssey and have not picked up the Rift since. I would recommend having DCS on an m.2 nvme and 32g DDR4 as well.

How is WMR?

Will I get decent settings and Frames with a 8700K and GTX 1080?

I have a 1080ti and 32 gb ram. Running all high settings except shadows and pixel density of 1.5. Works fine for me single player and most of multiplayer too. I mainly play on the hoggit server though.

WMR is awesome as long as you avoid reflecting surfaces and a dark room.

Hi Fellas,

I have the exact same issue, is also noticeable when exiting DCS back to steam still wearing the headset. Also only on DCS. What is your computer specs. I feel like the images are slightly misaligned.

Edited by CaptainX