F-15C Issues

Baz000

I would like to report several possible bugs with the F-15C

when you look straight up at your lift vector at night time when you have your cockpit lights on, there is a light orb shining down on your pilot seat from above you, in the real aircraft this is a bubble canopy and so there shouldn't be such a light orb at night time.

Also, when you have exterior NAV lights and Anti-collision lights turned on... Any time you have your anti collision lights flashing while the exterior NAV lights are turned on, your cockpit seat back is flashing and showing a graphical artifact at night time.

Also, the lock / shoot lights have some kind of graphical artifact with the lighting from the sun on the edges of the square mounts... So they flash and glimmer and blind you at day time.

And the taxi / Landing lights when the landing gear is raised and lowered is being projected into the cockpit at night time, blinding you momentarily as the pilot.

And the behavior of the lock / shoot lights might not be modeled fully.

According to USAF TO 1F-15C-34-1-1

On page 1-17 describes the Lock / shoot lights as having this behavior...

ON (steady) = the radar is angle tracking on a target (locked on)

On (flashing) = in MRM/SRM modes, the central computer has generated the shoot cue indication (small triangle on bottom of TDC box around target in HUD- I think)

Currently in the sim, the lock/shoot lights are steady on only and do not flash.

how it currently works in the sim is: On (steady) = target is locked and in RMAX for missile shot

On (flashing) = not implemented

how apparently it should be is: On (steady) = Radar is tracking and locked on a target

On (flashing) = in MRM/SRM modes, the central computer on board the aircraft has generated a shoot cue indication under the TDC box in hud (This happens when target is at RMAX and and not past RMIN)

According to USAF TO1F-15A-1 on page 2-11 it states as a caution when explaining areobraking that:

CAUTION! Limit pitch attitude to 15 degrees to avoid dragging the tail. The aircraft symbol (W on the HUD) will flash at 13 degrees...

But in the sim this does not flash / happen...

Some controls issues / concerns:

quick selection in the sim of AIM-9 missile is not possible without radar activated / already tracking target, I have my HOTAS Warthog programmed through Target to have the boat switch act as my weapons selection... Moved forward selects MRM mode (number 2 on keyboard, so AIM-9 is never selected... I have to select between different MRM IE: AIM-120 or AIM-7 by pressing d key on keyboard, IRL I assume pressing this again will cycle through MRM weapons)

Anyways, it is not possible to select AIM 9 with radar by returning to middle position (I do this by pressing 6 on keyboard but this automatically shuts off my radar... Maybe Radar should only shut off if in search mode but not when tracking a target? My work around is to visually acquire and use auto acquisition mode to lock target again quickly either by vertical scan or boresight radar auto acq mode)

I have the boat switch when set to AFT = cannon select (by pressing c key) but when returned to missle position (6 key) when radar was in auto guns mode and tracking a target... Again, the problem of automatic radar shut off and loss of lock when switching to AIM-9.

see in same USAF TO, pages 1-60C(MRM attack) and 1-61 and 1-62 (SRM attack)

also, I like to use TDC as ministick axis on my throttle... I'm looking for good axis curve for it

same for flying the plane too, good curve / settings for pitch and roll.

And I have some issues with the F-15C Red Flag campaign regarding AI wingmen and fuel consumption / telling them to hit the tanker. As well as the push timing.

If I think of any more I will post them up here, I'm trying to keep in mind this is a FC3 aircraft here and it may be a design decision to not fully model some things.

• Like 1

Oh one more thing, the OWS (overload Warning System) this is the system that tells you if you are over Ging or reaching over G of aircraft given the configuration you are equipped with.

This does not take into account your loadout IE: 3 bags full missile compliment should not have over-G warning starting at 7.5 G and upwards of 9G.

read page 1-57 where it talks about OWS system in USAF TO1F-15A-1

and also read page 1-65 where it talks about HUD and G indicator on HUD... In particular it states the following:

"The HUD displays both current and maximum allowable g for existing flight conditions, aircraft configuration, and gross weight. Current g is displayed on the left and maximum allowable g is displayed on the right. The maximum allowable display changes automatically as flight conditions and gross weight changes. The g displays do not use decimal points, the letter g, nor plus or minus signs. If the overload system fails, the g display reverts to the pre-overload warning system display."

it also states earlier that the maximum G on the display is limited to 8g.

currently in the sim, the maximum g is 9 on the HUD and stays like that and never changes even when configured to be very heavy with 3 fuel tanks.

Thanks for the compliment, I know from reading alot of posts on the forums there is always lots of comments about this or that but rarely ever really any official documents backing them up.

Also, this struck me as appealing when I was reading about the HUD on USAF TO F-15A-1 page 1-65:

"The design eye position for the HUD, on the main instrument panel, is established by adjusting the seat to align the eye line of sight with the top of the HUD box/glareshield."

So I guess if your in your pit and your view is configured correctly including seat height and FOV... Then, what should happen is when you look forward if you draw a vector from your eyes looking straight ahead, it should hit the top of the HUD box / glareshield.

Not sure if this happens in the sim, i'll have to check it out and look more closely.

Now that's a bug report example for the ages =) Specific, detailed, with USAF quotations =)

Agreed. Really excellent bug reporting.

Very respectfully articulated, too. :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I think either the F-15C player sits too low in the seat in the sim or the HUD is not shaped correctly based on photographs I have been looking at and the view I have in the sim which is the default as I never changed it.

Could be the HUD glass is not angled down enough towards the stick, can't put my finger on it but something looks "off"

Okay, I guess this is a good picture to explain what I'm trying to say...

If you draw a straight line from where the pilots eyes are looking straight ahead, you will see that the vector you just drew meets the top of the top most HUD glass.

So that means that the pilot would be looking at the top of the glass when looking straight ahead in a neutral head position when sitting in the cockpit.

090825-F-0894S-125.JPG

when you look straight up at your lift vector at night time when you have your cockpit lights on, there is a light orb shining down on your pilot seat from above you...

Also, when you have exterior NAV lights and Anti-collision lights turned on... Any time you have your anti collision lights flashing while the exterior NAV lights are turned on, your cockpit seat back is flashing and showing a graphical artifact at night time.

Confirmed. It's like that since 2.5:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203983

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204960

CAUTION! Limit pitch attitude to 15 degrees to avoid dragging the tail. The aircraft symbol (W on the HUD) will flash at 13 degrees...

I remember it on the forum once.

same for flying the plane too, good curve / settings for pitch and roll.

You have this options in controls > axis tune.

And I have some issues with the F-15C Red Flag campaign regarding AI wingmen and fuel consumption / telling them to hit the tanker.

AI is known for being bad at conserving fuel.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

@Baz

Regarding the HUD, this is a known issue, and related to certain aircraft like the F-15 being very old, despite the updates, they still need more updates :P

I believe the general consensus was that the HUD doesn't scale properly as you zoom in/out, it stays the same size rather than shrinking/enlarging like it should. The viewpoint is set based off... whatever it was originally determined, probably from back in the days when the cockpits were less functional, and the HUD mechanics haven't been updated to more modern tech yet. The F-15 is not the only aircraft that suffers from this.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

the HUD doesn't scale properly as you zoom in/out, it stays the same size rather than shrinking/enlarging like it should.

No, it should not change when zooming. It changes only if you move viewpoint.

btw: TrackIR users move their head closer to monitor to zoom in but there is no viewpoint move in game - just zoom in - head stays in place.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In order to get AI wingmen to refuel you must first call the tanker yourself and request rejoin, then send the wingmen to it.

There actually is a viewpoint move in the game by holding Right CTRL+ Right Shift and number pad arrows for X,Y or /,* for Z. However when you adjust (Z) backward it causes the HUD and mirrors to zoom, often filling the center mirror with your helmet. In VR it becomes apparent that you're too far forward when you turn to look at the seat behind you, but moving back affects the bud and mirrors as mentioned.

Edited by blkspade

No, it should not change when zooming. It changes only if you move viewpoint.

btw: TrackIR users move their head closer to monitor to zoom in but there is no viewpoint move in game - just zoom in - head stays in place.

You're quibbling semantics, #1.

And yes, you can move the viewpoint even with TrackIR. I've never played DCS without TrackIR and have encountered this issue as a result of trying to move the viewpoint back into a more natural position. The HUD does not scale properly.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

The warning tone sound you hear every time you go past 30 AOA when landing gear is retracted... With gear extended it is returned.

When gear retracted: it is removed in later versions of the F-15C... Instead you have a yaw rate tone warning you of yaw rate build up which may lead to departure of the aircraft into a spin.

• 2 years later...

Bump

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg