South Atlantic Terrain - Work In Progress

SUNTSAG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean there is a Sea Harrier FRS1 in the works? Yes please :)

Pity but no, see this:

"South Atlantic Theater of Operations: The Falklands Islands.

It should be look at not just because of the historic events, but future events or "what if" situations that could've happened..for instance the recent discovery of oil reservoirs could sparkle a conflict not exactly against Argentina but some other world power with strategic reach.."

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The area looks very ok, please do this bigger part with terrain (like on the picture), not only the sea and Falklands/Malvinas.

Btw. here is comparison between Nevada and this proposition:

l4jlrbRh.jpg

It looks like 600x610 km not enough for sure and for us ;), especially that 80% of the covered area is water (free water! :D).

My personal preference would be a relatively small amount of Argentina, and then a BIG extension north and east, such that we have a LOT of ocean to play in with our carriers.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

My personal preference would be a relatively small amount of Argentina, and then a BIG extension north and east, such that we have a LOT of ocean to play in with our carriers.
Hopefully, we can have both. The open sea should not impact performance that much, so the most limiting factor should be the amount of objects on land and the terrain detail.

With the islands themselves not adding a lot of objects and wooded areas, that makes the argentinian coast and cities the primary factor.

Additional open sea to the north, east and maybe south should have more or less no impact on object count and complexity...

Given that we have only the coastline modeled to detail, you could think about adding South-Georgia Island and maybe Ascension and the low detail coastline of Brazil / South America...

I actually never tried, but it should be possible to continue flying outside the "map" forever, over the placeholder texture on any of the current maps. Given the "placeholder" can simply be the open ocean render, it could in theory be endless. The limit is the coordinates given in the Mission Editor, to place objects (ships, basically).

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On the Normandy and Nevada maps, if you zoom out in the editor as far as you can the area is ~1500 x 800 nm. If you place a FARP at any of the extreme corners you can spawn a helicopter and fly across the map.

In the Caucasus map if you do that in the extreme corners your FARP will work , but more importantly at the extreme edges of the map at the Black Sea you can spawn ships including Aircraft Carriers. If you try to spawn an Aircraft Carrier in the Pacific Ocean on the Nevada Map it won't work. FARPs and ground vehs work fine.

Yes the maps extend forever. Thus having "sea" should be fine. But I noticed in Normandy and NTTR they wrap it all up in land forever. Sea in this case, would allow for those long placements of carrier/ships. So the only question remains, is there actually a need for wrapping the new maps in land? Could it be sea?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

we will see what we can fit in :)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

The area looks very ok, please do this bigger part with terrain (like on the picture), not only the sea and Falklands/Malvinas.

Btw. here is comparison between Nevada and this proposition:

l4jlrbRh.jpg

It looks like 600x610 km not enough for sure and for us ;), especially that 80% of the covered area is water (free water! :D).

I concur, with 80% being water then it "should" be doable

Maybeis already discussed, but cannot find it. But is the map aimed for a 1982 era, or post 1982? The basic question is, Mount Pleaseant Air base will be there or not?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go:

32936906_1706086022811362_3522694728359346176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=65512b45eeacc2dbd41642500aff4c44&oe=5B8F95CB

For me, this map is far more exciting than Persian Gulf or any of the other already available maps :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

"south atlantic terrain" doesn't mean very much to me.

missions are not easy, like the anti radar for de skyward and the ar radar went off, brits think it was hit and ar wait to the harrier came close and turn it back on.

there a lots of surprises there like am38 lunch from ground....so is not a easy ride.

for those people that loose their life's there, brits and ar are very much a like

and that war change naval war doctrine.

Edited by RFC Rudel

Having spent several months flying in the Falklands I will purchase without doubt. I guess you are gonna add some airfields on West Falklands else it's gonna be severely limited. I may have missed it but are you going to include RAF Mount Pleasant or is this pre invasion.

Some of you might like this video from my era.

Edited by WindyTX

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Having spent several months flying in the Falklands I will purchase without doubt. I guess you are gonna add some airfields on West Falklands else it's gonna be severely limited. I may have missed it but are you going to include RAF Mount Pleasant or is this pre invasion.

Some of you might like this video from my era.

Some greedy bastard blocked that video in US due to copyright claim :mad:

Strange as it's on my YouTube but it is private. I will see if I can get a copy without the music.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

for the music, I am really against abut discussion's like it was a football mach.

http://www.defensionem.com/rise-fall-argentine-air-force/

doc is the best of ar air activity

http://www.radarmalvinas.com.ar/radar_malvinas.htm all pdf with British version, my point is to show how intense was and how dcs could make the best aut of the conflict

faa2-ct.pdf

Edited by RFC Rudel