Planning my new badass machine.

Studying my new PC myself, will take 2 more months of wayting though, so far considering the new CPU's and the new BUS speeds that Intel is about to release, I still favour the QX6700 Extreme.

-QX67000 Extreme (quad) 2.66GHz

-Motherboard still to define but probably an Nvidia 680i chipset or intels 965 if price still is an issue by may.

-Tuniq Tower 120 cooler

-BFG NVIDIA 8800GTS 320 (giving emphasis on CPU, GFX comes second on my budget)

-2 GIG's of RAM DDR2 800 (for taking the proc up to 3 GHz and beat the E6800 in single threaded apps, will buy 2 more GIG's later, letting my budget breathe for a while)

-Probably 3XWestern Digital 320 GB HD, 2 on RAID0, and 1 for backup of my media and doc's

-SB Audigy Bulk (lol never wanted high end sound too much anyway)

-2 DVD Dual layer recorders, one from LG and the other from another brand (to prevent them both start being picky with the same brands of disks at the same time as they get old and dusty inside)

-PC case yet to choose but preferrably holding 2 120mm fans, the rear one is to suck the air from the cooler straight from the back of the case.

-LC Power 550W PSU, unless Im advised to get something bigger (Huge price difference from there up)

NO MORE FRIGGIN FLOPPY DRIVE, just like my current PC, saving me precious 5 Euros

Total expected: bout 1900 Euros by April

Right now it would exceed that margin only because of the extra hard drive (the 3rd)

If prices drop as they are rumoured to drop by aprill I may squeeze an 22" wide TFT monitor into this while not exceeding that price mark I established.

If I made a technical oversight please leave a comment. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Be aware that Core 2 Quad (4 cores) won't overclock nowhere near as Core 2 Duo (2 cores) because of much higher power used by these CPU's. Quad cores get hotter much more then same speed 2 core CPU.

If you really want to overclock and don't really use any applications that can benefin from multi core CPU, I think you better get a 2 core CPU.

No longer active in DCS...

1900 EUROS sounds about right.. That's what I spent on mine.. Although I spent an additional 175.00 USD for a new wireless key bd. and mouse.. And I also spent another 1400.00 USD for my Samsung 32" HD TV / monitor.. Systems like ours should be good for at least 2years.. Although I don't have Quad Core, my MB will accept it so I might try this out before the Holidays next year....

So good luck on getting your system and I hope that you can get a big savings if and when the prices drop...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Intel will soon introduce new Core 2 CPU's which support 1333MHz FSB. At that time, Intel will also lower prices on its whole range of CPU's, including it's quad cores.

This will happen expected in around may/june.

As for the 8800GTS 320MB, especially at higher resolutions it seems to be significant slower then its 640MB brother. My advice, try and get the 640MB if Intel indeed lowers the prices as expected. (and who knows, maybe AM/ATi will have a better alternative in two months)

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

Be aware that Core 2 Quad (4 cores) won't overclock nowhere near as Core 2 Duo (2 cores) because of much higher power used by these CPU's. Quad cores get hotter much more then same speed 2 core CPU.

If you really want to overclock and don't really use any applications that can benefin from multi core CPU, I think you better get a 2 core CPU.

Im aware that quad do run hotter, chosen the Tuniq coolder because of that. Besides my Overclock will be to equal the clock of the E6700, wich is not much of an OC (just to clear my consiousness of going quad :D ). For example my previous machine was OC'ed only by 100MHz and my current machine runs at stock speed of 2.2GHz. I have never been to much of an apologist for buying parts specialy with high OC in mind. If somehow I fail to achieve OC because I was unlucky with the components thats money wasted.

Intel will soon introduce new Core 2 CPU's which support 1333MHz FSB. At that time, Intel will also lower prices on its whole range of CPU's, including it's quad cores.

This will happen expected in around may/june.

As for the 8800GTS 320MB, especially at higher resolutions it seems to be significant slower then its 640MB brother. My advice, try and get the 640MB if Intel indeed lowers the prices as expected. (and who knows, maybe AM/ATi will have a better alternative in two months)

2 things:

1) LOMAC is the only game Im running right now I can add a new card later if needed for another SIM. I will get supreme commander wich runs on 4 threads. I can play Crysis but only if my brother wants to play, I wouldnt care less how badly it runs with 320MB vid memory :D

2)Need my own new PC only for my family leaving me alone for at least 3 years. :D I have tremendous difficulty in having time to play even at weekends, their always need it for some kind of last minute calamity.

My PC specs below:

nice choice, Pilotasso:D

i might suggest two things:

First u might concider the 500 Gb Samsung Spinpoint T166 HDD, it is apart from the raptors currently the fastest Harddrive for the consumer market and u should get it under 100 €(new 1Tb Hitachi is nearly as fast as the raptor, but is imho too expensive atm,).

Second is the Mobo: Boards based on new Intel Bearlake Chipset should become available soon. Bearlake has capability for DDR II and/or DDR III (depending on mobo manufacturer, there might be even boards that offer both). It sports new 1333 MHz FSB. If money is a concern, u could put in a cheap Core2 for the moment, sit back and wait another Year for Quadcore prices to come down.

I m suggesting this because it is the way i will go.

S~

Brati

"Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them." (THX Rich :thumbup: )

33rdsignatureimage7klmu6.jpg

Rgr that, but if I still go for the Quad will it run on the 1333Mhz FSB or will I have to reduce it back to 1066 on it? As far as I can tell the new CPU's are for budget C2D, not EXTREME models or Quads.

As you can see from my current PC I have a reluctance to upgrade PC's because either their CPU sockets or Vid ports get discontinued just a couple of months later. SO whatever I buy has to be GUUUUT because it will probably stick for 3 whole years with the probable exception of memory amount.

Also because I will plan and save my salaries just after its pruchase I want to buy-and-forget this thing. Quick fast pain :D

My true doubts are the PSU, GFX (ATI 1950XT?) and whatever new 1333 FSB CPU's could have enough inprovment perfomance margin on 2 cores enough to make me go dual core instead. But the current short term roadmap suggests the margin on both perfomance and price tag is just too small NOT to get the Quad, even with the new CPU's.

My PC specs below:

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/hwdb.php?tid=753250&tp=Intel-c2d-e6050&rid=753256

dont get bothered by the chineese (or whatever it is:D ) Just gives an idea what we can expect in the 2nd. half of 2007. This is why i would get a bearlake board and drop in a cheap an E6300 until E6850 is out (look at its pricing :smartass:

S~

Brati

PS: power supplie might be insufficien, if u plan the dual graphics way one day

"Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them." (THX Rich :thumbup: )

33rdsignatureimage7klmu6.jpg

E6850-E6800=70Mhz :wassat:

Q6700 will be almost half the price too, both tempting aquisitions but I would still get the Quad as it will remain top dog till next year,and It can easely be brought to 3GHZ with little hassle anyway.

My PC specs below:

RGR, make no mistake, if you can get me an excuse for choosing a different CPU by all means I will. From my point of perspective it would require a Q6750 quad in the same price range as the others at 1333 to change the config. But apparently there wont be or Intell is saving it as a rabit to pull out of the hat after any AMD response. It will be even more expensive than the 960 Euros the quad costs right now. DOnt know if I would get the courage to spend any more than that.

My PC specs below:

Wont get 2 cards, besides Ill probably wont even use AA because I need to see those pesky migs and dont need their faint visual clues to be any more blurred out. Im used to play games without AA, as long as textures are crisp enought I dont mind much about the jaggies.

My PC specs below:

I hate jaggies :D

Me too, I've waged war on them with Crossfire. :gun_smilie:

---------------------

FX 55 Sandy@ 3.03 GHz

Tuniq Tower 120

DFI Lanparty CFX 3200-DR/G

(2X) X1950XTX Crossfire@ 695 core

2048 OCZ PC 3200 Platinum (2-3-2-5)

Antec TP3 650

Samsung 19" LCD (8ms)

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Track IR 4

CH Pro Pedals

:pilotfly:

Oooo i love these threads!

2 months is a long time but it looks great, some impressions though...

As stated the price drops and 2 core 1333 FSB changes may come into effect here.

-Motherboard still to define but probably an Nvidia 680i chipset or intels 965 if price still is an issue by may.

Yep, who knows how bearlake will be, but it will be there... I still wouldn't get 680i... right now I would get a 965 that stays on the 1066 strap..or a 975x (especially if the Q6700 multiplier is high.)

-Tuniq Tower 120 cooler

Cooling a quad is a huge deal, especially it seems in Portugal

Get the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, I just wrote a review comparing it's pre-production "little brother" the ULtima-90 vs the Tuniq... Read it here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137838

I think the whole gammut of R600's are being released at once so see what they have to offer too...

-2 GIG's of RAM DDR2 800 (for taking the proc up to 3 GHz and beat the E6800 in single threaded apps, will buy 2 more GIG's later, letting my budget breathe for a while)

Whats the multiplier on a Q6700?

And i kid you not... DDR3 was at CeBit and is in the hands of several people and may be in play two months from now... and btw... dont RAM prices make you want to vomit?

-Probably 3XWestern Digital 320 GB HD, 2 on RAID0, and 1 for backup of my media and doc's

Only place to go for Hard drive info

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

-LC Power 550W PSU, unless Im advised to get something bigger (Huge price difference from there up)

No need for anything bigger, just wondering about the stability on the rails, Amps on the 12v Rail, ripple, etc... refer to this thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Refresh this thread when the time comes near Pilotasso!

Oooo i love these threads!

2 months is a long time but it looks great, some impressions though...

As stated the price drops and 2 core 1333 FSB changes may come into effect here.

!

One model that would interest me would be the E6850 but its only 70MHz faster than its current brother, so whats the point? It can be PWNED once I clock the Q6700 to 3 GHz, with litle effort.

-Tuniq Tower 120 cooler

Cooling a quad is a huge deal, especially it seems in Portugal

Get the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, I just wrote a review comparing it's pre-production "little brother" the ULtima-90 vs the Tuniq... Read it here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137838

Thx, it remains to be seen if this cooler can be found anywhere here. Ill Search for it.

I think the whole gammut of R600's are being released at once so see what they have to offer too...

Well as I said I dont want the top performer, I dont give much worry about first person shooters and LOMAC is CPU bound for FPS. Besides R600 will pwn my PSU, its smaller brother are unlikely to top the 8800 320 as they will have downgrated GPU specs unlike the 320 wich is of similar perfomance of the NVIDIA top dogs, Ill see what hapens to ATI if they launch it in time for my purchase but I wont wait too long, the thing has been dalayed for months and Im not too optimistic that will stick to the release date this time again.

Whats the multiplier on a Q6700?

And i kid you not... DDR3 was at CeBit and is in the hands of several people and may be in play two months from now... and btw... dont RAM prices make you want to vomit?

The FSB is 266 quad pumped and the CPU is on 2.66GHz, so you do the math :D

Anyway I heard with quad core extremes the multiplier is free to change in BIOS.

The 800 DDR2 is for overclock bus/mem to 1333 if I need/can do it with the MOBO, since 800MHZ modules are no more expensive than 667 ones over here (bout 80 Euros for 1 GIG stick), I see no reason why to stick with 667. Who knows, maybe the headroom could be handy.

DDR3 will probably cost a premium and like mem timings its typicaly overrated compared to its impact in overall system perfomance.

Only place to go for Hard drive info

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

Thx, have to look into it, HD setup is still much in the air. Im not yet too much inclined into any particular solution yet.

No need for anything bigger, just wondering about the stability on the rails, Amps on the 12v Rail, ripple, etc... refer to this thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Got one right now on my current machine. LC has good rep, so unelss anything comes up stating I should change PSU Ill keep this one as first buy intention so far.

My PC specs below:

Once the Ultra-120 Extreme, Ultima-90, or the IFX-14 comes out it should be available in Portugal through bacata.net...

http://www.bacata.net/

130w TDP will need some nice cooling, even at 3.0Ghz... The main thing is to leave yourself room for voltage raises, you never know what kind of chip you'll get.

LC has a good reputation?... are they a full company or do they rebrand with a well known OEM?

Multiplier for Qx6700 is open above 10x... Sound great for a 975x

130w TDP will need some nice cooling, even at 3.0Ghz... The main thing is to leave yourself room for voltage raises, you never know what kind of chip you'll get.

Reading reports on the net, the Q6700 can be clocked at 3.0-3.33 GHz without voltage increases.

My PC specs below:

Heh...and I'm betting you won. :D How do you like your new toy, Fret? :thumbup:

I'll let you know when it's all-together...haven't had time to devote to the build. This is the week though, so I'll report-in when everything's done. :yes:

---------------------

FX 55 Sandy@ 3.03 GHz

Tuniq Tower 120

DFI Lanparty CFX 3200-DR/G

(2X) X1950XTX Crossfire@ 695 core

2048 OCZ PC 3200 Platinum (2-3-2-5)

Antec TP3 650

Samsung 19" LCD (8ms)

Saitek X-45 HOTAS

Track IR 4

CH Pro Pedals

:pilotfly:

Why upgrade now?

Im in a similar position to you and i will wait till Q3.

1) R600 and its derivatives available

2) Barcelona and its derivaties available or at least performance benched and AM2+ mobo released compatible with next gen AMD CPU

3) Massive Intel C2D/C2Q price drops

4) Bearlake X-38 chipset released with guaranteed penryn compatibility.

In Q3 you'll have a much better idea of which CPU/chipset will dominate for at least the next 18 months and will be able to invest in a compatible mobo.

If your current rig handles lofc well enough then imho you're better off waiting till then.

As an aside i see no point im buying a quad core system now if youre only gonna use it for gaming. Sure Quad core is the future but currently only one game supports quadcore (Supreme commander) and even that shows only a modest 15% FPS improvement with quad.

At the same price point a 3ghz C2D (e6850) would be a better choice then a C2Q (q6600). This is before you even consider the inherent much better overclockability of the duos over the quads esp. in a game like LOFC/LOBS where GHz matters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Rage,

Truly words of wisdom :thumbup:

I am in exactly the same position. I will see how the Barcelona/Agena/Kuma pan out for AMD and then decide whether to go Intel or AMD.

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...
Why upgrade now?

Im in a similar position to you and i will wait till Q3.

1) R600 and its derivatives available

2) Barcelona and its derivaties available or at least performance benched and AM2+ mobo released compatible with next gen AMD CPU

3) Massive Intel C2D/C2Q price drops

4) Bearlake X-38 chipset released with guaranteed penryn compatibility.

In Q3 you'll have a much better idea of which CPU/chipset will dominate for at least the next 18 months and will be able to invest in a compatible mobo.

If your current rig handles lofc well enough then imho you're better off waiting till then.

As an aside i see no point im buying a quad core system now if youre only gonna use it for gaming. Sure Quad core is the future but currently only one game supports quadcore (Supreme commander) and even that shows only a modest 15% FPS improvement with quad.

At the same price point a 3ghz C2D (e6850) would be a better choice then a C2Q (q6600). This is before you even consider the inherent much better overclockability of the duos over the quads esp. in a game like LOFC/LOBS where GHz matters.

Why upgrade now? (more like in May)

I think I mentioned this on previous posts, but I have been deprived of my privacy because my liter mates come on to my room to play FPS's riping me off precious time for LOMAC online. Now Ill buy a badass machine all for myself and give them away this one. Its long overdue and I dont think I can wait for some peace and quiet (and envy that I have a machine capable of running their games maxed out muhahahaha).

Besides I heard a new QX6800 CPU is to be launched soon. Is this true?

When these CPu's become slow, penryn will be going long in the tooth as well and I dont think any new SIM's will be out under 3 years anyway, I think its a bit silly to keep wayiting. Need my peace ASAP.

Almost forgot to mention, barcelona is a server chip, desktop will be Nehalem months later.

My PC specs below:

I have the same CPU from my last build.... I gotta' say that it was a great CPU and still is .. I'm still using this AMD 64 3200 for my office applications..

But it did give me some slow downs and mini stuttering in Lock On but was SOA when I first got it...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR