LCD display?

Hi guys,

Haven't posted here in so long that I forgot my password and had to create a new account. Glad to be back!:)

Through some miracle turn of events, I have managed to convince my girlfriend that investing in a new computer screen was a good idea! So before this opportunity vanishes and I'm forced to buy something at Ikea instead, I thought I'd consult with you guys for your recommendations on the good choices out there, and more importantly how you think a new screen will affect the performance of my system.

This is a pretty big concern for me, as the system is fairly old (p4 2.6 w/800 mhz fsb, 9800 pro, 1G ram) and while I can run FC comfortably, there's not alot of horsepower to spare. Namely, because my current monitor is a standard 15'', I am satisfied with low resolution (1024x768). However, with a new screen I will have to run FC at a much higher resolution.

Also, what do you think about widescreen (16:10)? Are all flightsims supporting that format, and is it a good choice?

I'm looking forward to hear your comments and possibly see what you guys are using as a display, and how you think my system can handle a new bigger screen.

Thanks!

For wide screen monitors you can check this site (forum... wiki whatever :) ).

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

Also there is a thread arround here where you can find out how to set Lock On to run on wide screen format.

As for the normal 5/4 aspect monitors... Check them not to have dead/locked pixels, check them for ghosting and other artefacts and do this while they are connected at the same tipe of connector as you will use them. I personaly like more the ISPS type panels which are more often from Philips. A ISPS panel has generaly better colors and can be identified quickly when you lean yourself under the screen (or turn it on the back) as it tends to go slowly to white as oposed to TN panels which quickly darkens.

The normal 5/4 resolution is 1280X1024 so it will stress a little bit more your system. Alternatively you may use a lower resolution like 1024X768 or 800X600 and by connecting it to a DVI connector you may get a antialiasing effect for free... if you are lucky :) (so I've heard... not tested it )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Yes.. I guess its been that way for a while...

I always see you guy's from Europe here in Manhatten shopping in the electronic stores in midtown....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I play with a Dell WFP2407 which is amazing, but you do need some serious graphics card power to get respectable performance at these resolutions...

Mine is a ASUS 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2, and it belts along with 4xAA and 16xAF at 1920x1200 no problem.

You might also want to consider the older Dell WFP2405 which is the same monitor, just without the Media card readers and some of the connectors on the back although it still sports a DVI connector. It sells for about 60% of the price of the new 07 model.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dell is OK.. But I've heard that the screen is actually made by Samsung and Samsung makes about 75% of the screens on the market today including Sony's....

And Dell is one of the most expensive LCD's on the market.. With no disrespect but I think that your better off doing some on line price comparison ...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I always see you guy's from Europe here in Manhatten shopping in the electronic stores in midtown....

~S~

Blaze

That's right but one thing is to bring for examplke a new digital camera under the customs radar so to speak. And another thing is to try it with 42" sized panel :megalol:

What about purchasing the TFT and sending it to your house say from NY, USA...

Is it possible and is it worth it after paying the shipping costs...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

OT:

one detail, its called LC-Display :music_whistling:

I've got a 20.1" DEll WFP2007 @ 1650x1080 and i love it :thumbup: , BUT

i need more :joystick: Inches, something like 24 or 30

Widescreen support is for me no problem, LOMAC does well with it

Be aware of high hardware requirements

Сами не летаем и вам не советуем.

Войска ПВО

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I think that I will have to settle for something less fancy than the widescreen based on what you just said. I'll wait until the next complete upgrade to go for it...:( Probably a 17'' or maybe 19'' LCD will have to do for the moment. At least they can be very cheap, even Samsung.

OT:

one detail, its called LC-Display :music_whistling:

Doh! didn't know... thanks!