Toggle buttons

Abburo

Hello ED,

While I do appreciate the key customization flexibility that is currently in place with all modules, I am still wondering if you can consider adding a new feature to that menu so that a TOGGLE or HOLD option to be available where needed.

Reason for request:

Those of us which are using various controllers for custom builds can benefit and can use fewer controller inputs to achieve the same functionality.

Example for Airbrake:

- current implementation - Airbrake ON - 1 controller input (could be considered as default TOGGLE)

...................................- Airbrake OFF - 1 controller input (could be considered as default TOGGLE)

- proposed implementation - Airbrake ON (as HOLD) - 1 controller input

.......................................- Airbrake OFF - no input - just release the above button/switch

So, in the first situation there are 2 inputs used to achieve same functionality as in the second option with only one input.

Pumps, lights, APUs.. and many others could be easily adapted into a more ergonomic manner.

I am fully aware this feature could be already achieved by adding them in .LUA files. However changing LUAs is not straightforward for all users and more than that, they are subject of altering during updates.

I could actively participate in LUA adaptions if ED officials decides to add a GUI implementation to the already possible feature.

Thank you,

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

That's not the "correct way" to do it.

Airbreaks work differently on different aircraft. And the keys should always reflect it.

For example, A-10 has springy "Open" where the airbreaks open as long as you hold the switch. Once released, airbreaks hold position. The CLOSE switch does the same, as long as it is pressed, airbreaks will close. (This switch is normal switch). F-16 works the same way.

The M2K is also correctly implemnted. It only has OPEN and CLOSED position (no middle way), and two SB switch options, MON where speed breaks are OPEN when pressed, and ON where speed breaks are also open. The middle position OFF has them closed.

So a correct thing will be to allow via the UI to preform "on release" actions.

This way, you should be able to assign ON-open OFF-closed on your hotas for your own preference.

It's currently available only by manually editing the input Lua files.

Again, the implementation is different between modules. Some allow those type of settings. Personally, I would find this more useful on Radar ON/OFF for FC3 aircraft.

Your asking for the different lua switches to be standard for all modules and to have the flies in place already, this would allow any home built pit to easily set their pit for the IFFCC 3 way switch and not rely on DCS BIOS or the a controller software to modify what the switch does (Held) (momentary) or on release.

I did consider playing with some switches at one point and looked a little into it, makes sense to have them toggle just like how the A-10C warthog can do this with no middle man.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yes, it would be great if we could assign different function to "down" button event, and "up" button event directly in the DCS GUI. This way we could program all the various hotas and physical switches without the need to edit lua files or ask 3rd party devs to create special "hotas" assignments (which they usually forget).

The functionality is already there in lua, just not exposed in the GUI.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro