Actually.....requests??

Robert31178

I only have one request:

Line birds that didn't have fancy nose art on them--unless that nose art was standard for the whole squadron.

The famous named birds or aircraft of specific pilots are great, no doubt, but it's also nice to have bog-standard "grunts" of the sky.

• 3 weeks later...
I only have one request:

Line birds that didn't have fancy nose art on them--unless that nose art was standard for the whole squadron.

The famous named birds or aircraft of specific pilots are great, no doubt, but it's also nice to have bog-standard "grunts" of the sky.

Yeah absolutely. I would love the generic ones of the 365th FS

https://i.imgur.com/FpBx82Q.jpg[/img]"]FpBx82Q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be done even though it is a d-28 version vs 30? I actually talked to this pilot and played pool with his son and in his honor would love this skin. I have this skin in anothe sim and a talented skinner Pip made it.

p9yoe6pg75moh26zg.jpgddoz7q3x7x7xxqxzg.jpg?size_id=cm78089k4pcr3esezg.jpg?size_id=c

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I've hunted around a bit, trying to find real pic of this livery, but no joy. There was an Arizona ANG unit, via Luke AFB, that flew F/P-47D's. From 1946 to 1953. The 197th fighter squadron...

I'd love to have this as a skin, and would use it as part of a fictitious Korea era deployment. :-) I'll keep looking for real pics... Hoping someone might be interested in skinning.

1:72 Republic F-47D-30 "Thunderbolt"; aircraft 44-41415 of the 197th Fighter Squadron, Arizona ANG (Air National Guard); Luke AFB (Arizona), 1952 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 3 weeks later...
I've hunted around a bit, trying to find real pic of this livery, but no joy. There was an Arizona ANG unit, via Luke AFB, that flew F/P-47D's. From 1946 to 1953. The 197th fighter squadron...

I'd love to have this as a skin, and would use it as part of a fictitious Korea era deployment. :-) I'll keep looking for real pics... Hoping someone might be interested in skinning.

:megalol:

1:72 Republic F-47D-30 "Thunderbolt"; aircraft 44-41415 of the 197th Fighter Squadron, Arizona ANG (Air National Guard); Luke AFB (Arizona), 1952 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit)

Are you referring to my post? I have a bunch of pics the pilot have me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 11:39 PM, javelina1 said:

I'd love to have this as a skin, and would use it as part of a fictitious Korea era deployment. 🙂 I'll keep looking for real pics... Hoping someone might be interested in skinning.

There's a reason you cannot find any P-47's in 197th squadron ANG livery.....they never flew the P-47 as an ANG unit.

Last year I did a number of F-86 skins for a member of the Arizona ANG, specifically the 197th which are known by the name "Copperheads", hence the snake design.

As a result I did a LOT of research into the squadron history and scoured the internet for pictures as well as used a book in my collection called "The United States Air National Guard" by Rene J Francillon (published by AEROSPACE).

The 197th traces its lineage back to WW2 and started as the 412th Fighter Squadron of the 373rd Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. Then the 412th did fly the P-47, but never in the "Copperhead" livery.

On the 7th November 1945 the 412thFS was deactivated. It was reactivated on the 24th May 1946 as the 197thFS of the Arizona ANG but was not assigned Federal recognition until 12th December 1946.

It then received its first aircraft as the 197th "Copperheads", which were....F-51D Mustangs.

In the winter of 1950 it converted to the F-84B served in combat in Korea for 12 months before returning to the USA and converting to the F-51H Mustang on 1 November 1952. In the coming years it used the F-86A, F-86L, the F-104A/B, before eventually having its role changed to a transport squadron and ultimately as the refuelling squadron it is today.

So that history aside, there is also the problem that the 197th "Copperhead" markings and nose/tail colours were NEVER yellow, they were always a metallic copper paint and looked very cool in their day. Pilots often painted their helmets the same colour.

How this misconception started I do not know. If I was to guess it would be that one illustrator tried to work from a B&W photo and got it wrong, and the mistake was carried on in book illustrations, model kits and decals for the years since.

The Arizona sun certainly faded the paint as can be seen below, but it was never yellow.

I hope that clears up the mystery for you.

A screenshot of the Sabre skins I did and some of the research photos I have regarding the 197th.

Mst1o37.jpg

Sjz3WFh.jpg

F7QSbmj.jpg

Edited by BoNidle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 6:15 AM, BoNidle said:

There's a reason you cannot find any P-47's in 197th squadron ANG livery.....they never flew the P-47 as an ANG unit.

Last year I did a number of F-86 skins for a member of the Arizona ANG, specifically the 197th which are known by the name "Copperheads", hence the snake design.

As a result I did a LOT of research into the squadron history and scoured the internet for pictures as well as used a book in my collection called "The United States Air National Guard" by Rene J Francillon (published by AEROSPACE).

The 197th traces its lineage back to WW2 and started as the 412th Fighter Squadron of the 373rd Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. Then the 412th did fly the P-47, but never in the "Copperhead" livery.

On the 7th November 1945 the 412thFS was deactivated. It was reactivated on the 24th May 1946 as the 197thFS of the Arizona ANG but was not assigned Federal recognition until 12th December 1946.

It then received its first aircraft as the 197th "Copperheads", which were....F-51D Mustangs.

In the winter of 1950 it converted to the F-84B served in combat in Korea for 12 months before returning to the USA and converting to the F-51H Mustang on 1 November 1952. In the coming years it used the F-86A, F-86L, the F-104A/B, before eventually having its role changed to a transport squadron and ultimately as the refuelling squadron it is today.

So that history aside, there is also the problem that the 197th "Copperhead" markings and nose/tail colours were NEVER yellow, they were always a metallic copper paint and looked very cool in their day. Pilots often painted their helmets the same colour.

How this misconception started I do not know. If I was to guess it would be that one illustrator tried to work from a B&W photo and got it wrong, and the mistake was carried on in book illustrations, model kits and decals for the years since.

The Arizona sun certainly faded the paint as can be seen below, but it was never yellow.

I hope that clears up the mystery for you.

A screenshot of the Sabre skins I did and some of the research photos I have regarding the 197th.

Mst1o37.jpg

Sjz3WFh.jpg

F7QSbmj.jpg

that F-86 looks awesome!  are you able to share it? would love to have a copy and fly with it.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Here you go Javelina1.

These were done just prior to me getting to grips with roughmets so they are the "old style" spec metal finish.

I had intended to upgrade them to roughmets at some point but haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/phkf6fil8cxa4uv/197thFIS_Arizona_ANG.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b1bhllc7sbqxa74/197thFIS_Arizona_ANG-Cactus_Blank.zip/file

Enjoy.

Bo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoNidle said:

Here you go Javelina1.

These were done just prior to me getting to grips with roughmets so they are the "old style" spec metal finish.

I had intended to upgrade them to roughmets at some point but haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/phkf6fil8cxa4uv/197thFIS_Arizona_ANG.zip/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b1bhllc7sbqxa74/197thFIS_Arizona_ANG-Cactus_Blank.zip/file

Enjoy.

Bo

gracias!  really appreciated M8!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, if by any chance some artist finds it interesting, here´s a request:

F-47-30-RA  flown by Portuguese Air Force during the early fifties. 50 aircraft were provided by the US from surviving WW2 Jugs and this particular one had the USAF serial number 44-90251.

Unfortunately none of the planes were preserved for museum display, being the remainig airframes sold for scrap. 

There are some images on the net but, unlike these model kit images, none shows the insignias and serial numbers painted over and under the wings, aswell as nº 3 airbase´s symbol and motto.

03.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

res non verba.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by Captcosmos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hoping for some more generic liveries with dynamic letter codes suitable for the Normandy map:

ALG A-3 Cardonville: 368FG 395FS, 397FS (thankfully we have 396FS already)

ALG A-4 Deux Jumeaux: 48FG 492FS, 493FS, 494FS

ALG A-5 Chipelle: 404FG 506FS, 507FS, 508FS

ALG A-12 Lignerolles: 362FG 377FS, 378FS, 379FS

365FG 386FS, 387FS, 388FS

On a side note, anyone know what FG or FS our "USAF Standard" livery belongs to? 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, Captcosmos said:

F-47-30-RA  flown by Portuguese Air Force during the early fifties. 50 aircraft were provided by the US from surviving WW2 Jugs and this particular one had the USAF serial number 44-90251.

Unfortunately none of the planes were preserved for museum display, being the remainig airframes sold for scrap. 

There are some images on the net but, unlike these model kit images, none shows the insignias and serial numbers painted over and under the wings, aswell as nº 3 airbase´s symbol and motto.

03.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

res non verba.jpg

02.jpg

Hi @Captcosmos

I will do it.

Tudo pelos irmaos portugueses. 🙂

Abraco,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:08 PM, Captcosmos said:

03.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

res non verba.jpg

02.jpg

HI @Captcosmos,

Skin is done and uploaded. The material you provided was plenty to make it happen. Tomorrow It may be available. Avalible on  User Files Download.

4434-1.jpg

I hope you like it. Standing by for your feedback.

Tudo pelos irmaos portugueses. Depois vc me paga um bolinho de bacalhau e um pastel de Belem! 🙂

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
Link insert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1