How accurate are the GBU-12

Kaned Dragon

Hi, I'm suddenly finding the GBU-12 laser guided bombs are missing their targets.

As far as I can tell I'm doing things how I've done them before. But the bombs are missing. By about a tanks length away from the target. So if I'm aiming right on top of a tank. The bomb will hit right next to it, but not on it.

Any got any advice?

In what direction?

Can you determine if the bomb impact is downwind, upwind, short, long, or biased in the direction of the laser intersecting in the ground surface?

A tank length, about 10m, is a sizeable miss difference for a Paveway II. You'll get a few feet downwind normally (about 1' per knot). If the bomb trajectory is slow or shallow it may sag and land short. If there is some issue with the laser spot position the impact may be where the laser intersects the ground surface (instead of the vehicle skin).

In what direction?

Can you determine if the bomb impact is downwind, upwind, short, long, or biased in the direction of the laser intersecting in the ground surface?

A tank length, about 10m, is a sizeable miss difference for a Paveway II. You'll get a few feet downwind normally (about 1' per knot). If the bomb trajectory is slow or shallow it may sag and land short. If there is some issue with the laser spot position the impact may be where the laser intersects the ground surface (instead of the vehicle skin).

I'm not sure, I'll check this tonight. But from memory, they seemed to drop to the left or right of the target from my perspective.

Does the wind speed effect laser guided bombs?

I've been setting the altitude indicator to radar, not Baro, will that effect the bombs?

I've been using Auto release for the bombs. Does the Auto mode compensate for my altitude?

I'm not sure, I'll check this tonight. But from memory, they seemed to drop to the left or right of the target from my perspective.

Does the wind speed effect laser guided bombs?

I've been setting the altitude indicator to radar, not Baro, will that effect the bombs?

I've been using Auto release for the bombs. Does the Auto mode compensate for my altitude?

Alt in radar mode is fine. Using auto is also fine. Assuming all other flight factors are stable, this is a good method of release.

Did you set the laser code on the TPOD before firing the laser? Sounds like you might have missed that (best guess).

What altitude are you typically dropping from? How long does the bomb have to find the laser?

With that said, when in the sequence are you activating the laser? Before release? If after pickle, how long after and from what altitude?

Yes wind can affect laser bombs, particularly if the bomb does not have enough energy or altitude to compensate for it. The counter for this would be on the aircraft to deliver the proper release que for optimal release point. The A-10 has this functionality the Harrier is still too EA for proper steering cues.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord