Mi 8MTV2 bug?

Havremonster

Yah, occasional failure of one engine to start (leading to Gen Failure) with AUTOSTART has been noted.

BTW, you can salvage the procedure by manually starting engine after AUTOSTART completes.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Yah, occasional failure of one engine to start (leading to Gen Failure) with AUTOSTART has been noted.

BTW, you can salvage the procedure by manually starting engine after AUTOSTART completes.

Thanks if only I knew how to. I tryed the cold start up training but then the helicopter whent crazy and flew around by it self. Too much bugs and so little pleasure this module. There should be some support for "easy use" of this module too but no...

...I tryed the cold start up training but then the helicopter whent crazy and flew around by it self...

Sounds to me that you had your collective raised or your collective axis wasn't correct assigned. I fly the MI-8 nearly every week a couple of times and every time i do a cold start - maually not autostart, never had a problem with it.

...Too much bugs and so little pleasure this module....

Can you specify this? What bugs are you talking about?

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Sounds to me that you had your collective raised or your collective axis wasn't correct assigned. I fly the MI-8 nearly every week a couple of times and every time i do a cold start - maually not autostart, never had a problem with it.

Can you specify this? What bugs are you talking about?

Before I did not have these problems with generator failure. It has been lately for about some months. And now the visual bug (see video)

I also can't select "hot start" from ground/parking lot" in mission editor because then the helicopter will spin uncontrolled around before I got the chanse to stabel it. Before I used a Logitech 3D Pro and now a Saitek X52 Pro but even with the trottle full off, the problem is there.

(I use "Ctrl+Enter" for to be able to stable it as soon as I can).

I do not have this problem with the other helicopters.

(sorry for my very bad English) :(

...but even with the trottle full off, the problem is there.

Have you tried with hardware throttle fully on? Maybe you need to reverse the collective axis in the settings.

Another you might try is to whipping out all axis assignments and redo them. DCS sometimes mess up assignments when connecting new controllers.

Edit:

Regarding the generator, have you spooled up the engines by rotating the throttle handle (twist grip) on the collective fully towards you?

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Sorry, i forgot about the video. I don't have these flickering clouds, maybe it helps if you post your system specs and check if you have installed the latest drivers for your GPU.

Also i can't reproduce your "crazy/uncontrolable" problem, works absolutly fine for me. I suggest you double check your control settings for the collective axis! It sounds like there is

a) another contoler assigned to that axis or

b) you have assigned your axis to the collective and put the throttle of your joystick to off but you havn't inverted the axis in the settings(or it works vice versa for your joystick)

If i assign my TH warthog throttle to the collective axis and have my throttle all the way back/idle/off it means full collective/power in the sim! That would result in the MI-8 to go crazy like you describe it. So please check your collective axis assignment and maybe play with the "invert - checkbox"

I have attached two pictures of my settings. As i said i can place the MI-8 cold and hot on the ramp or ground and have no problems. My guess is that it's just a simple problem with your jouystick settings/assignment.

And the problem with your "generator failure" was described by Chic, it is a bug in the autostart. You should try a manuall startup, it's not that hard for the MI-8.

Edit: Sniped by Holton181 ;)

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Thanks if only I knew how to...

I tried the autostart function and saw that it failed to start the right engine. I did a short video to show you how to start the right engine - a little workaround for you until the bug is fixed or until you can do the startup manually. :D

Youtube is processing the video right now, so only 360p at the moment but it should be better quality (1440p) later.

Thanks for all Your support.

I think it must be something with my game or hardware. Everything worked fine a while ago, but only for a week or so...Must have been about three or four weeks ago.

About the graphic issue, it is only when using the Mi-8tv2 and only (as you can see in the video) when looking out from one of the pilot seats.

I have tryed everything, even deleting my save game folder and all the other suggestions that usally comes for to fix bugs. My gpu drivers are up to date. But I'm not sure what to select in "Options/Spesial"

conf.thumb.png.3c9aaee887320506ca3147a2f2f57d22.png

I tried the autostart function and saw that it failed to start the right engine. I did a short video to show you how to start the right engine - a little workaround for you until the bug is fixed or until you can do the startup manually. :D

Youtube is processing the video right now, so only 360p at the moment but it should be better quality (1440p) later.

Thanks a million. I will study that :thumbup:

I would double check if "synchronize controls with HOTAS" (or whatever it's called?) is checked in general game options, so that the helicopter spawns with collective in lowest position (though If other modules work fine, I guess it is?).

The most important thing is - we can see now that you're using "control helper" in Mi-8 special options. Get rid of it. Any automation features and helpers are usually more or less bugged/glitchy and poorly supported in all Belsimtek modules and Mi-8 is no exception. This is where you're right. The helper would teach you bad habits anyway.

The only auto feature that works OK and is kind of realistic is "autopilot adjustment", so turn it on. It activates AI flight engineer (the guy in the middle), so that he constantly adjusts autopilot channels to make the chopper fly more stable. It's realistic, because in actual Mi-8 that's his and not pilots' job to do that.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks for all Your support.

I think it must be something with my game or hardware....

Attached is a picture of my MI-8 special options tab, but i don't think anything there is causing you trouble.

As you saw in the video, i don't have the flickering clouds, neither on the pilots or engineer seats. Do you use any mods for the MI-8? Language/dirty or clear cockpit glass(if there are any - i don't know - just asking)

For troubleshooting your "uncontrolable problem", could you please post a picture of your MI-8 axis command settings and the axis fine tune settings of your "Flight Control Cellective" axis? Like my 2 pictures above in Post #7? So we can check together if there is something wrong with your settings.

I would double check if "synchronize controls with HOTAS" (or whatever it's called?) is checked in general game options, so that the helicopter spawns with collective in lowest position (though If other modules work fine, I guess it is?).

Good point.

The most important thing is - we can see now that you're using "control helper" in Mi-8 special options. Get rid of it. Any automation features and helpers are usually more or less bugged/glitchy and poorly supported in all Belsimtek modules and Mi-8 is no exception. This is where you're right. The helper would teach you bad habits anyway.

I never used that, i thought this option just shows your AP channels and stuff - like ctrl + enter does.

The only auto feature that works OK and is kind of realistic is "autopilot adjustment", so turn it on. It activates AI flight engineer (the guy in the middle), so that he constantly adjusts autopilot channels to make the chopper fly more stable. It's realistic, because in actual Mi-8 that's his and not pilots' job to do that.

This is something i would not recomnent. I once had trouble with this option during some "heavy" sling loading mission, i trimmed my heli and everything was fine but my flight engineer screwd my trim up with his compensation. I would rather use the key bind to tell the flight engineer to adjust the auto pilot. This way he does it only on your command and you determine when he is doing it - so no surprise situation.

I never used that, i thought this option just shows your AP channels and stuff - like ctrl + enter does.

Nah, it also enables some sort of an AI, which tries to control the chopper partially for you, as mentioned in the Quick Start manual. Cyclic and rudder it seems. Most noticeable during takeoffs, landings and hovers. Similar to auto-rudder option in warbirds, and equally controversial, as you never know how much control deflection is caused by you, and how much by "helping" computer.

This is something i would not recomnent. I once had trouble with this option during some "heavy" sling loading mission, i trimmed my heli and everything was fine but my flight engineer screwd my trim up with his compensation. I would rather use the key bind to tell the flight engineer to adjust the auto pilot. This way he does it only on your command and you determine when he is doing it - so no surprise situation.

I guess it depends on the mission and hardware. For just flying around I don't want to keep hitting the damn "adjust" command every minute, so I prefer the auto option. In my experience, once any speed/load/direction transition is over, the AI guy usually calms down and doesn't do silly things anymore. But I also generally don't use trimming much, as it's not good with my extended THW stick, so I have to rely on engineer's adjustments more. When I was using non-extended stick, it was indeed the other way around.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Attached is a picture of my MI-8 special options tab, but i don't think anything there is causing you trouble.

As you saw in the video, i don't have the flickering clouds, neither on the pilots or engineer seats. Do you use any mods for the MI-8? Language/dirty or clear cockpit glass(if there are any - i don't know - just asking)

For troubleshooting your "uncontrolable problem", could you please post a picture of your MI-8 axis command settings and the axis fine tune settings of your "Flight Control Cellective" axis? Like my 2 pictures above in Post #7? So we can check together if there is something wrong with your settings.

I did what you show me on the video and these images and it works a lot better now :)

I dont use mods, not even skins. I Guess I have to learn to fly the hard way now. LOL.

BTW, I use default on everything in Axis tune.

So thanks again to you and to the others here for great help :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I dont use mods, not even skins. I Guess I have to learn to fly the hard way now. LOL.

Then i don't know what is causing the flickering clouds for you. :(

BTW, I use default on everything in Axis tune.

So thanks again to you and to the others here for great help :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good to hear it's working now, just keep :joystick: and it will became very easy to fly this beauty! :thumbup: